2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Patrick Cantlay - WITB - 2023 The American Express

16 hours ago, QuigleyDU said:

Word is he is bouncing to LIV soon. And with that has gotten difficult to work with. So he has been dropped by a few companies.. Total rumor, but I have heard it. 

You know a lot of people are saying that, I dunno, but many people are saying that. Probably not, but could be, I dont know. 

Booooooooooore off

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, kasting333 said:

Every other top titleist staffer is doing the same thing…

Like who? I can't think of any as extreme as Cantley, who's entire bag was way outdated.

Most Titleist staffers have majority of the new gear in the bag, in particular the woods. You have the odd one who may play last generation T100's, or an older 3 wood but rest of the bag is usually the new gear. TM staffers are usually the same, a lot play an older SIM 3 wood or whatever, but have everything else up to date.

• Like 1

**WITB**

Titleist TSR2 10*, D1, 44.5'' - Ventus Red 6x

Titleist TS2 15*, D1, 42'' - Kai'li Blue Prototype 80TX

Titleist TSR2 Hybrid 18*, A1, 40.25'' - Atmos TS Blue 8X

Titleist T150 4i - AMT Tour White X100 Black Onyx

Titleist 620CB 5-PW - DGX100 120

Titleist SM9 Raw - 52F, 56F, 60D - AMT Tour White S300

Toulon San Diego (2022), 32'', Golf Pride Pro Only Cord Green Star

TP5x

19 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Agree 100%, I’ve thought the same thing every time I see one of his WITB’s.

Has to be very tough to drop a player who is that good and in the prime of his career. But the example I think of is what if a Basketball player endorsed by Nike wore shoes that came out 5-6 yrs ago? Or a tennis player endorsed by a racket company used an outdated model?

Tough for OEM’s to say with a straight face that they’ve made massive gains in technology and design if one of their marquee athletes is using equipment with 2018 technology.

It flies in the face of major OEMs marketing when a player uses what works vs using the hot new trend. Yes, advancements are great if you're using 30-year-old equipment but if what is keeping him in the top 5 of the OWGR why change just because your OEM sponsor has something new? If your game tanks, that costs the player in the long run. There isn't much difference between what Cantlay is using now vs the new items Titleist is moving, but I get that the contracts these players sign to keep money coming in probably have verbiage that they play the newest and greatest item that the OEM came out with, but I also think that's why we are seeing more rogue agents now vs years past?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bullsfan said:

It flies in the face of major OEMs marketing when a player uses what works vs using the hot new trend. Yes, advancements are great if you're using 30-year-old equipment but if what is keeping him in the top 5 of the OWGR why change just because your OEM sponsor has something new? If your game tanks, that costs the player in the long run. There isn't much difference between what Cantlay is using now vs the new items Titleist is moving, but I get that the contracts these players sign to keep money coming in probably have verbiage that they play the newest and greatest item that the OEM came out with, but I also think that's why we are seeing more rogue agents now vs years past?

Yeah I agree, play what works for sure.

But if you're under contract with an OEM, it goes without saying that they would expect you to use the newest products they are marketing for that product release cycle. That's the whole reason major corporations sponsor athletes right? Because average Joes want to use the same stuff their favorite athletes use and "Be like Mike".

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

PC makes his money on consistency.  The thing about Titleist is the great manufacturing and design throughout the years.  I played their DCI units not too long ago and still liked them.  Stricker went back to some 755s (circa 2006) when he got shaky with his AP2s and got a win.  My stepfather who played mini tours for decades still prefers the AP2s.  PC could have had a recent win if he hadn't blown a tee shot on the last hole (not necessarily saying it's the club's fault).  Titleist makes the best looking driver on the market, any form of the TSR.  However, Ping makes great woods that a lot of pros rely on daily.  Obviously Nelly thought the support might not be there and found a better deal with TM, but nobody that leaves Titleist have bad things to say about the clubs.  I game a Ping G410 but still go back to that old faithful 913 (have the D2 and D3) and 913 3W fairly often.  Most of us base our purchases on what fits us, not what the pros have in the bag any given weekend.  Hope PC gets something that keeps him successful and helps win a Ryder Cup.  He's never going to have Bryson or Rahm length (that would likely sell drivers), so it's all about the putter, which I'm sure he will keep gaming a Titleist as long as Scotty is the man.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jfrank said:

PC makes his money on consistency.  The thing about Titleist is the great manufacturing and design throughout the years.  I played their DCI units not too long ago and still liked them.  Stricker went back to some 755s (circa 2006) when he got shaky with his AP2s and got a win.  My stepfather who played mini tours for decades still prefers the AP2s.  PC could have had a recent win if he hadn't blown a tee shot on the last hole (not necessarily saying it's the club's fault).  Titleist makes the best looking driver on the market, any form of the TSR.  However, Ping makes great woods that a lot of pros rely on daily.  Obviously Nelly thought the support might not be there and found a better deal with TM, but nobody that leaves Titleist have bad things to say about the clubs.  I game a Ping G410 but still go back to that old faithful 913 (have the D2 and D3) and 913 3W fairly often.  Most of us base our purchases on what fits us, not what the pros have in the bag any given weekend.  Hope PC gets something that keeps him successful and helps win a Ryder Cup.  He's never going to have Bryson or Rahm length (that would likely sell drivers), so it's all about the putter, which I'm sure he will keep gaming a Titleist as long as Scotty is the man.

For sure, it's all about using what works best for your game, and Winning ultimately pays the bills for these guys.

I picked up a set of AP2 714's in September based on feedback I had seen on WRX, and of course Cantlay still gaming AP2's definitely helped. Everything people have said about the AP2's is 100% true...they have been fantastic for me so far! They look great, feel fantastic, and seem to be very forgiving for what they are.

No doubt that Titleist makes very high quality equipment, but losing Cantlay and Nelly Korda in the same week is not a good look at all. Will that affect their bottom line and sales numbers or reputation though...probably not.

Edited by BallerNate
  • Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

9 hours ago, jfrank said:

Lets be clear, Nelly left Titleist because TM offered her a boatload of cash 🙂 

• Like 1

**WITB**

TP5x

3 hours ago, grm24 said:

Cantlay was on the 2021 winning USA RC Team. He was undefeated in the event.

Indeed.  I suppose I should have phrased it as "another" Ryder Cup.

As long as his putter is solid he will deliver results.  Looking forward to watching him in Italy this year.

I find it pretty cool to see that he just sticks with what he likes & works, instead of always going to the newest. Should serve as a reminder to everyone that newer doesn't necessarily equal better! 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 10° Ventus TR Red | Titleist TSI2 3 wood 15° | Callaway UW 19° | Titleist T100 | Taylormade MG3 | Toulon Design Portland

4 hours ago, Seidinho said:

I find it pretty cool to see that he just sticks with what he likes & works, instead of always going to the newest. Should serve as a reminder to everyone that newer doesn't necessarily equal better! 

Yeah, agreed. Cantlay’s bag is one of my favourites, and love the guys that stick with classics that get the job done for them!

That Daniel Berger story about buying the set of 2011 Tour Preferred irons off e-Bay (or wherever he bought them) was amazing!

I’m as big a Club Ho as anyone, but I look up to the guys who can stick with what works and hope to be one of those guys someday when I grow up, Lol!

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

The thing is if he stays playing same equipment (which he most likely wont) would be dumb to do that.  At least get something from Titleist.  So most likely he will go somewhere where he will feel more “appreciated” and get more money.  Now, all equipment is good these days, however some people especially him who uses older equipment don’t like change and while making more money up front via contract could actually hurt his game in the long run.  

Regarding Titleist not “offering” more to their players.  They dont owe to anyone.  They had Tiger (not sure what clubs he played from them),Rory, Phil, Sergio, Scott and all left for more money elsewhere.  They run a successful business at least how they see it, and dont think paying everyone a boat load of cash is worth it to them.  

8 hours ago, scotty_2987 said:

And that’s why Titleist doesn’t feel like they have to pull up the dump truck full of cash to re-sign him in one simple/unbothered picture, Lol!

Tested out the G430 (and probably lots of other OEM’s new stuff behind the scenes), and tested every new Titleist club in the last 4-5yrs, and this was his reaction when comparing it to his old-faithful setup:

Bored Come On GIF

• Like 3

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Wonder if it’s the driver itself or the triangle alignment aid on the TS3 that he can’t  live without. 

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

On 1/18/2023 at 9:10 AM, FifeRiviera said:

Yeah I am fully behind Titleist dropping him, clubs are 3 cycles out now?

Lead tape on the 60 looks perfection however. 

Also Ping drivers sound horrific and I would like them removed from the tour. 

These tour players don’t give a damn what a driver sounds like if it gives them the best numbers and ball fight they’re looking for. They only care about what clubs give them the lowest score. PERIOD

On 1/21/2023 at 6:51 AM, So_Cal said:

Just put my TS3 back in the bag.  Will see how it goes tomorrow. 

I loved my TS3, had it in the bag last year and loved it when I finally found the right shaft. For some reason I sold it and bought a TSi3 head. It feels so much different, and the sound etc.... anyways i'm sticking with the TSi3 to see how it performs in the summer but my head is telling me I was wrong for getting rid of the TS3!

**WITB**

TP5x

2 hours ago, jaffabell said:

I loved my TS3, had it in the bag last year and loved it when I finally found the right shaft. For some reason I sold it and bought a TSi3 head. It feels so much different, and the sound etc.... anyways i'm sticking with the TSi3 to see how it performs in the summer but my head is telling me I was wrong for getting rid of the TS3!

Sounds like we are in similar positions.  I like the TSi3 but the larger visual of the TS3 gives me confidence.   Driver was really good Saturday.  Will probably hang onto both for now. 

16 hours ago, So_Cal said:

Sounds like we are in similar positions.  I like the TSi3 but the larger visual of the TS3 gives me confidence.   Driver was really good Saturday.  Will probably hang onto both for now. 

Yeah it's a lot more different that I expected... I like the look of the Tsi3 too, but that TS3 just gave me confidence. I feel like when I catch one the TSi3 is longer, it feels a bit lower spin to me. I will need to test in the summer though, with warm air and warm muscles etc...

It took JT a long time to settle in to the TSi3 head so there's that. I'll mess around with weights etc and see where we land. Worst case scenario will be able to pick up a TS3 head for cheap

• Like 1

**WITB**

TP5x

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, T-W said:

Cantlay is sponsored by 2ndswing.com

Bahaha!!

Yeah man, Cantlay is the anti-WRX’er, Lol.

He’s the definition of “play what works”, and “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”.

Great golfer, but I can’t imagine any OEM’s rushing to sign him now that he’s an equipment free-agent.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX