2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Do name brand teachers and not so name brand teachers ever ruin highly talented players?

Zitlow

When I lived in Houston I would see Patrick Prince around and knew him a little bit. He played the mini tours and beat Chad Campbell in a playoff to win the Hooters Tour Championship in the late 90s.

He was a highly talented young player who in my opinion a lot of his talent was coached right out of him by range pros and bigger name pros in Houston. 

image.jpeg.96dee1a0f48cdc2c6663cdf4cdf5f25b.jpeg

Edited by Zitlow

31 minutes ago, BALLYBUNION said:

Bradley Hughes says he should have stuck with what got him to the PGA tour instead of listening to tour gurus once he made the tour.   

I took lessons from a couple driving range pros and also took  lessons from Kevin Kirk and one lesson from Butch Harmon who never showed up for my second lesson. I think he was so sickened by my swing that he changed his name and fled the country. 

• Haha 2

At that level you need to be somewhat autonomous. I mean what are you trying to improve, a golf swing that already got you to the tour. If you don't trust what you've got then you're beaten already. It's great to have a coach, a sounding board and a confidence builder, but not so much a swing changer. And the chasing of aesthetics when something already works makes zero sense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iacas said:

You're not wrong.

That's why I think it's incumbent upon the instructor/coach to test the player or check that the player truly understands everything, that they feel open to discussion, etc. That they know how to continue to work on their "thing" after they leave…

100% agree

Instruction at that level needs to be helping them understand more what they do great and how to find it again when they are in a slump

• Like 1

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

I don't think Patrick Prince needed a lot of coaching, he needed validation that he was on the right track.

A few couple years ago I was watching a golf tournament on SkySports and they had Butch in the booth watching DJ warm up.

Butch said Dustin came to him the day before and said he couldn't hit a fairway and would Butch look at his swing. Butch watched him hit a few balls and told Dustin he was over extending his right knee.

Butch said Dustin nailed 10 drives in a row and thanked him for the help. Butch and the guy in the booth were laughing about it. 

Rickie Fowler went back to Butch and he's playing well again, maybe y'all can see a difference but to me his swing looks the same as it did before he came back to Butch. 

Edited by Zitlow
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Zitlow said:

Rickie Fowler went back to Butch and he's playing well again, maybe y'all can see a difference but to me his swing looks the same as it did before he came back to Butch. 

There may have been some lightning in a bottle or placebo going on the first 3 rounds last week. 

For lack of a better term, Rickie was ‘shallow too shallow’ when he started seeing Butch. Butch then brought him to a more ‘shallow to steep’ pattern the last 10 years. The few swings I saw from last week looked more ‘steep to steep’ 😂 

From what I read, the eventual goal is “steep to shallow” 

Im rooting for Rickie. He’s an incredible athlete and IMO there is no reason he should not have a major by now. 

It's interesting that arguably the greatest modern instructor (Butch) says that his greatest feat and best attribute is not that he has helped everyone that has seen him get better, but rather that nobody that sees him gets worse.

At that level, they're already so good and it's easy to get worse in attempt to get better.

As for Ricky, it's bleeding obvious that he is playing and swinging way better since going back to Butch. Never mind the USO, he's #35 in the WR after falling out of the top 100 and watching majors on TV.

Last season he was 114th in strokes gained off the tee, this season he is 64th. Last season he was 150th in SG approach the green, this season he is 7th.

• Like 1

I think the most important thing is knowing how much the player wants to know about their game. With today's tech, get your player on GCQuad, 3D capture, video, and collect data when they're playing well, even if they don't see it, a coach can see when they're going off track and plan how to relay back.

There are great coaches on tour, but there's often a touch of snake oil as they're looking for an edge, a unique selling point of their services no  matter how competent or well-meaning they are.

Very interesting topic. I play quite regularly with some guys on the pga/korn ferry and love to pick their brains on the technical side of the swing and ask about recent lessons they’ve had. Imo to be a swing coach for someone at that level has to be tough, what Monte mentioned above is gold and imo how a lot of their lessons go with their teachers. 

What I also think is tough for a swing coach at that level is pros can get away with swing faults us amateurs cant. One of the guys I play with the most has an open clubface in the backswing, steepens it on the way down, right elbow stuck behind right hip and flip release. He’s one of the top ball strikers on the Korn ferry too and one of the top players distance wise 😂

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Zitlow said:

David Leadbetter is like the Boston Strangler, don't go near him. 

He ruined Patrick Reed.  Reed is a natural drawer of the ball and Leadbetter taught him how to hit a fade.  He's won one tournament since then while still a member on the PGA Tour and lost considerable distance after his swing change.  As much as I don't like him, he used to be super talented but is now nowhere near what he used to be. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

47 minutes ago, Louis_Posture said:

Chris Como

Ha. No.

• Like 3

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

Any coach that try’s to mold all their players into a particular model have ruined players. Weak grip, neutral grip, strong grip, inside take away, outside takeaway, shoulder plane swing, elbow plane swing, rear post, center post, front post. They all can be good swings the key is finding a good coach who will work with what your body wants to do instead of a one size fits all swing. Too many coaches want to force everyone to swing like Adam Scott. How many pros tried to fix a young Jim Furyk or Matt Wolf swing. There’s lots of wrong ways to swing a club, but there’s no right way. The ball doesn’t care what your swing looks like only how you get the club through the hitting zone. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 HC

Ping G20 10.5

Ping G20 15 Hybrid

Yonex EZone 3-9

Maltby Milled Wedges 50,56,60

KS1 Putter

20 minutes ago, PhillipG78 said:

Any coach that try’s to mold all their players into a particular model have ruined players. Weak grip, neutral grip, strong grip, inside take away, outside takeaway, shoulder plane swing, elbow plane swing, rear post, center post, front post. They all can be good swings the key is finding a good coach who will work with what your body wants to do instead of a one size fits all swing. Too many coaches want to force everyone to swing like Adam Scott. How many pros tried to fix a young Jim Furyk or Matt Wolf swing. There’s lots of wrong ways to swing a club, but there’s no right way. The ball doesn’t care what your swing looks like only how you get the club through the hitting zone. 

I disagree.

Jack Nicklaus instructor Jack Grout refused to teach those who would not adopt the grip he taught. He did not want to waste the students time or his time, and he was right. Grout did not teach "one swing". He adhered to a few address technique fundamentals (grip-posture-alignment) and once those fundamentals were learned the players own naturally effective swing emerged.

It's true one can always find a successful Tour player or two who had an unorthodox grip or some other unconventional method, but doing things the hard way is not something that should be taught.

17 minutes ago, Louis_Posture said:

I disagree.

Jack Nicklaus instructor Jack Grout refused to teach those who would not adopt the grip he taught. He did not want to waste the students time or his time, and he was right. Grout did not teach "one swing". He adhered to a few address technique fundamentals (grip-posture-alignment) and once those fundamentals were learned the players own naturally effective swing emerged.

It's true one can always find a successful Tour player or two who had an unorthodox grip or some other unconventional method, but doing things the hard way is not something that should be taught.

Jack had a flying elbow something coaches have tried to do away with since time immemorial, so clearly his coach didn’t coach to a stock swing, Jacks swing was anything but stock. And Grout probably ruined several players who didn’t math up well with the grip he taught. David Duvalls grip was the literal polar opposite of Jordan Spieth and both would not do well with a neutral grip. I’m a strong under grip, being forced to use the same grip as Jack would be bad for me. Same as doing the Vardon, vs the interlock. I had a coach try and make me do the Vardon it didn’t work. Making every player use a standard grip, takeaway and backswing is just lazy coaching. 

Edited by PhillipG78

10 HC

Ping G20 10.5

Ping G20 15 Hybrid

Yonex EZone 3-9

KS1 Putter

7 minutes ago, PhillipG78 said:

Jack had a flying elbow something coaches have tried to do away with since time immemorial, so clearly his coach didn’t coach to a stock swing, Jacks swing was anything but stock.

Did you read my post ? Here is a quote from it:

"Grout did not teach "one swing". He adhered to a few address technique fundamentals (grip-posture-alignment) and once those fundamentals were learned the players own naturally effective swing emerged"

1 minute ago, Louis_Posture said:

Did you read my post ? Here is a quote from it:

"Grout did not teach "one swing". He adhered to a few address technique fundamentals (grip-posture-alignment) and once those fundamentals were learned the players own naturally effective swing emerged"

Yes and none of these “fundamentals” are fixed, ESPECIALLY grip. Jacks grip and set up worked for Jack, doesn’t work for everyone. Making every player adhere to “your grip” is lazy teaching. 

• Like 1

10 HC

Ping G20 10.5

Ping G20 15 Hybrid

Yonex EZone 3-9

KS1 Putter

On 6/23/2023 at 2:50 AM, Zitlow said:

When I lived in Houston I would see Patrick Prince around and knew him a little bit. He played the mini tours and beat Chad Campbell in a playoff to win the Hooters Tour Championship in the late 90s.

He was a highly talented young player who in my opinion a lot of his talent was coached right out of him by range pros and bigger name pros in Houston. 

On 6/23/2023 at 3:59 AM, Zitlow said:

David Leadbetter is like the Boston Strangler, don't go near him. 

Some have coined the term "Led poisoning"

15 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

He ruined Patrick Reed.  Reed is a natural drawer of the ball and Leadbetter taught him how to hit a fade.  He's won one tournament since then while still a member on the PGA Tour and lost considerable distance after his swing change.  As much as I don't like him, he used to be super talented but is now nowhere near what he used to be. 

• Haha 3