LAB Golf Link Putter Arrived Today.

flubberlange

13 hours ago, LJWeaver92 said:

Lucky! Can’t wait to get mine. Only got 4 weeks to wait lol. How was the weight of the putter head? 

The head weight on mine feels good.  Feels like around 350g, although it is difficult for me to judge as I got the stock putter with the rubber grip.  The grip weighs 95g so it is fairly heavy which I’m sure is effecting the perceived weight.  The overall feel is fairly standard from a weight perspective though.  It feels really good and really stable but not overly heavy like some other putters that feel stable like the Mizuno Omoi or the tri hot 5k’s. 

Here is my review after using it for 4 or so rounds.

I was very excited when this putter was released.  I had been telling my playing partners that the only thing that would make me buy a new putter was if LAB put out a decent looking blade, and sure enough they did it.  

Looks:

This is a good looking putter.  For my eye it would be even better looking with less branding, but that is just nit picking.  It looks good in hand and looks good at address.  The finish may not be everyone’s cup of tea but I like it quite a bit.  It is big but not in an off way to my eye, but ymmv.  I was excited for my wife to try it as I feel like the tech could really help her, and she had a less positive reaction to the size, being used to a Scotty Newport.  Overall it is a good looking putter imo.

Grip and headcover: 

The head cover is nice.  One of the nicer looking and well thought out head covers I’ve see for a center shaft blade.  I got the stock model since I play a 69 degree lie, and the grip is fine.  I’m going with it for now as I would prefer not to have to balance it myself or pay $100 for them to do it with a different grip.  I like the size and feel of the grip, which I wasn’t sure I would, and so it may end up working out just fine.

Feel and performance:

LAB did exactly what I was hoping they would do with these putters.  The stainless steel feels so much better than the aluminum to me.  I liked the way my MEZZ performed, but did not really like anything else about it.  The MEZZ just did not feel good to me.  The LINK feels/sounds really good.  Softer than a putter with very light milling or a flat face but significantly firmer than most insert putters.  For me it is just about perfect.  The MOI/forgiveness seems really good.  Every so often I will have a toe side strike show up and the LINK has performed really well on these.  

Negatives:

There are really only two things that I thought were not perfect and they are relatively small.  The first is the way I’ve seen the putters size described.  Perhaps I’m remembering wrong but I really thought that it was described as being similar in size to other anser style putters.  This is definitely not the case and it is a good bit larger.  Works really well for me but others might feel differently.

The second thing is that I had the impression that you could change out the grips to any grip you wanted just like you would on any other putter.  That didn’t really make sense to me considering the precise balance that is claimed.  When I spoke with LAB customer support (who was fantastic) it turned out that was not really true.  I was told that if I put a different weight grip on it that it would change things but in a small way and I would still have “the best balanced putter I have had”.  As someone who believes in the technology I want it to be torque free, not close.  That’s what seperates LAB from a lot of other companies in my mind.  It did sound like if I were to put a lighter grip on and make up the difference with lead tape under the grip that I could balance it, but this was different than what was suggested.  LAB initially suggested lead tape on the putter head and balancing it by eye.  I know the putter I got was the stock offering, but I still feel like offering a few grip choices would be nice.  I also feel like 1/2 inch increments on length would be reasonable.  I know why they offer stock but they say they still have to build and balance to order and they are still almost a $500 putter.  I don’t mind weighing grips and adding lead tape because I am enjoy this stuff but most don’t feel that way.  And at $469 it seems like cutting in 1/2 inch increments and offering just a couple grips would not be a big deal.  That could be just me though.
 Really those gripes are small stuff though and I don’t want them to take away from conveying how much I like the putter.  The Mezz was the first putter that stayed in my bag for any length of time in a long while and the LINK is staying in my bag for the foreseeable future.  
Well done LAB GOLF!!!

Edited by jomatty
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jomatty said:

Here is my review after using it for 4 or so rounds.

I was very excited when this putter was released.  I had been telling my playing partners that the only thing that would make me buy a new putter was if LAB put out a decent looking blade, and sure enough they did it.  

