MEMBER REVIEWS: Fujikura VENTUS TR Red and TR Black! See What Members Are Saying!

2095965748_FUJIVENTUSTRBLACKREDTESTINGREVIEWS.png.cfe5e3337e156ff5ea3cc83d9cfbe723.png

We have four of our members testing out the brand new VENTUS TR Red and TR Black. The extended VENTUS TR line now features three launch profiles (mid-high, mid, and low) that are  designed specifically to stiffen torque in the section of the shaft where golfers need it most, leading to increased stability and consistency.  Each VENTUS TR profile provides similar feel to its original VENTUS counterpart, but with enhanced stiffness and reduced launch and spin. The members below will be reporting back to the community about the things that they have noticed while testing this product. Please feel free to ask any questions that you might have, as the testers will be happy to answer them!

The members are:

@jasonTeI3

@QuigleyDU

@MichiganMan

@hwwong

Learn more about Fujikura VENTUS TR shafts here.

Find your nearest authorized Fujikura dealer here.

Special thank you to @Fujikura Golffor putting on this member testing event!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to @Fujikura Golf and @GolfWRX_Official for the opportunity!  Can't wait to try the new TR.  Will continue to edit this post for my full review.

Trackman Session

TL;DR - Ventus Black TR yielded slightly better efficiency and slightly more carry over OG Black. Was worried about TR being too stiff, but that was not the case.

Both shafts untipped, TR playing 1/4" longer than OG Black.  I used gamer head - Callaway Epic Speed TD 9* set at neutral.  Ball was 2021 Pro V1.  I tried to make 'on course' swings as best I could, with three distinct kind of swings.  As you can tell CHS ranges quite a bit.  I would say these are very representative of what I put into play on course.  For additional reference 'stock' 6 iron is about 92mph and stock 3 wood is 105mph clubhead speed. 

SET 1 - 'committed but controlled aggression' - this has been more or less 'stock'

SET 2 - 'rip it freely'

SET 3 - 'scared, troubled, bunty swing'

Interestingly for SET 1 and 2 there were very minor differences.  Smash went up .01, launch went slightly up but spin was pretty consistent.   Dispersion was similar, maybe TR favoring the right side a little more.  

SET 3 was most surprising I think.  At slower swing speed, TR favored left side with lower launch and spin.  

As for feel (very hard to describe) - at first glance I don't think there's much of a discernible difference in feel between TR and OGB.  If I had to say, the TR feels a little heavier in hand.  But honestly I don't feel much of anything during the swing.  The clubhead just kind of magically appears into the back of the ball.  No real shaft load, no real kick/release feel.  The feel to me is extremely subtle and not pronounced; this may be a result of hitting in the sim.   When I tried Blue TR I felt very much loading, kicking, moving, etc. all over the place  Which lead to very inconsistent shots for me.  And when I tried Red it was a distinct whip at the bottom 1/4 of the shaft.  

1596271681_ScreenShot2022-09-21at5_44_06PM.png.f98ad1aa51783515a57986b838480438.png

437953438_ScreenShot2022-09-21at5_44_14PM.png.aad128f2ad7646e62c81dee7bb94220e.png

621616541_ScreenShot2022-09-21at5_51_49PM.png.705ed7f89734188e0a6960eb2a8e99a2.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 5.44.34 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-09-21 at 5.44.27 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-09-21 at 5.44.44 PM.png

1892307088_ScreenShot2022-09-21at5_43_31PM.png.f24f45277666c8cf21df0e0c44ce2876.png

2115849430_ScreenShot2022-09-21at5_43_23PM.png.5bb2b95daef50c71fdd2fd9fcc80fca0.png

869726308_ScreenShot2022-09-21at5_43_47PM.png.9cf280d4c841cb14549f630985344830.png

On Course Performance

First Round:

Ball flight lower compared to OG Black, more mid flight vs mid-high (for me).  Didn't feel like I lost any distance, but played a very tight/placement course so I couldn't really let it rip.  On course it definitely feels stiffer than the OG Black but that, for me, seems to lead to very straight shots.  Strike pattern was very good - same as OG Black, maybe slightly better.  Need to get some more reps in with the TR before the final verdict.  But so far it's been pretty good and IMO it looks fantastic in the bag.

Second Round:

Swing was not the best, shaft performed pretty decently though.  Played my home course.  Again, shaft definitely feels stiffer than OG Black on course.  Contact and strike were pretty good and no distance lost that I could tell.  After 2 rounds, I think the ultra stiff handle may be subconsciously forcing me to change my release pattern a little bit (earlier in the downswing). Or it could just be me.  I hit a couple of loopy extra in-out toe balls.  I'll be keeping it in the bag for the next few rounds to see how I continue to evolve with it.

Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 5.51.02 PM.png

Edited by hwwong
Multiple
  • Like 2

Titleist TSR3 9 - Diamana GT 60 tx

Titleist TSi3 15 - Ventus Black 7x

Titleist TS2 18 - Diamana DF 80 tx

Mizuno Pro 223 $ Taper HT 130x

Vokey SM7 50F, 55S KBS Hi Rev 2.0 135x

Vokey SM9 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 125x

Ping PLD Kushin 4/TP Mills Dale/TP Mills Nellie

Pro V1

Looking forward to getting this in hand and giving it a go.. will get it on a launch monitor asap.

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

We’ll speak of the devil.. showed up today.

will be putting this in my stealth and giving it a go soon..

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by QuigleyDU
  • Like 3

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Thanks @Fujikura Golf for the chance to test it out. Mine is supposed to be here tomorrow. Can't wait to get out and give it a test! Hoping to get on a Trackman to get some numbers soon too.

Titleist TSi3 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Red 6S
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S
TaylorMade UDI 2 iron - Tour Only Project X HZRDUS 105g 6.5
TaylorMade RSI 3 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW - KBS C Taper X
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 54* SB - KBS C Taper S
TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi-Toe 58* - KBS C Taper S
Custom Cameron & Crown Mallet 1 or Futura 5W w/ custom flow neck
TaylorMade TP5x 

Let’s give this a little go shall we?

Edited by QuigleyDU

BALL; Chrome Soft X

10 hours ago, Gtyler14 said:

Curious to see what you may think. I have the same combo currently and the TR has more feel to it 1000% but for me I think the OG black is better.

I didn’t like the OG black. I hit this on the range yesterday and it was great. The ball seemed to just want to go straight. For me it would get up then go flat and just go. For a stiff shaft it has some feel to it. Felt like I could swing aggressively and not lose control.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

4 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

I didn’t like the OG black. I hit this on the range yesterday and it was great. The ball seemed to just want to go straight. For me it would get up then go flat and just go. For a stiff shaft it has some feel to it. Felt like I could swing aggressively and not lose control.

Yeah it felt similar to me. I liked the more rigid feel of the OG but that shaft broke so I couldn’t try them side by side. TR is really good nonetheless. I did compare it side by side with the black 6TX and on average it was a few yards longer. I might pick up another one just to test after I switch driver heads from my fitting.

7 minutes ago, Gtyler14 said:

Yeah it felt similar to me. I liked the more rigid feel of the OG but that shaft broke so I couldn’t try them side by side. TR is really good nonetheless. I did compare it side by side with the black 6TX and on average it was a few yards longer. I might pick up another one just to test after I switch driver heads from my fitting.

I couldn’t really see any distance gains and don’t really expect any. If there is some great but Dispersion is what I am hoping for. 

Edited by QuigleyDU

BALL; Chrome Soft X

29 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

I couldn’t really see any distance gains and don’t really expect any. If there is some great but Dispersion is what I am hoping for. 

Dispersion was slight worse for me with the TR but not terrible compared to the black. The stealth is a great head but I sometimes fight with it and I’d really like to test the black TR and standard black in my tsr4 head.

5 hours ago, QuigleyDU said:

Glad you were picked for this one. You have posted some pretty impressive numbers in the past and great feedback on other Ventus shafts. No pressure 😅  looking forward to all the updates. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

1 hour ago, getair23 said:

Glad you were picked for this one. You have posted some pretty impressive numbers in the past and great feedback on other Ventus shafts. No pressure 😅  looking forward to all the updates. 

I wanted to get on a launch monitor today.  It I am not feeling strong lol. Will get on one soon.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

45 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

I wanted to get on a launch monitor today.  It I am not feeling strong lol. Will get on one soon.

Don’t skip leg day!

• Like 1

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

8 minutes ago, getair23 said:

Don’t skip leg day!

Denzel Washington GIF

• Like 1

BALL; Chrome Soft X

I just received my TR Red. It’s raining here all day tomorrow so probably won’t be until next weekend for me to test this bad boy out. I will say the weave towards the handle where the shaft turns black is more noticeable than my TR Blue was. Obviously doesn’t help performance but sure looks good!

Well. Decided to go in and make some swings..

Little background. I have been a Ventus blue guy for a few years now (basically since it came out). Then switched to the Ventus blue TR the instant it came out. I tried the OG black and for whatever reason that I honestly can’t say we didn’t get along. But that is ok. The blue was great! 

I was very excited to try the new black because well newer is always better right? Right, well.. it is.. It is better. At least for me. It is way better. 

Weirdly it increased my launch from the blue a degree and a half? Why? I dunno.. but it did. It also dropped my spin by about 300 revs.. ok that makes total sense. What does those two things combined equal? More distance. I was hitting a relatively soft ball. The standard chrome soft. So I think there could be a few more mile per hour ball speed to be attained. I was getting the same ball speed with both the blue and black TR but the launch and spin was different. I was scratching my head a bit because the increased launch (again for me) with the black was not expected. But it what happened..

here are a couple swings the black. Spin kicked up on but I was cruising at about ~2200 spin for the majority..

BEC10246-1A97-4801-88CF-5537981F88EA.jpeg

94AE6DFC-CAB5-45C7-9B51-4A9CC6A7E92F.jpeg

Edited by QuigleyDU
  • Like 4

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Oh and the ball just wants to go straight..

BALL; Chrome Soft X

15 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

Little background. I have been a Ventus blue guy for a few years now (basically since it came out). Then switched to the Ventus blue TR the instant it came out. I tried the OG black and for whatever reason that I honestly can’t say we didn’t get along. But that is ok. The blue was great! 

I was very excited to try the new black because well newer is always better right? Right, well.. it is.. It is better. At least for me. It is way better. 

Weirdly it increased my launch from the blue a degree and a half? Why? I dunno.. but it did. It also dropped my spin by about 300 revs.. ok that makes total sense. What does those two things combined equal? More distance. I was hitting a relatively soft ball. The standard chrome soft. So I think there could be a few more mile per hour ball speed to be attained. I was getting the same ball speed with both the blue and black TR but the launch and spin was different. I was scratching my head a bit because the increased launch (again for me) with the black was not expected. But it what happened..

here are a couple swings the black. Spin kicked up on but I was cruising at about ~2200 spin for the majority..

Are you a hard loader, somewhat quick tempo?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, getitdaily said:

Are you a hard loader, somewhat quick tempo?

I don’t know. I honestly don’t really think so. But I guess it could be relative and by most standards I am. I have never had any lessons or anyone that I would consider knowledgeable say “wow, you’re a hard loader” lol..

Edited by QuigleyDU
  • Like 1

BALL; Chrome Soft X

anyone else get their shafts yet? 

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Got my order in and finally brought it out to hit a few balls last night.

I was in a Ventus Black 6x a while back and eventually switched into the 6tx.

I have to say, I like the TR a LOT. The 6tx I was using previously would sometimes give me some knuckling shots that fell out of the air and I had to add some extra weight into my stealth plus head just to get some feel into the tx.

The TR gave me a lot more consistency in my launch and a lot more feel. Just what I saw on the range so excited to see what the numbers are on a simulator!

• Thanks 1

So I was going to wait until after Thursday when I can do a real good thorough LM session but I did get a chance to hit a few today. I stopped by a local golf shop to try out the new TSR line. After finding what seemed to work best for me, TSR3/AD-DI 6s, I then put it up against my new PXG Gen5/TR Red 6s. Now obviously this was with different heads so take it for what it’s worth but the TSR3 was about 4mph ball speed faster. The TR Red felt amazing. I was actually nervous that the stiff flex wouldn’t be stiff enough, it felt VERY stable, but still with a nice kick. I was swinging around 105mph and I have a quick transition. Honesty it felt pretty similar to the AD-DI. The dispersion was slightly better with the TR but I don’t know how much that had to do with the different heads. Playing a 9* TSR3 and a 10.5 PXG but turned down to 9.5 I was getting almost identical launch and spin numbers. Again I know this isn’t really a good way to review a shaft at all but just felt like I would chime in with what I initially saw. The most promising takeaway I had was that the TR Red wasn’t launching the ball too high. My transition really demands the stiffer butt section of the Black and Red profile but the Black just launches too low and with no kick at all. If I can get the super stiff butt section in a shaft that still has some feel/kick then this thing will be a keeper. The TR Blue I had was great but I felt like it got a little away from me when I really went after one. 

• Like 1

What is interesting to me is how different the tr black compared to the OG black. Depending on the individual you may prefer one or the other. One is not better. They are just different. I didn’t notice it as much comparing the tr blue to the OG blue. But it stands out in the black to me for sure.. the TR is snappy and crisp, while the OG is more warm feeling.

If that makes any sense. 😂😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

BALL; Chrome Soft X

On 9/13/2022 at 7:13 PM, QuigleyDU said:

What is interesting to me is how different the tr black compared to the OG black. Depending on the individual you may prefer one or the other. One is not better. They are just different. I didn’t notice it as much comparing the tr blue to the OG blue. But it stands out in the black to me for sure.. the TR is snappy and crisp, while the OG is more warm feeling.

If that makes any sense. 😂😂

Exactly. TR is really really really good…with that being said I like the OG black a lot better 🤣.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Gtyler14 said:

Exactly. TR is really really really good…with that being said I like the OG black a lot better 🤣.

Nice. Use what works!

BALL; Chrome Soft X

This is such a subjective question but is anyone in TR having to go from a LS head to the standard model? For example I’m currently playing the LTDx LS, but have my TR black on the way. I’m worried that the LS and Tr black maybe too low low and I may have to swap to the standard LTDx 

just putting some feelers out there..

On 9/10/2022 at 5:47 PM, QuigleyDU said:

Did you notice your contact with the new black moving up on the face a bit?  Could be less deflection so the face is coming in a little closer to the ground.  Would explain the drop in spin too.  Reason I ask is that is what I ended up seeing when I felt brave enough to hit the Trono 6X.  

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS