2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2023

pseudoswede

58 minutes ago, Dancin said:

Google must scan the filings as they already have an entry for Bella Ridge golf course on that corner on their maps. That land is really flat. Art has a lot of work ahead of him to make that interesting.

Looking more closely at those plans there are a lot of cool looking holes. 2, 4, 11, 17. 14 looks wildest. Seems kind of crazy to have that much extra fairway to maintain and I doubt it actually gets built, but he's got two fairways on 14 with completely different angles into the green. if he builds it I hope it works better than the extra fairway on 1 at Highland Meadows which pretty much doesn't get used at all and last time I was there they weren't even cutting it to fairway height anymore.

I agree.  I was looking over the plans and talking with the planner on it awhile back. 

He plays also and said he loves the fact of the layout has a lot more holes without homes so it is not like your normal golf course development.  He is pumped to be working on it.  😀

*Last week they asked us for a proposal for a project..............sadly NOT this one though =( 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CDM said:

https://coloradoavidgolfer.com/from-dairy-to-drives/

I love the idea of having 3 and 6 hole round options too! Sounds like a very cool idea to route it that way. 

• Like 2

Pretty crazy weather down here on the south side; however, the clouds parted and we were treated to an amazing late afternoon for golfing.

Final round (no, really, I'm serious this time) before leaving for Sweden, and I shot a decent 39 at South Suburban. Except for a slight pull on 2, my driver was on point, and my wedge play is finally coming back to form. I'm still struggling with my mid-iron approaches, but I won't be able to fix that until I get back in July.

• Like 2

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

8 hours ago, pseudoswede said:

Pretty crazy weather down here on the south side; however, the clouds parted and we were treated to an amazing late afternoon for golfing.

Final round (no, really, I'm serious this time) before leaving for Sweden, and I shot a decent 39 at South Suburban. Except for a slight pull on 2, my driver was on point, and my wedge play is finally coming back to form. I'm still struggling with my mid-iron approaches, but I won't be able to fix that until I get back in July.

Glad you got your round in.  The weather on Thursday was pretty nuts - I work a few miles from South Suburban and we had a river of small hail flowing down the roads.  Of course, being Colorado.  20 minutes later and it was gone.

Safe travels and we'll catch up when you get back!

-- P.J.

• Like 1

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
Srixon ZX 3W and Cobra RadSpeed Hybrid

:taylormade-small:P790 Irons
Cleveland CBX-2 Wedges
EVNROLL ER7 Putter
OnCore ELIXR / Srixon Q-Star Divide Golf Ball
Cart-Tek 1500li Remote Cart

PrecisionPro NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder

SkyTrak Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado // Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy

2 hours ago, Dancin said:

Yay. Tomorrow I get to ride the tour bus past two golf courses in Nagano, one of which looks pretty interesting, on the way to some wasabi farm tour. "Oh I didn't know they had two golf courses near the hotel..." At least I know I am playing a good course on Wed.

what course?

Long shot but anyone have a connect up at Catamount? Trying to play sometime in the next couple months. Me and two other guys. I’m former PGA if that matters 😆

Driver - Callaway AI Smoke TD Max | 10.5° | Tour AD DI 6x  

5w - Callaway Paradym TD | 18° | Tour AD DI 7x 

Hybrid - Titleist TSi2 | 21° | Tour AD DI 95x

Irons - Callaway X Forged (2024) | 4-PW | N.S. Pro Modus120x 

Wedges - Cleveland RTX Zipcore | 50° 54° 58° | DG S400 

Putter - 2023 Bettinardi Studio B Reserve QB6 

Bag - Vessel Player IV Pro (Gray) 

Ball - Z Star XV 

On 6/2/2023 at 12:56 PM, Joelness said:

Welp, my cap definitely isn't going up any time soon. It seems I found my form this May. Anyone want a member-guest partner? lol

image.png.22a0b9b3e9505689b9002b8afb950fdf.png

You’ve got me by 0.2 right now 👀 coming for ya but we’ll see. Won’t be playing much the next few weeks getting ready for a move. 

• Like 1

Ball - Z Star XV 

6 hours ago, Joelness said:

What a terrible, terrible weekend to play golf. At least I got about 9 sunny holes in Saturday. Anyone else brave the wet madness?

We played yesterday in Greeley. A couple showers, one of them fairly heavy, but other than that it was pretty decent. The umbrella holder on the pushcart makes a huge difference. Of course when that heaviest one hit my cart, umbrella, and rain jacket were 100 yards away (parallel holes, leave the cart by the fairway and walk back to the tee). 

But I know their tournament did get rained out Saturday 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Joelness said:

What a terrible, terrible weekend to play golf. At least I got about 9 sunny holes in Saturday. Anyone else brave the wet madness?

We had our member/member at Valley this weekend.  Saturday was a long, wet slog.  Started by trying to keep things dry, but with about 6 holes left all 5 towels were soaked and we just accepted it.  Sunday ended up getting cancelled.  Our lower 9 is loving the water, but with as much as we've gotten its been really susceptible to flooding.  Was bummed we had to miss the 2nd day.

11 hours ago, Joelness said:

I had the family out of town. Played 54 and it was gross.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

4 hours ago, deadsolid...shank said:

We played yesterday in Greeley. A couple showers, one of them fairly heavy, but other than that it was pretty decent. The umbrella holder on the pushcart makes a huge difference. Of course when that heaviest one hit my cart, umbrella, and rain jacket were 100 yards away (parallel holes, leave the cart by the fairway and walk back to the tee). 

But I know their tournament did get rained out Saturday 

It rained so hard on Saturday that we had a 1.5 hour rain delay at the Collindale Invite due to standing water on the greens. I played terrible and shot 77, which was good enough for $11.45 since they cancelled Sunday's round completely.

Anyone need a pitch fix on me?!

Edited by Joelness
  • Haha 1

FRGC played Red Hawk Ridge yesterday--at least I think they did. Nothing on RHR's Facebook page indicating they were closed. Glad I said no.

Everyone in couples league got a nastygram from the assistant pro (who organizes it). A lot of couples bailed at the last minute "because of the weather"--except it was actually very nice on Saturday afternoon (confirmed by sevendewey) when they were supposed to play. You're supposed to cancel by Thursday if you can't/don't want to play, which is a pretty fair deadline. Obviously with so many tee times suddenly available, it means fewer people on the course and lower revenue. I just wish people were more respectful to the course because they certainly don't need to have a couples league.

I had my CG men's club match play Saturday afternoon. Front 9 had a little drizzle but wasn't awful, and back 9 was great - the sun even came out for a few holes!  

I was 2 down after 14, won the next 2 to square it up, we both barely missed birdie putts on 18 to win. I ended up hitting a great sand shot to about 5 feet on the first playoff hole and missed the putt that would have won it. I'm still not over it...it was such an easy putt and I think nerves/adrenaline just got me and I pulled it left and too hard. We then both hit the green on 2 and I left my first putt woefully short, I think the putt from 1 was still rattling me.  He made a par and I missed my long par putt to keep it going. Oh well.  Was a great battle, we took turns winning holes from 10-15 so it was constant back and forth - one down, two down, one down, two down.  Man that gets draining too. 

Oh well, it was fun and I always appreciate a good match.  We both shot an 80 too so it was very even. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ASak10 said:

Oh well, it was fun and I always appreciate a good match.  We both shot an 80 too so it was very even. 

