2022 Dana Open (Sep 01 - 04)

Argonne69

5 hours ago, ChronicSlicer said:

Don't let the fanboys(me included) fool you, Su is not superstar material by any means. Me thinks theres a lot of girls out there who need a reality check, maybe a season on the Epson tour in hope's of contending or winning some events. A little spike in confidence.

To be fair, Su's been making an average of 400k on tour. She isn't one of the girls that needs a reality check or Epson. She won earlier this season in Australia so seems like the consensus thought was an LPGA victory was coming this season. Looking deeper into her results, she doesn't even have a top-20 this season. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AWinfortheAges said:

To be fair, Su's been making an average of 400k on tour. She isn't one of the girls that needs a reality check or Epson. She won earlier this season in Australia so seems like the consensus thought was an LPGA victory was coming this season. Looking deeper into her results, she doesn't even have a top-20 this season. 

Su, Amy Olson and Yealimi Noh; all have been above average LPGA players but all have lousy seasons.  Su's issue has been her ball striking, while Amy and Yealimi putting.  

It seems to happen to all players during the course of their careers; but it will eventually revert to the long term mean.

I’m quite impressed by Lucy Li’s play this week.  She has had the spotlight on her for years, but this week would seem to be a big step up as far as pressure, and she has performed.   It would be the big story if she wins, but I’d really like to get Lexi to the finish line so she (and the rest of us) don’t have to hear about how long it’s been!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kaysquare said:

This tournament has an all-female announcing crew, & as expected way too much chatting!  I did enjoy Angela Stanford's comments though.  She is easy to listen to & might be another voice for future LPGA tournaments. 

Are there more people on the crew than usual, or is it just that they’re talking more?  It does seem like they’re tripping over each other more than regular crew.  I think Cara Banks is talking way more than Grant Boone.  And I agree Angela Stanford would probably be a good addition.

48 minutes ago, AWinfortheAges said:

She may average 400k, but since 2020 it's 200k. That's pretty rough. Her win in Australia was against an incredibly weak field of 24 players 18 of them shooting over par. As you point out her 0 top twenty finishes, that brings her total since 2020 to 8. It's clear to me since the mighty Covid epidemic, Su has kinda lost her way a bit. In my opinion, she could use a dose of the Epson tour, a way to restart, get in the mix again and regain some confidence. Just my opinion, and I respect yours as well.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Su, Amy Olson and Yealimi Noh; all have been above average LPGA players but all have lousy seasons.  Su's issue has been her ball striking, while Amy and Yealimi putting.  

It seems to happen to all players during the course of their careers; but it will eventually revert to the long term mean.

Although I don't find Amy Olson an above average tour player by any means, I agree everyone has a lousy season. It's scary when you start to have multiple less than average seasons in a row. 

It was interesting to see how Lucy's swing has changed lately. She used to really drop her head, similar to Paula Creamer's swing. She seems to keep her head more steady now, although I did not a bit of head dip on her final two drives as she tried to get them out there. 

Also, she walks very fast. Don't know if she always does that, or if it's a sign of nerves this week. Most seasoned players move fairly slowly. Even Nelly, who plays about as fast as they come, walks at a moderate pace. 

• Like 3

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

26 minutes ago, postfold said:

I followed Xi Yu at the Meijer a number of years ago, she was definitely not chatty back then.  Mostly she looked uncomfortable, almost anxious.  Glad to hear that she's more settled, always like to see her do well.

Catching up on round 3 off the DVR, definite highlight Lydia's interview saying she said eff it on 12 after a careless bogey on 11.  Funny.

Feels like this thread would have about four times as many posts this week if KBong were still around given Lucy Li's performance.  We're kinda being cheated here.  😛

It seems so long ago when Janet almost won the LPGA Thailand.

She has had a fair few of top 25 finishes since.

xiyu-janet-lin-of-china-reads-a-putt-on-

• Like 2

22 hours ago, agolf1 said:

I wonder if Lydia's game is good enough to win 3x a year again?  Not saying she can sustain it for several years in a row like before but she is leading the tour in Top 10s and is 2nd in a lot of stats.

Perhaps she just needs to hit 5-10 better drives per week and that will be the difference (from afar, hard to say where all of her lost shots are coming from)?  So get hot or control the misses for a few weeks and that is enough?  Possibly to the surprise of some, her driving distance is now at (only) 254 yards / below median.

I don't think she needs 5-10 yards. She is plenty long when she wants to be. She needs to eliminate the snap hooked drive, which inevitably leads to compensatory pushes short and right.

• Like 2

I find myself hoping for a Lexi win. She has earned it.

But one could argue that a player only earns wins by actually winning!

I am not convinced her attitude is right going into this final round. I wish she'd say something actually funny in a post-round interview, and show genuine understanding that she doesn't have to try so hard. She looked very strong in R3 until that pull-hook 2nd at 18.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Raving Shanker said:

I don't think she needs 5-10 yards. She is plenty long when she wants to be. She needs to eliminate the snap hooked drive, which inevitably leads to compensatory pushes short and right.

Yeah, I'm not saying she needs to hit if farther (getting it in play more often would help more).  What I mean is some people seem to think she's gained like 50 yards off the tee.  The stats say otherwise.  Even if you adjust for the missed fairways and lack of roll, it is probably only a few yards on average (unless she misses the fairway on measured holes considerably more often).

She's playing great and far from where she bottomed out a few years ago.  But I will also say often times it looks like she's really trying to hit her driver as hard as she can.  Many other players that are hitting it farther are in much better balance with this club (her iron swing is usually very controlled).

• Like 1

To be clear, my question is not a criticism of L.KO.  It is more a question of she is playing great (Top 10s, various stats) but has still only produced 1 win in each of the last two years (at least so far this year).  That's kind of random tour winning among the better players?  But she seems to be playing a bit better than "better."

So is it the game is there and the luck just hasn't happened yet (winning is a combination of you playing well, a shot here or there, and no one else going crazy that week)?  Or she just needs the driver to cooperate a bit more a few weeks a year and the trophies will follow?

Said another way, give her Minjee's tee ball.  Do you think she wins more than 1x per year?  Or give Lexi Lydia's wedge and putter.  Does she win more than she has been (which is zero recently)?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stooch said:

Sometimes I don't enjoy being right.

You're certainly right this morning about Caroline's final round when she's in contention.

But, there's always exceptions to the rule; I vividly remember she shot a great final round to win her only victory at 2016 Maunulife LPGA Classic.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, 18majors said:

You're certainly right this morning about Caroline's final round when she's in contention.

But, there's always exceptions to the rule; I vividly remember she shot a great final round to win her only victory at 2016 Maunulife LPGA Classic.

Memory serves she came back from down in the field, she's fine as long as she doesn't think she has chance.

Megan Khang making a move. I would like to see her get a win, she deserves one, I guess if somebody deserves one that is.

• Like 3

This event is supposed to be aired on Peacock right now, but instead, they are just playing the talking heads from the golf channel.  It really is amazing how bad the Golf Channel is at actually showing golf.  And how the streaming service can't actually stream the event.

• Like 1

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

4 minutes ago, subrew said:

This event is supposed to be aired on Peacock right now, but instead, they are just playing the talking heads from the golf channel.  It really is amazing how bad the Golf Channel is at actually showing golf.  And how the streaming service can't actually stream the event.

Did you check the NBC Sports app? 

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

The final group is letting the players ahead back into it. At the near halfway point they're collectively at even par. Birdie opportunities on the back, but they really need to step it up. 

Edited by Argonne69

12 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Did you check the NBC Sports app? 

I did not.  I opened up peacock, clicked the "Dana Open LIVE" and it was just the Golf Channel feed from the talk show.  Oh well, at least it is being aired on the golf channel now.

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter