2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Ping i230 pic

jwo

Anybody know where the vertical center of gravity is on the i230's? I noticed they're not on the Maltby playability specs yet. I tend to get along with irons with VCOG that's a little higher. I noticed the i210's are really high at .913, which surprised me. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Ventus Blue TR 6

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75

Callaway AI Smoke TD 18° | Tensei AV White 85

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95
Maltby TS1 IM/TS4 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120 Black 

LAB DF3 Counterbalance - TPT Shaft

5 hours ago, ilikegolf said:

Noted that Ian Fraser has gone to blue dot in his i230, whereas he has always played several degree flat lie angles in his past iron sets.

Ive hit these in my normal 2 degree flat, orange dot, and found that they started right of target and I was hitting push cuts, which is rather abnormal for me. Eventually tried black dot in them and was able to see my normal draw.

Im very sensitive to lie angle and this was really quite surprising for me, anyone else notice the same?

I tested the i230s 2 flat on GC3 against my current 2 flat JPX 921 Tour and definitely felt like they were starting further right of target and ending right of target compared to the Tours.  I'm thinking of ordering 1 flat.  I tried the standard lie and felt like that was too much for me.

34 minutes ago, oc_mike said:

I tested the i230s 2 flat on GC3 against my current 2 flat JPX 921 Tour and definitely felt like they were starting further right of target and ending right of target compared to the Tours.  I'm thinking of ordering 1 flat.  I tried the standard lie and felt like that was too much for me.

Mizuno stock lie angles are already a full degree more flat than pings stock lie angles.

This was a really big part of the reason why Ian seems to have chosen these this year. 

Although a lot of players distance irons have a weight in the toe, the fact that the i230 has designed the club with a heavier toe weight and placed some weight in the hosel vs in the heel of the club head (like most irons have), seems to factor into this club working well for those who traditionally played flat lie angles. 

Edited by ilikegolf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Callaway Paradym TD 9* - Diamana ZF 60X

Sim Ti 15* - Evenflow Riptide CB 70S
Ping G425 3 Hybrid - Tensei Orange S

Srixon ZX5/7 - Accra TZI 105 S/X

Vokey 54D - KBS

Vokey 60M - KBS

Ping PLD DS72 Hovi Build 

1 hour ago, ilikegolf said:

Mizuno stock lie angles are already a full degree more flat than pings stock lie angles.

This was a really big part of the reason why Ian seems to have chosen these this year. 

Although a lot of players distance irons have a weight in the toe, the fact that the i230 has designed the club with a heavier toe weight and placed some weight in the hosel vs in the heel of the club head (like most irons have), seems to factor into this club working well for those who traditionally played flat lie angles. 

Can speak to this. I played red dot in the i210 and ordered i230s in red dot only to have to send them back to get them black dotted. Red dots for me were starting right and just hitting wipey fades with hardly any distance. Black dots have my normal little fade and distance is there. Amazing what 1° does!

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 9° / Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 6S, 45.5"

Titleist TSR2 16.5° & 21°/ Project X HZRDUS 4G Black 6.0 70g

Srixon ZX7 MkII 4-PW / KBS C-Taper Lite 110g S

Vokey SM10 Nickel 48.10 F / Project X IO 6.0 110g

TaylorMade MG3 54.11 SB, 58.11 SB / Mitsubishi MMT 105 S

PXG Mini Gunboat / BGT Stability Tour Black LE / 34"

Titleist ProV1 / Golf Pride MCC+4 Blue/Gray/Red

Can anyone who recently received a custom order (either for themselves or for a customer) comment as to the current turnaround time?

Edited by ktyler2
  • Like 1

TM 300 Mini 11.5 AD-DI 7X

TM Sim2 Max 3HL AD-DI 7X

TM Sim2 Max 7-Wood AD-DI 8X

Ping i230 5-UW LAGP L-Series 120S

Ping Glide 3.0 52-12

Vokey SM8 58-10S

Vokey SM8 62-08M

Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4/TM Spider X Hydroblast

1 hour ago, ktyler2 said:

Can anyone who recently received a custom order (either for themselves or for a customer) comment as to the current turnaround time?

I first ordered on January 26th. I had to cancel that order and substitute a different shaft because my original order had the shaft back ordered with no time table. I updated the shaft selection on February 13th and they shipped today. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ktyler2 said:

All depends on the shaft. I ordered mine on 30 Nov, and I'm still waiting for a spec check -- and then they can get shipped overseas.

Plenty of people have received them quickly. I have graphite shafts coming that were in low supply. Just gotta get them before it gets mushy down here in 2 months.

RogueST 9@11º 3D (ADDI 6X), 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg

I demo'ed and fit mine with the Aerotech i95 and i110 in both stiff and regular. Hit the stiffs well, launch was high (what I want/need) and spin was perfect, but have always played Aero i95 R soft-stepped as the play very firm to flex (SS is about 95-100 w the driver). Went to order them, and for some reason the PGA Superstore system was not showing them, even though PING lists them as an option. So I got worried, and ended-up ordering another shaft that I know very well, and have played many times before and still play exclusively in my wedges. The PX LZ 5.5. I have always had a love hate with the LZ's in my irons, always love in the wedges (but I SS the 8 iron into the wedges). Don't quite know why, but I think it's because I really should be in the 5.0's (those who say these feel soft to flex might be correct, due to the midsection, but in actuality, they measure just as stiff if not stiffer than the standard PX, which we all know play firm to flex), but I like the weight of the 5.5's. So they end-up being very head weight specific. Meaning a heavier head (like my P790's, or my old ZX5's) with these SS1X are perfect for me. Straight in and I cannot elevate them, 2X SS, and they are mush, but with a heavier head, where they swingweight at D2+ at a 37.75 5 Iron, they play great. I think I will play the i95's more exclusively when my swingspeed drops (plus I have a somewhat aggressive transition), but I tend to over power and pull irons in my flex at 95G's in the summer. Anyway, they took about 3-4 weeks. I was worried about the build, reading some horror stories here of missing toe weight, wrong swingweight, not softstepped, etc. As such, I made sure that my fitter was in direct comes with their PING rep, to double and triple check my order, as it was PX LZ 5.5 SS1X, D2 (5-8), D2+ (9), D3 (P and G), and Orange Dot. Have not checked the loft/lies, but the rest of the build came perfect They were closer to D1 than 2, but when you put on an MCC (47 grams), they were bang on D2, but I used MCC+4 at 52 grams.

Had a fitting today - i230, ZX5/7 combo and 923 Forged were contenders.  I know the stock ping loft on 7 is 33* vs 31 and 30 respectively, and mizuno are flatter lie stock…I found the ping were going higher and shorter than the other two by 10-15 yards consistently.  LZ6.0 shafts on all…not even sure the power spec could make up the difference.  They do go straight…but my fitter ruled them out early on due to distance.

Edited by Inglewood
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Inglewood said:

Had a fitting today - i230, ZX5/7 combo and 923 Forged were contenders.  I know the stock ping loft on 7 is 33* vs 31 and 30 respectively, and mizuno are flatter lie stock…I found the ping were going higher and shorter than the other two by 10-15 yards consistently.  LZ6.0 shafts on all…not even sure the power spec could make up the difference.  They do go straight…but my fitter ruled them out early on due to distance.

That’s why you try them. Go with what works best for you 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Inglewood said:

If I can ask, and assuming that power-spec would close maybe half the distance gains… why would you prioritise distance over accuracy in your irons?

• Like 4

RogueST 9@11º 3D (ADDI 6X), 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Inglewood said:

Fitter said the spin numbers and height were too high and efficiency was lacking compared to the comps.  He simply said it didn’t fit for me compared to other options.

Not to question your fitter, but when those 2 things (too high with excessive spin) occur at the same time with irons, it's a blessing because lowering the loft fixes both.  I'd be eating those i230's up with a spoon.  "So I can bend them 1° strong and get proper trajectory as well as reduced spin?  Perfect."

...if you were hitting them low with too much spin, or vice versa, that would be an issue. 

Edited by underwater

All fair points. End of day, I can’t get over how straight the 230s go…consistently.  That alone may be worth rolling the dice on the power spec snd just dealing with slightly shorter yardages.  I’ve been following forums on the 923 forged and zx5/7 and hearing some horror stories, specifically on mizuno gapping and quality control issues.  Neither blew me away to be fair…may keep toying with shaft options in the i230 at golftec during practice. 

I  also have a set of T100S irons and just ordered a set of i230’s and glide forged pro wedges.  Looking for a little more consistent iron play and more control with wedges.  I primarily play early mornings when there is a lot of dew on the grass and these irons/wedges perform great in those conditions.  Can’t wait to get them in.

All Titleist

I noted on Carl’s under the customize i230 section, lz 6.0 are only 15.00/shaft less than oban ct115s.  Curious bc these are both the shafts I play and am considering.

On miura and other sites where oban are an option, they’re usually 90/shaft…so as much as it sucks to have an upcharge  for LZ with ping (as they’re no upcharge with mizzy, Srixon), the obans seem like a “steal”.  Anyone know if certain shafts are taking significantly longer on orders?

12 minutes ago, Inglewood said:

I noted on Carl’s under the customize i230 section, lz 6.0 are only 15.00/shaft less than oban ct115s.  Curious bc these are both the shafts I play and am considering.

On miura and other sites where oban are an option, they’re usually 90/shaft…so as much as it sucks to have an upcharge  for LZ with ping (as they’re no upcharge with mizzy, Srixon), the obans seem like a “steal”.  Anyone know if certain shafts are taking significantly longer on orders?

My Darts are taking a while, but you can't get them any other way really -- short of walking heads into UST in Dallas.

Obans are a steal. Put the order in, and lock in the price. If it takes a month, you're still saving over $500. 

• Like 1

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg

On 2/28/2023 at 8:42 PM, ktyler2 said:

Ordered 2/15 and shipped yesterday. 4-GW, DG120 X100’s. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR4 Ventus Black 6X

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5 Wood Ventus Black 8X

TaylorMade UDI 3 20* KBS Tour Proto Hybrid 95X

Ping i230 4-PW Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX6 ZipCore 50,54,58

L.A.B. DF3

-Pro V1X

I love my i230s with Modus 105 stiffs. I play mine at +3/4" (green dot) and power spec. I have been interested in trying out Oban CT 100 stiffs. Does anybody have any experience with Oban CTs? Any comparison to Modus 105? 

I was going to snag some shafts and reshaft my iBlades with the Modus and put the Oban's in my i230s. 

DR: Qi10 Core 10.5˚

FW: G430 LST 3W 15˚ // G430 Max 18˚

UW: OG Apex UW 19˚

HY: G425 22˚H

IRONS: NL 480DB 5-PW

WEDGES: NL 50SS, 54VS, 59FF

PUTTER: Spider Tour CB 38" or Lajosi Lawson Longneck Proto

BALL: Maxfli Tour X

44 minutes ago, zlawson36 said:

I love my i230s with Modus 105 stiffs. I play mine at +3/4" (green dot) and power spec. I have been interested in trying out Oban CT 100 stiffs. Does anybody have any experience with Oban CTs? Any comparison to Modus 105? 

I was going to snag some shafts and reshaft my iBlades with the Modus and put the Oban's in my i230s. 

I was fit multiple times for LZ 6.0 - went down the Miura rabbit hole last season when I grew sick of waiting for Mizuno to deliver and picked up some MC-501s with Oban CT 115 S.  My wheelhouse for shaft weight is typically 115 to 120 on the top end...anything more feels like swinging ribar.  I also ended up trying some Project X IO 6.0 late season on Mizuno Pro 225 - waaay too light for my tempo/speed at 110g.

With that context, back to the Oban question - given, I played the 115 in a stiff, but they're insanely smooth.  Not sure how else to put it.  I love the LZ 6.0 weight and loading flex, but there is nothing in a steel shaft as smooth as Obans.  Nothing. They do tend to have a little higher of a trajectory, although I would still call it 'mid'.

That being said, I'd better get an order in before Ping backorders on Obans lol.

Edited by Inglewood

Question for the group:  I know when you add .5" to shaft length, that changes the lie angle 1* upright; removing .5" changes lie 1* flat. I also understand that changing lie angle upright causes more left shots; flat will generally cause slices/pushes.  

My thought on an order is two-fold:

First, I feel like I always hit better shots when I cut down my shafts a bit.  I am only 5'10" and my driver shaft as well as fairway woods are -.75".  Tempted to go -.25" on irons...my miss is left, so a slight shaft decrease may (in theory) help trajectory to start right with a flat .5* from the shaft decrease?

Also, if someone orders the 'power spec' lofts, will that have any effect on the above factors aside from (hopefully) lowering trajectory/adding distance?  Just trying to tie everything into the equation for an order...appreciate the group's knowledge!

Edited by Inglewood

1 hour ago, Inglewood said:

Question for the group:  I know when you add .5" to shaft length, that changes the lie angle 1* upright; removing .5" changes lie 1* flat. I also understand that changing lie angle upright causes more left shots; flat will generally cause slices/pushes.  

First, I feel like I always hit better shots when I cut down my shafts a bit.  I am only 5'10" and my driver shaft as well as fairway woods are -.75".  Tempted to go -.25" on irons...my miss is left, so a slight shaft decrease may (in theory) help trajectory to start right with a flat .5* from the shaft decrease?

Also, if someone orders the 'power spec' lofts, will that have any effect on the above factors aside from (hopefully) lowering trajectory/adding distance?  Just trying to tie everything into the equation for an order...appreciate the group's knowledge!

- Adding .5" changes the dynamic lie +.75°. (*but not the actual lie relative to the shaft. More just your perception based on how you now hold a longer club.  Imagine if the iron were 6 feet long, the toe would appear "up"  and heel down to you because the club is so far out in front of you).  So on paper, the shorter you cut your clubs, you should increase the color code up (from black to blue).  And conversely the LONGER you made you clubs, the flatter the color code you should move towards (from blue to black).  But there are mitigating factors so this isn't a hard and fast rule.  You may make personal adjustments when your minds eye sees the shorter or longer club.

- The shorter the club, the closer your hands are to the ball, the easier to hit. (to a point).  7i is easier to hit than 2i. (loft is also in play, here)

- PowerSpec will not change the lie or length of the club.  It will impact the sole relief and offset but likely not noticeable to you. (the offset will be INCREASED the stronger the iron bend (power spec)).  

Edited by underwater
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Inglewood said:

Came from a set of ZX5 irons myself and am now testing a set of powerspec i230.

The Srixons are some of the lowest spinning irons out there, and every iteration seems to find a way into my bag. With the spin being so low, they seem to always go almost a full club further for me than other brands, with my 7 iron spin in the mid 5500 range its no wonder why. Even at power spec with the pings my seven iron spin is now above 6700, and im still a half club shorter on average.

My miss is exactly like yours, left with both pulls and over draws and I come quite a bit inside with somewhere like 4-6 degrees in to out. 

When I pull a shot that continues drawing, it really shatters confidence during the round because things can get hairy quick with that low of a spin. So im trying something different this year.

I play my srixon 4-8 at 2 degrees flat and 9 through 60* 2.5-3 degrees flat to try and counteract the left miss, Even playing the clubs this flat, I tend to do best when I choke down on my srixon at least a half inch or more. No loss in distance and even gaining yardage when I choke down. 

With the pings im at 1 red dot in all irons except for orange dot in the wedge. Much better starting line with the pings and they hold their line really well with seemingly less side spin. Very satisfying to take full swings without a fear of a left miss.

I miss the distance but will try and see how my arccos stats hold up with the i230 for the a couple rounds. 

Going to left dash prov1x this year. 

Edited by ilikegolf
  • Like 3

Callaway Paradym TD 9* - Diamana ZF 60X

Sim Ti 15* - Evenflow Riptide CB 70S
Ping G425 3 Hybrid - Tensei Orange S

Srixon ZX5/7 - Accra TZI 105 S/X

Vokey 54D - KBS

Vokey 60M - KBS

Ping PLD DS72 Hovi Build