2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Going back from SC Phantom X5.5 to SC Newport 2 again, anyone else?

playgolf111

For many years I had always different Scotty Cameron Newport 2 putter in play and in March I switched to a SC Phantom X 5.5.

I don’t really have that feeling with this putter especially the short putts. Is it the grip? Or the heavier Putter? The Phantom X 5.5 has the Super Stroke Flatso 1.0 and my Newport 2 the Super Stroke Pistol GT 1.0. Anyway I switched back to my trusty NP 2.

Titleist TSR2 Driver 10*

Titleist TSI2 16.5*

Titleist TSR1 hybrid 20*

Titleist U510 4 iron

Titleist C16 Limited 5-GW

Titleist Vokey SM9 54° & 58°

Scotty Cameron Newport 2+ Special Select

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 / Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I’ve switched back and forth between the two.  Really wanted the 5.5 to work because I love the looks and it feels great.  Problem is my putting wasn’t very good with it.  I prefer a toe hang putter but could never gain consistency with it.  A lot of missed short putts.  Currently gaming a Spider Hydroblast flow neck.  Less toe hang and the shaft isn’t as loose.  I dislike the look but the flow feels very good and I make a lot of putts.  Would give the 5.5 another shot if it had less hang, maybe in an L neck like JT switched to. 

1 minute ago, So_Cal said:

I’ve switched back and forth between the two.  Really wanted the 5.5 to work because I love the looks and it feels great.  Problem is my putting wasn’t very good with it.  I prefer a toe hang putter but could never gain consistency with it.  A lot of missed short putts.  Currently gaming a Spider Hydroblast flow neck.  Less toe hang and the shaft isn’t as loose.  I dislike the look but the flow feels very good and I make a lot of putts.  Would give the 5.5 another shot if it had less hang, maybe in an L neck like JT switched to. 

So_Cal@ It looks like we’re in the same boat. Maybe I try a bit smaller grip like the SC Matador mid. I used this grip on many NP2 Putter.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 Driver 10*

Titleist TSI2 16.5*

Titleist TSR1 hybrid 20*

Titleist U510 4 iron

1 minute ago, playgolf111 said:

So_Cal@ It looks like we’re in the same boat. Maybe I try a bit smaller grip like the SC Matador mid. I used this grip on many NP2 Putter.

I’m definitely in the thin grip camp when it comes to toe flow putters.  Have the Lamkin deep etched on my Spider and my touch is much better than with the super stroke.  Love the baby T too but those are hard to find these days 

I have a phantom x 9.5.  I’ve made more 25 footers this year than ever before. However, I’ve also missed more 5-7 footers than I can ever remember. 

I have the tour 2.0 SS and definitely think I need something slimmer. 

funny thing is I did well with a Spyder flow neck as well. Just hates the insert. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 Ventus Black 6X

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5 Wood Ventus Black 8X

TaylorMade UDI 3 20* KBS Tour Proto Hybrid 95X

Ping i230 4-PW Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX6 ZipCore 50,54,58

L.A.B. DF3

-Pro V1X

I’ve been testing this x5.5 with a plumbers neck and I’m impressed this far. Can’t tell if it’s the honeymoon phase or if this is the real deal. I’ve always liked the 5 head style but found I line up plumbers necks better than flow/slant necks. Time will tell, but for now I’m enjoying the best of both worlds. 

C395629C-9234-4A7F-A619-BFB89F403CC4.jpeg.9065d4494551e79cb30c06cf14ecb766.jpeg

123A056D-1AB4-4EAE-AB36-80D6103E6856.jpeg.ecbb54e33c68d2003cf29cdf3fc91e3f.jpeg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kb7 said:

I’ve been testing this x5.5 with a plumbers neck and I’m impressed this far. Can’t tell if it’s the honeymoon phase or if this is the real deal. I’ve always liked the 5 head style but found I line up plumbers necks better than flow/slant necks. Time will tell, but for now I’m enjoying the best of both worlds. 

C395629C-9234-4A7F-A619-BFB89F403CC4.jpeg.9065d4494551e79cb30c06cf14ecb766.jpeg

123A056D-1AB4-4EAE-AB36-80D6103E6856.jpeg.ecbb54e33c68d2003cf29cdf3fc91e3f.jpeg

That’s a sweet build.  May I ask for build details?  Also how much weight did it add?  Curious about specs 

OP I did the same. Got the 5.5 and putted well with it initially but went back to my soft Newport over summer. Tried the 5.5 again now the greens have slowed and didn’t like it, so got a California Monterey and I’m putting better with the blade.

I want to like the 5.5 and I hole more longer putts with it, but I don’t have the same consistency on the short ones as my blades. Even my old 2014 fastback is far easier to control.

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour 
Titleist ts3 21 Hzrdus Smoke
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Titleist Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport Two
Titleist pro v1x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

I went back to a blade this year with a small diameter rubber grip and just committed to a pre putt routine and using a line on the ball and my putting was a solid part of my game all season. Tried #7 styles, center shaft mini mallet, big grips, ect. Back with a classic style and loving it. 

• Like 2

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Wilson FG Tour V4 4-PW DG Pro S300

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

I have gone through a lot of putters in the last couple years but the 5.5 was one of my shortest periods of "in the bag" yet. I had no speed control whatsoever with it. Made a lot from 10' and in, but zero speed control outside that distance. 

You mention grips, I have no feel with a large/soft grip. Just picked up a toulon with stroke lab shaft, and that soft pistol grip is awful to me. Lamkin deep etch has been my go to but just ordered a few pingman pp58's because I believe they are slightly narrower. I think a narrow grip and a light swing weight is going to give you the best speed control, but finding something stable for your stroke becomes the next challenge. 

Personally, I prioritize speed control to starting my ball on line. Would rather miss but leave it by the hole than hit my line and run it by or leave it way short. Once I am confident in speed, i can focus more on line with less stress. All that to say, Id rather game a newport than the 5.5!

• Like 1

I replaced the SS Flatso 1.0 grip to a SC Matador midsize grip. Will be on the course next week and hope the speed control will be better.

Titleist TSR2 Driver 10*

Titleist TSI2 16.5*

Titleist TSR1 hybrid 20*

Titleist U510 4 iron

29 minutes ago, playgolf111 said:

I replaced the SS Flatso 1.0 grip to a SC Matador midsize grip. Will be on the course next week and hope the speed control will be better.

Im looking to go the opposite for better speed control lol. Have a SS Tour 2.0. Either trying a Flatso 1.0 or a Tour 1.0. 

I am fine outside 15 feet, I’m just struggling inside 7 feet for speed. 

L.A.B. DF3

-Pro V1X

I went from blade - mid mallet - to mallet. My putting stroke has never changed and I think that was the key for me. (still putt like I'm using a blade)

My journey ended with my Triple Black, but I am contemplating sending my px 5.5, in for the blacked out treatment..

• Like 1

Titleist....

19 minutes ago, dropkicked said:

I went from blade - mid mallet - to mallet. My putting stroke has never changed and I think that was the key for me. (still putt like I'm using a blade)

My journey ended with my Triple Black, but I am contemplating sending my px 5.5, in for the blacked out treatment..

Dumb question but who does the black out? I’m assuming the SC Custom Shop?

L.A.B. DF3

-Pro V1X

1 hour ago, VanTheMan0519 said:

Dumb question but who does the black out? I’m assuming the SC Custom Shop?

I was going to pick one of the respected indy shops touted on this board..  I'm not entirely sure if Scotty custom shop will do it, but you've reminded me to ask. 🙂

Titleist....

Try to figure out which putter you putt the best with. Do stat for rounds or on the practice green.

If you still want to use the lesser putter, for some reason, you are free to do so.

As I write here, I'm not sure a certain toe hang angle feels the same if the compared putters have different MOI.

Edited by ShortGameGod
  • Like 2

in a similar camp, gamed a Newport 2 for many years and trying out a 5.5 now.  while practicing it really feels like my stroke with the 5.5 is more consistent, esp with shorter putts.  but on the course I was struggling with distance control.  not sure whether to attribute that to the superstroke grip (a first for me) or the head shape of the putter.  tempted to try a pistolini style grip and see if that makes a difference.

🍍 2023 WITB 🍍

Titleist TSR3 9.0* w/ Ventus Black 6x

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 15* w/ Ventus Red 7x

Titleist TSR3 19* w/ Ventus HB Blue 8s

Titleist T200 4-iron w/ Axiom 105x

Artisan LS 720HM 5-PW w/ Modus 115x

Artisan 50*, 56* w/ TT DGS S200

Vokey WW 60* LB-K w/ TT DGS S200

Scotty Cameron Tei3 Newport Two

• 5 months later...

This post hits home- I’ve played a Newport or Newport 2 for the past 20 years. I bought a phantom 5.5 on a whim bc JT and Homa were ex blade guys that have had success. 
The weight and stability are great, initially I missed a few left but I think it was just me adjusting to the offset differences. A key to my success was lowering the weight from 360g (D8 SW) down to 352g at 34" (D5 SW). It allows me the speed control of my blades but more stability.

I love the 5.5 on the short ones especially as the profile just gives you confidence. Light grip pressure and slightly lighter SW is working.

Edited by BobbyBuckets1986
more insights

Cobra Radspeed 10.5* w/ ventus black 6x

Cobra Radspeed 3w 15.5* w/ hzrdus smoke blue rdx 6.5 70g

Srixon ZX MKII utility 20* w/ graphite design tour AD IZ 95S 

Taylormade P770 4 & 5 iron w/ PX 6.5
Taylormade P7TW's (6-PW) w/ PX 6.5 
Titleist Vokey 51 w/ PX 6.5

Titleist Vokey 55, 59 w/ Dynamic Gold tour issue S400 
Odyssey Ai-ONE Jailbird Mini DB 34" 

I gave my x5.5 another few rounds over winter and still went back to my blades. Currently gaming a 2011 Newport 2 and couldn’t be happier.

Edited by philly2kuk
  • Like 2

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour 
Titleist ts3 21 Hzrdus Smoke
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Titleist Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport Two
Titleist pro v1x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

Played a Newport for the last 3 years. Used a number of odyssey/ping blades before that. Just picked up a phantom x 7.5. Been rolling it great indoors but I’ll put it to the real test over the next month or so and report back. Nice thread 

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5* Alta CB Black 65 S

Titleist TSR2 15* Ventus Blue 7S

Titleist U505 20* HZRDUS Smoke RDX 6.5 80g

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW KBS Tour 120g Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM10 48.8F, 54.10S, 58.8M S300

Scotty Cameron Newport 2+

Titleist ProV1x

I played blade putter forever and then a special select newport 2 for 2 years. Told myself it was going to be a putter I'd keep forever. Tried a 5.5 with ss flatso 1.0 which was such a different look but I really liked it and sold the special select. Miss the feel of the special select but unlike most posts I've read I find much better distance control with the 5.5 and make more putts 15-20 feet out, shorter putts easier to line up. The newport plus and 2 plus are really really temping me to try out but I keep telling myself to stick with the 5.5.

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 54.14 F - TT DG TI S400

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

Much like someone else said above, this post is crazy relatable for me.  Save for a brief stint way back with the original Itsy Bitsy Spider, I've primarily just gamed blades during all of my playing years.  Mostly plumbers necks till gravitating towards slants and flows.  Around the time the original PX 5.5 came out (with the low bend shaft), I wasn't putting great and decided I wanted to see if going a totally different direction w/ a mallet would be the key.  Liked JT's putter so I got the aforementioned original 5.5 - wasn't bad, definitely had a nice honeymoon period with it but eventually started really noticing a lack of stability.  Was very happy when they released the updated version w/ the slant and grabbed one of those.  At times, I've loved it and have played some very good rounds of golf with it in the bag.  But most recently I've struggled with two things using it - speed control and consistently hitting the middle of the face.  My last straw was a recent 3-day 6-round trip to Myrtle in which I hit the ball fairly well most of the time but struggled like I can't ever remember before on the greens, particularly in that I literally could not stop myself from hammering almost every putt well past the hole.  The following week after I got home, I put my 2016 2.5 Select back in the bag and have now used it for the last four rounds.  Everything has improved - speed control is very decent again, more of my putts are coming off the center of the face, and I actually have some confidence w/ it.

