2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

What etiquette fail really grinds your gears ?

1 hour ago, J_Tizzle said:

I firmly believe that one of the best investments a club can make is hire a college kid and pay them $25/hr, give them one of these (https://parwest.com/product/par-aide-accufix-ball-mark-repair-tool-1092/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwy9-kBhCHARIsAHpBjHhA3JBfsP3SpaX53aaGm8OD0BDz0ZpVdqgzEzOpxDnyksgVgxqYT4YaAovaEALw_wcB), let them listen to tunes for 2-3hrs a day and just go green to green and repair marks every morning. 

While this should NOT be necessary, we all know that it would be amazing to be the first group off and see 90% of the ball marks fixed.

Yeah they absolutely should do this. I did not know such a magnificent tool existed.

45 minutes ago, 596 said:

It's the guys that drive golf carts as though they are all-wheel drive.  And they drive everywhere and anywhere.  BTW - when it's "Cart Path Only" that includes the rough!!!  

Saw a guy drive a cart right across the green a few days ago. He had driven the cart around behind his green (where he shouldn't be anyway) and it's actually a double green with the par 3 we were playing. We watched from the tee box as he kept going around behind his green and I'm saying, "where the ^&^%I&  is he going? He stops, realizes he'd have to drive all the way back around and....zips right across the connecting part of the double green! Unbelievable. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I have no problem with other players standing behind me on any shot (as long as they are quiet). If I end up in an unraked bunker I just rake it and drop (probably illegal but WTH). If there are deep ball marks in my putting line I repair them.  
All I ask is Please just turn off the ringer on your cellphone. It’s a backswing killer for me. Chewed Sunflower seeds on the green are pretty disgusting too. 

Edited by miles2go

6 minutes ago, miles2go said:

I have no problem with other players standing behind me on any shot. If I end up in an unraked bunker I just rake it and drop (probably illegal but WTH). If there are deep ball marks in my putting line I repair them.  
All I ask is Please just turn off the ringer on your cellphone. It’s a backswing killer for me. Chewed Sunflower seeds on the green are pretty disgusting too. 

I do the same thing if my ball I is in an unraked area. I could care less what anyone thinks. I should not have to hit out of a footprint or ball mark because someone else is a lazy pos.

• Like 2

Most things don't bother me. If someone is standing in the wrong place, I chalk it up to a lapse in awareness and just ask them to move (with not even a hint of irritation).

Slow play DOES bother me. If someone is holding me up, that's irritating, but I can make the adjustment, but if I'm playing with someone who is holding up the group behind us, that makes me hugely uncomfortable.

• Like 1

It’s a long list, most covered above

Left off so far

- random screamer guy after his shot

- shot detailer guy after every miss

- the partier 4 some … 40 mins longer on the back nine.  I had an event last week and one guy smoked 7 joints on the back 9 

the lack of situational awareness amongst many is simply stunning nowadays, there must be something in the water or cellphones 

• Like 2

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

6 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

It’s a long list, most covered above

Left off so far

- random screamer guy after his shot

- shot detailer guy after every miss

- the partier 4 some … 40 mins longer on the back nine.  I had an event last week and one guy smoked 7 joints on the back 9 

the lack of situational awareness amongst many is simply stunning nowadays, there must be something in the water or cellphones 

Yep. And the cost to play keeps going up while the fairways are burnt out and the greens have random weeds and sand traps. But that’s a different complaint session. 

Edited by miles2go

Most of the obvious ones are covered. A couple more that stick out to me.

-Players that do not begin green reading routines until it is their turn. Usually resulting in everyone else in the group taking less time to avoid slowing play.

-Good 'ol boys that always walk off the green before everyone is done putting. I've noticed it a lot more playing with my wife or other women. It is expected if your group is behind but if you're on pace or just going to the box to wait, I find it rude.

-Players that hit errant shots, clearly in the direction of other holes, but do not give warning.

-Players that get angry about errant shots, do not watch them enter the hazard, and then begin a 5-minute 150 yard search.

-Guys getting obliterated on the course and leaving cans, clubs, balls, etc. everywhere.

