2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Complaints about slow play...

Regardless of how fast you are, open holes in front, let a group on your tail pass - Legit complaint about the golfers who don't do this 

Regardless of how fast you are, course is stacked and no where to go but everyone within max PoP - Not a legit complaint

Regardless of how fast you are, course is stacked and no where to go delayed max PoP - Legit complaint about the course management

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mr. Bean said:

- Be ready when it is your turn.

- Whenever possible, move to your own ball while others are playing their ball.

- Make all the preparations you can while waiting for your turn (gauge wind, use DMD, put your glove on (!!), choose your club, make your practice swings, etc.)

- Play ready golf. If you are ready to play then play even if it is not your turn. Just ask the others "I am ready, may I play?"

- After having finished a hole and arriving to the teeing area first then play first. Do not wait for the one having the honors.

- On the green do all the reading while others are playing there balls. You are free to move around until another player starts to address their ball.

- Shorten your routines. You do not have to take three practice swings every time.

- Once again, play ready golf

These should get one started.

It's funny, these all just scream common sense to me. 

I also have to think golf on TV is contributing to slow play. 

"- Make all the preparations you can while waiting for your turn (gauge wind, use DMD, put your glove on (!!), choose your club, make your practice swings, etc.)"

I think this is a HUGE issue, especially on Tour. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, golfer07840 said:

It's funny, these all just scream common sense to me. 

Sure they do but one needs to THINK in order to come up with them and THINKING is not one of the assets commonly in use on a golf course. All one does is concentrating on one's OWN play instead of watching what the others do and match one's own actions to the play of the others.

Playing rapidly is very easy once you start thinking what you should do and when. But as I said, thinking is a rare occurrence on a golf course.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Warrior42111 said:

Regardless of how fast you are, open holes in front, let a group on your tail pass - Legit complaint about the golfers who don't do this 

Regardless of how fast you are, course is stacked and no where to go but everyone within max PoP - Not a legit complaint

Regardless of how fast you are, course is stacked and no where to go delayed max PoP - Legit complaint about the course management

how-why.gif

55 minutes ago, golfer07840 said:

I think this is a HUGE issue, especially on Tour. 

TV golf is just a show. Their most important issue is getting the thing wrapped up in time for the 6 o'clock news.

• Like 3

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

8 hours ago, NNJ said:

Could be, but it looked more like this was how they played each time they went out. I guess my point is, if I play a 4 or even 5 hour round because the course is slow all around, so be it, I’ll drink a few beers and roll with it. However if a single group is playing in a manner which messes up the flow and is way off the pace of everyone else, with the course open in front of them, and fast groups behind them, it can be frustrating. Especially when the course has clearly worked pretty hard to keep things moving on one of the busiest golf days of the year.

Just once I'd like to see a thread entitled "Complaints About Fast Play". :classic_laugh:

But this.

Ya gotta roll with it.

As you well know, Crystal Springs, if the rough is up, and often even if it isn't, is often a 5 hour round. You just can't help it.

But part of the problem, especially with a quick(?) 4-some being "held up", is a lot of players don't understand where the "kinks in the chain" are. The "natural" ebb and flow of the golf course.

Par 3s and par 5s almost always cause expansion and contraction, for various reasons.

Look for 1 or 2 balls on a hole and you're a full shot and a half a hole behind. And if the group ahead is playing well (and your group isn't), make that a full hole behind.

Your group can try to make it up, but if you've already been following Mr Bean's "best practices" example, you're already moving pretty much as fast as you can - so how can you pick up time ???

I understand in Europe, getting a driver's license is not only expensive but one must really study the rules of the road, and pass comprehensive written AND road tests. Unlike here in the U.S. where cost matters not at all, you answer a dozen pretty easy multiple choice questions, and, if you can start the car and turn on a turn signal, you pass. 🙃 (OK, OK, I'm exaggerating,,,,,,,,, a little,,,,,,, :classic_rolleyes:)

Rules of the COURSE ? Mr. Bean's suggestions would be a great idea for golfers, even a shortened version.

Edited by nsxguy
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

3 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

Most people do not understand.

Most people do not want to understand.  I think they prefer to be unobservant idiots on the course... more fun that way.  The hell with the people behind them.

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Like 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

... Slow play always reminds me of a George Carlin bit "Ya ever notice that anyone driving slower than you is a MORON and anyone driving faster than you is a MANIAC?!?!?"  We all have our own idea of what a good pace should be. Many times depending on our ability and how long it might take us playing a fun round on a course where we are the only ones playing. But of course on most courses we are not alone because they are filled with MORONS and MANIACS and when the two collide it can be a problem. 

... Who are we to decide what pace of play is appropriate for someone else? Some mid/high index with their buddies playing for fun and taking their time playing in 4:15 minutes is not egregious. Slower than I would like for sure but I have to share the course with others so it is what it is. By the same token some low index player looking to fly around on a crowded course in 3 hours is also going to be disappointed in pace of play but again, they have to share the course with others. 

... In the end anything between 3:30 and 4:30 should be expected. Most courses have something on the card like "allow faster players to play through" or like Southern Dunes in the Phoenix suburbs "Please remember that your position on the course is immediately behind the group in front of you, not immediately in front of the group behind you". So this should be simple. If there is an opening in front of you, allow a faster group to play through, if for no other reason than getting rid of the negative energy surrounding those pi$$ed off behind you.

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

6 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Who are we to decide what pace of play is appropriate for someone else? 

Exactly. In other words, who are we to rob someone else's time by not inviting them through? I believe that is what you mean. 

Letting faster players through has been part of the Etiquette of Golf longer than anyone of us has lived. I cannot think of any rational reason to change that principle.

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

- Make all the preparations you can while waiting for your turn (gauge wind, use DMD, put your glove on (!!), choose your club, make your practice swings, etc.)

- Play ready golf. If you are ready to play then play even if it is not your turn. Just ask the others "I am ready, may I play?"

- After having finished a hole and arriving to the teeing area first then play first. Do not wait for the one having the honors.

- On the green do all the reading while others are playing there balls. You are free to move around until another player starts to address their ball.

- Shorten your routines. You do not have to take three practice swings every time.

You nailed it!!!  And nowhere in there did you say that a person needs to walk faster.

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Like 1

They may have been adapting their pace of play to the OP's to avoid frustration.  OP's pace wasn't unreasonable, assuming they were walking, and the course was wide open up ahead. But with a wide open golf course a foursome in carts ought to be able to get around in less than 2 hours (yes, conditions vary), but again, 2 hours isn't unreasonable per se.

Let them through. Less frustrating for your group, less frustrating for them.

Nothing to be gained by sticking it to them because you think they may be playing the same pace or because you think they should be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

They may have been adapting their pace of play to the OP's to avoid frustration.  OP's pace wasn't unreasonable, assuming they were walking, and the course was wide open up ahead. But with a wide open golf course a foursome in carts ought to be able to get around in less than 2 hours (yes, conditions vary), but again, 2 hours isn't unreasonable per se.

Nothing to be gained by sticking it to them because you think they may be playing the same pace or because you think they should be.

2 hours??? On what planet can a 4 some play 18 holes in 2 hours? 

5 hours ago, Itsjustagame said:

While I am absolutely in favor of letting people play through it seems all too often that the group who is in a hurry when they are behind you butchers the current hole when they try to play through. By the time they are done there is another group on the tee box and the problem just repeats.

If you are playing through you also have a responsibility to keep the pace up. 

A long time ago when I was learning to play I let a single play through. He got to the green and then just picked up his ball and went to the next hole without putting. I do the same thing now when someone let's me play through.

I've long wondered if carts should be charged by the hour. Say, $5 an hour might do the trick. Some sort of geofencing thing which looks at leaving the first tee to leaving the 18th green should be easy enough.

Edited by sui generis

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

7 minutes ago, sui generis said:

I've long wondered if carts should be charged by the hour. Say, $5 an hour might do the trick. Some sort of geofencing thing which looks at leaving the first tee to leaving the 18th green should be easy enough.

That could be a good incentive to speed up play.

13 hours ago, sui generis said:

I can envisage people carrying firearms on the course as that would mean not only losing time for a bunch of slow idiots but also money...

16 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Yeah, 100%

I do this all the time, when I play as a single (which is most of the time)

If I see there are people on the tee ahead of me, I'll practice a few chips or putts before I move on ahead. Some holes I play two separate balls. I always stay within range where, if offered, I can play through. But I deliberately lag a bit so that I'm not having to stand idle waiting for shots too often.

Granted, playing as a single comes with its own bit of etiquette (in my mind anyway), but I'd probably behave somewhat similarly in a group, if the rest of the group was on board and it didn't impact people behind us.

• Like 1
  • Cobra SpeedZone 3-wood @ 13.5 degrees - Tensei AV Blue 65
  • Nike VR Pro II 3 iron - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 4-pw Titleist 718 MB - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 50, 54, 60 Vokey SM8 - Std wedge flex
  • Odyssey Stroke Labs Double Wide
  • Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS

20 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

So frustrating to watch the 3 practice swings, 8 waggles, 2 alignment checks, 30 seconds of whatever the heck just staring at a stationary ball is meant to accomplish result in a shank 50 yds into the woods.

Or kneeling on the green, 30 seconds of making the ball's logo align with wherever they think the putting line is, only to see them blow their third putt 7' past the hole.

I get the whole "fake it until you make it", but I'm more or less convinced that the average hacker wouldn't see a single shot's difference in their score over 10 rounds if they cut their routine in half, or even eliminated it entirely. Part of me almost think it's performative at this point. "I gotta do what the guys on TV do.."  Or it's a racket created and encouraged by "mental coaches" and people who wants to flog books or youtube videos.

Sure, there's a mental part to the game as a whole, but to me those are broad strokes and a general attitude, rather than dilly-dallying over each individual shot.

Ice hockey players can hit a moving puck, while moving on skates against someone moving and find a 1x1 foot gap from 20 yards away with incredible accuracy. Tennis players, returning 150mph serves more or less purely on instinct. I think we can learn from that. We can hit our stationary balls at a 20-40 yds target a bit quicker than most do.

Besides, it's just more time to get into your own head, and we all know, as golfers, we should stay well away from that place!

Edited by Rocky Ball-boa
  • Like 3
  • Cobra SpeedZone 3-wood @ 13.5 degrees - Tensei AV Blue 65
  • Nike VR Pro II 3 iron - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 4-pw Titleist 718 MB - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 50, 54, 60 Vokey SM8 - Std wedge flex
  • Odyssey Stroke Labs Double Wide
  • Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS

4 minutes ago, golfer07840 said:

And a good way to make people quit. Good God. 

Wouldn't you like to get $5 or $10 off your cart fee by moving faster?  Of course all the other golfers on the course would have to be of the same mind.

When I worked in the industry (mid thru late 1990s) I recall a course in MN that guaranteed a 4 hour or less round.  They reserved the right to move your group into position and/or ask you to leave.  Place got so popular was booked weeks in advance and average round time was like 3:40.

• Like 4

Paradym 9.5

Rogue ST Max HL 3wd (really a 4wd)

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Apex 21 Mixed Combo Set 5-A

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

2 hours ago, Rocky Ball-boa said:

So frustrating to watch the 3 practice swings, 8 waggles, 2 alignment checks, 30 seconds of whatever the heck just staring at a stationary ball is meant to accomplish result in a shank 50 yds into the woods.

Or kneeling on the green, 30 seconds of making the ball's logo align with wherever they think the putting line is, only to see them blow their third putt 7' past the hole.

I get the whole "fake it until you make it", but I'm more or less convinced that the average hacker wouldn't see a single shot's difference in their score over 10 rounds if they cut their routine in half, or even eliminated it entirely. Part of me almost think it's performative at this point. "I gotta do what the guys on TV do.."  Or it's a racket created and encouraged by "mental coaches" and people who wants to flog books or youtube videos.

Sure, there's a mental part to the game as a whole, but to me those are broad strokes and a general attitude, rather than dilly-dallying over each individual shot.

Ice hockey players can hit a moving puck, while moving on skates against someone moving and find a 1x1 foot gap from 20 yards away with incredible accuracy. Tennis players, returning 150mph serves more or less purely on instinct. I think we can learn from that. We can hit our stationary balls at a 20-40 yds target a bit quicker than most do.

Besides, it's just more time to get into your own head, and we all know, as golfers, we should stay well away from that place!

Some would have started a thread on it, lol, but I don't usually take random examples and turn them into rants.  But . . . we suffered a 5 hour round walking a nice but not "must play" links course in Ireland recently (must play for me, just not on a lot of the "lists").  Three of the foursome ahead could manage their games and looked pretty good, one was struggling from the first hole.  Eventually, you could tell since we were having a lot of quality time meeting at tee boxes as they were walking off and we were walking towards, the others in the group had this guy quit searching endlessly for the many balls he was firing into thick grass (he just seemed to be having one of those days, and that happens).  

The frustrating thing was the guy's preshot routine.  He would stand by the ball, make three time consuming and deliberate practice swings.  Then he would step back behind the ball and line himself up, then he would get back to the ball and make three time consuming and deliberate practice swings and then weak slice to wherever.  The bad day part is one thing but his preshot routine was so bad and wasted so much time I wanted to run out and either give him a hug or a kick in the butt and a tip on what an efficient one might look like.  Instead, we waited patiently, smiled and waved every time we passed and enjoyed the views.

23 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

This should be posted for all to see lol. I know playing in men's league I am always playing ready golf, but its so funny, sometimes I'll look around and 3 guys are looking at me, and its not "my turn to play" and I'm wondering like what the hell are you guys doing, waiting for me to play my shot before you even decide what club to pull?!? 

It seems almost like my ready golf, makes them think I am up to play, and etiquette dictates they all must stand still and motionless until I've played then they can proceed. Its like guys c'mon, we can all do these things at the same time this isn't the PGA tour. So I wonder sometimes if people think they are doing the right thing etiquette wise, by not essentially playing ready golf. And I always just say hey who ever is ready go ahead, I don't care if guy X's putt is the farthest away and he's still off the green getting his putter, you can set your ball down on your line and get ready, hit the friggin putt. But maybe they've encountered one of these "hey it wasn't your turn to play" dinks and they think they are doing the right thing. If were 60 yards apart on opposites sides of a fairway, you can make practice swings while I play my shot, trust me I wont mind. Hell lets all hit our shots into the green simultaneously lol. 

• Like 2

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler