2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

The most forgiving irons on the market

BG5

41 minutes ago, Davidv said:

Ping G710 or XXIO 12.

CAn you give more info on the Ping G710s?  I was looking at these for an option.  They appear to be really long and the ball flies really high....seems like a great option

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 26*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

5 hours ago, BG5 said:

CAn you give more info on the Ping G710s?  I was looking at these for an option.  They appear to be really long and the ball flies really high....seems like a great option

They look excellent with the black finish that I should add holds up very well. After 2 years they still look new. Also the finish really frames the ball nice at address and kind of hides the size of the head somewhat appearance wise. They are very forgiving on mishits and launch the ball high and long. Really no negatives at all.

Remember if you get forgiving clubs and practice a lot with them, you will groove the swing you use with them.

Forgiveness used to mean high MOI, which is hard to argue against but for practical purposes a whole lot is not better than enough.  

And clubs got enough a long time ago.

If forgiveness means the ability to take a scoopy, slow swing and “launch” it via added loft and brute force instead of spin, if you use a club like that you will give a swing based on brute force and added loft.

Looking in the mirror is fine, but you don’t need to be overly pessimistic.

Despite all the dubious golf teaching and advice out there, there is enough good info out there that it is possible to learn to get proper contact.

All that aside, get some Tommy Armour Max from Dicks.  All of what you are probably looking for much cheaper than the big guys.

16 hours ago, drumdude96 said:

Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo. This should be the number one answer, hands down.

Yep this or really any hybrid iron set.  Admittedly these clubs look ugly as sin but I prefer function over style and these allow me to post consistently respectable scores the few times I can get out to golf these days with minimal practice.

• Like 2

Beginner's perspective here - do not buy super forgiving irons as soon you will realize that once you start making good contact, you want to move onto the next set of irons especially for distance. So, start focusing on the distance irons from the beginning and put some work(serious work) into it. Range time only helps about 20 to 30 percent, course is where you will truly learn. Plus, some lessons. Do not be scared to take divots(even big ones sometimes) that is where the beauty of irons lies, well when you compress the irons, you end up taking divots and seeing the ball fly is the real pleasure. I started with new Callaway edge set, switched to Apex 19s(not beginners irons, I know) and now playing Ping G425s. I just love them - super forgiving, high and super long. Imagine being able to hit a straight shot over 200 plus yards with a 4 iron, they are that good. They seem to go straight and high unless there are strong winds. May not be the right ones for shot shaping but that is the next level skill.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Deep Sunoji said:

Beginner's perspective here - do not buy super forgiving irons as soon you will realize that once you start making good contact, you want to move onto the next set of irons especially for distance. So, start focusing on the distance irons from the beginning and put some work(serious work) into it. Range time only helps about 20 to 30 percent, course is where you will truly learn. Plus, some lessons. Do not be scared to take divots(even big ones sometimes) that is where the beauty of irons lies, well when you compress the irons, you end up taking divots and seeing the ball fly is the real pleasure. I started with new Callaway edge set, switched to Apex 19s(not beginners irons, I know) and now playing Ping G425s. I just love them - super forgiving, high and super long. Imagine being able to hit a straight shot over 200 plus yards with a 4 iron, they are that good. They seem to go straight and high unless there are strong winds. May not be the right ones for shot shaping but that is the next level skill.

If you're making good contact, you're already getting good distance.  Irons are about distance control, not max distance from each club.  I have several sets of irons, and they all go similar distances.  That's the way I want them to be.  My 7 iron in each set carries 185 or so, and PW is my 145 club.  The last thing you should worry about when you start making good contact is finding another set of irons to hit the ball farther.  Maybe a set that's more workable, but max distance is not the point of your irons.  I wouldn't want a set of distance irons that carry like 15-20 yards farther than what I'm used to. That would be completely useless to me.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PING G400 Max 10.5° GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X                                            

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 16.5° 3HL Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 70 X                                                       

Callaway V-Series 19° 5 wood Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 80 S                                                         

PING G410 22°, 26° & 30° Hybrids KBS Steel Hybrid Shaft X                                               

Adams A4 Forged 7-PW Dynamic Gold AMT X100 D4                                                                        

Cleveland CBX 50°, 55° Dynamic Gold S400

Cleveland CBX Full Face 60° Dynamic Gold Tour Spinner

Odyssey 2-Ball Blade w/Triple Trac

Vice Pro Plus Lime

15 minutes ago, drumdude96 said:

If you're making good contact, you're already getting good distance.  Irons are about distance control, not max distance from each club.  I have several sets of irons, and they all go similar distances.  That's the way I want them to be.  My 7 iron in each set carries 185 or so, and PW is my 145 club.  The last thing you should worry about when you start making good contact is finding another set of irons to hit the ball farther.  Maybe a set that's more workable, but max distance is not the point of your irons.  I wouldn't want a set of distance irons that carry like 15-20 yards farther than what I'm used to. That would be completely useless to me.  