Ironically I've even had some of the same grip experiences as other posters.  I had bounced around before - couple different super strokes, matador, pistolero, however for the last 2-3 years, I've been solely using the Lamkin deep etch.  But of course I had to experiment and most recently had been using a Pistol GT Tour on the 5.5.  It's very possible that the grip experiment has a lot to do with my recent bad run with this putter, but I think the full-on putter change was best idea for now based on results.

Not saying I won't go back to the 5.5 (or a different mallet) at some point, but right now the blade is feeling better.  So much so that it inspired me to build a project putter which I hope to have done in the next week.  Building up a 2020 Special Select NP2 (yep, giving the plumber's neck a run again) with one of the new Steelfiber P125 putter shafts and of course, a deep etch grip.  The worst part of the switch?  I've been collecting TBC headcovers for the last couple years and virtually all of them are mallet covers!  Looks like I might need to find a couple other collectors and offer up some trades lol.

Edited by PittShark
  • Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 8*, Tour AD-DI 6s
Titleist TSi2 16.5*, Tour AD-DI 7s
Titleist TSi2 18*, Tour AD-DI 85s Hyb
Callaway ‘24 Apex Pro 5-AW, MMT 95s
Callaway Jaws Raw 50s, KBS TourV 110
Callaway Jaws Raw 54s, KBS TourV 110
Callaway Jaws  Raw Full Toe 58j, KBS TourV 110
Scotty Cameron 2021 Phantom X 5.5 | 2016 Select Newport 2.5 (1st of 500) | 2020 Special Select Newport 2 (SteelFiber P125 shaft)

I have a 7.5 and a fastback 1.5 I am having a rough time pick which one to bag. Both look great and feel great. Both with Lamkin deep etch cord grips. Might pick up a couple super stroke 1.0 pistol grips. Nothing but indoor rolling right now but things are drying up nicely hopefully few more weeks! 

For me, it was impossible to miss within 5 feet with the 5.5 but my distance control was bad. Something about the bigger head of a mallet made me think I was going to crush the ball so I wouldn't hit it hard enough and I'd leave a lot short. Went back to a blade and my distance control came back. Pretty sure I'm a blade guy. I am going to try the Golo 6 though just to see what that's all about. Maybe a mid-mallet could be the best of both worlds. If not, you'll see it in the classifieds in late May lol

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 - D

Titleist TSR3 - 4W

Titleist T200 - 4i

Titleist T150 - 5-GW

Vokey SM9 - 52º - 56º - 60º

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport

Titleist Pro V1

Update: This 5.5 is special lol...it swing so nice and within 10 feet it feels almost automatic. Distance control was poor with the stock D8 SW. I mentioned this above but lowering it to 350g gave me a lot more feel. This matches my newport 2 special select that I love so much. 

The alignment line on the top is nice for me as I'm left eye dominant but right handed. If you're on the fence about the 5.5 and you have a slight arc in the stroke (Newport blades) then I'd say pull the trigger, can't go wrong but the key to success seems to be slightly lighter for more feel. JT plays his at 350g and 34.5". 

Edited by BobbyBuckets1986
spec update

Cobra Radspeed 10.5* w/ ventus black 6x

Cobra Radspeed 3w 15.5* w/ hzrdus smoke blue rdx 6.5 70g

Srixon ZX MKII utility 20* w/ graphite design tour AD IZ 95S 

Taylormade P770 4 & 5 iron w/ PX 6.5
Taylormade P7TW's (6-PW) w/ PX 6.5 
Titleist Vokey 51 w/ PX 6.5

Titleist Vokey 55, 59 w/ Dynamic Gold tour issue S400 
Odyssey Ai-ONE Jailbird Mini DB 34" 

Yup. Have a handful of Newport 2s and have been gaming them for the past 5 years or so. Last year I got a 5.5 after my buddy got one and talked about he much he loved it. I hit a bunch of putts on the practice green with it, really liked it too so decided to try it out. Wasn’t putting great leading up this all of this so thought maybe it would help me out. 

I really like the putter overall, and like said above I feel really confident inside 5-6 feet with it, but overall I just like the feeling and look of the Newport 2 better.  I’ll play like 5-10 rounds with the Newport 2, then 1-2 with the 5.5 and then find myself always switching back.