Looks:

This is a good looking putter.  For my eye it would be even better looking with less branding, but that is just nit picking.  It looks good in hand and looks good at address.  The finish may not be everyone’s cup of tea but I like it quite a bit.  It is big but not in an off way to my eye, but ymmv.  I was excited for my wife to try it as I feel like the tech could really help her, and she had a less positive reaction to the size, being used to a Scotty Newport.  Overall it is a good looking putter imo.

Grip and headcover: 

The head cover is nice.  One of the nicer looking and well thought out head covers I’ve see for a center shaft blade.  I got the stock model since I play a 69 degree lie, and the grip is fine.  I’m going with it for now as I would prefer not to have to balance it myself or pay $100 for them to do it with a different grip.  I like the size and feel of the grip, which I wasn’t sure I would, and so it may end up working out just fine.

Feel and performance:

LAB did exactly what I was hoping they would do with these putters.  The stainless steel feels so much better than the aluminum to me.  I liked the way my MEZZ performed, but did not really like anything else about it.  The MEZZ just did not feel good to me.  The LINK feels/sounds really good.  Softer than a putter with very light milling or a flat face but significantly firmer than most insert putters.  For me it is just about perfect.  The MOI/forgiveness seems really good.  Every so often I will have a toe side strike show up and the LINK has performed really well on these.  

Negatives:

There are really only two things that I thought were not perfect and they are relatively small.  The first is the way I’ve seen the putters size described.  Perhaps I’m remembering wrong but I really thought that it was described as being similar in size to other anser style putters.  This is definitely not the case and it is a good bit larger.  Works really well for me but others might feel differently.

The second thing is that I had the impression that you could change out the grips to any grip you wanted just like you would on any other putter.  That didn’t really make sense to me considering the precise balance that is claimed.  When I spoke with LAB customer support (who was fantastic) it turned out that was not really true.  I was told that if I put a different weight grip on it that it would change things but in a small way and I would still have “the best balanced putter I have had”.  As someone who believes in the technology I want it to be torque free, not close.  That’s what seperates LAB from a lot of other companies in my mind.  It did sound like if I were to put a lighter grip on and make up the difference with lead tape under the grip that I could balance it, but this was different than what was suggested.  LAB initially suggested lead tape on the putter head and balancing it by eye.  I know the putter I got was the stock offering, but I still feel like offering a few grip choices would be nice.  I also feel like 1/2 inch increments on length would be reasonable.  I know why they offer stock but they say they still have to build and balance to order and they are still almost a $500 putter.  I don’t mind weighing grips and adding lead tape because I am enjoy this stuff but most don’t feel that way.  And at $469 it seems like cutting in 1/2 inch increments and offering just a couple grips would not be a big deal.  That could be just me though.
 Really those gripes are small stuff though and I don’t want them to take away from conveying how much I like the putter.  The Mezz was the first putter that stayed in my bag for any length of time in a long while and the LINK is staying in my bag for the foreseeable future.  
Well done LAB GOLF!!!

I know these putters are balanced but I'm not sure how sensitive you really need to be with things like a new shaft, grip, etc.  I know it will change some things but I had reached out to them about other lie angles for the "stock" putters besides just the 69* lie angle.  It didn't make sense that you had to pay over $100 more just to have a degree or two different lie angle when everything else was going to be the same.  I just wanted a 71* lie angle. This was the response I got back:

"Thanks for reaching out! The Link.1 has less versatility than our other putters. If you would look at the custom Link.1, you would see that the lie angle range is not as large as our other models as well. I understand that this could be very annoying for someone who would fit into our other stock models. Just so you know, you can easily adjust to a lie angle within 2° of your fitted angle without negatively affecting your game. If you're in the 67°-71° range, you should be okay with a 69° Link.1. "

When you go into the custom Link.1 page, you can pick between 65*-75* lie angle which is a pretty large range of lie angles to choose from so I'm not sure what they mean that it has less versatility.  Then they say I could easily adjust the putter 2* of lie and it wouldn't negatively affect anything.  I thought the lie angle was the key feature to the balance of the putter.  How can you bend it by 2* and everything still be OK if everything had to be balanced so perfectly?  If this is the case, changing to a different shaft or grip shouldn't make all that much difference either IMO.  

On 2/1/2023 at 12:20 PM, LJWeaver92 said:

I was going to ask about that next! I play a Newport 2 right now. How is the head weight compared to a normal blade style putter?

The normal is definitely lighter than a Scotty. While the Scotty Cameron putters vary in headweight, at least the one that I have feels heavier through the stroke than all of my LABs.

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 9deg  Ventus TR Blue 6 S

Callaway  Paradym 💎💎💎 3 wood Ventus TR Blue 7 S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 18 & 24 deg Ventus HB 8 S

Miura KM700 4-P Fujikura Axiom 105S

Miura Milled Tour Wedge 52 deg Fujikura Axiom 105S

Callaway JAWS Full Toe 58deg Fujikura Axiom 105S

32.5" LAB Golf DF3 w/BGT Stability One Black | Pistol 2.0 Grip

Custom Vessel Lux Cart Bag

3 hours ago, 03trdblack said:

I know these putters are balanced but I'm not sure how sensitive you really need to be with things like a new shaft, grip, etc.  I know it will change some things but I had reached out to them about other lie angles for the "stock" putters besides just the 69* lie angle.  It didn't make sense that you had to pay over $100 more just to have a degree or two different lie angle when everything else was going to be the same.  I just wanted a 71* lie angle. This was the response I got back:

"Thanks for reaching out! The Link.1 has less versatility than our other putters. If you would look at the custom Link.1, you would see that the lie angle range is not as large as our other models as well. I understand that this could be very annoying for someone who would fit into our other stock models. Just so you know, you can easily adjust to a lie angle within 2° of your fitted angle without negatively affecting your game. If you're in the 67°-71° range, you should be okay with a 69° Link.1. "

When you go into the custom Link.1 page, you can pick between 65*-75* lie angle which is a pretty large range of lie angles to choose from so I'm not sure what they mean that it has less versatility.  Then they say I could easily adjust the putter 2* of lie and it wouldn't negatively affect anything.  I thought the lie angle was the key feature to the balance of the putter.  How can you bend it by 2* and everything still be OK if everything had to be balanced so perfectly?  If this is the case, changing to a different shaft or grip shouldn't make all that much difference either IMO.  

Maybe so but if I’m going to buy into this tech I want it to be as close to perfect as possible.  That’s the big selling point of the putters as far as I can tell.  How much does it matter?  I can’t really say.  if being a little bit off doesn’t matter than how much would it matter to just use a regular putter?  

25 minutes ago, jomatty said:

Maybe so but if I’m going to buy into this tech I want it to be as close to perfect as possible.  That’s the big selling point of the putters as far as I can tell.  How much does it matter?  I can’t really say.  if being a little bit off doesn’t matter than how much would it matter to just use a regular putter?  

My point is, if LAB themselves is telling you that you can adjust the lie angle and it still works but then saying that the entire putter won't work if you change the shaft or grip, then they are essentially contradicting themselves.  Mental placebo is a huge part of the game of golf though so...

LAB is not saying you can change the lie angle of the putter.  They are stating that you can play (adjust to) the Link1 as long as it is within 2 degrees of your fitted lie angle.  Might be due to the rocker style sole on the Link1 while the DF has a flat sole and the lie angle needs to be more precise to sit flat.  If you are fit into a 67 degree lie angle, they think you could adjust to playing a putter from 65-71 degrees.  

key phrase is adjust to. (not adjust)

Just so you know, you can easily adjust to a lie angle within 2° of your fitted angle without negatively affecting your game. If you're in the 67°-71° range, you should be okay with a 69° Link.1. "

Edited by jeff1727
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, jeff1727 said:

LAB is not saying you can change the lie angle of the putter.  They are stating that you can play (adjust to) the Link1 as long as it is within 2 degrees of your fitted lie angle.  Might be due to the rocker style sole on the Link1 while the DF has a flat sole and the lie angle needs to be more precise to sit flat.  If you are fit into a 67 degree lie angle, they think you could adjust to playing a putter from 65-71 degrees.  

key phrase is adjust to. (not adjust)

Just so you know, you can easily adjust to a lie angle within 2° of your fitted angle without negatively affecting your game. If you're in the 67°-71° range, you should be okay with a 69° Link.1. "

So people praying they fit into 67-71° of lie and 33-35" of length. For me it's the rubber grip I'm most worried about if that was me honestly. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

1 hour ago, MattM97 said:

So people praying they fit into 67-71° of lie and 33-35" of length. For me it's the rubber grip I'm most worried about if that was me honestly. 

Only have to pray if you buy the stock version.  If you fork out the extra cash ($90) to build a custom you can choose from lengths 29” to 38”,  lie 65 to 75.  Looks like you can pay more for upgraded shafts and grips as well. 

I was considering ordering a DF 2.1 to experience L.A.B.’s most stable putter but I know it will not kick my MackMade out of the bag.  I love to tinker with different technologies but always go back to Anser style putters in the end. 

Edited by jeff1727

2 minutes ago, jeff1727 said:

Only have to pray if you buy the stock version.  If you fork out the extra cash ($90) to build a custom you can choose from lengths 29” to 38”,  lie 65 to 75.  Looks like you can pay more for upgraded shafts.  

I was considering ordering a DF 2.1 to experience L.A.B.’s most stable putter but I know it will not kick my MackMade out of the bag.  I love to tinker with different technologies but always go back to Anser style putters in the end. 

Their fittings are free and I know my lie on my putters from previous fittings but I'd want to see what I fit into from them. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

My view on LAB custom vs. stock is a simple one to justify the cost of custom. The cost difference is equal to 1 or 2 rounds of golf! A putter accounts for 40% to 50% of your strokes in a round, why not get the best that you can get. If you could pay to never 3 putt, what would you pay? You probably have spent over $3,000+ for your bag and clubs and you are trying to decide if you should spend an extra couple hundred dollars on the perfect putter fitted to you with exactly what you want? You probably spent more on a nice dinner in the last 30 days and didn't think anything about the cost. I could go on and on but hopefully my rant made my point.

8 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Their fittings are free and I know my lie on my putters from previous fittings but I'd want to see what I fit into from them. 

Agree 100%.  I might do the free fitting to see if I fit into the DF 2.1 stock version.  If the stock version isn’t a great fit, I would have no issues paying more for a custom.  Just don’t know if I want to spend the cash to cure my curiosity. 

Edited by jeff1727

12 minutes ago, PDFPXG said:

My view on LAB custom vs. stock is a simple one to justify the cost of custom. The cost difference is equal to 1 or 2 rounds of golf! A putter accounts for 40% to 50% of your strokes in a round, why not get the best that you can get. If you could pay to never 3 putt, what would you pay? You probably have spent over $3,000+ for your bag and clubs and you are trying to decide if you should spend an extra couple hundred dollars on the perfect putter fitted to you with exactly what you want? You probably spent more on a nice dinner in the last 30 days and didn't think anything about the cost. I could go on and on but hopefully my rant made my point.

I'm no stranger dropping money on putters but when something is going to be a possible experiment most people don't want to spend a ton. Now I know the LAB stuff is good I've had a B2 before but this is still something different for me and others, honestly I probably will just do a custom at some point as I'm picky with grips and I'd rather not have a simple Pure grip which I don't like. 

12 minutes ago, jeff1727 said:

Agree 100%.  I might do the free fitting to see if I fit into the DF 2.1 stock version.  If the stock version isn’t a great fit, I would have no issues paying more for a custom.  Just don’t know if I want to spend the cash to cure my curiosity. 

See above but yeah feel the same cause if I don't like the grip that extra money for a rebalance, shipping, etc is just the custom cost right there. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

8 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

I'm no stranger dropping money on putters but when something is going to be a possible experiment most people don't want to spend a ton. Now I know the LAB stuff is good I've had a B2 before but this is still something different for me and others, honestly I probably will just do a custom at some point as I'm picky with grips and I'd rather not have a simple Pure grip which I don't like. 

See above but yeah feel the same cause if I don't like the grip that extra money for a rebalance, shipping, etc is just the custom cost right there. 

you could always buy stock and get the grip you want separate and put it on yourself. No idea if that would affect the balance

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

22 minutes ago, PDFPXG said:

Sorry, it does not and should not cost $100 just to get a different lie angle on a putter, especially if it has a neck with screws that can be popped on or off. 

Can you imagine having a conversation at a golf store about a putter where you want to buy one but need it to be adjusted 1-2* more upright.

"Hey, can you bend this putter a degree for me?" 

"Sure no problem, just go up to the register and ask them to ring you up for the $100 adjustment fee..." 

15 minutes ago, 03trdblack said:

Sorry, it does not and should not cost $100 just to get a different lie angle on a putter, especially if it has a neck with screws that can be popped on or off. 

Can you imagine having a conversation at a golf store about a putter where you want to buy one but need it to be adjusted 1-2* more upright.

"Hey, can you bend this putter a degree for me?" 

"Sure no problem, just go up to the register and ask them to ring you up for the $100 adjustment fee..." 

its because of the labor to balance these each time. It sucks but it is also why @labgolf says as long as you are within a couple degrees either way you will adjust

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

On 2/2/2023 at 5:12 PM, Rbsiedsc said:

you could always buy stock and get the grip you want separate and put it on yourself. No idea if that would affect the balance

It will.  Whatever grip you put on will likely weigh less than the 95g rubber grip.  You can make up the difference with lead tape under the grip from what they told me.

On 2/2/2023 at 4:48 PM, PDFPXG said:

You could justify a lot of things using that logic.  There are lots of reasons to not “get the best you can get”.  By that logic every Scotty Cameron user should get a Circle T.  A few thousand isn’t really that much in the scheme of things.  In a lifetime of golf it isn’t very much at all…

I have to look at value when I buy things.  Especially since My perfect lie angle is 69. So while I do get your point, I just think it is a personal decision that is not cut and dry.  Whether you should have the option to choose length and a few grip options on a putter in this price range is again an opinion.  Personally, I would like to see it.  While many brands don’t offer grip options it is very easy to switch the grip on their putters.  On a Lab it is more complicated.  Anyways, just differences of opinion and there is nothing wrong with that.

A few weeks in using the Link and I must say it is living up to my already high expectations.  Really pleased with this putter and putting as well as I have in a very long time.  
It feels great, which was my big complaint with the Mezz.  It really puts a great and consistent roll on the ball which makes distance control very easy.  Very stable on the shorter putts.

Well done LAB!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tiger_Stud said:

Quick question for those who gamed other LAB putters before ordering the Link. Did you go for the same lie angle? Just asking because the lie angle range of the MEZZ goes form 63 to 79,5 whereas the Link lie angles are 65 to 75.

All my standard length LAB putters have the same specs.

12 hours ago, LODGE1519 said:

What are people's thoughts of not having a press grip and the built in forward press?  I have really liked that about the Mezz so wondering people's thoughts that switched from the Mezz to the Link.

I just ordered my Link with press grip. A few of the guys have the press on the Link, it really depends if you put with forward press and the loft on impact of your putting stroke

On 2/16/2023 at 3:59 PM, LODGE1519 said:

What are people's thoughts of not having a press grip and the built in forward press?  I have really liked that about the Mezz so wondering people's thoughts that switched from the Mezz to the Link.

I think that the challenge with a press grip on the Link is that the shaft insertion point in the head is quite close to the face relative to the Mezz or the DF (These are the three that I have). I feel like with the Link it would result in a slightly unnatural feeling through the ball to have a press grip, as you'd be managing the stroke to avoid a negative loft on impact, which would complicate it for me.

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 9deg  Ventus TR Blue 6 S

Callaway  Paradym 💎💎💎 3 wood Ventus TR Blue 7 S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 18 & 24 deg Ventus HB 8 S

Miura KM700 4-P Fujikura Axiom 105S

Miura Milled Tour Wedge 52 deg Fujikura Axiom 105S

Callaway JAWS Full Toe 58deg Fujikura Axiom 105S

32.5" LAB Golf DF3 w/BGT Stability One Black | Pistol 2.0 Grip

Custom Vessel Lux Cart Bag