2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

LIV with some big money announcements (*** TOPIC MODERATED ***)

CCTxGolf

2 hours ago, smashdn said:

LIV is at event number three.  What you say is accurate certainly, but also expected given the novelty of LIV.

Right, just using your time frame:

Isn't that what LIV has essentially given us?

And we're never getting those great fields because LIV is turning away those top players....

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/liv-golf-league-format-2023-refining-business-model-turning-away-top-50-players

Edited by jdl

20 minutes ago, Stevens24 said:

Patrick answered like a lawyer, " I don't have any plans at the moment to leave after the FEDEX Cup" What about at the end of the year? Like the answer to the question "Do you know what time it is?" "yes"

We shall see how it plays out, but fields like last week are why schedule needs to be shortened. Nothing wrong with taking the week after the British off. The PGA Tour does not need 45 events

How many guys have PGA Tour playing privileges this year ? How many have conditional status ? If you look carefully, there are alternates for every regular Tour event and as well as Monday qualifiers. How do you think some of those players would work their way into the top 125 if those events didn't exist ? Should they be relegated to the KF Tour forever just because some viewers don't want to watch them ? Where do you think Scheffler, Zalatoris, Koepka played before hitting the big tour ? 

I don't need a top 30-60 player event every weekend and the top players take time off anyway.  

Some days the Yankees play the Astros - other days the Yankees play the Athletics. Not every game is a top talent game. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

3 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

🤣

Here he is at the end. Based on how he answers the question/body language, to me it seems like his has no deal now.

They should ask the question like,

Are you going to be playing on the pga tour next season?

Cantlay will be making the move to LIV in 2023 according to reliable sources... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There are two things you can learn by stopping your backswing at the top and checking the position of your hands: how many hands you have, and which one is wearing the glove.

3 hours ago, aus10KC said:

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet... but recent LIV press release about 2023.

https://www.livgolf.com/news/liv-golf-announces-2023-league-launch-48-players-12-established-teams-14-events

My favorite part of it is this.

"LIV Golf League players are expected to compete in numerous International Series tournaments, bringing the world’s top players to locations such as Thailand, England, Korea, Vietnam, the Middle East, Indonesia, China, Singapore, Hong Kong and new locations across the Americas and Europe."

So much for playing less golf, now they have to play the same amount or more in different time zones. The players who signed big contracts were foolish to think the Saudi's weren't going to get their money's worth.

That's not what that means. 

The language is a bit tricky, as people are associating LIV with only the main LIV events. But LIV is trying to be a league/series or whatever you want to call it, so sometimes the "LIV Golf League" is referring to more than just the main LIV events we know about. It's a bit sloppy on their part.  LIV Invitational are the big boys, LIV International is their feeder series.

The "International Series" is essentially going to be their KFT.  So it will apparently be used as the series for relegation/promotion. 

You will have the main LIV events next year, 14 of them.  Then they will have the International Series events too.  They will pull the top performers out of the International Series to relegate the bottom LIV people.  

FYI, the International Series events already exist, they were new for 2022, run as part of the Asian Tour.  They held one in Thailand in March, one in London before the LIV London event in June.  They have events planned for Singapore in August, and Korea in August.

And yes, they have earned OWGR points for the two events already conducted.  The winner of the LIV International England event earned 14 points.  Second place at the 3M Open earned 13 points for reference.  

Edited by subrew
spelling
  • Like 2

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

A few other snippets from the press release I thought were interesting:

Each season will culminate in a Team World Championship match play grand finale.

The 2023 league schedule will not compete with the Majors, international team events or heritage events

LIV Golf League will guarantee open competition with opportunities for promotions and relegations through the LIV Golf International Series, annually delivering new opportunities for international golfers, as well as pathways for amateurs and the next generation of leading players into elite professional golf. This format provides broad exemption categories so a wide spectrum of players can attempt to earn their way into the league. In addition, an end-of-season LIV Golf Promotions event will provide further opportunity for new talent to enter the league.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Snead said:

Let's see and prior to the SGL - 4 majors + Players + Last 2 Fedex Cup tournaments = 7 events. Toss in the Memorial / Bay Hill / Genesis and you have 10.  You can add the Scottish Open now as well. 

Since the closed shop SGL is planning 14 events for next year, how would that contribute to the 10 above ? 

https://datagolf.com/field-strength-table

Your purely American point of view is astonishing, although it shouldn't come as a suprise.
The last 2 Fedex Cup events have limited fields, don't they? The final one has only 30 players, right?
I have my own personal list of interesting events, which doesn't include Bay Hill and doesn't include the artificial "play-offs". Majors, Players, some US tournaments, which are interesting because of the courses. Is the "Genesis" the LA Open at Riviera? (Calling it something else is a prime example for how much the PGA Tour cares about "history and tradition") If so, it is one of the tournaments I always liked to watch, becuase of the course. The Memorial is also a highlight for me. Some WGCs are, but not the matzchplay, because I don't like that course.
The European PGA at Wentworth is a highlight for me, but I would be content to only see all the best European players there.
The LIV Golf events (don't you find it a bit childish to call it "SGL"? How about BMGL, wouldn't that be even better?) wouldn't count towards the 10 tournaments with the best players for me, because I see them as exhibitions.
What I mean is that I want to see the players who play them still being able to compete in the majors

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

1 hour ago, subrew said:

That's not what that means. 

The language is a bit tricky, as people are associating LIV with only the main LIV events. But LIV is trying to be a league/series or whatever you want to call it, so sometimes the "LIV Golf League" is referring to more than just the main LIV events we know about. It's a bit sloppy on their part.  LIV Invitational are the big boys, LIV International is their feeder series.

The "International Series" is essentially going to be their KFT.  So it will apparently be used as the series for relegation/promotion. 

You will have the main LIV events next year, 14 of them.  Then they will have the International Series events too.  They will pull the top performers out of the International Series to relegate the bottom LIV people.  

FYI, the International Series events already exist, they were new for 2022, run as part of the Asian Tour.  They held one in Thailand in March, one in London before the LIV London event in June.  They have events planned for Singapore in August, and Korea in August.

And yes, they have earned OWGR points for the two events already conducted.  The winner of the LIV International England event earned 14 points.  Second place at the 3M Open earned 13 points for reference.  

63434191-EEDF-4C52-8835-7C53B3305225.jpeg

• Like 1

Next year's 2023 field will play a 14 tournament schedule for a total of $405 million, an increase of $150 million. The PGA Tour is thought to face major difficulty competing with this enormous purse amount!656211b6-80ef612ff0a40fb48bb38a93b4fa9afe044ab4fa

Early in 2023 it is expected an announcement will be made that the total purse amount will increase significantly higher, approaching the magical $1 billion mark. yahoo-c1e85bb914542fdc9f0f5b3c66f5ed93fa601ccf

LIV's expanding global platform will add a new dimension to the golf ecosystem, one that provides an opportunity for players and fans around the world to help maximize the sport's true potential. 1-superman-smiley 

Edited by Hocus_Pocus
grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

There are two things you can learn by stopping your backswing at the top and checking the position of your hands: how many hands you have, and which one is wearing the glove.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Snead said:

How many guys have PGA Tour playing privileges this year ? How many have conditional status ? If you look carefully, there are alternates for every regular Tour event and as well as Monday qualifiers. How do you think some of those players would work their way into the top 125 if those events didn't exist ? Should they be relegated to the KF Tour forever just because some viewers don't want to watch them ? Where do you think Scheffler, Zalatoris, Koepka played before hitting the big tour ? 

I don't need a top 30-60 player event every weekend and the top players take time off anyway.  

Some days the Yankees play the Astros - other days the Yankees play the Athletics. Not every game is a top talent game. 

they spose to sit around and wait for an invite to a closed tournament, brah ... ain't fair that they get to enter a tournament and earn points & money while the stars ain't playing ... they spose to know their place, man ... 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, subrew said:

They have submitted an application for OWGR points. Can you provide a link showing where the 1st two events actually received OWGR points ? 

Edited by Ghost of Snead
  • Thanks 1

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

2 hours ago, Ghost of Snead said:

Totally agree.......I think that it's frightening that you have to explain the obvious to casual golf fans......

Edited by Titleist99
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Has LIV secured a television contract yet? Can I actually watch their tournaments and hear their announcers? Only on YouTube? Do they have a terrestrial tv deal? 

• Haha 2

Some flavor of the month driver.
Some driving iron for Links courses.

A hybrid to save my bad shots.
Titleist blades when I feel lucky otherwise something more forgiving.
A Vokey wedge or 2.
I hate every one of my 17 putters.

39 minutes ago, Ghost of Snead said:

They have submitted an application for OWGR points. Can you provide a link showing where the 1st two events actually received OWGR points ? 

They didn't.  Here is a list of every 2022 tournament that received points

And the 3M winner got 26 points

http://www.owgr.com/events

Edited by CaseyC
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ghost of Snead said:

I was speaking of The INTERNATIONAL Series events.  They earned OWGR points, as part of the Asian Tour. 

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, idrive said:

We're about to sell out.  We're being bought.

I'm really sad.

Golf will never be the same. We've handed it over to the next gen.

Only Louder

Oh? How so? Please share! 

6 hours ago, aus10KC said:

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet... but recent LIV press release about 2023.

https://www.livgolf.com/news/liv-golf-announces-2023-league-launch-48-players-12-established-teams-14-events

My favorite part of it is this.

"LIV Golf League players are expected to compete in numerous International Series tournaments, bringing the world’s top players to locations such as Thailand, England, Korea, Vietnam, the Middle East, Indonesia, China, Singapore, Hong Kong and new locations across the Americas and Europe."

So much for playing less golf, now they have to play the same amount or more in different time zones. The players who signed big contracts were foolish to think the Saudi's weren't going to get their money's worth.

I think it would be a mistake to believe the players and their agents were not aware of LIVs long range plans when they signed up.   Certainly at least for the time period they signed on for.   If they didn't like what they saw they wouldn't have signed on. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, subrew said:

Schwartzel won the LIV London hit and giggle (link).

The last time Schwartzel received OWGR points was his T60 at the 2022 PGA (link).

Either OWGR points have been awarded for LIV events or they haven't.  There is no difference of opinion here.  One is factually true, one is factually false. 

Edited by jmck
  • Like 3