2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

LAB Golf Link Putter Arrived Today.

flubberlange

I decided to see what all the hype was about with the Link. I went through the virtual fitting process and it was recommended that I purchase the Link playing at 35" with a lie angle of 70*. It took roughly 4 weeks from order to arrival. I've had a chance to play two 9 hole rounds with the putter in the bag, and let me tell you that I am thoroughly impressed. I thought it would take a while to get used to the unique look, but honestly it didn't seem much different than my Notchback 2 that I have been gaming. The absolute insane thing about this putter is that you cannot start a ball offline unless you mishit it egregiously. Once I get the speed control down, this will be an absolute weapon. Very happy with the purchase. The only negative is that I cannot use any of my aftermarket headcovers since the unique hosel/shaft. Luckily the stock headcover is premium and still looks great in the bag with minimal branding. Cheers!

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10˚ Ventus Blue Velocore+ 

Taylormade Qi10 3W 15˚ KBS TD 

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 5W 18˚ KBS TD 

Ping G425 22˚H - KBS Tour Prototype

PXG 0317T 5-GW KBS Tour

Vokey SM9 54˚-10S and 58˚-08M KBS Tour

Spider Tour CB 38" or Lajosi Lawson Longneck Proto

Maxfli Tour X

On 2/2/2023 at 6:35 AM, jomatty said:

The Mezz was the first putter that stayed in my bag for any length of time in a long while and the LINK is staying in my bag for the foreseeable future.  
Well done LAB GOLF!!!

@jomatty

Thanks for the detailed write up!

Are you still enjoying the Link?

Would you say that stroking the Link feels as smooth/effortless/automatic as the Mezz? How about ease of alignment?

I demo’d the Mezz and loved the performance, but I’m not a big fan of the looks and the forward press shaft. The Link sounds like it could be the best of both worlds for me, but I can’t find one anywhere for demoing.

I’m just trying to gather as much detail as I can. Any additional info on your experiences would be greatly appreciated!

6 hours ago, domdomdom said:

@jomatty

Thanks for the detailed write up!

Are you still enjoying the Link?

Would you say that stroking the Link feels as smooth/effortless/automatic as the Mezz? How about ease of alignment?

I demo’d the Mezz and loved the performance, but I’m not a big fan of the looks and the forward press shaft. The Link sounds like it could be the best of both worlds for me, but I can’t find one anywhere for demoing.

I’m just trying to gather as much detail as I can. Any additional info on your experiences would be greatly appreciated!

The link is still in the bag and it has continued to perform.  I find it much easier to align than the Mezz, but that is likely a personal thing as blade style putters are always easier for me to align.  Personally I like it better in every way compared to the Mezz, but again that is likely mostly preference.  I will say that it feels/sounds much better than the Mezz.  The Mezz just didn’t have the same solid feel you get from a stainless steel putter.  At least imho.  I didn’t mind the press grip, but definitely prefer the grip that came on the link, and really prefer the lamkin deep etched cord I have on it now. All in all a  Really solid putter

• Like 1

I started with the Mezz1.  Loved the technology and could feel it working, but always struggled with aiming with it.  I think the larger grip and shaft lean messed me up. It also came in which I now realize is a little light at D8.  I added some lead tape around the shaft just above the head and it was better but only at E7 now and I’m sure it messed the lie angle balancing a little bit.  Fast forward to now and I have the Mezz Max, DF and Link as well.  DF and Mezz Max came in at F2 swingweight which was a lot better than the mezz1.  Max and DF are both way more stable than Mezz1.  But from a comfort level with the no shaft lean and small grip the link is just awesome! The swingweight is E0 but it somehow feels heavier and swings beautifully and I have the best distance control of all the Labs I own. Easy to aim and feels very balanced and solid.  By the way they all have the accra shaft.  Over the last few months I have spent many hours on the putting green with the max, df and link and I always come back to the link as my favorite.  The smaller headed mezz1 will probably never get used in a round of golf I play. Funny how the putter I started with is now benched. 😀

If you have any questions I would be happy to answer and help if I can.

• Like 2

@Playin36

Thank you for the detailed write up!

I understand what you mean about aiming the Mezz. To me, it felt like I was always aimed to the right of the hole (I’m left handed so maybe you felt like you were aimed to the left). 

My biggest questions are:

1. Does the Link.1 feel as balanced throughout the stroke as the Mezz.1? In other words: Does it feel LAB? Or does it just feel like a Seemore center shaft putter?

2. I understand the Mezz.1 will be more forgiving of mishits accross the face. In comparison to the Mezz, how forgiving do you find the Link.1 to be?

thanks for your time, I appreciate it!

I too am struggling with the Mezz max and alignment. It is getting better though, but still the link is in the back of my mind. 

Outside of my learning through aiming, the putter is legit as it gets. Long putts that I would be happy with lagging to 3-4 feet are burning the edges and leaving tap Ins. That’s if I don’t drain them first. 

You are correct, I was always missing left (right handed player). The strange thing is when I got the mezz max about a month ago I never had any left misses. On to your questions.

1. I can definitely feel the balance with the link. Yes it feels more balanced than my mezz. The mezz max has a little more balance than the link and the df has a little more than the max.  But I do struggle a little with distance with any putter that has a press grip on it. Just don’t like a big grip. So when I play a round that’s the one in the bag. 

2. Forgiveness for me is not really an issue or anything I noticed that would sway my decision.  That probably depends on how good of a putter you are and how often and how far you miss the center of the putter face. 
Do you need more forgiveness or do you care more about the look?  Probably only you can decide that personal decision.  Ironically I was on the putting green last night putting with my link, max and df.  A friend of mine showed up and wanted to try these putters I’ve been telling him about.  Try the link first really liked it. Tried the max second not much difference. Picked up the DF and started making everything and now he’s looking to buy one.  The df is big and ugly but when you swing one it’s like the thing is on rails.

• Like 1

For those of you that moved from a DF 2.1 to a LINK.1, what did you notice? I am dying to get the LINK.1 but I would be uncomfortable having TWO LAB putters so I would be selling my DF 2.1. My hypothesis is that I will give up the MOI and "forgiveness" of the DF 2.1 and also have to adjust back to not having the built-in forward press. 

Full disclosure - My issue with the DF 2.1 is not performance, it is that the thing is MASSIVE and takes up soooo much space in my golf bag. Also, I *prefer* looking down at a blade as the huge mallet is a bit off putting. But results are results. 

• Like 1

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

On 6/24/2023 at 10:21 AM, xandersingh said:

Ive been on a spree of trying different grips with my Link. Anyone try any non stock grips with theirs?

I am going to try a new Garsen TPE Quad Tour non taper. Had to find one that is around 90ish grams so as not to throw the lie angle balancing off.

Ping G400 Max 9 degree - Kuro Kage Dual Core TiNi 60X
Ping G400 3 wood - UST Mamiya VTS Silver SX
TaylorMade UDI 3 iron - GD AD DI 95X
Titleist 718 AP2 4-PW - Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52, 56, 60 - DG
Evnroll ER2

3 hours ago, soap1984 said:

Anyone who ordered custom, were you able to specify heavier weight? I bought a mezz and it felt way too light. I was rolling a link and really liked it, but it just feels too light for me. I'd order in a heartbeat if I could get a bit heavier head. 

yes, there's a specific option for the Mezz and MezzMax on their website.  They will also increase the weight on the Link.1, but it's not an option since they are limited to only 8-10 grams given design so you'll need to send a note to customer service.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/7/2023 at 5:30 PM, soap1984 said:

Anyone who ordered custom, were you able to specify heavier weight? I bought a mezz and it felt way too light. I was rolling a link and really liked it, but it just feels too light for me. I'd order in a heartbeat if I could get a bit heavier head. 

They told me they can't build to a specific weight.  Since they won't give out head weights and people want to know, my link head weight is 402.6 grams.

On 7/5/2023 at 9:07 AM, vandyfan said:

For those of you that moved from a DF 2.1 to a LINK.1, what did you notice? I am dying to get the LINK.1 but I would be uncomfortable having TWO LAB putters so I would be selling my DF 2.1. My hypothesis is that I will give up the MOI and "forgiveness" of the DF 2.1 and also have to adjust back to not having the built-in forward press. 

Full disclosure - My issue with the DF 2.1 is not performance, it is that the thing is MASSIVE and takes up soooo much space in my golf bag. Also, I *prefer* looking down at a blade as the huge mallet is a bit off putting. But results are results. 

Don't sell DF, take it from someone who's has 2 LAB putters

I keep going back to my OG DF because it is so utilitarian. Yeah, it is a massive head but if you can live with shape & size to roll the putts, it's well worth it

Another thought- go Delilah & customize the headcover, making it more personal

My 2c as long time OG Bill Presse IV design putter 👍

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

11 hours ago, EddieEdwards said:

They told me they can't build to a specific weight.  Since they won't give out head weights and people want to know, my link head weight is 402.6 grams.

What length did you order?  That was just a standard build?

Ping G430 LST 10.5* - Ventus Blue VeloCore+ 6X

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 13.5* - Tour AD TSG Silver 65X

Ping G430 Max 19.5* - Tour AD TSG Silver 75X

Ping G425 Max 23.5* - Attas T2 8X

Taylormade 790Ti 6 - Dart V 105X

Srixon ZX7 6-9 - X100

Titleist SM9 46F & 50F - X100

Titleist SM9 55S & 60T - X7 "Spinners"

L.A.B. Link.1 - TPT - XL Tour 2.0 

Srixon Z-Star 💎

On 6/15/2023 at 2:48 PM, MattM97 said:

Was at a local golf shop grabbing some balls, walked to the putter section cause I'm an addict and saw this long handled putter, got closer and see they are carrying some LAB putters now. The Link was there and in LH so you know I rolled it for 15min instead of going back to work lol. 

Looking to demo a LH, do you mind sharing which shop were you at? 

4 hours ago, ehmora said:

It was either Etobicoke or Weston and 7 Golf Town.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

On 7/5/2023 at 9:07 AM, vandyfan said:

Don't do it man, especially if you putt well with the DF 2.1. I kept trying to make the Mezz/Mezz Max/Link.1 work even though I absolutely adore the DF 2.1 just because it's so huge and there are no headcovers for it. They're all good putters, truly, but each and every time I end up selling the other putter and going back to the DF 2.1. It just is an easier/better putter to use, so it's hard to downgrade that unless you're already an exceptional putter. I just ordered a custom cover from Delilah and will stop messing around. It's a waste of money (for me), and I will take the best performance every time.

Edited by chocolate_rehab

Titleist TSR4 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

On 8/7/2023 at 3:20 AM, ehmora said:

I haven't been there in a month or so, but there was at the one on keele near 427 and QEW (I think that is Etobicoke). 

I have been using my link and have been really liking it; I prefer it way more than the mezz, which I found oddly shaped and way too light. 

12 hours ago, soap1984 said:

I haven't been there in a month or so, but there was at the one on keele near 427 and QEW (I think that is Etobicoke). 

I have been using my link and have been really liking it; I prefer it way more than the mezz, which I found oddly shaped and way too light. 

Appreciate it! Golftown only has Mezz Max armlock and broom on their web site so they must've moved through their Link stock.

I am really enjoying the Link, and I am typically a jittery putter in the 3-6 foot range.  I feel very confident with this putter in my hands. I thought about trying the Mezz (there was one on BST here but I couldn’t message the guy due to the limit of 1 msg per day)

Maybe that’s a good thing - sounds like the Link may be the way to go. I have been on a journey of putter buying and selling, from a variety of Scotty, Spider, Odyssey Tri Hot, superstroke 5.0 down to thin pistol grips. Glad that I may have found something that works finally.