2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Vice Pro: the pros and cons

me05501

23 minutes ago, Augie53 said:

Really?  I wished I wouldn't have read this (while staring at a stack of Vice Pro double dozens purchased at Sam's Club).

I wouldn't worry about it at all. I've played Vice since basically they came to market. I've never had any issues with any of them, though I do think the current version of the Pro is the best to date. If you got a good deal on them, play them without worry. They'll serve you well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IndyArcher said:

I wouldn't worry about it at all. I've played Vice since basically they came to market. I've never had any issues with any of them, though I do think the current version of the Pro is the best to date. If you got a good deal on them, play them without worry. They'll serve you well. 

Did anyone post the difference visually (package? line markers?) between the new or old balls? How would we know?

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Just now, SwingBlues said:

Did anyone post the difference visually (package? line markers?) between the new or old balls? How would we know?

I don't recall what the packaging looked like in 2016, and I've never seen the 2 pack to know if they use specific packaging for that. Personally, I can't imagine that they are still trying to sell through balls that are that old. Can you post a pic? Their packaging has changed over the years. We should at least be able to confirm if it is current packaging or not. Is there a copyright/trademark date on the packaging anywhere?

7 minutes ago, IndyArcher said:

I don't recall what the packaging looked like in 2016, and I've never seen the 2 pack to know if they use specific packaging for that. Personally, I can't imagine that they are still trying to sell through balls that are that old. Can you post a pic? Their packaging has changed over the years. We should at least be able to confirm if it is current packaging or not. Is there a copyright/trademark date on the packaging anywhere?

It will have to be someone else who can upload a picture, I threw out the box and only got the sleeve cover. Unfortunately.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

8 hours ago, SwingBlues said:

The 2020 ball will have PRO printed in the alignment line. The 2016 version will have VICE PRO printed in the alignment line. In addition, the 2020 version has the alignment line squared off at the end, the 2016 model has rounded off edges at the end of the line. Google “2016 Vice Pro vs 2020 Vice Pro” and there is a link to the other site comparing the two. I would attach a link, but not sure if it will be deleted.

Edited by hammergolf
  • Thanks 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

4 hours ago, hammergolf said:

The 2016 ball will have PRO printed in the alignment line. The 2020 version will have VICE PRO printed in the alignment line. In addition, the 2016 version has the alignment line squared off at the end, the 2020 model has rounded off edges at the end of the line. Google “2016 Vice Pro vs 2020 Vice Pro” and there is a link to the other site comparing the two. I would attach a link, but not sure if it will be deleted.

hammer...  I think you may have this the backwards.  I have several dozen new Vice Pros I have received in the past couple of months that say "PRO" in the alignment line.  I just went out and checked all of them to make sure...  I have a few that I have found on the course over the past couple of years or so that have "VICE PRO" in the alignment line...  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TonyDAnnunzio said:

hammer...  I think you may have this the backwards.  I have several dozen new Vice Pros I have received in the past couple of months that say "PRO" in the alignment line.  I just went out and checked all of them to make sure...  I have a few that I have found on the course over the past couple of years or so that have "VICE PRO" in the alignment line...  

yep, I have it backwards. Thanks for catching that. I have edited my post.

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 1

On 5/3/2023 at 2:58 PM, hammergolf said:

The 2020 ball will have PRO printed in the alignment line. The 2016 version will have VICE PRO printed in the alignment line. In addition, the 2020 version has the alignment line squared off at the end, the 2016 model has rounded off edges at the end of the line. Google “2016 Vice Pro vs 2020 Vice Pro” and there is a link to the other site comparing the two. I would attach a link, but not sure if it will be deleted.

I can confirm the double dozens I have are the 2016 version based on this info.  As for the packaging, it has a lion theme to it and the box has a sticker for Golf Digest 2019 Hot List Gold.  I never even stopped to look at the sticker when I bought these.

Oh well, for $25 per dozen I will not complain.

• Like 2

Driver - Callaway Mavrik 10.5* - Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 5.5

4W - Callaway Mavrik 16.5* - Project X EvenFlow Riptide 60 5.5

7W - Callaway Mavrik 21* - Project X EvenFlow Riptide 60 5.5

4-GW - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged - TT Dynamic Gold R300

SW - Cleveland RTX ZipCore - 54Mid10 - TT Dynamic Spinner

GW - Cleveland RTX ZipCore - 58Full12 - TT Dynamic Spinner

Putter - Odyssey White Hot 6

Ball - Vice Pro or Wilson Staff Zip

1 hour ago, Augie53 said:

I can confirm the double dozens I have are the 2016 version based on this info.  As for the packaging, it has a lion theme to it and the box has a sticker for Golf Digest 2019 Hot List Gold.  I never even stopped to look at the sticker when I bought these.

Vice is doing a 5+1 free right now, so you can get the new ball better down to $24.99.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Augie53 said:

They are still good balls, they just arnt as durable. I wouldn’t worry about it. Just know that if you find they get worn out fast, the new ball is a lot better as far as durability. 

16 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Vice is doing a 5+1 free right now, so you can get the new ball better down to $24.99.

Yes, because that is what my wife wants to see show up on our doorstep, more golf stuff.

Regarding the stack of new balls I currently have on the shelf, I have been asked the question, "Why do you need to buy golf balls?  What about all the balls that you find on the course, why don't you just use those?  So, what are you going to do with them then?"

I'll hit up the 5+1 next year.  Mental note, do not bring home stray or lost golf balls anymore...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Augie53 said:

Yes, because that is what my wife wants to see show up on our doorstep, more golf stuff.

