Soft butt and tip, stiff mid shafts.

Tbone107

Hey everyone,

Wanted to see if there were any higher end shafts that I missed with this profile?

After a bunch of testing of other shafts the past 6 months I've settled into a Speeder TR 661 TX that is an Aldila Silver/Green with a softer handle like a whiteboard, but a stiffish tip and want to potentially see what a slightly softer tip w/ higher torque would feel like. 

Any help is appreciated!

Current Setup:

LH

Krank Formula Fire LD 4 degree Paderson Kinetixx Velocity D30+

Cobra F9 tour 13.5 turned to 12.5 Aldila RIPX 85TX

3-P Ping i210 LA golf L-Series 6 Flex

50 Ping glide forged 4.0 Lagp L-Series 6 flex

56&60 Ping glide forged pro La golf L series 6 flex

PXG Battle Ready II Blackjack double bend

9 hours ago, Tbone107 said:

Hey everyone,

Wanted to see if there were any higher end shafts that I missed with this profile?

After a bunch of testing of other shafts the past 6 months I've settled into a Speeder TR 661 TX that is an Aldila Silver/Green with a softer handle like a whiteboard, but a stiffish tip and want to potentially see what a slightly softer tip w/ higher torque would feel like. 

Any help is appreciated!

That would be an Aldila Blue (Tour Blue, rogue black, 2knv blue)  or Diamana Blueboard profile.

16 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

That would be an Aldila Blue (Tour Blue, rogue black, 2knv blue)  or Diamana Blueboard profile.

Aren't those the opposite of soft/stiff/soft? Those would be stiff/soft/stiff?

LTDx LS 11.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 15* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F, 54S, 60M

White Hot OG 7CH

8 minutes ago, rsballer10 said:

Aren't those the opposite of soft/stiff/soft? Those would be stiff/soft/stiff?

soft/stiff are subjective evaluations.   One persons soft can be another persons stiff.    The recommendations were based on the relative differences to the specific shafts the OP was referencing and the differences he was asking for.  e.g.  a whiteboard like profile with a softer tip is a blueboard.    Personally I don't see either the aldila green or whiteboard as a soft butt or stiff mid. But that's me.

But most ams can't really tell the difference between butt and mid stiffness - despite beliefs to the contrary.  They really feel a combination of both.  So any such requests need to be taken with the proverbial "grain of salt."

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 1

It is going to be pretty hard to find this profile, honestly.  Not many shafts exist like this.  The only two that really come to mind are the Tensei Pro Orange and Accra FX 3.0 360.  See below with your shaft of choice as a reference, which is more directly linear than a stiff mid.

image.png.dc70ce1ae305e9c8a0c7afea9a3b1e75.png

• Like 1

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

38 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

soft/stiff are subjective evaluations.   One persons soft can be another persons stiff.    The recommendations were based on the relative differences to the specific shafts the OP was referencing and the differences he was asking for.  e.g.  a whiteboard like profile with a softer tip is a blueboard.    Personally I don't see either the aldila green or whiteboard as a soft butt or stiff mid. But that's me.

But most ams can't really tell the difference between butt and mid stiffness - despite beliefs to the contrary.  They really feel a combination of both.  So any such requests need to be taken with the proverbial "grain of salt."

Not to be a smartass but of course soft/stiff are subjective evaluations, as they contain no quantitative measures. My point was what OP is describing is a "convex" EI profile...not saying it's impossible because I'm sure someone could actually build it. It's not likely just because the butt diameter is always going to be the biggest, so at best you might see a flatter EI slope.

I agree with the mid/butt stiffness argument. I can't spot where the shaft is bending. I just know if the tip is soft, for my swing I get high hooks.

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F, 54S, 60M

White Hot OG 7CH

47 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

I get what your saying, but like you said it must all be relative..

My CHS is mid to upper 130's and I played D1 and some mini tour and KFT stuff for a while so I know my feels when it comes to shafts, but I've always played rebarish stout shafts so that certainly skews my opinion on what soft is. 

Just looking for a good shaft for more feel/softness in it everywhere but the mid. If I feel the mid moving that's when dispersion and spin start to get worse for me. 

Current Setup:

LH

35 minutes ago, WristySwing said:

It is going to be pretty hard to find this profile, honestly.  Not many shafts exist like this.  The only two that really come to mind are the Tensei Pro Orange and Accra FX 3.0 360.  See below with your shaft of choice as a reference, which is more directly linear than a stiff mid.

Appreciate it. Maybe I should say I'm looking for one with a softer tip very stiff mid without the handle mattering too much. 

If that makes a difference. 

Edited by Tbone107

Current Setup:

LH

48 minutes ago, WristySwing said:

Do you have access to the Fuji Speeder NX with this software?

I have a sub to Russ Rydens but he doesn't have that. I think I might look into the new Ventus TR red if it comes out in a TX or the Speeder NX. 

