2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

2022 KPMG Women's PGA Championship (Jun 23-26)

3 minutes ago, ChronicSlicer said:

Martin Hall is her swing coach, not sure if he also acts as a putting coach as well. If so.. he be gone.

I kinda don’t get this. There’s no way a putting coach is confident in seeing THAT stroke. Whoever it is must be thinking.. What the hell?! That not what we practiced!!

It’s the coach that wants to disengage from this partnership, not the other way around. But coaches don’t do that usually.. that’s why they’re coaches — they accept a challenge. 

5 minutes ago, ChronicSlicer said:

Martin Hall is her swing coach, not sure if he also acts as a putting coach as well. If so.. he be gone.

For Real? That guy is SOOOOO annoying. He over-complicates everything. I have to change the channel when he's on, it's too hard to see him make the game that difficult.

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

4 minutes ago, Cwebb said:

Hope for what though?  To get lucky with a terrible putting stroke?  She is young enough to make change to that stroke, if she wants to

But her putting stroke is fairly new and actually improved her putting alot. I think she just changed to the claw style grip last season or the season before that.  Her 10-15 foot putts are decent.  It's the short ones that kill her.  I think it's more mental than the stroke itself.  She seems to putt fine on Thursdays but come Sunday, the trauma from the past bubbles to the surface.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cwebb said:

There's been some bad putters that are good players over the decades, but man,....she needs to regroup and try something different, again

has she tried armlock? maybe that will help her from shoving and pushing everything. Zalitoris made the switch and has been doing much better, not great, but not as bad and loopy as he has been. She doesnt even get super streaky with it, Rory gets streaky but will ride it for a week or more. Lexi is streaky in a 3 hole block it feels like its getting really painful to watch.

Edited by Tasals

Lexi doesn't need a new coach or a new putting stroke, she needs someone like Bob Rotella, who can get her sorted out.

• Like 4

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

13 minutes ago, HankScorpio said:

But her putting stroke is fairly new and actually improved her putting alot. I think she just changed to the claw style grip last season or the season before that.  Her 10-15 foot putts are decent.  It's the short ones that kill her.  I think it's more mental than the stroke itself.  She seems to putt fine on Thursdays but come Sunday, the trauma from the past bubbles to the surface.

The mechanics of the stroke are not improved and will always rear their ugly head to a higher degree, in the tougher situations.  Time to try something else and work with someone new, again.  It's not working, don't keep practicing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.....which gets into the definition of insanity

Edited by Cwebb
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cwebb said:

Not even the most mentally tough players would do well with that putting stroke.  The bad mechanics are making an increase in confidence unattainable

That's the thing. It works fine for 3.5 rounds, then when the pressure is on it doesn't. She needs to learn how to deal with the inner struggle she has. Just my $0.02

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Super happy for In Gee, but man, you just don't want to see a finish like that. Her hot putter cooled over the weekend considerably, but she never lost her composure. Always with a smile and a posi attitude. She seems to step up in tough conditions. 

... Of course it takes 4 rounds to win a Major and rarely does anyone play all of them well. So where you have your poor round doesn't really matter as long as you have the lowest score after 4 rounds. I will always remember Tiger commenting about someone unexpected leading a Major after 1 round "We'll see if he can keep it up for 4 rounds". Several years from now, nobody will remember how Gee played, just that she won. 

• Like 4

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    CobraAerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

5 minutes ago, IcemanYVR said:

That's the thing. It works fine for 3.5 rounds, then when the pressure is on it doesn't. She needs to learn how to deal with the inner struggle she has. Just my $0.02

That's the misconception....that it works fine before the back nine of the final round.  It's always less than high level tour putting, it just gets accentuated in tough situations.

The odds of being a high level putter with that kind of stroke, are slim to zero

19 hours ago, john myrbch said:

She shot 75, 🙄

Think you could beat her? On that course? 🙄

Edited by RainShadow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

31 minutes ago, OBbogey5 said:

I kinda don’t get this. There’s no way a putting coach is confident in seeing THAT stroke. Whoever it is must be thinking.. What the hell?! That not what we practiced!!

It’s the coach that wants to disengage from this partnership, not the other way around. But coaches don’t do that usually.. that’s why they’re coaches — they accept a challenge. 

Players decide to try new coaches all the time.  When something is proving to not work, you might as well try another opinion

• Like 1

Just now, Cwebb said:

That's the misconception....that it works fine before the back nine of the final round.  It's always less than high level tour putting, it just gets accentuated in tough situations.

The odds of being a high level putter with that kind of stroke, are slim to zero

It's not a misconception, and you're entitled to your opinion. Her stroke is much better and smoother when the pressure is off. Changing her putting stroke will accomplish nothing until she figures out how to deal with the pressure. There are plenty of golfers out there who have bad swings or bad putting strokes that hold up under pressure. Not everything needs to be picture/position perfect in golf. THAT is the misconception.

• Like 4

Just now, Cwebb said:

... I have alway compared the putting stroke to free throws. Look at a good shooter standing relaxed on the line after thousands of practice free throws and it is fluid as well as looking easy. Yet there are those that look uncomfortable just standing on the line and make a free throw look extremely difficult with a myriad of techniques. Lexi reminds me of a poor free throw shooter and just looks so uncomfortable standing over makable putts. 

• Like 3

Me thinks one of our illustrious 4 handicaps on Wrx can putt better than Lexi.  Ouch what was that coming in?  Making bogey on that or 5 after.a great second shot, 3 putting from 12 feet and how do you leave that putt on 18 short?  She has got mechanical issues for sure with the putter as well as nerves.  

• Haha 1

Ping G430 LST 9 Ventus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

Wow, Lexi could have four majors if tournaments stopped at the 63 hole mark😆.  The game is there but she cannot get over the finish line.  Regardless, the history books won't really care, and glad to see In Gee book number three!  Amazing to see her and Anna move up the ranks, while the other top players have all stalled out at two.

Again, the history books won't really care but round 1 was the difference.  Of course, every player could be a couple shots better or worse without breaks/luck (in both directions), but it was an outlier event.  Got her the trophy though and that's all that matters!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RainShadow said:

Think you could bet her? On that course? 🙄

Bet her on what? That she could not break and still win?

CALLAWAY AI Smoke Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

TITLEIST SM9 54-10

TITLEIST SM9 58-8

L.A.B. DF3  34” 69*

49 minutes ago, chisag said:

Lexi reminds me of a poor free throw shooter and just looks so uncomfortable standing over makable putts. 

I've been saying this for years...she looks lost or terrified when getting into her setup. It's very slow and unnatural setup, which IMO, allows for the nerves and past memories to creep in during the process. I agree with @Cwebb on her stroke as well, she does slice across the ball.

I think her putting works from a distance, can it improve, yeah sure, but so could everyone's. But not everyone chokes on multiple putts of 5 feet or less during a back nine round while leading a tournament back to back weeks.

I hope for her mental state that something changes. It would be a tragedy to see her crash and burn off the course. Hopefully she has a good group of family and friends in her corner.

1 hour ago, IcemanYVR said:

It's not a misconception, and you're entitled to your opinion. Her stroke is much better and smoother when the pressure is off. Changing her putting stroke will accomplish nothing until she figures out how to deal with the pressure. There are plenty of golfers out there who have bad swings or bad putting strokes that hold up under pressure. Not everything needs to be picture/position perfect in golf. THAT is the misconception.

99.9% of everyone's stroke is better when the situation is relaxed.  Only the few greatest putters in history might be exceptions, in terms of nothing changing.

You can't expect to finish strong in majors when your stroke is well below average, when the situation is relaxed.  Everyone knows that the odds are that it will not hold up in a tougher spot.

Telling her to "just get tougher" isn't going to work.  The foundation in the mechanics isn't there

17 minutes ago, ChronicSlicer said:

I hope for her mental state that something changes. It would be a tragedy to see her crash and burn off the course. Hopefully she has a good group of family and friends in her corner.

... Everything I read and see seems to indicate she has good support and is a great role model for young girls and she always makes time for them. I think the young girls in particular have a tremendous effect on her mental state because almost like the unconditional love of a dog (in the best possible way) they adore Lexi just as much if she wins or loses. Signing autographs and taking pictures surrounded by such amazing positive energy has to be a good influence on her mental state, at least away from the actual playing of the game. 

Edited by chisag
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Cwebb said:

Atthaya Thitikul finishes right there on the leader board again.  She is one consistent young player.

If you had told us during spring of last year, that she'd now be a much higher ranked player than Patty Tav, it would have been hard to believe

The Thai players are very impressive. I see them challenging the likes of the United States on the pecking order. 

• Like 1