2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Miura wedges worth it?

I played Miura wedges for a couple years before making the move to Vokey.  I used to be a "forged purest" - one piece, cast is crap, etc.  I still have some of that in me, but when it comes to wedges, I'm of the belief that they're a consumable. The two most important things about wedges are the grooves and the grind.  Vokey has a ton of grinds, and are less expensive - thus I'm more more likely to replace them when the grooves start to go.

TBH, I've fallen out of love with most Miura stuff.  My 1008s and BBs don't hold the same place in my heart as they once did, nor do the wedges.  I think the acquisition kinda ruined them for me.  😞

• Thanks 1

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus Blue TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Titleist T100, Project X LS 6.5

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55.13D / SM9 60.08M

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

On 7/12/2022 at 1:11 AM, misterkye said:

They’re not for everyone, but once you go Miura and find the wedge that works for you, you’ll keep coming back. I’m a believer and  wedge game has been on point 👌

Recently had some k grind 2.0’s built by Chris from IG @custom_klubs

39B8EFDC-4E56-4977-A66F-23A68EFEAD59.jpeg

Those are beautiful. i am going to DM the guy now as i don't trust myself to do it. lol 

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 LST 10.5 degrees HZRDUS Smoke Green Small Batch 60 6.0

3 Wood: Ping G410 LST 14.5 degrees HZRDUS Smoke Green Small Batch 70 6.0

5 wood: Ping G430 MAX 18 degrees Diamana GT 70S

4-PW: Ping i230 Nippon Pro Modus 120S

Wedges: Ping Glide 4.0 (52, 56), Ping Glide 2.0 (60) Nippon Pro Modus 120S

Putter: Piretti 801R Tour Only 303SS Prototype

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I now have two rounds in with these and a few range sessions. What I will say is that they are soft and kind of remind me of when I played Mizuno forged wedges in the past. I wanted to match the feel of my MP-64 irons and they were nice. 

They spin just as much as my SM8 wedges do but are softer. I do agree with the comment above - if you need a specific grind or bounce other than middle of the road or high, you’ll need to go Vokey. I am playing almost the same exact bounce as my SM8 but no C grind on my 58. I haven’t found it to be an issue with flop shots or getting out of bunkers. I have been in two bunkers and hit two really great shots. It’s reaffirmed that these wedges will be just fine in my bag. 

Will I buy them again? Probably. I do like matching the feel of clubs and shafts throughout my bag which is why I play what I play. They are on the expensive side and there are other forged options that are cheaper. If I find that they wear faster than my Vokey wedges, I may try Mizuno or just go back to a Vokey model. 

7605967C-D988-42AF-9786-E356DB5D682A.jpeg.7eca6c3063692c5885ddb98e4655e48e.jpeg

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9° - Tensei Blue X Link 65x

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 16.5° - Tensei Blue RAW 75x

Irons TBD

Vokey SM9 46/50/54/58 - S200

Putter TBD

Titleist Pro V1

1 hour ago, MerryTex said:

I now have two rounds in with these and a few range sessions. What I will say is that they are soft and kind of remind me of when I played Mizuno forged wedges in the past. I wanted to match the feel of my MP-64 irons and they were nice. 

They spin just as much as my SM8 wedges do but are softer. I do agree with the comment above - if you need a specific grind or bounce other than middle of the road or high, you’ll need to go Vokey. I am playing almost the same exact bounce as my SM8 but no C grind on my 58. I haven’t found it to be an issue with flop shots or getting out of bunkers. I have been in two bunkers and hit two really great shots. It’s reaffirmed that these wedges will be just fine in my bag. 

Will I buy them again? Probably. I do like matching the feel of clubs and shafts throughout my bag which is why I play what I play. They are on the expensive side and there are other forged options that are cheaper. If I find that they wear faster than my Vokey wedges, I may try Mizuno or just go back to a Vokey model. 

7605967C-D988-42AF-9786-E356DB5D682A.jpeg.7eca6c3063692c5885ddb98e4655e48e.jpeg

I have a 48* in the same your model (with the high bounce), and agree w your thoughts on the limited grind and bounce options (as compared to volley). That’s why I opted for different models throughout the wedges. 

But wanted to mention this to echo your thoughts on Mizuno wedges: holy crap they’re good. I tried a buddies t7 wedge, and it was absolutely the most butterific feel. Just ordered a used wedge to play around w as a back up/practice wedge for the range

Edited by misterkye

TSR3 8* w Autoflex 505x shaft
Titleist 915fd w Fujikura Speeder Evolution IV 661 shaft
Titleist TSi3 4 hybrid w Fujikura Tour Spec Blue 7 

Miura CB1008 4i-PW w Oban CT-115 S shafts
Miura Tour Wedge HB 48*, Miura K Grind 2.0 54* & 60* w Oban Ct-115 wedge shafts
Scotty Cameron Red X center shafted putter (I love anything CS)
Titleist Prov1x

The logical side of me says I've been playing the best wedges because my technique is better this year and I'm in a better mental space on the short game side since I simplified a three wedge setup into a 52* and 58*... 

The gearhead says the Miura Tours are the best wedges i've ever used...

buy what you want and what makes you happy though IMO

• Like 2

TaylorMade Stealth+ 9.0 - Autoflex SF505X

Taylormade Stealth+ 3w - Tensei Blue

TaylorMade Stealth+ 4h - Tensei Blue

Titleist U505 2 Iron - Tensei Red 

Mizuno HMB - KBS Tour 120s 4/5-PW

52*/58* Miura Tour Wedges

Bettinardi Queen #5 - Stability Tour Shaft 

Titleist ProV1 #13

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I played the Miura tour wedges and think they were great. They are forged. Bought a new SM9 60 degree T grind, with 4 degrees of bounce. These clubs are cast. It makes a “ting” sound when I hit it, like when a baseball hits an aluminum bat. I don’t like that sound. I bought it from Titleist and trying to work with them about getting it replaced. I also bought a 56 and a 52 Vokey Forged from Japan. They are expensive and just ok.  Not in love with them.  For now I’m going back to my Miura 60 degree. IMO Miura’s are way better than Vokey. 

I have the Miura Tour 50 and 56, and the KM 60. I love the 60 from the rough and bunkers, but as unpopular as this is going to be on here, I much much prefer the PXG Sugar Daddy IIs to the Miura. They have a much sleeker, slimmer head shape and a more aggressive sole even than the tour Miura's. 

I play the MC502s and those are the single best irons I've ever hit, but when I'm swapping out my wedges towards the end of this year (I play a lot and my Miura's are already showing reasonable wear after half an year), I will probably go back to either Vokeys or get another set of PXGs (I have two sets as I live between 2 countries) 

Haven't tried Artisan but definitely curious about them 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Define “worth it” 

Will you miraculously become a better wedge player? No. 
Will you enjoy a less common piece of craftsmanship? Yes. 

• Like 1

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

I’ve already commented here but will repeat my comment re the k-grinds (and k grind 2.0s)

if you’re going to get a Miura wedge, for my money, those are the ones that are “worth it”, because they are unique and they absolutely do work.

Otherwise Miura wedges IMO are probably only “worth it” if you want an identical feel to your irons, as there are so many other good JDM and non JDM options out there for the same or less money, and vokeys (despite being cast) and other big OEM wedges now do perform really well 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/4/2023 at 8:59 PM, Safirnicus said:

I have 1957 miura K grinds. I'd say they have good shot feedback, not crazy soft but nice compact feel. K grind is great in the sand and versatile elsewhere so I'd say they're worth it. Doesn't dig too much and feels very balanced. I have s400 shafts in BTW.

I'll say this, I had a 1957 KG 60 for a year or so, never played better out of the sand and the crap. Then got a few other new wedges for the grooves, spin, etc. Played like crap in tough spots for that whole time. Put the KG back in the bag three weeks ago and back to my old self. I grant it could all be in my head or it could be the honeymoon phase (albeit with a spouse you previously divorced), but I do think there's something to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just took the plunge and bought KM700 5i-PW with Fire Express DGL90S shaft, KM701 wedges in 52 and 58 shafted with DGL 115 shaft. I also bought 54 K Grind 2 to put into ZNE shaft that I recommended to a friend of mine but ended up in my own hand.

I am not a player at all, playing around 18-20 HC. Not a great ball hitter in anyway. But boy these clubs are by far are best looking, feeling and most rewarding to me. Compare to my PXG Gen5 (that PXG Scottsdale made a blunder, giving me clubs with wrong set up than what I was fitted with, shafted my PW with iron 8 shaft, etc, but i digress)  

The wedges are very soft and easy to hit. I do have to learn to get the feel for distance, different than the MG3 and BigFoot HT3 i played, but the feel and balance in my hands feel most rewarding. Worth all the money to me.

I think golf is not just about getting low scores but also about enjoying the play. Good courses, company and equipment. To shoot low scores you need good skills, first before good equipment. Equipment can only enhance so much. There is a delicate balance to what

price do you pay for a little bit more help you can get, or a little more satisfaction/joyfulness you can achieve. I think I do need lesson more than equipment if I were to improve my scores, but I still would like to enjoy good quality equipment when i go out to play.

I’d like to believe there is room for buying for enrichment of one’s soul 😄and buying for enhancement of one’s playability.  

But then again I am not a competitive player and only play for enjoyment, though I do like to improve my game as I go along.

On 8/10/2023 at 11:27 AM, Wewe said:

Just took the plunge and bought KM700 5i-PW with Fire Express DGL90S shaft, KM701 wedges in 52 and 58 shafted with DGL 115 shaft. I also bought 54 K Grind 2 to put into ZNE shaft that I recommended to a friend of mine but ended up in my own hand.

I am not a player at all, playing around 18-20 HC. Not a great ball hitter in anyway. But boy these clubs are by far are best looking, feeling and most rewarding to me. Compare to my PXG Gen5 (that PXG Scottsdale made a blunder, giving me clubs with wrong set up than what I was fitted with, shafted my PW with iron 8 shaft, etc, but i digress)  

The wedges are very soft and easy to hit. I do have to learn to get the feel for distance, different than the MG3 and BigFoot HT3 i played, but the feel and balance in my hands feel most rewarding. Worth all the money to me.

I think golf is not just about getting low scores but also about enjoying the play. Good courses, company and equipment. To shoot low scores you need good skills, first before good equipment. Equipment can only enhance so much. There is a delicate balance to what

price do you pay for a little bit more help you can get, or a little more satisfaction/joyfulness you can achieve. I think I do need lesson more than equipment if I were to improve my scores, but I still would like to enjoy good quality equipment when i go out to play.

I’d like to believe there is room for buying for enrichment of one’s soul 😄and buying for enhancement of one’s playability.  

But then again I am not a competitive player and only play for enjoyment, though I do like to improve my game as I go along.

How much an iron with the fire express shafts? Km 700 look fantastic, suppose to be the most technology in an iron they make

Very soft, and great for pitch shots and full shots. Around the green, if I need the ball to stop right away, I use my vokey 62 08 M grind 

Driver: Stealth 2 Plus 8* @ 6* w/ Fujikura Ventus TR Black 7X Tipped 1"

Fairway Wood: Stealth 2 Plus 15* @ 13* w/ Fujikura Ventus TR Black 8X Tipped 1"

Hybrids: Stealth 2 Plus 3-Hybrid 19.5* @ 18* w/ Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Irons: Titleist U510 4i 22* w/ Fujikura Ventus Black 10x; P7TW 5-P (looking for the right shaft)

Wedges: Miura QPC Tour Milled (No Bounce) 52* @ 50*, 56* @ 54*, 58*

Putter: Yamada Handmade Limited Edition Samurai Burnt Copper 34"

On 8/12/2023 at 6:54 PM, indianagolf2 said:

How much an iron with the fire express shafts? Km 700 look fantastic, suppose to be the most technology in an iron they make

I thought I had replied to you earlier but apparently i didnt post it.

I cant quite remember the exact figure as I changed and added things ie ferrule, grip, shafts and also wedges. But i think all in all it came out to around USD 350-400. So far DGL express is great.

IMG_2764.jpeg

IMG_2765.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wewe said:

I thought I had replied to you earlier but apparently i didnt post it.

I cant quite remember the exact figure as I changed and added things ie ferrule, grip, shafts and also wedges. But i think all in all it came out to around USD 350-400. So far DGL express is great.

IMG_1355.mov IMG_1355.mov

IMG_2764.jpeg

IMG_2765.jpeg

Thanks a bunch 

• Like 1