Edited by JJFWebster
  • Like 2

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus - 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x  

Taylormade Stealth 2 - 16.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7x  

Taylormade Stealth 2 - 21* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8x  
Ping I20 (4 - GW) - KBS Tour 130 X-Stiff 130g  
Titleist Vokey SM4 Nickel - 56.14 - KBS Tour X-Stiff 130g  
Titleist Vokey SM4 Nickel - 60.10 - KBS Tour X-Stiff 130g  
Titleist Scotty Phantom X 7  

Titleist Pro V1 Ball | NO1 50-PRO Grips | Nikon Coolshot Pro II Rangefinder

1 hour ago, JetSpeed79 said:

I have to ask, how old was the guy in question? Was he into his idgas years?

I was in REI the other day standing next to a guy that was probably 80+. All of a sudden he rips the loudest most aggressive fart I’ve ever heard in public. He didn’t bat an eye. Absolutely no reaction and continued perusing the wares. I don’t think it was an act. He just legitimately did not care. 

It was stunning, and quite frankly I was jealous. I may never know what it’s like to live so free and uninhibited. They say you should never meet your heroes but I think this case was an exception. 

Didn't really get a good look as he had driven away before we reached the green but looked like a younger dude to me.

I have witnessed the old guy phenomenon you mention though... 🤣

• Haha 2

Sunflower seeds are the worst. Gross and disgusting. And fully because someone just doesn’t give a damn about anyone else.

I hate slow play, but it’s not going anywhere. And some people don’t even know it’s them. 

But the one that drives me nuts is when we have a storyteller in our group. I don’t give a damn about the girl at the party, yada, yada , yada. Just shut up and hit the ball. We had a guy a couple weeks ago, the story went on for THREE holes! And he’s slow, younger guy, newer to the game. Hits it way off line (and 50 yards shorter than he thinks it is). Never ready because he’s yapping, and then it’s search time. We were two holes behind our other group after four holes. And we couldn’t speed him up.  Man I’m getting old and grumpy!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Most of these def resonate with me.  The thing that pisses me off the most is entitled young juniors leaving the practice putting green a mess. They take out the short pins and leave them on the ground after they practice for 2 hours around the hole.  Would it kill them to put the short pin back in the hole when they’re done so others can enjoy and practice as well? No because they’re too bleeping selfish and entitled.  

Not sure if it’s been covered yet but anyone giving the early call of “it’s in” on a putt can go straight to hell. I can’t think of any putt I have hit that I’ve had that happen and it’s actually gone in but way too often it will lip out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Cobra LTDX 9* Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 6.0

Ping G400 17.5* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0 

Taylormade SIM Max Hybrid 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S 

Mizuno MP69 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland Zipcore 50* 54* 58* DG Tour Issue X100

Toulon San Diego

10 hours ago, nitram said:

So why are you still playing with him?

I am certainly not trying to. I started playing a lot as a single again to get away from him. That seems to be my only escape from him. 

I have reconnected with some of my old playing buddies that decided to get back into the game this year. I thought playing with them was my chance to get away from him. For two months all was good. Now one of the guys is having some medical issues and the poor etiquette guy is getting the call to fill out the foursome. First I said I wasn't going to play if he was playing then I thought why should I let him ruin things for me. 

Ok, this isn't a huge deal but one that bothers.  If I'm putting and it's not going to reach the hole and someone says NOPE, UH OH, thats not going to make it.  It freaking bothers me.  It's like yeas, we all know we can all see it.  You don't have to SAY IT.  My dad does it.  lololol every freakin time.  It makes me madder than actually leaving it short.

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

We have new golf carts that are geofenced so you cannot get near greens and tees. Once you get about 30 yards from the green the cart stops and you have to put it in reverse and back out. 

Then I saw some yahoo the other day who realized if you just turn the cart around you can back it anywhere you want and the cart still moves, even near the green. AAARGH!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Greenie said:

I play with the poster boy of poor etiquette. 

He stands directly behind you when you are teeing off. He takes massive divots on the tee box and fairway and very seldom does he replace them. He never fixes a ball mark on the green. He walks on your line on the green. He stands behind you while you are putting to get the line on his putt. . And he does all of this while running his mouth while other players are playing their shots or putting. He will pick up any stray ball he sees on the course. The joke with him is you grabbed that ball before it stopped rolling.

I go off on him from time to time but nothing changes.  I've played with this guy for years and he has never changed. He is part of a larger group I am in so I can't seem to get away from this guy.

He recently made the comment how come you always shoot better when I'm not playing? I replied I figure the difference is how many strokes you cost me because of your poor etiquette.

How many times has he been assaulted on the golf course?

Most everything has been covered.    

How about the guy who has been playing for 30-40 years and still has 
no etiquette.  They are out there.  

The guy who is like a 25 handicapper, who joins others clearly lower handicaps, 
who hit it 30 yards farther, but the 25 hdc wants to play a tee further back. 
They usually quit after 9 rather than move up.     

You line up your putt, take a practice stroke, address your ball then someone asks
"is my mark in your way?".         

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can’t stand it when I’m playing as a single or even a pair and the group I’m paired with tees off first then starts immediately making their way down the fairway before I even get to tee off. it’s super distracting and frustrating because then all I’m worried about is hitting them on accident. 

13 hours ago, J_Tizzle said:

I firmly believe that one of the best investments a club can make is hire a college kid and pay them $25/hr, give them one of these (https://parwest.com/product/par-aide-accufix-ball-mark-repair-tool-1092/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwy9-kBhCHARIsAHpBjHhA3JBfsP3SpaX53aaGm8OD0BDz0ZpVdqgzEzOpxDnyksgVgxqYT4YaAovaEALw_wcB), let them listen to tunes for 2-3hrs a day and just go green to green and repair marks every morning. 

While this should NOT be necessary, we all know that it would be amazing to be the first group off and see 90% of the ball marks fixed.

As a college student I wish this job existed lol. Don’t know any courses anywhere near me that would pay even close to 25. 

• Like 1

TM Qi10 (9*) | Kai’li White 60 X

TM M6 3w (15*) | HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.0

TM Stealth2+ 5w (18*) | HZRDUS Yellow 83 6.5

PXG Gen4 0311 X (20*) | HZRDUS Black 105 6.5 

PXG Gen4 0311 T (4) | DG X100

TM P730 (5-9) | DG X100 

TM MG3 (46.09, 54.13, 60.TW) | DG S300 

TM Spider X Chalk

Ball: Taylormade TP5x 

13 hours ago, J_Tizzle said:

When I was a junior, my club had this thing where at the end of practice, they'd cart two or three of us to a couple of greens, and we'd repair all the pitch marks there. It's incredible how quickly a few young lads can cover a green. In return we got unlimited range tokens.

Win-win!

My impression is, however, that the majority of the current generation of juniors would be less amenable to such an arrangement. I'm also not 100% sure it didn't violate some kind of child labour laws, but the greens were immaculate!

• Like 1
  • Cobra SpeedZone 3-wood @ 13.5 degrees - Tensei AV Blue 65
  • Nike VR Pro II 3 iron - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 4-pw Titleist 718 MB - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 50, 54, 60 Vokey SM8 - Std wedge flex
  • Odyssey Stroke Labs Double Wide
  • Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS

6 hours ago, Billy_shears said:

I can’t stand it when I’m playing as a single or even a pair and the group I’m paired with tees off first then starts immediately making their way down the fairway before I even get to tee off. it’s super distracting and frustrating because then all I’m worried about is hitting them on accident. 

That would be extremely aggravating.  Fortunately,  I have not experienced that. However,  similarly,  sometimes the cart girl sees us teeing off and to "not bother" us,  pulls up 225yds from the tee and won't move regardless how much gesturing to gtfo of the way we do. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, JetSpeed79 said:

…standing next to a guy that was probably 80+. All of a sudden he rips the loudest most aggressive fart I’ve ever heard in public. He didn’t bat an eye. Absolutely no reaction and continued perusing the wares. I don’t think it was an act. He just legitimately did not care. 

My man better be careful, there comes a time where you can’t trust those! 🤣🤣🤣

The golf cart DB-ery I’ve seen when alcohol is involved….just to start:  wheels spinning digging a shallow rut 6 feet from the green, same cart driven across the green, attempted overlanding through fairway and even green side bunkers, and cart crashed on purpose in front of 18 green — last one was with the course owner watching from the clubhouse. 

The worst etiquette problems are almost always caused by no situational awareness and/or alcohol. 

• Like 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

I could put together a list.  But ultimately, it comes down to two character traits - awareness and consideration.

If someone lacks awareness but are considerate, the awareness usually just comes from ignorance/inexperience and they'll get better over time as playing partners.  

If someone lacks both, it's going to be a slog and we're probably not compatible. 

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 7i, 9i, UW - Ping i210

SW - Ping Glide 3.0 SS 54.12

LW - Ping Glide 3.0 TS 60.06

P - SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5 
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

I like music on the course

what I don’t like is when the cart playing it can’t communicate all day because they can’t hear you from 30 feet away

Edited by cardoustie

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9