Regarding the stack of new balls I currently have on the shelf, I have been asked the question, "Why do you need to buy golf balls?  What about all the balls that you find on the course, why don't you just use those?  So, what are you going to do with them then?"

I'll hit up the 5+1 next year.  Mental note, do not bring home stray or lost golf balls anymore...

:You're starting to learn........My wife discovered my golf ball stash recently.   "Are all those boxes golf balls?"

caught ted GIF

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Augie53 said:

I stopped looking for balls on the course for that very reason! Sometimes I have to chastise myself when I’m waiting for a shot so that I don’t wander into the woods to look for balls while standing around! 

This is precisely why I don’t gamble or try drugs. I just tell my wife that I can quit at any time!

3 hours ago, Augie53 said:

Just use the “but they were on sale” line.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, IndyArcher said:

This is precisely why I don’t gamble or try drugs. I just tell my wife that I can quit at any time!

Same things. Different form.

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

2 hours ago, reider69 said:

I have 7 dozen Vice Pro and 4 dozen ProV1X left dash in my garage and I usually find myself playing a random ProV1 or TP5 I find on the course.  Anyone else do that?  Why do we buy balls when we just keep using found balls?  

I did that exact thing for years. I finally gave up on looking for balls. Ones I do find I eventually hit into the woods behind the house only to be brought back with a few teeth marks days to months later by my golden. 

Now I play almost exclusively Vice pro/pro+ or Pro V1 or what remains of some previous gen overrun PV1x that I bought from Par Golf a few years back. 

Sam only gets played on special occasions…

IMG_3907.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, reider69 said:

I have 7 dozen Vice Pro and 4 dozen ProV1X left dash in my garage and I usually find myself playing a random ProV1 or TP5 I find on the course.  Anyone else do that?  Why do we buy balls when we just keep using found balls?  

Good question, it's fun to buy new balls and fun to try random balls on the course. But, good point. If you want to save money, there's plenty of balls to picked up on the course. 

5 hours ago, reider69 said:

Used to.  Now I give them to my buddy that I golf with every week.  He'll play anything found from top flite balls to proV1x. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

On 5/6/2023 at 11:05 AM, reider69 said:

Because found balls are free, of course.

I walked past a perfectly good Nitro today.  Pretty proud of myself.  Nitros are just bad balls but it was still a free ball. 

17 minutes ago, Augie53 said:

Because found balls are free, of course.

I walked past a perfectly good Nitro today.  Pretty proud of myself.  Nitros are just bad balls but it was still a free ball. 

What I've found myself doing if I incidentally hit a ball into thicket, as I look for my ball and find others, I simply pull them out and drop them where they can easily be seen by mowers or other golfers. I'm sure someone will get use out of them, but I'm really starting to get finicky. I love the way my Vice Pros feel and respond, and I think I could fill up a container ship with my inventory at this point! 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2023 at 12:05 PM, reider69 said:

I used to until I had 20 dozen new balls and a bunch of found ProV1's on my bag.  Like @IndyArcherI primarily play Vice Pro now.  I just give the balls I stumble upon to anyone who I'm playing with.  If they don't want, I just chuck them back where I found them.  You need to join the 12 step program....

My name is Anthony and I'm a golf ball addict.......

Any of us who grew up middle class or worse are going to have a hard time leaving a found ball on the course. It's just how we're wired. 

I'm trying to play mostly my Vice Pros but I found a bunch of good balls this weekend as we played 72 holes on a resort course. Resort courses always cough up a bunch of nice balls. 

I still have three dozen Vice Pros from the last 5+1 purchase. I've been playing the shade orange and lime green ones over the winter but will start working in more of the white and splatter balls now that the courses have greened up. 

I had a dozen Bridgestones but a friend needed some so I sold them to him. Then I found a dozen Pro V1X logo balls while cleaning out the garage, so I'm back to a generous surplus. Between my bag, a bucket in my trunk and the pile under my net I probably have 100 more good balls that could be put in play in a pinch. It's insane.

Sometimes I'll cull out the lightly used balls and drop off a bag at the local First Tee facility. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

FWIW the shade orange pros seem to be borderline impossible to lose. No matter where they end up you can almost always spot them from a distance. Anyone who needs a high-visibility ball should consider these.  

• Like 3

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

5 hours ago, me05501 said:

FWIW the shade orange pros seem to be borderline impossible to lose. No matter where they end up you can almost always spot them from a distance. Anyone who needs a high-visibility ball should consider these.  

Easy for me to see in flight, too; both with clear and cloudy sky backgrounds.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2023 at 8:45 AM, me05501 said:

Any of us who grew up middle class or worse are going to have a hard time leaving a found ball on the course. It's just how we're wired

My parents were public school teachers and when I was young I would take holes off golfing with my dad to find him balls.  I would keep the cheap ones and give him the good ones.  It was fun and golfing a full 9 when I was very young wasn't easy so I liked the break.  Still hard to pass up a brand newish ProV1 that is sitting near me and I can afford as many new balls as I want.  Old habits die hard.

On 5/8/2023 at 8:47 AM, me05501 said:

First time I had one out I lost it... In a Sim 🤣 one of foursome wanted to try it and roofed it into the equipment room no one had a key for...  

• Haha 4

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/8/2023 at 8:47 AM, me05501 said:

I agree. The orange shade are my favorite.  SO easy to spot.  Next easiest are the lime.  I've found that the Red ones are kinda hard to spot in the air.

Ping G410 Plus Driver, TaylorMade Aeroburner 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 
Callaway 2015 XR 4, 5 hybrids

Titleist 2021 T300 6-P, 48W irons

Mizuno S23 54, Ping Zing Lob wedges
Axis1 Rose putter