"$50 Autoflex" Anyone try this?

mosesgolf

11 hours ago, erock9174 said:

I usually play a 50-55g R Flex shaft (last two fitted shafts have  been a Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 R and an HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 50 5.5).

Last year I tried the Riptide CB 40g 4.0 (L flex) and it was a mess for me.  While it never felt overly soft, I kept just hitting high push slices and my normal ball flight is a high staight to baby draw.  I immediately went back to the R flex 50g shaft.  

For reference I have a very deliberate back swing and smooth tempo.  I kinda wonder if part of the magic in the Otto is just to get guys to slow down their tempos.  

Most likely it is.  This is what a softer shaft in general will "promote" for a lot of players.  If it improves your timing, balance, and impact pattern on the face, then it can be a benefit.

It's an easy thing to test...and you can find out about the concept by also trying the other side of the extreme with a really X-stiff flex, which will promote the opposite and a faster tempo and transition from the top of the swing.

Most players react to what they are feeling in the club.  Especially experienced players with an established sense of feel

Bought a prolaunch in stiff.  Turned down the driver 1.5 degrees x. Instantly gained 5mph in ball speed (touched 174 twice.) Misses weren’t too crazy -  slightly more variability.  Probably going to play it.  

I’m pretty fast already but with the open muni courses I play I think 10 yds makes up for an increase in variability.  Imo going light should be a no brainer for most avg. golfers. 

• Like 1

I think my experiment with this is over. I’m just more reliable with a heavier shaft.

Edited by me05501

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

On 5/15/2023 at 1:15 PM, jfrank said:

Saw this on sale:

https://www.golfworks.com/ust-mamiya-mp5mp6mp7-graphite-wood-shafts/p/us0061/

50g, decent torque (4.0), A flex

Has anyone tried it?  UST stuff is usually decent.  Thinking about trying it with my stripped down 201g SLDR head for low spin and lower loft.

I ordered one yesterday.  Supposed to be here tomorrow.  While I've been pretty happy with the Pro Launch I just can't help myself from experimenting further.  

I've also been quite satisfied with the Ping Distanza.

Gonna hopefully make a final decision between these three although in reality I'll likely never "decide" on anything permanently.

Also ordered a 25 gram backweight to try in place of the 20 gram that came with the G430 Max.

As an aside I really do like the Distanza in my G430 Max fairways but will likely try some combination of the Pro Launch, MP or the Maltby at some point just in case.......

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

On 5/24/2023 at 10:15 AM, vernon said:

I ordered one yesterday.  Supposed to be here tomorrow.  While I've been pretty happy with the Pro Launch I just can't help myself from experimenting further.  

I've also been quite satisfied with the Ping Distanza.

Gonna hopefully make a final decision between these three although in reality I'll likely never "decide" on anything permanently.

Also ordered a 25 gram backweight to try in place of the 20 gram that came with the G430 Max.

As an aside I really do like the Distanza in my G430 Max fairways but will likely try some combination of the Pro Launch, MP or the Maltby at some point just in case.......

First round with the MP in Ladies flex was a smashing success.  Hit twelve fairways and fourteen green for an effortless 74.  I had three drives over 290 and one over 300 with virtually no wind.  The two 290's were on relatively flat fairways while the 303 was slightly downhill.

I found the MP to feel very similar to the Ventus Blue 6S that I played in my G410 Plus and liked a lot.

However, the two rounds since weren't so great.  I hit it superb in warmup on the range but developed a case of the pulls and hooks on the golf course.  Irons were a struggle as well though so it's certainly not the fault of the shaft.

Was just trying too hard to find that same swing that I had the day before and just got too deliberate I think.  And then playing from super thick rough all day put my irons into pretty much the same funk.

Rained out today but will hopefully try again tomorrow.

I'm miles from giving up on this shaft though because as I said I absolutely love the feel and it produced probably my best driving round of the year first time out.

Worst case I might try shortening the length a little or maybe even pick up an A flex.

I haven't tried the heavier weight yet either so there's plenty of options still on the table.

Including finding my swing again.......

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

I have been using the ProLaunch Blue 45g "A" flex (senior) for about 6 months now and don't even really think about it much anymore. Averaged 277 yds off the tee (total not just carry) during my last round which at 105 mph clubhead speed is pretty good for me. I am intrigued by the new VANQUISH offering so I will be checking that out in the R2 flex (their version of senior flex) soon and seeing how it compares to the PLB. 

Edit: MCA is backordered on the 4R2 so I going into a 4R. Still high torque (which I like for feel) and probably not a tangible difference between the two that I would be able to detect. 

Edited by vandyfan
  • Like 4

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red (S)

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue (S)
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* - Project X U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW 1*flat  - FST 125 (S) -- auditioning Fujikura Axiom 125X

Ben Hogan Equalizer II 54* 1*flat - KBS Tour 120S

Ben Hogan Carnoustie 60* 1*flat  - KBS Tour 120S

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a PL blue CB shaft in A flex.  I’ve been hitting a PX Cypher 5.5 very well, but always looking for something better. 
Sadly the PL Blue didn’t work, it’s stiffer by quite a bit than the Cypher. Both at 45.5”.  The PL cpm is 240 and the Cypher 221. I know direct CPM comparison is not exact, but it’s an indicator.  
Disappointed.  

1 hour ago, st1800e said:

Sadly the PL Blue didn’t work, it’s stiffer by quite a bit than the Cypher.

I have the GPLB in A flex and I find it feels stiffer than the VANQUISH I just got in Regular flex. Not sure what the CPM or EI profiles are but the GPLB definitely plays a bit firmer. 

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red (S)

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue (S)
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* - Project X U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW 1*flat  - FST 125 (S) -- auditioning Fujikura Axiom 125X

Ben Hogan Equalizer II 54* 1*flat - KBS Tour 120S

Ben Hogan Carnoustie 60* 1*flat  - KBS Tour 120S

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

10 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

I have the GPLB in A flex and I find it feels stiffer than the VANQUISH I just got in Regular flex. Not sure what the CPM or EI profiles are but the GPLB definitely plays a bit firmer. 

I did mine with a non-velocore Ventus Blue A flex and it is just as stiff as an S flex.  I read somewhere 1+ years ago that in comparison, the A/Senior flex ventus blue is closer in comparison to the Stiff flex than the regular to stiff.

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

Has anyone experimented with the Fujikura Air Speeder 45? Any thoughts or reviews? Thanks!

Edit: WOW this shaft has 8* for torque. That seems really high.

Edited by pdxhak

Taylor Made BRNR 11.5*

Taylor Made Stealth 2 + 5 wood

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Edel SMS 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

On 5/31/2023 at 11:35 AM, vernon said:

First round with the MP in Ladies flex was a smashing success.  Hit twelve fairways and fourteen green for an effortless 74.  I had three drives over 290 and one over 300 with virtually no wind.  The two 290's were on relatively flat fairways while the 303 was slightly downhill.

I found the MP to feel very similar to the Ventus Blue 6S that I played in my G410 Plus and liked a lot.

However, the two rounds since weren't so great.  I hit it superb in warmup on the range but developed a case of the pulls and hooks on the golf course.  Irons were a struggle as well though so it's certainly not the fault of the shaft.

Was just trying too hard to find that same swing that I had the day before and just got too deliberate I think.  And then playing from super thick rough all day put my irons into pretty much the same funk.

Rained out today but will hopefully try again tomorrow.

I'm miles from giving up on this shaft though because as I said I absolutely love the feel and it produced probably my best driving round of the year first time out.

Worst case I might try shortening the length a little or maybe even pick up an A flex.

I haven't tried the heavier weight yet either so there's plenty of options still on the table.

Including finding my swing again.......

Been all over the place the last week or so trying this, that and whatever.  Switched back to the Pro Launch for a couple of rounds and hit it really good of course I can't let that ruin the fun of following "the science."

Swapped out the 20 gram backweight for a 25 and thought I'd found the motherlode.

Well on the range anyways.......

Didn't translate well to the course however so I was back and forth between the 20 and the 25 and even stuck the Distanza back in there for a bit and then back to the Pro Launch.

After cold topping a couple with PLB I plugged the MP back in with the heavier weight and proceeded to hit three of my best back to back to back yesterday on the last three holes with the heavier weight.

It feels really head heavy - like almost too much for the flex of the shaft but it loads perfect and seemed to almost swing itself.

However I've been around long enough to know how these things typically workout but am anxious to see.

Taking a little roadtrip to play tomorrow but the MP Ladies with the heavier weight will definitely be with me on the first tee!

• 1 month later...

I just did it. I normally play a stiff staff in my irons, Recoil 780 ES SW F4 IP at 87g. This is considered a "stiff" shaft. I swapped in a Recoil 760 F2 at 68g, which is considered a senior shaft. My normal carry distance for the 8-iron I did this on is 148yds. With this shaft, I was getting 153. (My 7-iron in the same session was getting 159). So....I've ordered 8 more for the rest of the set (4I - SW). These clubs are single length, so I'll have them all cut to 36.5". 

Because I can't do this myself, it's a bit of an expensive move; it's about $75 per club, including shaft, installation, and grip.

Surprisingly, the swing weight didn't change much. I though it would go down, so I switched to a lighter grip. It went up two points instead. But it's an old swing weight that feels so good to return to.

I had done it previously with the driver, adding 15 yds of carry, so I was hopeful to see some additional distance with the irons. In both cases, I didn't see a discernable change to dispersion.

Edited by Rich Douglas
Typo
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I found the youtube video.  I am trying the Project X Riptide Blue CB 5.0 in 50g.  I found it on Amazon for $50.  I put a tip on it.  I added a counterweight to the handle to make the shaft fill a bit more beefy, but it definately whips.

I can kit good shots with it -- but the miss is definitely the high-push slice.  So high and right as to be totally unplayable right now.  But I have only tried it once -- will give it a few more tries.

Sidenote:  I bought some 20g - 24g gram counter weights to try in the handles of my shafts based on another video Adam C/Mobile Clubfitter posted.

Titleist TSR2 9* w/ Fujikura Speeder Evo II 661 X (with 20g weight in butt)

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5* w/ Graphite Design AD-DI 7S

Titleist TSR3 18* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist u505 3i 20* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 9S

Srixon ZX4 MkII w/ Project X LZ 6.0 5-PW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50@49* - Taylormade MG4 56* and 60*

LAB Golf Mezz Max Broom 79.5* lie, 45" or one of my Armlocks

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV or Maxfli Tour X

14 hours ago, Qwiklap said:

Hey guys,

I found the youtube video.  I am trying the Project X Riptide Blue CB 5.0 in 50g.  I found it on Amazon for $50.  I put a tip on it.  I added a counterweight to the handle to make the shaft fill a bit more beefy, but it definately whips.

I can kit good shots with it -- but the miss is definitely the high-push slice.  So high and right as to be totally unplayable right now.  But I have only tried it once -- will give it a few more tries.

Sidenote:  I bought some 20g - 24g gram counter weights to try in the handles of my shafts based on another video Adam C/Mobile Clubfitter posted.

I have a Ping Distanza, two Pro Launch Blue's (both 45 gram - one senior and one ladies flex) and an MP5 in ladies flex that I've been experimenting with for the last three months and have found that if I feel as though I'm releasing the club from the top a little bit earlier the high right push pretty much disappears.

At first it felt like I was casting but now it feels pretty natural and it takes so little effort to hit the ball a good distance that it's crazy but I find that it's important to not be overly aggressive in transition and you definitely don't want to feel like you're pulling down hard from the top.

I kinda like to feel as though I'm swinging at about 75% effort and really letting the club go.

I started out with a 25 gram headweight in a Ping G430 Max and finally settled on a 22 gram headweight.

There's definitely some experimentation required but for me it's been totally worth it.

Good luck!

• Like 3

On 8/18/2023 at 5:22 PM, Qwiklap said:

Hey guys,

I don’t believe adding counterweight to the handle does anything to make the shaft play “more beefy”.

The Pro Launch Blue 45 A was a success for me.  It added 3 MPH to my driver swing speed (which was 100).  I recently tried the Distanza.  I like it better.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10K Driver, TaylorMade Aeroburner 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 
Callaway 2015 XR 4, 5 hybrids

Titleist 716 AP1 6-GW irons

Cleveland CBX4 52, Smart Sole 4.0 58 wedges
Axis1 Rose putter

On 8/19/2023 at 8:00 PM, skraly said:

I don’t believe adding counterweight to the handle does anything to make the shaft play “more beefy”.

Perhaps not "play beefy" but feel beefy.  So that it feels like I am swinging a hammer and not a chopstick. 

I took the shaft out and played on Saturday, really focusing on turning with the body (having left side clear) - and the shaft worked great.  Straight shots, gentle fades - a few blocks that I attribute to swing.  The end result was impressive.  Shot an 83 at a hard course, which is really good for me. 

Edited by Qwiklap

On 8/20/2023 at 6:55 AM, dekez said:

The Pro Launch Blue 45 A was a success for me.  It added 3 MPH to my driver swing speed (which was 100).  I recently tried the Distanza.  I like it better.

Wow - Distanza's seem expensive!  The Pro Launch is readily available though.

• 1 month later...

I have done this test with my driver. I just swapped shafts with my 12 year old son, and the results were pretty good so I ordered a cheap shaft from Value Golf to continue the experiment with. For those of you have made the switch to a lighter weight and softer flex shaft in your driver, have you done the same with your fairway woods? I go from driver strait to 7 wood and was wondering about it. 

19 hours ago, WipeyFade said:

I have done this test with my driver. I just swapped shafts with my 12 year old son, and the results were pretty good so I ordered a cheap shaft from Value Golf to continue the experiment with. For those of you have made the switch to a lighter weight and softer flex shaft in your driver, have you done the same with your fairway woods? I go from driver strait to 7 wood and was wondering about it. 

I bought a Pro Launch Blue 45 in Ladies flex (same shaft I'm playing in my G430 driver) to try in my G430 five wood and liked it a lot.

This past week I plugged it into my seven wood for two rounds and liked it enough to order another one.

For what it's worth when I ordered the clubs new all came with the Distanza which is a really good shaft but I find the Pro Launch to be longer and easier to hit and I also prefer the feel.

The Pro Launch is just a great feeling shaft in my opinion.

I also have the Golf Works/Pro Launch 55 in Ladies that I've used in the driver with good results - I just like the Pro Launch Blue better.

Sometime this week I'm going to cut that one down and try it as a fairway shaft as well as I know of quite a few other guys that have had great success with that shaft and prefer the slightly heavier weight in fairway woods.

On 10/6/2023 at 1:35 PM, WipeyFade said:

I did, see my signature below.

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTER -   LAB MEZZ MAX Blue head w/white Accra

LAB MEZZ MAX Red head w/black Accra
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL ON ALL

Been playing with my driver config a bit lately. Had a ton of fun building a 4.5" super heavy head sledgehammer, now I'm going to try a longer Otto Phlex setup. Ordered the ProLaunch Blue 45 A flex tonight. I have a 95-99mph driver SS for reference. 

Edited by ApostateDrive

TE C722 - Maltby TS3 - Maltby TSW - Wilson Windy City

Picked up the ProLaunch Blue shaft in senior flex and first impressions are that it's stiffer than expected. I wonder if I should have gone L flex. Regardless, I'm gluing up the adapter for my Tour Edge C722 driver this evening, so hopefully I can get initial numbers Sunday. 

Are you guys generally setting the loft the same as your regular shafts, or do you generally end up lower lofted?

Edited by ApostateDrive

16 hours ago, ApostateDrive said:

Picked up the ProLaunch Blue shaft in senior flex and first impressions are that it's stiffer than expected. I wonder if I should have gone L flex. Regardless, I'm gluing up the adapter for my Tour Edge C722 driver this evening, so hopefully I can get initial numbers Sunday. 

Are you guys generally setting the loft the same as your regular shafts, or do you generally end up lower lofted?

I thought the same thing about the senior flex and ordered a couple of ladies flex and while they're noticeably softer they hold up pretty well.  

I did drop the backweight three or four grams though and like it best that way.

Initially I lofted my nine degree Ping G435 down to the big minus and liked it a lot then one day I was messing around on the range and bumped it to the big plus in flat and have had it that way ever since.  

Not surprisingly I definitely hit it higher but the carry distance increased and I found it easier to keep in the fairway.

I really think that this deal is just so subjective that you have to be willing to try anything and everything to find what works best.

Luckily I'm and old retired guy that's got a lot of time on his hands to experiment.

Thank you for that info! 

I glued up the PLB A flex shaft, trimmed it to 45", since I usually play my drivers at 44", and it came in at D1.5 with the stock C722 head. The waggle test definitely shows a lot of waggle, but less than I expected. Though, maybe my expectations were skewed because I've spent a lot of time working with my Lag Shot, and that's obscenely whippy. 

Hoping to hit it tomorrow!

Edited by ApostateDrive