Except he was a 20-capper, right? 🤣

I'm trying to think how I approach match play, and I think it's simply to play my own game and don't get too caught up if I lose a hole because of a stupid mistake or if my opponent shanks his tee shot OB. I just remembered my best match play: in a junior tournament (I think I was 16 or 17), I was 4-down with five to play, and I won 1-up. My opponent was in tears in the clubhouse.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pseudoswede said:

I'm trying to think how I approach match play, and I think it's simply to play my own game and don't get too caught up if I lose a hole because of a stupid mistake or if my opponent shanks his tee shot OB. I just remembered my best match play: in a junior tournament (I think I was 16 or 17), I was 4-down with five to play, and I won 1-up. My opponent was in tears in the clubhouse.

Ha, no!  I actually had the lower cap, but the way CG does their match play is to group it by handicap ranges and then no strokes are given, just play straight up.  He said it was the best he's scored out there and I could definitely see that...he played great, nothing worse than a bogey I think and only had one really bad tee shot that he was able to recover from.  I was more up and down, had a double but two birdies as well. 

I agree with your philosophy, I just try to do what I would normally do and let the chips fall where they may.  Maybe that's not the best strategy but if I try to start changing things in response I feel like it'll just end up poorly.  

Ouch, I can see why your opponent was so shaken! Heck of a comeback to win.  

I think the worst part for me was that I piped my drive on 1 down the middle, only had maybe 150ish in.  Pin was to the right and I got a little aggressive with my 9i line and pushed it to the right into a short sided bunker.  Slight down hill lie. I hit one of the best sand shots I've ever hit to get it to 5 feet.  Opponent ended up 3 putting and I don't blame him, his approach probably was about 85 feet away on the green.  So I had it...and just blew it.  Oh well, lesson learned, try to calm the nerves next time before putting! 

19 hours ago, Joelness said:

I was out there for Collindale Invite. Played 7 holes before the delay. Doubled 18 for an 80. I was so pissed at myself. My buddy from Durango flew in for the tournament, so the weather was extra disappointing. 

He and I snuck out to Rain Dance on Sunday when the tourney got cancelled and found a one hour window between absolute deluges. Walking only. First time I walked it and I loved it. We were literally the only two on the entire course. Started pouring again on 7 so we just walked in. It was a memorable experience. 

It was the first time I’ve played two days in a row in a long time and I felt like I was able to figure a lot of things out and started hitting the ball well and putting well on Sunday. Man I wish I could just play every day, or at least much more often. You can really start to build some feel and focus. 

• Like 1

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

17 hours ago, pseudoswede said:

I'm definitely no match play aficionado but I think a combination of your own game and reacting to what the other player is doing is appropriate. I think playing your own game is the way to go until you see your competitor do something really good or really bad. Speaking of, CGA Match play starts Sunday at CG. Anyone have any great words of wisdom they want to share either here or with me during the competition?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

I was out there for Collindale Invite. Played 7 holes before the delay. Doubled 18 for an 80. I was so pissed at myself. My buddy from Durango flew in for the tournament, so the weather was extra disappointing. 

He and I snuck out to Rain Dance on Sunday when the tourney got cancelled and found a one hour window between absolute deluges. Walking only. First time I walked it and I loved it. We were literally the only two on the entire course. Started pouring again on 7 so we just walked in. It was a memorable experience. 

It was the first time I’ve played two days in a row in a long time and I felt like I was able to figure a lot of things out and started hitting the ball well and putting well on Sunday. Man I wish I could just play every day, or at least much more often. You can really start to build some feel and focus. 

Yeah, I saw the email from Courtney when I woke up on Sunday and decided not to do s*** all day, lol. I saw two people walking Fox but that was it. We hung out and watched F1/Nugs and got some chill time in.

What you mention about playing every day is so incredibly true that it's almost hard to explain. In my pursuit of competitive golf I never quit my job and just tried to do both full time. However, I got laid off in 2020 and decided to spend four months just playing every day until it got cold. The amount of skill I gained in those four months was insane and made me think... "what if I did actually give it a shot for a year or two?" I've seen so many great players that are younger than me that my sanity still won out and I haven't quit my day job.

The best news? Those skills haven't gone away. As much as we lose our game when not playing, the overall hard work does build up. After all the work this off-season and May I'm actually a little better than I was then which is amazing. I thought it would go away. It will be interesting once I hit the age where it does actually start going away and how I deal with that.....

Holy s***! Did you guys see that the PGA Tour is merging with LIV?!?!?!

This means that going to LIV might end up being the best move possible for the guys that made the swap. They got all the money, got to spend more time with family for a couple years and will now jump right back into the PGA Tour!

Edited by Joelness
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Joelness said:

Yeah, I saw the email from Courtney when I woke up on Sunday and decided not to do s*** all day, lol. I saw two people walking Fox but that was it. We hung out and watched F1/Nugs and got some chill time in.

What you mention about playing every day is so incredibly true that it's almost hard to explain. In my pursuit of competitive golf I never quit my job and just tried to do both full time. However, I got laid off in 2020 and decided to spend four months just playing every day until it got cold. The amount of skill I gained in those four months was insane and made me think... "what if I did actually give it a shot for a year or two?" I've seen so many great players that are younger than me that my sanity still won out and I haven't quit my day job.

The best news? Those skills haven't gone away. As much as we lose our game when not playing, the overall hard work does build up. After all the work this off-season and May I'm actually a little better than I was then which is amazing. I thought it would go away. It will be interesting once I hit the age where it does actually start going away and how I deal with that.....

So was the Invitational cut to one day?

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

10 minutes ago, Joelness said:

This means that going to LIV might end up being the best move possible for the guys that made the swap. They got all the money, got to spend more time with family for a couple years and will now jump right back into the PGA Tour!

I'm reserving judgment/thoughts until I see what the actual details of the deal are.  I'm not sure that they can just jump right back into the Tour...they have their contractual obligations with LIV and who knows what the process will be like.  I'm also not sure about the whole spend more time with family part - I look at someone like Reed who was jumping around various Asian tours to try to get more ranking points.  I'm pretty sure he played more and travelled to more random places than if he had just stayed on tour.  

To be honest I just hope this will shut everyone up about the whole thing.  I'm so sick of hearing about LIV and the divide and everything related to it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Joelness said:

I'm definitely no match play aficionado but I think a combination of your own game and reacting to what the other player is doing is appropriate. I think playing your own game is the way to go until you see your competitor do something really good or really bad. Speaking of, CGA Match play starts Sunday at CG. Anyone have any great words of wisdom they want to share either here or with me during the competition?

That makes a lot of sense. I think 18 at CG is a good example, an easier par 5 to reach in 2.  I think if your opponent gets out of position off the tee or with their second, it may make more sense to lay up than going for the green in 2 or vice-versa.  Decisions like that I think change more with match play than stroke.  

Good luck at CG.  I'd say the match doesn't really start until you reach the 15th hole out there! 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Joelness said:

What I mean by not getting caught up in your opponent's mistake is that if he hooks his tee shot OB, then you may start thinking to yourself, "Okay, he's laying three. I can play conservatively off the tee." You may try to swing slower, or take a lesser club, or aim a little further away from the lake than you usually do, and that's when you are also more likely to make mistakes and put yourself in an even worse position than had you played your regular game.

36 minutes ago, Joelness said:

I'm looking forward to reading about the holier-than-thou WRXers who will stop watching golf altogether. I kid. I won't read any thread about it on here. I just don't care.

The only reason why I knew about Michael Block was because my in-laws wanted to have the PGA Championship on, so I did watch a bit of it. I also watched about 90 seconds of The Memorial and the LPGA tournaments on Saturday because I had to get my parent's Roku (with my YouTube TV login) setup again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ASak10 said:

Good luck at CG.  I'd say the match doesn't really start until you reach the 15th hole out there! 

Unless you're 4-down! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Joelness said:

Let me know if you want a caddy 👀

• Like 3

Ball - Z Star XV