2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Ping i230 pic

jwo

10 minutes ago, benz5521 said:

Does anyone know how Ping iron lengths compare to other manufacturers? 

for example, when I’m fitted for Mizuno, I’m 1/4” over, but Mizuno is already longer than most so I’m really like 1/2” over compared to Titleist and Callaway. I think Srixon is like Mizuno and on the longer side too. 

How does Ping compare? 

I have a old Ping i210 7 iron and the length is the same as my Titleist T300 7 iron.

1 hour ago, Inglewood said:

Also...anyone come from the i525 and graduate to these?  Curious to hit those as well...seems like those might be the equivalent of a zx4 to the zx5 or 7 in the srixon lineup...

I think I230s are miles better. Much better feeling too. I had i525s and just couldn’t find the magic with them. They were just ok and clicky. I found the I230s to go just as far. Granted I’ve only hit the 230s inside on trackman but yeah it was immediate love and for the type of irons they are they go.

I have pxg gen 5 P irons and the I230s were maybe a half Club shorter. Was 2 mph less ball speed but spun 600 more (exactly what I was looking for) and flew 20 feet higher

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, rjp322 said:

I think I230s are miles better. Much better feeling too. I had i525s and just couldn’t find the magic with them. They were just ok and clicky. I found the I230s to go just as far. Granted I’ve only hit the 230s inside on trackman but yeah it was immediate love and for the type of irons they are they go.

I have pxg gen 5 P irons and the I230s were maybe a half Club shorter. Was 2 mph less ball speed but spun 600 more (exactly what I was looking for) and flew 20 feet higher

Great feedback thank you!  Thinking the i230 w power spec is going to be the ticket…

4 minutes ago, Mrgreen36 said:

I want irons down to at least 4i. I like a 3i. 

No hybrids for me. Driver, 5w, 3i. 

Same - I am going to drop my 3wd this year and stick with my 5wd which is automatic (and redundant with the 3 more or less).  Was thinking of playing a utility 4, but maybe Ill go 4-P and get a icrossover 3.

1 hour ago, Z1ggy16 said:

These are potentially going in the bag this year. I'm looking for guys who have had these for a little while if they have any regrets or noticed things over the longer term that they didn't see at a fitting, etc. 

I demoed these and I was really impressed. I thought nothing could take t100 out of my bag but this could be it.

The sole is the only thing giving me a little trouble. 

at a -1 AoA…. I can get a little thin on my miss and these seem to exasperate that. The i59, while a different animal than the i230, are giving me slightly more consistent ball contact. 

4 minutes ago, Inglewood said:

Same - I am going to drop my 3wd this year and stick with my 5wd which is automatic (and redundant with the 3 more or less).  Was thinking of playing a utility 4, but maybe Ill go 4-P and get a icrossover 3.

I will probably stick with my mp18 mmc fli hi. I love that club. 

4 minutes ago, T_Golf_23 said:

The sole is the only thing giving me a little trouble. 

at a -1 AoA…. I can get a little thin on my miss and these seem to exasperate that. The i59, while a different animal than the i230, are giving me slightly more consistent ball contact. 

I think I'm around -4 to 6 with a 7i. The main reason I'm considering switching is because I wanted more sole width haha. I felt that in the softer months the t100 can get a little caught up in the turf. 

I never heard of lengths changing during a fitting by manufacturer...I do know mizuno lies are typically flat by .5* I believe, but thats Ill Ive heard in variance.  Maybe steel shafts vs graphite for length...

well Mizuno measures with the grip off, while most measure with it on, leading Mizuno stock lengths to be longer. I’ve been told this by multiple fitters. Also, I’ve heard like 1.5 degrees flatter than most manufacturers but just what I’ve heard. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, benz5521 said:

well Mizuno measures with the grip off, while most measure with it on, leading Mizuno stock lengths to be longer. I’ve been told this by multiple fitters. Also, I’ve heard like 1.5 degrees flatter than most manufacturers but just what I’ve heard. 

Great info - had no idea!  My last set of MP 225 did seem a little long…makes sense now.

17 minutes ago, benz5521 said:

ping also measures grip off. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Max D 10.5 Diamana ZF 50

Titleist TSi2 16.5 Tour AD DI 7

Titleist Ts2 20 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75

PXG Gen 2 22 Hybrid Kiyoshi Purple

Cobra King Tour 5-g MMT 105
Ping S159 56W and 60B MMT 105
Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4

27 minutes ago, Inglewood said:

Great info - had no idea!  My last set of MP 225 did seem a little long…makes sense now.

My Mizuno 223 stock lies vary in difference flatter vs my i230. Mizuno were ordered 1.5up and pings 🔵. Slightly more upright with the i230 vs my 223’s. Seems the shorter irons in the pings are more upright compared the the 223

Edited by NZ315

5 hours ago, benz5521 said:

for example, when I’m fitted for Mizuno, I’m 1/4” over, but Mizuno is already longer than most so I’m really like 1/2” over compared to Titleist and Callaway. I think Srixon is like Mizuno and on the longer side too. 

How does Ping compare? 

Pings are standard length. You are correct Mizunos are typically 1/4” long.

9 hours ago, buckI said:

This is what I have.   What shaft do you have in wedges?   I have the IO in my 50 and considering it in a 54 and 58 Glide 4.0

I’ve been playing the IO 110 for the last year and a half and had some KBS tour 120 9/w shafts laying around that I put in my wedges. Little heavier and play a little softer. Have really worked well for me. 

Callaway AI Smoke Max D 10.5 Diamana ZF 50

Titleist TSi2 16.5 Tour AD DI 7

Titleist Ts2 20 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75

PXG Gen 2 22 Hybrid Kiyoshi Purple

Cobra King Tour 5-g MMT 105
Ping S159 56W and 60B MMT 105
Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4

9 hours ago, rjp322 said:

I had i525 briefly but didn’t like them at all either. Very clicky, not very forgiving ended up getting i230 and really like them. A lot more solid and soft feeling and just as long with more height and spin.

13 hours ago, benz5521 said:

How does Ping compare? 

compare? please, you have to be specific (iron & manufacturer). between a few of their models PING could have up to a 1/2" difference in "standard" length.

9 hours ago, 20footputt said:

I had i525 briefly but didn’t like them at all either. Very clicky, not very forgiving ended up getting i230 and really like them. A lot more solid and soft feeling and just as long with more height and spin.

Thanks for the feedback - definitely dont need a clicky P790 feeling (nor the fliers!)

Super interested if anyone was fitted for these and went with the power spec...any differences with forgiveness/trajectory/path outside of going slightly lower and further?  Dont want to mess with the good juju I've experienced with these so far during demos...just could use an extra 10-15 yds per club.

I had mine bent stronger and see some extra distance but not the same as hitting p790. That said they are more consistent overall and misses aren’t as left/right for me. Getting use to 150 9i has been the main thing but I’ll do it. 

• Like 1

Blue Velocore+ 6S, TSR4 9deg
Kali' White 70x shaft Ping 430LST 3W

Accra TZ6 M4 Hybrid Shaft Ping 430 3H
C-Taper Lite S T150 4-Gap
S200 Shaft SM10 54S and 58M
Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 Slant Neck

Super interested if anyone was fitted for these and went with the power spec...any differences with forgiveness/trajectory/path outside of going slightly lower and further?  Dont want to mess with the good juju I've experienced with these so far during demos...just could use an extra 10-15 yds per club.

I think u can expect 5 yards difference at the most.....power spec loft is a minimal loft adjustment

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you want an extra 10-15 out of an iron, you're going outside what bending can do for you. You'll either need to get longer clubs as well as bend them -- add +1 inch and bend them down.

What you're creating is the next club up though.

You could go with lighter shafts to increase speed, but your dispersion will suffer. You get the same effect with spring-y irons. They go farther sometimes, but wild back-to-front patterns to go with more side-to-side width.

Basically, it sounds like you don't want 230s. If you think they're short, they aren't the iron for you. You're looking for distance irons, like the 525 bent power. 

• Like 1

RogueST 9@11º 3D (ADDI 6X), 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg

The ones I demoed were stock lofts but I ordered power spec.  Figured, outside they will spin more so hoping the 1.5* of loft decrease offsets some of the increased spin.  My AOA with an iron is only about 1.5 down so Im hoping outside doesnt change my inside numbers too much as I fell in love inside and as I mentioned already, I ordered on the spot

22 minutes ago, rjp322 said:

The ones I demoed were stock lofts but I ordered power spec.  Figured, outside they will spin more so hoping the 1.5* of loft decrease offsets some of the increased spin.  My AOA with an iron is only about 1.5 down so Im hoping outside doesnt change my inside numbers too much as I fell in love inside and as I mentioned already, I ordered on the spot

Thanks for the insight!  I obviously like the distance of competing irons (923 forged, ZX5/7) but there is just some special sauce with the i230 that I cant explain...they just go straight.  Consistently. 

For that, I am willing to give up 5-10 yards...maybe it will make me focus more on an efficient move in my swing to gain yardage instead of buying it through hot, loft-jacked irons.

• Thanks 1

I am a high handicap and I was fit for these this past Saturday. This was my first ever club fitting and it didn't even cross my mind to try ping but the fitter said "Let's try this ping, I think it might be better for you". It turned out to be true. Dispersion and distance were very consistent compared to the others I tried (p790,jpx923,paradym). We tried several different shafts and the stock DG R300 performed best for me.

I ordered 5-PW, DG 105 R300, Tour velvet midsize and was told 2-3 weeks. It's still in the 30F degree range where I live so I can wait.

Edited by ae1985
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, ae1985 said:

I am a high handicap and I was fit for these this past Saturday. This was my first ever club fitting and it didn't even cross my mind to try ping but the fitter said "Let's try this ping, I think it might be better for you". It turned out to be true. Dispersion and distance were very consistent compared to the others I tried (p790,jpx923,paradym). We tried several different shafts and the stock DG R300 performed best for me.

I ordered 5-PW, DG 105 R300, Tour velvet midsize and was told 2-3 weeks. It's still in the 30F degree range where I live so I can wait.

I never used to be fit…:until I did one. Now I get fit for everything, down to putter and wedge shafts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR4 Ventus Black 6X

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5 Wood Ventus Black 8X

TaylorMade UDI 3 20* KBS Tour Proto Hybrid 95X

Ping i230 4-PW Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX6 ZipCore 50,54,58

L.A.B. DF3

-Pro V1X

23 hours ago, Inglewood said:

Thanks for the insight!  I obviously like the distance of competing irons (923 forged, ZX5/7) but there is just some special sauce with the i230 that I cant explain...they just go straight.  Consistently. 

For that, I am willing to give up 5-10 yards...maybe it will make me focus more on an efficient move in my swing to gain yardage instead of buying it through hot, loft-jacked irons.

I got the stock lofts in mine. I picked up 5-10 yards vs my Mizuno Pro223 set. These are straight too well according to the Trackman. Still need to get these babies outdoors! Hopefully only 4 more week’s🤞🏻 

• Like 1