New Sunglasses - Advice for the Best Lenses? (Prescription)

jholz

Hey everyone, I'm in the market for some new prescription sunglasses specifically for golf.

I've had lots of shooting glasses in my life. I recognize the impact that a good pair of glasses and the right tint can have... improving perception and, in turn, performance. I know what works for clay targets, but, I've never bought a pair of glasses specifically for golf - so looking for a bit of info to help me make a decent purchase.

I know, I know... just get some Oakley Flak 2.0's (or similar) with Prizm lenses and be done with it right? Maybe I'll lay out the $500 bucks...but regardless of the price, I'd like to make an informed decision. 

I definitely need good sun protection for my eyes, as I have macular degeneration in my family - but I'd also love to find something that could help me see contours on the greens a bit better. Any tints that might be better than others for those two primary purposes?

Should I go polorized? Red/Rose tint? Brown? Green? Mirrored or not?

I'm completely clueless. Any and all advice welcome!

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

3 minutes ago, Itsjustagame said:

Maui Jim

Yeah, I see their name come up a lot in the forum. I know they are pretty highly respected around here. 

Do they have any lenses or tints that they market specifically for golf? Did you find a specific lens/tint that you really like?

or
or

I also have Maui Jim, a few pair....if you need progressive lenses as I do, IIRC, they only offer those is a glass/polycarb blend, which TBH are quite heavy, the Oakley are featherweight in comparison

Paradym 9.5

Rogue ST Max HL 3wd (really a 4wd)

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Apex 21 Mixed Combo Set 5-A

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

Just now, Is Golf Fun or Work said:

I also have Maui Jim, a few pair....if you need progressive lenses as I do, IIRC, they only offer those is a glass/polycarb blend, which TBH are quite heavy, the Oakley are featherweight in comparison

Thankfully, I'm still single vision. But, the Oakleys are attractive because of the reason you mention.

or
or

I wear Maui Jim’s with Rose Brilliant lenses. They are great. Also had the Oakley golf specific Prizm and like the MJ better. 

PING G430 LST 10.5 Ventus Velocore Blue 6S

Titleist TSR2 15 Tensei 1K Black 75S

Titleist TSi2 18 Ventus Velocore Red 7S

PING G430 #5 Hybrid HZRDUS RDX Red 6.0 

Artisan FC 5-7 Axiom 105S

Artisan HC 8-PW Axiom 105S

Artisan 50S and 54S Dynamic Gold S300

Vokey SM8 raw 58-12D Dynamic Gold S200

PING Custom PLD Anser X stainless/Oyster

2 hours ago, jholz said:

Hey everyone, I'm in the market for some new prescription sunglasses specifically for golf.

I've had lots of shooting glasses in my life. I recognize the impact that a good pair of glasses and the right tint can have... improving perception and, in turn, performance. I know what works for clay targets, but, I've never bought a pair of glasses specifically for golf - so looking for a bit of info to help me make a decent purchase.

I know, I know... just get some Oakley Flak 2.0's (or similar) with Prizm lenses and be done with it right? Maybe I'll lay out the $500 bucks...but regardless of the price, I'd like to make an informed decision. 

I definitely need good sun protection for my eyes, as I have macular degeneration in my family - but I'd also love to find something that could help me see contours on the greens a bit better. Any tints that might be better than others for those two primary purposes?

Should I go polorized? Red/Rose tint? Brown? Green? Mirrored or not?

I'm completely clueless. Any and all advice welcome!

I tried Maui Jim this past year. Not a fan. Their progressive lens had a much narrower field of vision than others I’ve tried and when I switched to distance only it was nothing to write home about. 

Sports Optical in Denver has always done a nice job and I have a pair of lenses from Revant (online shop) that I like better than my MJ lenses. 

drn92

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, drn92 said:

Did you get the progressive lenses through Oakley?

drn92

Yes, through my optometrist.  If you have your RX, I'm pretty sure you can order direct from Oakley....not cheap but totally worth the $$$$.

I live in DFW, and the dark golf Prizm are great...I even wear them for driving....they are NOT super dark, but dark enough even in TX summer sun, so if want something really dark look at other Prizm colors.

• Like 2

Paradym 9.5

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

I wear my sunglasses the entire time I golf so for me going with something not polarized helped a ton with depth perception especially putting. I probably could have gone with a bit lighter of tint to see things better but that will be the next pair.

If you have shooting lenses I'd definitely look at what you have and what you like, maybe take like your favorite or 3 favorites and if you can maybe play a round with them or a few holes each see if one stands out. If that does take them to your optometrist and see what they have similar or look at whatever brand you plan to go with on their site for something close.

Sunglasses and lenses like clubs are very personal.

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I just asked my optometrist about golf specific sun glasses.   I currently have brown colored polarized progressive sunglasses.   He said since progressive sunglasses for golfers was rare, to stick with what I have.   He stated that the brown color gave more color definition and depth perception than the other color lenses.   I've not had Oakley or Maui Jim to compare though.   

