2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

JPX 923 Forged

Lefty87

12 minutes ago, Lftygolfnut said:

I’m just so used to seeing a wedge face at that loft that the set GW looks too squished (for lack of a better word). I’m probably going to get the S23 and I don’t see how it’s not a better choice, especially  considering it’s $27 cheaper. 

That makes a lot of sense. I already have the set GW so the situation is flipped.

50 minutes ago, Lftygolfnut said:

I’m just so used to seeing a wedge face at that loft that the set GW looks too squished (for lack of a better word). I’m probably going to get the S23 and I don’t see how it’s not a better choice, especially  considering it’s $27 cheaper. 

The S23 are the best wedges I've ever owned. I don't know if it's the cg tech that's in them, or whatever, but I hit them better than any wedge I've ever had. I also did the "8 iron spinner" trick I saw on here with them. They both have Modus 120X 8 iron shafts. I love it. I'll do that with wedges forever now.

Played them for about 2.5 months and replaced them w/PXG Gen6 P's. PXG's were longer and more forgiving

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond S  8.5* (Tensei 1k Pro Blue)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 3W (Tensei 1k Black)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 5W (Tensei 1K Pro Black)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 7W (Tensei 1K Pro Black)

Irons: PXG 0317T Xtreme Dark 5-PW (Dynamic Gold120 X100)

Wedge: Titleist SM9 48*

Wedge: Titleist SM9 54*

Wedge: Titleist SM9 58*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Champions Choice

1 hour ago, SwooshLT said:

Are they close to a larger players iron like say i210s or??? 

I’ve never tried the pings…but I was deciding between these or the TM P7MC and I thought the mizunos were slightly more forgiving, but definitely within the same realm. The head is also a little bit larger than other competitors 

26 minutes ago, Chungy said:

I’ve never tried the pings…but I was deciding between these or the TM P7MC and I thought the mizunos were slightly more forgiving, but definitely within the same realm. The head is also a little bit larger than other competitors 

Thanks , yeah I believe the P7mc is more in line with jpx 921/923 tour with the forged being bigger is more in the 770/790 class..... be that as it may, thank you !!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've tried many of the 2023 offerings. Have fallen in and out of love with many as well.

Tried the JPX 923F the other day and can't believe I slept on them. From the back, they're not my favorite, but at address they are exactly what I'm looking for. The feel is outstanding (it is a Mizuno forging after all) and they were surprisingly easy to hit. I'm a picker and was making consistent contact. 

Of course I've heard about Mizuno shipping delays, so if I do pull the trigger, I won't expect them any time soon. But they were a lovely surprise.

• Like 3
PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2023 at 10:16 AM, Konklifer said:

I've tried many of the 2023 offerings. Have fallen in and out of love with many as well.

Tried the JPX 923F the other day and can't believe I slept on them. From the back, they're not my favorite, but at address they are exactly what I'm looking for. The feel is outstanding (it is a Mizuno forging after all) and they were surprisingly easy to hit. I'm a picker and was making consistent contact. 

Of course I've heard about Mizuno shipping delays, so if I do pull the trigger, I won't expect them any time soon. But they were a lovely surprise.

What shaft are you thinking and did you pull the trigger? I'm pondering these but will weakened lofts 

On 7/8/2023 at 6:56 PM, SwooshLT said:

What shaft are you thinking and did you pull the trigger? I'm pondering these but will weakened lofts 

SteelFiber i95r. Ordered on 6/13 so I’ve got some waiting to do. 

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Any more feedback from people who have played them this year on the gapping?

I have a chance to get a set, 5-GW with steefiber 95 stiff like new for only about $1100, well below MSRP.   They were custom ordered, then returned to the shop. They look like they have been played maybe one time..... 

The only set of Mizunos I have had were the MPH5s, I loved those, but lofts were more traditional on those but they were very forgiving.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

1 hour ago, Mike_C said:

Any more feedback from people who have played them this year on the gapping?

I have a chance to get a set, 5-GW with steefiber 95 stiff like new for only about $1100, well below MSRP.   They were custom ordered, then returned to the shop. They look like they have been played maybe one time..... 

The only set of Mizunos I have had were the MPH5s, I loved those, but lofts were more traditional on those but they were very forgiving.

I have had mine in the bag since April - playing a 4-PW

My gapping is pretty much ideal for my game and I don't get any unusual distances out of them. I did have HMP's prior and switched out after a month because my shorter irons were way too long for me.

I'd like to get 5-10 more out of my 4 iron but that's a "workman not the tool" issue. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 9º Driver Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR1 4 Hybrid Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85S

Mizuno Pro 245 4-PW Dynamic Gold 105 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50º 12F Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 56º 12D Dynamic Gold S200

Ping PLD Anser 2D

Had mine for a couple months now and very happy. 
they are forgiving enough on my bad days and feel great when hit well. 
I am glad I made the move to these from my Mizuno Pro’s. 

• Like 2

G430 Max 9 Degrees Accra FX 3.0

G430 LST 3 Wood Ventus Red 6S

Cobra TEC 3 and 4 Hybrid MitsubishiMMT Stiff

JPX Forged 5-G Steelfiber 95R

Callaway Jaws 54m and 58z

Mizuno OMOI #5

Have to reply into this topic.  Had a fitting today at GG, had a pretty good fitter for big box retail.  Ended up with these 923 forged (5-GW) with Modus 105 stiff, gave me the best dispersion, distance, launch and spin out of everything I tried.  Went up against the ZX5 MKII's, and tried Modus 105 in stiff and regular, 950 Neo stiff and regular, Project X LZ 6.0 and 5.5, may have tried a couple of other shafts that were toss outs.  I was surprised to see decent results with the Project X, as a matter of fact shocked.  Project X and irons have never been in the same sentence with me before.  The Mizuno's feel really good, very solid with the Modus, I'm satisfied.  I was up to try maybe a couple of other heads, but we were both like there really is no need.  Now the waiting begins...😟

Forget to add, that I also ordered the S23 wedges in 54 and 58 with Modus 105 wedge shafts, I sure hope this all works out, I've been tinkering/working on my bag from top to bottom for a year now...lol

Edited by pjc

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4 iron| N.S. Pro 980GH DST S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-GW| N.S. Pro 1050GH S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* & 58*| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 115 Wedge
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

18 hours ago, pjc said:

Have to reply into this topic.  Had a fitting today at GG, had a pretty good fitter for big box retail.  Ended up with these 923 forged (5-GW) with Modus 105 stiff, gave me the best dispersion, distance, launch and spin out of everything I tried.  Went up against the ZX5 MKII's, and tried Modus 105 in stiff and regular, 950 Neo stiff and regular, Project X LZ 6.0 and 5.5, may have tried a couple of other shafts that were toss outs.  I was surprised to see decent results with the Project X, as a matter of fact shocked.  Project X and irons have never been in the same sentence with me before.  The Mizuno's feel really good, very solid with the Modus, I'm satisfied.  I was up to try maybe a couple of other heads, but we were both like there really is no need.  Now the waiting begins...😟

Forget to add, that I also ordered the S23 wedges in 54 and 58 with Modus 105 wedge shafts, I sure hope this all works out, I've been tinkering/working on my bag from top to bottom for a year now...lol

Good luck with your setup!! I started my 923 Forged set with DG 120S. Gamed for a few weeks. Switched out to LZ 6.0, also for a few weeks. Then I put in Modus 120 and it was a game changer. The flight and launch are perfect. They're point and shoot straight. I've never been happier with a set of irons. 

• Like 1

Just adding a follow-up, I did snag the irons with the steelfibers.  I have a couple of rounds under my belt with them, and so far, so good. Distance is about what I expect, and forgiveness is pretty solid.  Not easy for me to curve them, which is not a problem, good swing just want to go dead straight. 

Flight is lower than I am used too, but I believe its the shafts.  I've been playing recoils for so long that I forget how high I really hit them. The only concern here is the lower launch with lower spin, its been kind of wet the past week here when I've played, and it's hard to tell how much stopping power/spin I'm getting on them.

They will stay in the bag for awhile and we will see.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, MacAttack67 said:

The 923 Forged are great off the mats but DO NOT perform well on the course. My 919 Tours are more solid, have a superior ball flight and are deadly accurate. I think the 923F is more of a game improvement club and I'm fortunate enough to not need the help. 

What do they not do well? Is the issue spin, distance control, stopping power…?

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

2 hours ago, MacAttack67 said:

The 923 Forged are great off the mats but DO NOT perform well on the course. My 919 Tours are more solid, have a superior ball flight and are deadly accurate. I think the 923F is more of a game improvement club and I'm fortunate enough to not need the help. 

Honestly, it really depends what you are looking for.  The 923 forged lofts are quite a bit stronger and have a different sole design.  If you have decent speed you are probably getting way more distance than you need.  Especially after playing the tours for a while.

• Like 1

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

On 5/4/2023 at 10:34 PM, RN4LGolfer said:

Played them for about 2.5 months and replaced them w/PXG Gen6 P's. PXG's were longer and more forgiving

Just curious, are you playing the same shaft in the 0311p G6?  I am currently trying to decide between these two.  I was fitted last week at PXG into the 0311p G6 with the MMT 70r shaft (92 mph swing with the driver).  The numbers were great.  Very forgiving on mishits but it felt like most were mishits and I wasn’t getter that OMG that felt incredible feeling. 

So today I went to PGASS with the intent of demoing the HMP (which I did).  But I ended up absolutely loving the 923 forged (with the Recoil 460 F3 shaft, which, at 64g I assumed would be WAY to light for me, but it wasn’t).  I never hit that shaft or any recoil shaft during my PXG fitting.   I probably should have. 

On 11/11/2023 at 4:46 PM, pjc said:

Did you stick with the forged? Long term feedback? 

Yes, I have.  I am so surprised that the JPX 923 forged don't get more attention across this site, really surprised.  They seem to have everything a mid capper, or really any decent ball striker could want.  Great feel, great distance, consistency....paired with the correct shaft I think they are one of the best on the market and should be tested by everyone.

I forgot to mention that they also are very forgiving for a player's style iron.  You can strike it all over the face within reason and get good results.

Edited by pjc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4 iron| N.S. Pro 980GH DST S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-GW| N.S. Pro 1050GH S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* & 58*| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 115 Wedge
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

9 minutes ago, pjc said:

Yes, I have.  I am so surprised that the JPX 923 forged don't get more attention across this site, really surprised.  They seem to have everything a mid capper, or really any decent ball striker could want.  Great feel, great distance, consistency....paired with the correct shaft I think they are one of the best on the market and should be tested by everyone.

I forgot to mention that they also are very forgiving for a player's style iron.  You can strike it all over the face within reason and get good results.

I could not agree more with this statement. I am so torn between the 923 forged and the Gen6 0311P.

The feel of the 923 forged was absolutely amazing. I don’t know if that was the result of the recoil shaft or the head or a combination of both. The feel was addictive.  And I agree, they are plenty forgiving. I just can’t tell if they are as forgiving as the foam filled PXG’s.

On 12/31/2023 at 3:33 PM, wam78 said:

Honestly, it really depends what you are looking for.  The 923 forged lofts are quite a bit stronger and have a different sole design.  If you have decent speed you are probably getting way more distance than you need.  Especially after playing the tours for a while.

This has been my experience.  I have 923F and 923T in the mid irons (5 and 6) at factory lofts.  The best strikes with the tours can still be quite a bit shorter (10-15 yards) versus an average strike with the forged.  I have a combo MP-60/67 set that gaps way better than the 923s at factory lofts.

I'm in a bit of a pickle at the moment because the tour mid irons launch a bit too high and balloon on me, but the forged give me a pretty big gap between my 7 iron and my 5 and 6.  I'm getting height without the ball speed in the tours, and ball speed without the height in the forged.  Next thing on the agenda is to play around with testing stronger lofts in the tour 5-6 and/or weaker lofts in the forged 5-6.

I really don't mind playing the forged, but they aren't working as well for me as like an MP-60 has.  923 Tour vs MP-67 is pretty 50-50 in terms of performance, with the 923 Tours maybe being a bit more forgiving on mishits.  I'm hoping that loft changes get the gapping sorted out.

• Like 1