Thank you, I agree with your point but if I may ask - how much practice and how many sets of irons did you go through to settle on that one set which you think works for you? You are spot on about getting the distance versus making good contact but I am sure you can make good contact with a 50 year old iron and would you get the same distance and workability, may be not. Also agree that distance is not the only aspect but you do need to be happy with the distance, so you don’t have to worry about it. If a new set comes along and the PW goes about 130, but checks all other aspects, would you get it?

25 minutes ago, Deep Sunoji said:

Thank you, I agree with your point but if I may ask - how much practice and how many sets of irons did you go through to settle on that one set which you think works for you? You are spot on about getting the distance versus making good contact but I am sure you can make good contact with a 50 year old iron and would you get the same distance and workability, may be not. Also agree that distance is not the only aspect but you do need to be happy with the distance, so you don’t have to worry about it. If a new set comes along and the PW goes about 130, but checks all other aspects, would you get it?

I already play older irons because the new ones go too far for me.  My 130 club is a gap wedge, so no I wouldn't get a PW that only goes 130.  The thing you need to consider is that lofts are much stronger these days compared to 15-20 years ago.  My 7 iron is 35 degrees.  That's an 8 or even 9 iron in a lot of sets today.  I don't need my 8 or 9 iron to carry 185 yards.  That would totally screw up the bottom of my bag and I'd need like 5 wedges.  Your G425 4 iron at 20.5 degrees is what I would consider a strong 3 iron.  My point is, don't focus on the number on the club, you need to know the lofts to make a fair comparison.  If I hit a 50 year old club with 35 degrees of loft versus a modern club with 35 degrees of loft, then yes they will both go about the same distance.  Except the 50 year old club probably has a 6 stamped on the sole versus the new club having an 8 stamped on it.  And as far as how long it took to find what works for me, not very long.  Once I discovered Dynamic Gold shafts, it didn't really matter what heads they were in, they were going to work well.  And I don't practice much at all, I just play as much as possible.  I can't stand hitting balls on a driving range.  I prefer to work on hitting certain shots on the course in actual playing conditions.

P.S.  I do have a couple sets where the PW only goes about 130 yards, and they are about 50 years old.  They are classic forged blades and the PW is 52 degrees, or what a lot of gap wedges are today.  If you really want to improve your ball striking, get a set of old blades and practice until you can hit them solidly the majority of the time.  I also recommend getting some vintage persimmon woods to go along with the irons.  It's really fun to play a round every now and then with classic clubs, as long as you can hit them well that is. It stings your hands when you miss! 🤪          

• Like 1

PING G400 Max 10.5° GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X                                            

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 16.5° 3HL Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 70 X                                                       

Callaway V-Series 19° 5 wood Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 80 S                                                         

PING G410 22°, 26° & 30° Hybrids KBS Steel Hybrid Shaft X                                               

Adams A4 Forged 7-PW Dynamic Gold AMT X100 D4                                                                        

Cleveland CBX 50°, 55° Dynamic Gold S400

Cleveland CBX Full Face 60° Dynamic Gold Tour Spinner

Odyssey 2-Ball Blade w/Triple Trac

Vice Pro Plus Lime

17 minutes ago, drumdude96 said:

I already play older irons because the new ones go too far for me.  My 130 club is a gap wedge, so no I wouldn't get a PW that only goes 130.  The thing you need to consider is that lofts are much stronger these days compared to 15-20 years ago.  My 7 iron is 35 degrees.  That's an 8 or even 9 iron in a lot of sets today.  I don't need my 8 or 9 iron to carry 185 yards.  That would totally screw up the bottom of my bag and I'd need like 5 wedges.  Your G425 4 iron at 20.5 degrees is what I would consider a strong 3 iron.  My point is, don't focus on the number on the club, you need to know the lofts to make a fair comparison.  If I hit a 50 year old club with 35 degrees of loft versus a modern club with 35 degrees of loft, then yes they will both go about the same distance.  Except the 50 year old club probably has a 6 stamped on the sole versus the new club having an 8 stamped on it.  And as far as how long it took to find what works for me, not very long.  Once I discovered Dynamic Gold shafts, it didn't really matter what heads they were in, they were going to work well.  And I don't practice much at all, I just play as much as possible.  I can't stand hitting balls on a driving range.  I prefer to work on hitting certain shots on the course in actual playing conditions.

P.S.  I do have a couple sets where the PW only goes about 130 yards, and they are about 50 years old.  They are classic forged blades and the PW is 52 degrees, or what a lot of gap wedges are today.  If you really want to improve your ball striking, get a set of old blades and practice until you can hit them solidly the majority of the time.  I also recommend getting some vintage persimmon woods to go along with the irons.  It's really fun to play a round every now and then with classic clubs, as long as you can hit them well that is. It stings your hands when you miss! 🤪          

You nailed it for me on many aspects. I am learning the lofts and working to associate the distances and I am struggling a little at the lower end of my bag, currently playing 4 wedges, with a slight gap. Haven’t tried the older clubs yet but I would live to do that soon. Range time helped to establish the basics and the contact aspect but the range balls started affecting the understanding of distances. Course gives you tremendous feedback and numerous opportunities and my game has tremendously improved on the course. Truly grateful for the feedback of people like you I met along in my journey, ever helpful, patient and ready to correct and teach! I am understanding why Golf is called a gentleman’s sport more and more.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deep Sunoji said:

While I agree that 20+ handicaps should not limit themselves to only looking at Super Game Improvement irons, I disagree with the notion that as soon as you start to make better contact on a more regular basis with SGI irons that you will outgrow them to the point you can't continue to improve your game.   I thought that way when I first started playing about 11 years ago.  I eventually broke 90 early on in my second season playing and was convinced by my better playing friends that I needed to move on to GI/or CB players irons to take my game to the next level.  I invested in a set of Adams CB3 irons and while they were great clubs and I didn't shoot any worse with them, they didn't significantly help me evolve my game to the next level. 

Today I game the Cleveland HB Turbo hybrid irons which falls right near the top of SGI offerings and scoring wise I keep pace with these lower to mid handicap friends that insisted my game needed players irons so they definitely aren't holding me back any. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, PhilsFanDrew said:

While I agree that 20+ handicaps should not limit themselves to only looking at Super Game Improvement irons, I disagree with the notion that as soon as you start to make better contact on a more regular basis with SGI irons that you will outgrow them to the point you can't continue to improve your game.   I thought that way when I first started playing about 11 years ago.  I eventually broke 90 early on in my second season playing and was convinced by my better playing friends that I needed to move on to GI/or CB players irons to take my game to the next level.  I invested in a set of Adams CB3 irons and while they were great clubs and I didn't shoot any worse with them, they didn't significantly help me evolve my game to the next level. 

Today I game the Cleveland HB Turbo hybrid irons which falls right near the top of SGI offerings and scoring wise I keep pace with these lower to mid handicap friends that insisted my game needed players irons so they definitely aren't holding me back any. 

I agree to your point that you should'nt move on from the SGI irons especially if they are working well for you and you are happy with most aspects of it like making good contact and getting good distance. I had to look for other options because the Edge set would punish me on bad contact to a point where I had to look for other options. You made a great point by still playing the SGI and still be able to keep up with your buddies.

In terms of pure forgiveness, there's really only one answer:  Ping G series irons.  They have taken MOI to a level not seen previously in irons.

The G410 and G710 have an MOI that's higher than that of the SLDR driver.  Scary.

That said, the question of whether they'll work for you, due to their physical characteristics, may not necessarily follow the forgiveness.  We humans are funny, with all sorts of things that affect our golf games; visual biases, how turf interaction is affected by the clubhead of choice, vertical location of the CG, etc.

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

19 hours ago, drumdude96 said:

My point is, don't focus on the number on the club, you need to know the lofts to make a fair comparison.

Well said.  Club number is largely irrelevant.

Or, if you prefer...  there is no club number.  There is only loft.  🙂

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

On 4/28/2022 at 5:32 PM, BG5 said:

It’s time to look in the mirror…. I’m a complete hack.

I want the most forgiving irons on the market.  

any suggestions as to what I need to buy to make the game easier?

find yourself an older set of Callaway Steelhead XR irons, I think you wll be thrilled with both the performance and looks. If you put any stock in the Maltby MPF they are up there close to 1000. Good luck to you

Taylormade     M4     10.5

Taylormade     M4     16.5  3hl

Taylormade     M4     23 degree hybrid

Titliest             T300  5-GW

Vokey SM 7                54

Callaway PM grind    58

2015 Scotty Cameron GoLo 5

Titliest   Tour Speed

Golf Pride 2G white

On 4/28/2022 at 5:32 PM, BG5 said:

It’s time to look in the mirror…. I’m a complete hack.

I want the most forgiving irons on the market.  

any suggestions as to what I need to buy to make the game easier?

find yourself an older set of Callaway Steelhead XR irons, I think you wll be thrilled with both the performance and looks. If you put any stock in the Maltby MPF they are up there close to 1000. Good luck to you

• Like 1

Taylormade     M4     10.5

Taylormade     M4     16.5  3hl

Taylormade     M4     23 degree hybrid

Titliest             T300  5-GW

Vokey SM 7                54

Callaway PM grind    58

2015 Scotty Cameron GoLo 5

Titliest   Tour Speed

Golf Pride 2G white

On 4/29/2022 at 9:23 PM, Deep Sunoji said:

I would like to update my two achievements today - I broke 50(scored 49) for the first time ever and I got an eagle on par 5 at Okeeheelee(Osprey hole#5). It was a dog leg right - hit a driver(G425 Max 55X) to clear the trees, G425 4 iron and a 15ish feet putt(Spider X putter) - all unbelievable shots. What an incredible feeling that was! Never scored a birdie so far, max 3 to 4 pars per 18 rounds and today scored an eagle. It was 4 ball and I was the one who scored max(always). Ended up scoring a 102 because of a not so good back nine(Heron).

Edited by Deep Sunoji
  • Like 3

Bought 3 sets of iron this year. 
T200 looks great, Eeasy to launch….maybe a little to high for me but could be having the wrong shaft. White AMT. The only thing I didn’t like was the “clicky” sound at impact. Not a fan of the plastic cavity back cover. I wanted to keep them but could not get over that sound. 

Mizuno 223. Not a fan of the looks. Feels GREAT. Nice ball flight. Good distance. 

Mizuno 225. Best looking of the 3 sets. Super easy to hit. 6/5/4 are explosive off the face but with a nice feel, not “clicky”. Short irons feel great and distance control is not an issue.  Project x 6 IO shaft 

Retired my MP54 forged and will play the 225

• Like 1

QI10 Max 9*  Ventus TR 6X Blue

Qi10 Tour 18* Ventus TR 7X Red

Qi10 Tour 4H Ventus TR 8X Blue

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-P Modus 120 S

VOKEY SM9 48-54-58 

TYLORMADE SPIDER x  '24 TP5x

Instead of focusing on the clubs, I would recommend getting fitted for the correct shafts first if you want to improve.  Almost any club will be more forgiving if you are using the right shaft.  I made the mistake of purchasing several sets of clubs and was struggling to improve until I found a fitter who put me into the correct shafts for my swing.  After getting fitted for shafts, my game has improved tremendously, with some practice added. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jorellanes said:

Bought 3 sets of iron this year. 
T200 looks great, Eeasy to launch….maybe a little to high for me but could be having the wrong shaft. White AMT. The only thing I didn’t like was the “clicky” sound at impact. Not a fan of the plastic cavity back cover. I wanted to keep them but could not get over that sound. 

Mizuno 223. Not a fan of the looks. Feels GREAT. Nice ball flight. Good distance. 

Mizuno 225. Best looking of the 3 sets. Super easy to hit. 6/5/4 are explosive off the face but with a nice feel, not “clicky”. Short irons feel great and distance control is not an issue.  Project x 6 IO shaft 

Retired my MP54 forged and will play the 225

What do those 3 sets have to do with what the OP is asking? 🙄
Come on….

• Like 1

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

I had a set of Apex cf16’s that I loved, but late last season I realized time had caught up with my game… it was time to switch to a lighter flex, and graphite shafts.

I bought a set of gen3 XP irons, and love them. I thought I was good with that decision until I hit my friend’s Halo irons on the range.

Fast forward to a fitting which resulted in me getting a shaft lighter than I ever would’ve thought I need, a loft adjustment, and presto! I’m hitting more greens than I have in quite a while.

Within a month, and 11 rounds of golf, my handicap has gone down over two strokes. I’m a 12, hoping to be back in single digits this season thanks to these irons.

I’m all in on the Cleveland’s now. Just ordered the set 5 iron and picked up two brand new original CBX wedges on the bay for under $80 each.

The PXGs are terrific, but the Halos are like cheating. I’m amazed hoe much fun these are to play.

• Like 2

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5