2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

What etiquette fail really grinds your gears ?

4 hours ago, mshills said:

^^^^ whoever runs that game needs to man up and kick that guy out of the group. Replace that dude, he’s not going to improve. 

Most likely I'll be the one to leave the group. I expressed my concerns about inviting him to play and I was told I shouldn't let things bother me the way I do. I was told if I didn't want to play when he plays that was on me. The other guys laugh at the things he does. 

That sucks man.

I’m a long way from being stuffy or uptight about golf, but what you’ve described here is utter tool shed behavior.  I just could not play with that guy.

• Like 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

It's beyond etiquette, but not marking your ball and/or knowing what brand and model ball you are playing. Them: "That must be mine. I am pretty sure I was playing a Titleist..." Me: "No, that's my ball. It's a Titleist Pro v1 and is marked similarly to the 5 or 6 other balls in my bag..."

• Like 3

TaylorMade Stealth2+ 9° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 5-S

TaylorMade M5 15° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 6-S
Callaway CF-18 18° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 S
Srixon ZX5 4-AW - Nippon Modus3 105 R
Cleveland ZipCore 54° Mid and 58° Mid - DG Spinner
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 35"
Titleist Pro V1
Arccos Gen 3 sensors

On 6/25/2023 at 2:26 PM, straightshot7 said:

standing behind the hole or standing directly behind you while you're playing a shot.

also, talking when you're about to hit

these are usually done by people new to the game and I will usually just not say anything because maybe they will accuse you of taking it too seriously or using that as an excuse.

yes, I try to be un-distractable but the reality is someone talking or walking in my line or behind me does distract me.

And golf is hard enough without having someone in your group making it harder. I avoid playing with these people at all costs.

I played in a tournament this past weekend, and guys who were in the flights above me were paired with me on the first day.  I must have stepped away from a good number of shots.  Carrying on conversations.  I take about 15 seconds to go through my routine and hit my shot, maybe 30 if it's a bit tricky.  Can you not just shut up for a moment?

• Like 1

People who complain about others, complain about how slow its playing, complain about how the weather is going to get bad, complain about their own game, makes a sloppy bogey on the first hole, “I’ll probably shoot a hundred today”. Complain after every shot, in a very loud voice with liberal use of expletives. Go on a diatribe, “ 4 to get down from 30 yards! Why the F does that happen? I gotta be brain dead”. 

And so on…..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, st1800e said:

People who complain about others, complain about how slow its playing, complain about how the weather is going to get bad, complain about their own game, makes a sloppy bogey on the first hole, “I’ll probably shoot a hundred today”. Complain after every shot, in a very loud voice with liberal use of expletives. Go on a diatribe, “ 4 to get down from 30 yards! Why the F does that happen? I gotta be brain dead”. 

And so on…..

We have this guy

no shot is ever good enough

a wedge to 12 feet, berates himself for 5 minutes

doesn’t hole a greenside sand shot, That was such an easy shot, how can it not go in?

this happens on every hole, it’s insane

Cally AIS TD Max 10.5* Ventus Black 5x

Callaway AI Smoke TD 16* Ventus Red 6x

Callaway GBB Hvnwd 19* Ventus Blue 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Cally Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x

Ping i210 6-7 & s55 8-PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59* SF 125s

LAB Mezz Max

5 hours ago, jholz said:

I think we've covered on course behaviors pretty well here but what about the practice green?

I can't say I'm a big fan of "shag-bag" guy these days.

Shows up on a busy weekend morning, dumps out 50 balls, and then just rakes and hits from the same spot on the fringe. Covers half the green with his balls (often ball marks as well) and leaves a nice dirt patch for the rest of us to enjoy.

And the thing that really kills me... this has to be the least effective way to practice chipping. Just like the rake and slap guys out on the range.

Hell, every course out here has solved this with "NO CHIPPING" signs near the practice green. Not that it stops shag bag guy, but I'm not going to practice chipping against the course's guidelines.

Which means there are no courses around here to practice chipping. Unlike where I grew up where they had a putting green, but also a practice green for chipping/pitching that even included bunkers.

Guess which part of my game is the weakest?

• Like 2

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

6 hours ago, Mike412 said:

People touching what isn’t theirs.

This happened for the second time this year Saturday (first was my wife’s ball). There are 2 par 3’s back-to-back. The one I was playing had a back pin position, my ball went long and stopped about 3 yards from the other green when that group was teeing off. So I get up there go back where I think my ball is and it’s nowhere to be found. I ask “did y’all happen to see a ball back here?”, they answered with a guilty tone “nah man, we didn’t see one”. I kept looking while they putted out and went back to their carts. Finally I guess the guilt got to one of them and he came sheepishly back and said did you hit a Srixon?” I say yep and said “here it is man, sorry we didn’t know whose it was”. I just asked where it was and said that’s fine and he apologized again and slumbered away. ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW IS IT’S NOT YOURS!!

I even feel the same way about wedges or headcovers left next to the green. (I get some may not agree with this one but logistically it’s better to just leave it there). Just leave them there so someone can backtrack and find them without having to ask multiple groups and go to the club house to ask. I haven’t left a wedge in years but the wife did once and realized 2 holes later, the next hole wrapped back around close to that green so I told her we’d grab it then. Of course it wasn’t there and had to backtrack awkwardly asking every group if the picked it up. She learned something that day lol.

If someone is nice enough to pick up a wedge I forgot, I'm not going to complain ... better than not picking up, and having someone not as "upright" pick it up and keep it as their new club.

• Like 2

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

2 Wood: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

1 hour ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Hell, every course out here has solved this with "NO CHIPPING" signs near the practice green. Not that it stops shag bag guy, but I'm not going to practice chipping against the course's guidelines.

Which means there are no courses around here to practice chipping. Unlike where I grew up where they had a putting green, but also a practice green for chipping/pitching that even included bunkers.

Guess which part of my game is the weakest?

Yeah, I was astounded when I moved to the southeast and mid-atlantic. Every now and again they will put out the "no chipping" signs in the spring - but for the most part it's fair game.

I happily spend three or four hours at the practice green - and boy am I sharp out there.

Get me on the course...and it's anyone's guess.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

1 hour ago, Schulzmc said:

Rule at our club are pretty clear. No hats in the clubhouse and if you need to make a call step outside. Maybe they aren’t being “p***y” but simply expecting people to follow the rules we have all agreed to follow.

I often wonder,  if a vote were taken at such places, how many would really vote for no hats?

13 hours ago, Mike412 said:

I even feel the same way about wedges or headcovers left next to the green. (I get some may not agree with this one but logistically it’s better to just leave it there). Just leave them there so someone can backtrack and find them without having to ask multiple groups and go to the club house to ask. I haven’t left a wedge in years but the wife did once and realized 2 holes later, the next hole wrapped back around close to that green so I told her we’d grab it then. Of course it wasn’t there and had to backtrack awkwardly asking every group if the picked it up. She learned something that day lol.

I have my name and phone number on the shaft of every club. Once it has payed off.

9 hours ago, Schulzmc said:

Rule at our club are pretty clear. No hats in the clubhouse and if you need to make a call step outside. Maybe they aren’t being “p***y” but simply expecting people to follow the rules we have all agreed to follow.

What difference does it make to anyone else if someone wears a hat indoors? how is it offending anyone or causing anyone a problem???

What sense does it make to have people being loud, rude, chauvinist, a whole range of other things in the clubhouse and yet you cant make a brief call to someone to say "ill see you in an hour" or something without having to go outside?

Just because your rules are clear it doesnt mean they are good rules, its totally needless.

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade M2 (set at 8.5); Graphite Design AD DI5-X

3 Wood: PXG GEN 3 0341X 15.5; HZRDUS Yellow 70 6.5

Hybrid: PXG GEN 5 0311XF 19; HZRDUS Black 6.5

Irons: Titleist T100s 4-PW; Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PXG 0311 Forged 50, 54, 58; Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Odyssey Pro 9 White Hot

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x 

8 hours ago, bcjim said:

I often wonder,  if a vote were taken at such places, how many would really vote for no hats?

@iacas certainly would 😂

10 hours ago, tatertot said:

If someone is nice enough to pick up a wedge I forgot, I'm not going to complain ... better than not picking up, and having someone not as "upright" pick it up and keep it as their new club.

Yeah, I would also argue it's much more likely the person who lost will either a) get it back cause it should get turned in soon after they finish, or b)doesn't circle back a long way since the lost item is moving with the group.  So long as the person picking it up doesn't think they have a new wedge, it's all good in my book.

• Like 1

The playing the wrong ball guy gets me every time. 

This weekend I hit a really good second shot on a part 5, should have been just off the green on the right side. One of the other guys in my foursome is way ahead of me and hits his 3rd shot from the right side of the green about where I expected my ball to be. I get up there, my ball is nowhere to be found. I politely ask him if there's any chance he played the wrong ball and he denies it. We proceed to hunt all over for my ball and no dice. I give up and we go up to the green where...sure enough...he's playing my ball. I had to be like "I was hitting a titleist 1, ProV1 last year's model, with a scuff below the #1" before he admitted it. Never found out where his ball went. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Denny100 said:

What difference does it make to anyone else if someone wears a hat indoors? how is it offending anyone or causing anyone a problem???

What sense does it make to have people being loud, rude, chauvinist, a whole range of other things in the clubhouse and yet you cant make a brief call to someone to say "ill see you in an hour" or something without having to go outside?

Just because your rules are clear it doesnt mean they are good rules, its totally needless.

This is a great case for the phrase, “different strokes for different folks.” I have no problem with you having this opinion. I am just glad you are not a member at my club. I have some friends that recently visited Michael Jordan’s course and in his clubhouse there are no rules except, “don’t spoil the fun for someone else.” T-shirts, hats, cell phones, even cigars are totally fine in the bar. Maybe fun to visit but I could not belong to that club.

My mom taught me clearly that you never wear a hat inside. “If it can’t rain on your head, you shouldn’t have a hat on it.” Does it really bother me if others do not follow this? No. But it does bother me when people feel like they are above the rules and can do whatever they want. And BTW, we would not allow someone to be rude, loud, etc. in the clubhouse either. Just last year someone was over served and got loud and obnoxious and he was quickly called a cab and sent home.

I guess I am showing my age, but is there anything wrong with having some rules and drawing a line on appearance and decorum? Imagine if someone showed up on the tee or at the bar at your course in ripped up cut off jeans and a dirty, ripped t-shirt with an inappropriate slogan on it. I would assume you would draw the line somewhere. Perhaps we just draw that line in a different place.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Schulzmc said:

This is a great case for the phrase, “different strokes for different folks.” I have no problem with you having this opinion. I am just glad you are not a member at my club. I have some friends that recently visited Michael Jordan’s course and in his clubhouse there are no rules except, “don’t spoil the fun for someone else.” T-shirts, hats, cell phones, even cigars are totally fine in the bar. Maybe fun to visit but I could not belong to that club.

My mom taught me clearly that you never wear a hat inside. “If it can’t rain on your head, you shouldn’t have a hat on it.” Does it really bother me if others do not follow this? No. But it does bother me when people feel like they are above the rules and can do whatever they want. And BTW, we would not allow someone to be rude, loud, etc. in the clubhouse either. Just last year someone was over served and got loud and obnoxious and he was quickly called a cab and sent home.

I guess I am showing my age, but is there anything wrong with having some rules and drawing a line on appearance and decorum? Imagine if someone showed up on the tee or at the bar at your course in ripped up cut off jeans and a dirty, ripped t-shirt with an inappropriate slogan on it. I would assume you would draw the line somewhere. Perhaps we just draw that line in a different place.

Absolutely, if people were coming to the course wearing clothes they knew we inappropriate, e.g. political slogans on shirts or clearly inappropriate clothes then there is a line to be drawn.

I do feel there is a kind of "hanging onto old values" thing going on though, at least in my experience in the UK. Some people are trying to hang onto an era that should be long gone in my opinion. The idea that certain times of the day are reserved for men and women.... we are playing the same game, lets just have equal opportunities and let everyone have equal chance to come whenever. Wearing a tie after a certain time in the clubhouse? please get rid of stuff like this.

These kind of things are the stereotypical cliches non golfers look at and they really do inhibit the growth of the game I feel.

I see people constantly being rude over here, every third word is an F or an S or something that everyone else can hear. People have no sense of inclusivity with their brazen sexist, racist or political jokes, and yet you cant call your wife indoors.

Its utterly bizarre to me yet we are all different i suppose.

• Like 1

Another not so much bad "etiquette" but annoyance is when you get the SAME greenkeeper following you round maintaining the course, on multiple holes that day.

If youre going to rake the bunkers on the 5th and hold us up, dont then go and rake the bunkers on the 6th knowing youre going to hold us up AGAIN.

Same with mowing the semi rough or something down the side of the fairway. Dont just mow the fairway and then we see you again in 2-3 holes time, doing EXACTLY the same thing. Have some sense about it.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2023 at 7:35 PM, tips09 said:

Not sure if it’s been covered yet but anyone giving the early call of “it’s in” on a putt can go straight to hell. I can’t think of any putt I have hit that I’ve had that happen and it’s actually gone in but way too often it will lip out. 

Buddy of mine, Dog, big dude, calls this "quick calling".  His evil eye after doing so will melt your retinas.  And I'm with him on this.

My regular league partner does this and I can't seem to formulate a kind request for him to stop with out it ending in jail time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

On 6/25/2023 at 8:04 PM, Avidswampthing66 said:

Ok, this isn't a huge deal but one that bothers.  If I'm putting and it's not going to reach the hole and someone says NOPE, UH OH, thats not going to make it.  It freaking bothers me.  It's like yeas, we all know we can all see it.  You don't have to SAY IT.  My dad does it.  lololol every freakin time.  It makes me madder than actually leaving it short.

He knows it drives you crazy and probably figures if he does it enough, you'll learn your lesson and quit leaving them short.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Schulzmc said:

This is quite hypocritical...

• Like 1

Does anyone really GAFF about Joe-Bob's post round recap of lip outs and coulda, woulda, shoulda's?

I've seen a gaggle of dudes do this in a circle trying to one-up the other guys triple bogey that was almost an albatross.

Weird.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

49 minutes ago, Denny100 said:

If youre going to rake the bunkers on the 5th and hold us up, dont then go and rake the bunkers on the 6th knowing youre going to hold us up AGAIN.

I thought standard practice is to work on the course backward (18th hole, then 17, etc.) to avoid this very thing happening…

6 minutes ago, Schulzmc said:

I thought standard practice is to work on the course backward (18th hole, then 17, etc.) to avoid this very thing happening…

Youd think so.

1 hour ago, ND2005 said:

The playing the wrong ball guy gets me every time. 

This weekend I hit a really good second shot on a part 5, should have been just off the green on the right side. One of the other guys in my foursome is way ahead of me and hits his 3rd shot from the right side of the green about where I expected my ball to be. I get up there, my ball is nowhere to be found. I politely ask him if there's any chance he played the wrong ball and he denies it. We proceed to hunt all over for my ball and no dice. I give up and we go up to the green where...sure enough...he's playing my ball. I had to be like "I was hitting a titleist 1, ProV1 last year's model, with a scuff below the #1" before he admitted it. Never found out where his ball went. 

Playing Saturday on a PACKED course ... adjacent holes #3 and #4, pond on #4. Buddy in my group drives WAY right from an elevated tee on #3, across the #4 fairway. We actually watch a guy drive from the #4 tee, drive up to my buddy's ball ... pick it up ... examine it ... and THROW IT IN THE POND!!!! Who does that? My buddy was irate ... goes over there and demands a new ball. The guy gives him one. Welcome to public golf in 2023.

• Confused 1

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

2 Wood: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

3 hours ago, Denny100 said:

Would you wear a golf hat to Morton's or Ruth's Chris or some place like that?

• Like 1

Just now, smashdn said:

Would you wear a golf hat to Morton's or Ruth's Chris or some place like that?

I dont even know what Morton's is but if Morton's isnt a golf course then I wouldnt be wearing a golf hat given that im not at golf. Given that ive just come off a golf course in golf clothes and I happen to be wearing a hat, I dont see why its that big a deal to some people the hat HAS to be removed.

Ill remove my hat too, my point is the silly overblown reaction to someone who might go in with the hat on, or just forget to take it off etc, in relation to other things that no one cares about. Like, no one cares if youve drank over the legal limit to get back into your car.....But wear a hat, all hell breaks loose.

I dont wear a hat much in public but if someone was wearing a hat, im really not bothered by it.