2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Apex Pro 21 vs Apex tcb

Parjim734

I have it narrowed down to these 2 irons. Need feedback from users. Little info on me. 57 yeas old, still very athletic and play 2-3 times a week. Been playing Taylormade p760, 2020 P770, P7MC last 3 years Modus 120 stiff. After 20 years playing TaylorMade only clubs, looking to make a change . My ocd kicks in and I will be changing entire bag to Callaway. Grew up playing blades, or small cavity back irons. Any feedback would be appreciated 

Given the irons you listed, I’m assuming you are a good ball striker, low handicap. Then  I would definitely go TCB just on feel alone. The 21 pros are very nice looking but the 7 iron and longer feel and sound horrible. If you are not a very good striker I would recommend the combo Apex set with standard Apex in 4-7 for added forgiveness and they actually feel and sound better than the pros. Hopefully, the next iteration of the Apex Pro addresses the issue.

9 minutes ago, Parjim734 said:

I’m pretty sure I’m going with the 21 pros 4-aw. I’m going for a fitting next week for shafts. Was able to hit tcb today, but I think the pros will hel on the days I’m not quite on my game

@Parjim734 The Apex Pro 21s are so good. Scoring irons… up to you, but the players blended set is exceptional. 

• Like 1

I was fitted for a set of Apex Pros. Loved them in the sim. One range session followed by 9 holes and I was hideously offended by the feel. I mean there was no way I could continue. Just my two cents tho, opinions will vary.

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

I second the apex pro/mb combo. Can be found on CPO for good prices. Best of both worlds. Its not the feel but rather the sound that can be off-putting with the pros. I tend to get over that rather quick if it performs and its not TERRIBLY obnoxious.

Edited by Red4282
  • Like 1

I play the tcb and they are some of the best irons I've ever played. The apex pro feels like garbage. That said I play firm golf balls so the apex was extra offensive.

D Stealth 2 Plus 9 w/ Ventus Blue TR 6x
FW: Stealth 3 wood Ventus Blue TR 7x 

Stealth 5 wood Hazrdus Black 80 TX 

UW: Apex UW 21 with ventus red 8x
Irons: Srixon ZX5 4 iron ZX7 5-pw dynamic gold tour issue x100
Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore RAC 50 and 55

SM9 60K dynamic gold tour issue x100
Putter: Odyssey OG 7CH 34" 

Depends if you need distance or not. If you need to get a few more yard go apex pro. I have hit them and didn’t notice them sounding weird. 

TCB are very nice. Smaller, more compact, thinner..

Callaway Smoke TD Max 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym TD 3W- evenflow white 75x 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Callaway apex CB - 4-Pw - 6.0 PX LZ 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
LAB DF3 

I think you will be very happy with that decision. They are surprisingly forgiving and stable across the face. 

feel is exponentially better than the pros…. On par with some of the best feeling irons out there…. I play Miura as well… 

Look on CPO at the woods. They can be had for crazy cheap. The wedges too. Lots of high end shaft options. 

I preferred the epic line, especially the max ls driver because the weight adjustability of the epic line was better than the rogue ST… allowed me to fine tune swing weight and positioning better. I play a 44.5” driver length. 

gains between the too will be very little from a tech perspective. Especially if you consider the cost savings of epic vs rogue. 

I had a set of 3-7 Apex Pro 21, 8-PW Apex MB w/S400 shafts.  They are great irons! I still have them actually but will likely be selling as they haven't yet been substantially better than my old Mizuno MP20 MMC DG120X irons. They are easily as good however. 

If you are a good ball striker, I would recommend looking at these. I can't say that the Pro 21s are better or worse than my MMCs; they are supposedly loaded with more "tech" but my full 6-iron is still 184-195 on either of these if I make a good swing. The only difference is if I mis-hit the 8-iron, being a blade. Distance drops by 5-7 yards or so, but I am not consistent enough so that I have ever noticed a difference on the course. Only the range. 

6 hours ago, FifeRiviera said:

I took in a set of AP21s as trade against my P7MC/Bs and I am so impressed they're staying all year now. 

Little bit longer than normal, slightly more forgiving and PLENTY spin. one hop stop with a 5 iron no issue. 

Yeah, I have to hit a rock-hard, slightly uphill 190-yard par 3 with my 5-iron at my course with a crazy sloping green.  It is always a very difficult shot, but I haven't had an issue with the Apex Pro not stopping. Plenty of pars with that club, and even a couple of birdies! Choke down maybe 1/2" and the distance is perfect. 

If I had to nitpick, I would say that the AP21 is a touch more forgiving than my MMC MP20 in the long irons; I just hit the sweet spot a bit more often. I don't really notice the additional ball speed one way or the other; I can get plenty of loft with either set, but have had a few more good long iron swings with the Apex Pro. It could be the shafts though (S400 vs my MMC's DG120X). 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Gentleman, this is a topic near and dear to my heart.  I have both sets...apex pro blended (apex 21 4-7, apex 21 pro 8-A) with steel fiber shafts AND Apex TCB TCB Modus Pro 105.  

1. Agree, TCB great feel, soft, precise, accurate...when I got my shafts shortened 1/2 inch and added lead tape...money!

2. Apex and Pro blended: same! 1/2 inch shortened, but no lead tape...

Pro's a smidgen longer, maybe...

I got a new/old set of Taylor P790 TI for a song...long, straight, very forgiving...but, to use a car analogy...It's like driving a toyota next to an Audi...I really understand the draw of the Taylormade...they are easy to play and almost feel like cheating...but, imo, there's much less feel

Enjoy gentleman!

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, RatherBeGolfing15 said:

Has anyone done a combo of Apex MBs 7 or 8 to AW and TCBs 4-6 or 7?

wondering if it’s worth it or just go full TCBs

not quite! 
I have 5-PW in the MB and just the 4 iron in the TCB 

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix 

Do you find the TCB just gives you that added forgiveness in the 4? Do you ever wish you had it in 5-6 as well?

I have a fitting today and will hit both.

Part of me loves the idea of having the combo. But the other part of me doesn’t know why I would put myself through MBs on off days when the TCBs would be more forgiving and produce similar spin and control.

I am coming from Apex 21s and have been rapidly improving my game and ball striking. The person I take lessons with is really pushing the combo set and insists my ball striking can handle the demands of both clubs. In the back of my head I’m still the awful ball striker I was 2 years ago and don’t feel adequate to move to such demanding clubs, especially the MBs.

I have a combo set of MB '21 PW-7 and Apex Pro '21 4-6 and played a full set of TCBs last year- I find the TCB long irons to be as easy to play for me as the Apex Pro. I think the small size and sole on the TCBs actually makes them even easier to play that the Apex Pros, but mishits spin and lose more distance than the Pros. 

Edited by aswile
spelling error

Just got back from my fitting.

Hit 7 irons both with DG Ti x100

Loved the MB. Thought I would love the TCB and I liked it a lot but the MB just felt buttery and the flight was better.

Fitter suggested AW-8 in MB and 7-4 in TCB. He said I could go up to 6 in the MB and likely not see any change in scores. Even higher if I wanted but hard to know without hitting them.

I like cutting at the 8 so the set is 4 of each but I do think maybe more MBs would be nice.

something to think about

Callaway has gone in a strange direction with the Apex Pro irons, and kinda ruined them.

For a long time Apex Pro irons were in the “players cavity back” category and various iterations were used by a bunch of different Callaway staffers, along with the X Forged irons, and MB’s of course. Then Callaway decides to go away from the forged cb style build, and makes the Apex PRO  (not the regular Apex) a hollow body “players distance” iron. Of course they released the TCB irons which are in use all over the Tours by their staffers, but also still have the MB, oh and the X Forged, and all are firmly in the “need to be a better than decent ball striker” category. Callaway seems like they are trying to go in all directions simultaneously, and feels like they are searching for an identity.
Sorry for the rant and thread jack….OP - I would choose the TCB’s

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST MaxLS 9*w/Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

Callaway Epic Flash sz 15* /Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7s

Titleist Tsi2 hybrid 18* /GD Tour AD IZ 85x

Titleist T-100s 4-GW /PX Lz 6.0

Titleist SM9 54-12d, 60-10s /PX Lz 6.0

Bettinardi BBzero

24 minutes ago, KevCannon said:

Callaway has gone in a strange direction with the Apex Pro irons, and kinda ruined them.

For a long time Apex Pro irons were in the “players cavity back” category and various iterations were used by a bunch of different Callaway staffers, along with the X Forged irons, and MB’s of course. Then Callaway decides to go away from the forged cb style build, and makes the Apex PRO  (not the regular Apex) a hollow body “players distance” iron. Of course they released the TCB irons which are in use all over the Tours by their staffers, but also still have the MB, oh and the X Forged, and all are firmly in the “need to be a better than decent ball striker” category. Callaway seems like they are trying to go in all directions simultaneously, and feels like they are searching for an identity.
Sorry for the rant and thread jack….OP - I would choose the TCB’s

Will be interesting to see what the lineup looks like after the update. Pro’21s we’re discontinued.