Current Setup:

LH

@Tbone107even still, you can clearly see that the 661 doesn't fit the profile you want either, relative to the 2 I showed you.  In order to have a stiff middle, it needs to have a stiff butt section, otherwise the shaft would look like a lower case n, and probably nobody would be able to load it properly.  You basically have to say goodbye to any shaft in the Fujikura and Graphite Design family as none of them fit that profile.  They mostly have the same super stiff handle, soft middle, and medium tip.  The Ventus Red TR would actually be the worst of the bunch for that as it will be an extremely stiff handle, mega soft middle and soft tip.  The Speeder NX is also no different.  You need to look at the two I showed you, and maybe HZRDUS stuff.  Good luck.  

The software I use is called S3.  You can purchase a monthly subscription to it here:  www.s3fitting.com

image.png.9b43e0698bf663833fbecdc881db173c.png

Edited by WristySwing

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

Speeder TR is a a really good shaft.  I had the 757x 3 years ago.  Regret selling it.  Trust me, you're not missing out on anything. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

17 minutes ago, Tbone107 said:

I get what your saying, but like you said it must all be relative..

My CHS is mid to upper 130's and I played D1 and some mini tour and KFT stuff for a while so I know my feels when it comes to shafts, but I've always played rebarish stout shafts so that certainly skews my opinion on what soft is. 

Just looking for a good shaft for more feel/softness in it everywhere but the mid. If I feel the mid moving that's when dispersion and spin start to get worse for me. 

Have you tried the TPO 1K?  It's not exactly the profile you described but classic white board which you probably know is stiff, stiff, soft/firm.  As I posted, I had the Speeder TR, loved it and now am playing the TPO 1K.  The mid section does not move for this shaft and it's counterbalanced which is something we discussed via PM.  

Edited by phizzy30

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

1 hour ago, rsballer10 said:

Not to be a smartass but of course soft/stiff are subjective evaluations, as they contain no quantitative measures.

No worries.

My point was what OP is describing is a "convex" EI profile...not saying it's impossible

Sorry, but the shape of the profile is not what gives it the feel.  It's the actual EI values at the different parts of the shaft.

because I'm sure someone could actually build it. It's not likely just because the butt diameter is always going to be the biggest, so at best you might see a flatter EI slope.

Flatter for the top part of the shaft yes - but only if that 'flatter' part is in the right spot vertically on the graph.

2 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

Sorry, but the shape of the profile is not what gives it the feel.  It's the actual EI values at the different parts of the shaft.

The EI values are what create the shape of the profile...plot the points and draw the curve...

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F, 54S, 60M

White Hot OG 7CH

6 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Have you tried the TPO 1K?  It's not exactly the profile you described but classic white board which you probably know is stiff, stiff, soft/firm.  As I posted, I had the Speeder TR, loved it and now am playing the TPO 1K.  The mid section does not move for this shaft and it's counterbalanced which is something we discussed via PM.  

Hey Phizzy, I did try it. Got great numbers from it but the feel didn't match up as well for me with the TR. I feel like the TR feels a little "softer" and i always skew to liking that feeling more than stout. 

Current Setup:

LH

1 hour ago, WristySwing said:

@Tbone107even still, you can clearly see that the 661 doesn't fit the profile you want either, relative to the 2 I showed you.  In order to have a stiff middle, it needs to have a stiff butt section, otherwise the shaft would look like a lower case n, and probably nobody would be able to load it properly.  You basically have to say goodbye to any shaft in the Fujikura and Graphite Design family as none of them fit that profile.  They mostly have the same super stiff handle, soft middle, and medium tip.  The Ventus Red TR would actually be the worst of the bunch for that as it will be an extremely stiff handle, mega soft middle and soft tip.  The Speeder NX is also no different.  You need to look at the two I showed you, and maybe HZRDUS stuff.  Good luck.  

The software I use is called S3.  You can purchase a monthly subscription to it here:  www.s3fitting.com

image.png.9b43e0698bf663833fbecdc881db173c.png

Ya I did a poor job with my original ask. 

I am looking for something different then what I'm playing although I like it a lot. I want to try something that has good feel and that I can feel the kick speed coming through the ball, and I'm not sure what creates that feel the best and assumed it is when it is softer under the handle and by the tip. 

Current Setup:

LH

17 minutes ago, Tbone107 said:

Hey Phizzy, I did try it. Got great numbers from it but the feel didn't match up as well for me with the TR. I feel like the TR feels a little "softer" and i always skew to liking that feeling more than stout. 

Edit: sorry Phiz thought you were talking about 1k white. I have not tried 1k Orange yet. Trying to decide on that or something a little different ie the Speeder NX or Ventus red TR in TX if that comes out like I mentioned above.  

Current Setup:

LH

This is an oddball profile because it doesnt make much sense nor fit many people so your options will be very limited.

Now, there are plenty of shafts as @Stuart_G mentioned where you can SUBJECTIVELY say the handle and tip FEEL softer than other shafts in said shafts series - such as a stiff-soft-stiff profile where the handle is actually soft compared to others which feel stiff and a softer tip helping with launch. At this point we're just talking semantics of feel but that may be what you're actually after rather than a black and white EI profile showing something that is in its base profile plot an actual soft-stiff-soft convex shaft in the chart.

I would not recommend ACTUALLY chasing on paper the profile you describe and rather go by what you personally feel is soft-er in those sections.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

34 minutes ago, Tbone107 said:

Ya I did a poor job with my original ask. 

I am looking for something different then what I'm playing although I like it a lot. I want to try something that has good feel and that I can feel the kick speed coming through the ball, and I'm not sure what creates that feel the best and assumed it is when it is softer under the handle and by the tip. 

It's a very rough generalization - so doesn't apply to everyone - but while the whole shaft can contribute to the feel of the shaft loading in transition - it's much more common for tip section stiffness to be the biggest or bigger contribution to the feel of the shaft unloading.  So the idea of going a little bit softer in the type might be the right approach.   But just remember that when you change the tip stiffness, you can also change the loading feel.  So if you want the loading to feel similar but get a bit more unloading feel, you might need to tighten up the butt/mid a bit to compensate for the softer tip.

So in that respect, I would forget the butt/mid for a bit and just go out and try/demo a bunch of mid launch shafts that have that softer tip and see what you can find.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

It's a very rough generalization - so doesn't apply to everyone - but while the whole shaft can contribute to the feel of the shaft loading in transition - it's much more common for tip section stiffness to be the biggest or bigger contribution to the feel of the shaft unloading.  So the idea of going a little bit softer in the type might be the right approach.   But just remember that when you change the tip stiffness, you can also change the loading feel.  So if you want the loading to feel similar but get a bit more unloading feel, you might need to tighten up the butt/mid a bit to compensate for the softer tip.

So in that respect, I would forget the butt/mid for a bit and just go out and try/demo a bunch of mid launch shafts that have that softer tip and see what you can find.

Awesome. Exact info I was looking for Stuart! Thanks, I think the Speeder NX might be on my list of next to try. 

Current Setup:

LH

LAGolf Trono is definitely one to check out. Stiffest midsection of any shaft on the market afaik.

Another benefit is that they can be found for a good deal atm

It's what I play in my driver and may be my favorite shaft ever

Edited by rooski

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

Well color me confused. Looks like the Mid High Launch Speeder NX in 60TX has a stiffer tip than Ventus Black in 7TX according to their rating scale. 

NX tip stiffness-81 

VENTUS black 7TX tip- 85 (lower means stiffer)

https://fujikuragolf.com/woods/ventus

https://fujikuragolf.com/woods/speeder-nx

Screenshot_20220811-113452.png

Current Setup:

LH

26 minutes ago, Tbone107 said:

Well color me confused. Looks like the Mid High Launch Speeder NX in 60TX has a stiffer tip than Ventus Black in 7TX according to their rating scale. 

NX tip stiffness-81 

VENTUS black 7TX tip- 85 (lower means stiffer)

https://fujikuragolf.com/woods/ventus

https://fujikuragolf.com/woods/speeder-nx

Screenshot_20220811-113452.png

The Ventus Black is not meant to be extremely low spinning nor meant to have the stiffest tip available.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

37 minutes ago, Tbone107 said:

Edit: sorry Phiz thought you were talking about 1k white. I have not tried 1k Orange yet. Trying to decide on that or something a little different ie the Speeder NX or Ventus red TR in TX if that comes out like I mentioned above.  

I didn't like the way the 1K felt, but for some reason love the way the TPO 1K feels.  I think it's the MR70 that gives it so much feel.  Johnny Vegas has the Speeder NX in his bag.  I've tested it but it felt too soft overall.  Ventus Red TR does sound entriguing and the plan is to test it for 3 metal for me. 

4 hours ago, Tbone107 said:

am looking for something different then what I'm playing although I like it a lot. I want to try something that has good feel and that I can feel the kick speed coming through the ball, and I'm not sure what creates that feel the best and assumed it is when it is softer under the handle and by the tip. 

I am no shaft expert but recently bought an old Rogue Sub Zero mainly for the head to combo with a Graphite Design AD HD shaft that I already had. It came with a Project X LZ17 65 66g shaft so I decided to give it a go. 

It is exactly as you described, I can feel a huge kick that seems to give me more distance. I don't lose any accuracy and the feel is addictive, I've never felt anything like it but I really like it. 

It's odd because there's hardly any information about these shafts anywhere but I think you can pick them up for pretty cheap. Would definitely recommend based on what you've written above.