• Like 1

Oakley Prizm Golf lenses. Not polarised as that doesn’t help with depth perception.

I had the Dark Golf and they were great for golf. Lenses got scratched up after a couple of years and I replaced them with Black Iridium. No good for golf. You want the lenses that brighten everything while providing protection and contrast.

I’ve moved to the standard Prizm Golf lens and they are excellent. I will note that in my experience no lens helps when putting. In fact I think they all make it more difficult to read greens. Probably why lots of pros remove their sunglasses when putting

Edited by anth
Spelling
  • Like 3

TaylorMade Qi10 Designer Series (Black Out) 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black / Mizuno M.Craft OMOI #1
Bridgestone Tour RX

Footnote: Oakley are rationalising the number of lenses they offer. Prizm Golf will be discontinued, but Field will still be available. Field have more of a brown/gold tint but are still fine for golf

• Like 2

TaylorMade Qi10 Designer Series (Black Out) 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black / Mizuno M.Craft OMOI #1
Bridgestone Tour RX

Here's Adam Scott's sunglasses, I specifically picked out these photos from his best day(s) of his best ball-striking week, the 2016 WGC Cadillac in the driver photos. I also picked a photo from his best day of his best putting week, the 2018 Northern Trust. He wore Oakley in 2016 but switched to Torch in 2018. You can't really go wrong with those three colors.

gettyimages-513530986-1024x1024.jpg

gettyimages-514086266-1024x1024.jpg

gettyimages-1022805882-1024x1024.jpg

Edited by golferdude54
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, drn92 said:

I tried Maui Jim this past year. Not a fan. Their progressive lens had a much narrower field of vision than others I’ve tried and when I switched to distance only it was nothing to write home about. 

Sports Optical in Denver has always done a nice job and I have a pair of lenses from Revant (online shop) that I like better than my MJ lenses. 

drn92

Wow, that's crazy. I grew up in Denver and remember Sports Optical. Hard to believe they are still around. But then, given all the wonderful things that I've always heard about them, it makes sense.

I've definitely considered going the "specialized optometrist" route. Given the base price of most quality eyeglasses these days, seems like it might still be a cost effective option - or at least not significantly more expensive that ordering direct.

I'll have to dig around a bit to see what's available in my area and ponder.  

or
or

15 hours ago, Is Golf Fun or Work said:

Yes, through my optometrist.  If you have your RX, I'm pretty sure you can order direct from Oakley....not cheap but totally worth the $$$$.

I live in DFW, and the dark golf Prizm are great...I even wear them for driving....they are NOT super dark, but dark enough even in TX summer sun, so if want something really dark look at other Prizm colors.

As a fan of quality, I'm obviously drawn to Oakley's. It may be time to treat myself. I'm worth it, dammit!

• Like 1

or
or

7 hours ago, anth said:

Oakley Prizm Golf lenses. Not polarised as that doesn’t help with depth perception.

I had the Dark Golf and they were great for golf. Lenses got scratched up after a couple of years and I replaced them with Black Iridium. No good for golf. You want the lenses that brighten everything while providing protection and contrast.

I’ve moved to the standard Prizm Golf lens and they are excellent. I will note that in my experience no lens helps when putting. In fact I think they all make it more difficult to read greens. Probably why lots of pros remove their sunglasses when putting

Interesting. 

I know fishing people tend to like polarized lenses and why, but other than that, I've never taken the time to understand the impact on vision and perception.

Given this, it makes sense that polarization is not a thing in shooting glasses, and perhaps not the best thing for golf either.

Appreciate it!

• Like 1

or
or

I have an expensive Lenscrafters prescription with  transitions and polarized lenses.

I bought a cheap pair of glasses from Zennis for golfing.  Also single prescription but no polarization.  Will see if it helps my green reading.

I've bought half a dozen Zennis and the  prescriptions are spot on.  The frames are acceptable for what I paid for them.

Edited by ShortGolfer

6 hours ago, golferdude54 said:

Here's Adam Scott's sunglasses, I specifically picked out these photos from his best day(s) of his best ball-striking week, the 2016 WGC Cadillac in the driver photos. I also picked a photo from his best day of his best putting week, the 2018 Northern Trust. He wore Oakley in 2016 but switched to Torch in 2018. You can't really go wrong with those three colors.

gettyimages-513530986-1024x1024.jpg

gettyimages-514086266-1024x1024.jpg

gettyimages-1022805882-1024x1024.jpg

Thanks for this. Appreciate it. Adam Scott and I do share an uncanny resemblance... This is pretty much what I will look like. 🙂

But seriously, I've always favored reds/rose tint for shooting glasses. Looks like there might be three different lenses in these photos, but the top and bottom ones look a lot like shooting glasses I've owned in the past.

Given the complementary nature of red/green and the way our eyes work (at least according to shotgun people) the red tint offers great contrast with natural backgrounds and earth tones. Really helps to define edges and highlight movement across mottled fields of view. I think I'll always be drawn to that kind of lens.

or
or

1 hour ago, jholz said:

As a fan of quality, I'm obviously drawn to Oakley's. It may be time to treat myself. I'm worth it, dammit!

Every optometrist I've dealt with at the Oakley store in Park Meadows have been great, and they really know their products and lenses inside and out. Can't say the same for the Lenscrafters a few doors down. I had been down on Oakley due to brand name price premium, but we have the upgraded EyeMed insurance, and out-of-pocket costs were super reasonable. They have been my daily single-vision frames/lenses for about five years now, and I'm not sure I can go back to anything else.

• Like 1

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

It's all personal preference. Maui has a great warranty program but nothing golf specific. The oakley golf prism lenses are tinted pink so people are 50/50 on the look but they work well as far as enhancing vision.  Depending on your rx you might be limited on what they can put into certain frames.  The more wrap a frame has the better for sun protection but also harder for people for have astigmatism or need a progressive lens.  Best to go to a local optometrist and have them direct you on what can be made for you.  

• Like 1

I have tried a bunch of different prescription sunglasses over the years.  There are a lot of good options listed above.  The 2 I would add are Roka and Torch.  Roka has a lightweight frame with rubber nose piece and ear to reduce slippage.  Torch has some wrap around styles with golf specific lenses.

https://www.torcheyewear.com/pages/golf-lens-sunglasses

Edited by Mob
  • Like 1

LEFT HANDED

Callaway Paradym Smoke TD with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

Just ordered a replacement pair of prescription sunglasses myself. I went with the Flak 2.0 frame and OG Prizm Golf lense.

I had the OG Half Jacket for 6+ years (did a review here so look it up) with the Prizm Golf lense. Love the frame & lense but Oakley has deprecated this model.

Played in Hawaii but mainly Los Angeles where we get sunshine 365. The OG Prizm Golf lense works great but on pure sunny days, it feels like its bright but hear me out...when I play at dusk, these lenses let more light in so they are useable in those conditions. Since I prefer later rounds, I do not mind the brightness at noon. Cloudy days, I much prefer the brighter PG lense.

One other thing, these prescription lenses are THICK. At least for my prescriptions so make sure you have the correct fit frame otherwise the bottom of the lenses will annoy the crap out of you when it bumps the cheek area.

Yeah, other than that, try not to drop these lenses. They scratch easily. I picked my replacement (frame and lense) for about $390 from Oakley.com. Frame was 30% off and the prescription was $100 off retail. I love the frame, its a limited edition as well.

Edited by SwingBlues
  • Like 1

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

4 hours ago, jholz said:

Wow, that's crazy. I grew up in Denver and remember Sports Optical. Hard to believe they are still around. But then, given all the wonderful things that I've always heard about them, it makes sense.

I've definitely considered going the "specialized optometrist" route. Given the base price of most quality eyeglasses these days, seems like it might still be a cost effective option - or at least not significantly more expensive that ordering direct.

I'll have to dig around a bit to see what's available in my area and ponder.  

They have moved a couple times, now at 58th and Logan. Still the same team running the show. Been a while for us since we’ve purchased lenses from them, but historically they have done an outstanding job (probably 20 lenses between the family). I wish they were closer, I’d probably use them for my next pair. 

drn92

19 hours ago, Is Golf Fun or Work said:

Thanks. Do you find them to be a better progressive for golf and can you still use them as daily sunglasses?

I have progressive sunglasses but do not have a lot of luck with them for golf so I have distance-only for golf. I’d like to get to a single pair of sunglasses.

drn92

2 hours ago, pseudoswede said:

Every optometrist I've dealt with at the Oakley store in Park Meadows have been great, and they really know their products and lenses inside and out. Can't say the same for the Lenscrafters a few doors down. I had been down on Oakley due to brand name price premium, but we have the upgraded EyeMed insurance, and out-of-pocket costs were super reasonable. They have been my daily single-vision frames/lenses for about five years now, and I'm not sure I can go back to anything else.

I’m closer to Flatirons. Oakley store there is pretty good. They are having an Rx sale, so am pondering new glasses this winter. Might have to make the trip down to Park Meadows. 

drn92

• Like 2

2 hours ago, drn92 said:

Thanks. Do you find them to be a better progressive for golf and can you still use them as daily sunglasses?

I have progressive sunglasses but do not have a lot of luck with them for golf so I have distance-only for golf. I’d like to get to a single pair of sunglasses.

drn92

I was hesitant to go progressive with golf glasses, but I was more than pleasantly surprised as to how Oakley did the progression....far better than my Maui Jims.  I had no issues, or no need to adjust to the Oakley playing golf.

• Like 1

Paradym 9.5

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

I go with Smith Optics...Bronze or Copper lenses, they just really create clarity, contrast, block glare and even more depth perception (IMO).  The 6, 8, 9 wrap blocks out the sun on all sides.  Smith chromapop lenses are light, the glass ones are heavier, both are top notch   

Have some Maui's I like as well, went with brown lenses, again with face wrap.   All polarized.  

Haven't had great success with other color lenses and I play in pretty bright environments.  Use these as my all the time sunglasses however, never go outside without shades...

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto