In Dublin with family. Stay extra 4 days for solo Ireland golf, or pay more, fly to Edinburgh to play in Scotland?

Will be in Ireland on an 8-day family trip next week. I Have one tee time at Royal County Down on Day-2 but otherwise won't be bringing my clubs around (Going to leave in hotel and pick up at end of trip due to family obligations and lack of space in rental car)

I am going to delay my return flight back to USA from Sunday to Thursday, which gives me four days of golf solo, planning on playing 18 holes a day, willing to drive as much as needed

Option 1: Change my return to Thursday from Dublin, and stay in Ireland. Pick up new rental car, drive around and try to hit up Portrush, Carne, Ballybunion etc etc

Option 2: Fly Dublin to Edinburgh for $50, rent car there, play around St Andrews and fly home from Edinburgh Thursday

Option 1 actually will give me a $350 flight credit on AA, less traveling overall, still amazing courses to see in Ireland/N Ireland

Option 2 will cost $400 in additional flight costs, more traveling, but can accomplish bucket list of queuing overnight at Old Course, playing North Berwick, Cruden bay etc

Can't decide!

Definitely stay in Ireland.

As mentioned earlier, there's plenty of good golf in the Dublin area. Your biggest challenge might be getting tee times with this short notice, even as a single.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Dup

Edited by hammergolf

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

9 hours ago, noahwein said:

Will be in Ireland on an 8-day family trip next week. I Have one tee time at Royal County Down on Day-2 but otherwise won't be bringing my clubs around (Going to leave in hotel and pick up at end of trip due to family obligations and lack of space in rental car)

I am going to delay my return flight back to USA from Sunday to Thursday, which gives me four days of golf solo, planning on playing 18 holes a day, willing to drive as much as needed

Option 1: Change my return to Thursday from Dublin, and stay in Ireland. Pick up new rental car, drive around and try to hit up Portrush, Carne, Ballybunion etc etc

Option 2: Fly Dublin to Edinburgh for $50, rent car there, play around St Andrews and fly home from Edinburgh Thursday

Option 1 actually will give me a $350 flight credit on AA, less traveling overall, still amazing courses to see in Ireland/N Ireland

Option 2 will cost $400 in additional flight costs, more traveling, but can accomplish bucket list of queuing overnight at Old Course, playing North Berwick, Cruden bay etc

Can't decide!

Defintely Option I I LOVE Scotland, but for me I prefer the courses in Ireland. Here are some different itineraries you could do:

Sun   Drive to Ardglass (2hrs) and play the course. Stay the night in Ardglass 

Mon  Drive to RCD (30 mins) and play. Drive to Sligo (3hrs) stay the night.

Tue   Drive to Enniscrone Golf Club (1hr) play The Dunes Course. Drive to Belmullet (1.5 hrs) stay the night there.

Wed Drive to Carne Golf Links (5 mins) play The Wild Atlantic Dunes. Drive to Swords (3.75hrs) stay the night

Thur Play early AM round at either The Island or Corballis, then drive to Dublin airport (15mins) 

Sun.   Drive to Baltray (35 mins) and play County Louth Golf Club. Then drive to Newry (1hr) spend the night there.

Mon.  Drive to RCD (40 mins) and play. Then drive to Ardglass (35 mins) spend the night there.

Tues.  Drive to Ardglass Golf Club (5 mins) and play. Then drive to Portrush (2hrs) spend the night.

Wed.   Play Portrush if available, or Portstewart, or if those are t available drive to Ballyliffin (1.5 hrs) play and stay

Thu.    Drive to Dublin airport (3.5 hrs)

Sun.   Drive to Baltray (35 mins) play County Louth, then drive to NewCastle (1.5hrs) stay the night

Mon.  Play RCD then drive to Malahide (1.5 hrs) spend the next 3 nights there

Tues. Drive to The European Club (1 hr) and play. Drive back to Malahide

Wed.  Drive to The Island (20 mins) and play

Thu.   Drive to Portmarnock (10 mins) for early AM game then drive to airport (15 mins)

Itinerary 1 has the best courses but most drive time. Carne, and Enniscrone are two of my favorite courses in the world, not just Ireland. Ardglass imho has the best opening holes in links golf. These courses also will have some open times.

Itinerary 2 also has great courses with a little less driving. However, they might not have any tee times available. 

Itinerary 3 is the most convenient with good courses as well. Once again, not sure if they would have times available. 

If you have any other questions, you can message me I’ll be happy to help.

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 2

Definitely agree that staying in Ireland makes better sense and use of time - great courses to choose from but would stay in one area - North or Dublin based to make the most of 4 days. Scotland next time! Also the 50$ flight to EdInburgh quickly becomes 300$ adding in bags etc. Enjoy yourself!

Edited by AltC

3 hours ago, AltC said:

Definitely agree that staying in Ireland makes better sense and use of time - great courses to choose from but would stay in one area - North or Dublin based to make the most of 4 days. Scotland next time! Also the 50$ flight to EdInburgh quickly becomes 300$ adding in bags etc. Enjoy yourself!

Agree. Stay between Dublin and possibly Co Down. No need to rush around the country with Portmarnock, Island, Corballis, Laytown &, Bettystown, Baltray, and two courses at Co Down. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, that is definitely a consensus on staying in Ireland and I'm going to go with it!

Am free as a bird from Sunday morning July 9 to Thursday evening July 13.

I will have already played RCD on July 2 (my one round of the week during my family trip)

Considering something like: (assuming I can get tee time as a single on short notice)

Sunday afternoon July 9: Ardglass

Monday July 10: Portrush  (36 with valley as well?)
Tuesday July 11:  Portstewart

Weds July 12 ??  Drive to Rosapenna and stay there, play St Pats and Sandy Hills?
Thurs July 13 evening drive to Dublin for morning flight on the 14th

Missing out on Ballybunion, Lahinch, Waterville, some of the top top names, but this itinerary seems pretty darn good and not crazy on the driving?

Have a great trip! Might be tough getting on Portrush and Portstewart but great if you can. If they don’t have spots available, I would STRONGLY recommend Carne, Enniscrone, Narin & Portnoo, Cruit Island, and Rosapenna. I’ve played almost all the links courses in Ireland, and those 5 are top notch and as good as any.

Head up to Letterkenny for a few days.  Book a few rounds at Ballyliffin, Rosapenna, Narin & Portnoo, Portsalon and/or Cruit Island and a day over at Portstewart or Portrush (whichever you can get on).  Your chances of getting tee times a week out up in Donegal are much better.  

• Like 1

2024 Bag

Cobra KING LTDx (9*) - MCA Tensei RAW White 6S

Cobra Radspeed 3W (13*) - MCA Kai'li White 7S

TM Stealth Plus 5W (19*) - Project X Hzrdus RDX Red 75S 

Cobra KING Tour MIM (4-G) - KBS C-Taper 120S

Sub 70 JB Forged FF (54,60L) - KBS S-Taper 120S

Odyssey White Hot Versa 7S

10 hours ago, Chanceman said:

Point being Wisconsin golf is at least as good as California golf. Just as Irish golf courses are just as good to play if not better than the Scottish variety !

Only taking the piss - of course Irish and Scottish golf are both great - in fact any golf is great if you enjoy partaking (which is a wonderful golf descriptor) - enjoy! 

Thanks everyone for the great replies.

Royal Portrush has a spot for me on Monday

I was able to get in touch with a member at Rosappena to host me at St Patrick's on Tuesday and/or Wednesday

I have Sunday, Tuesday(or)wednesday , and Thursday open.

Sunday: Portstewart or Portrush Valley? Or Ardglass?

Tuesday: Ballyliffin before going to Rosapena? Or drive straight to Rosapena for Tuesday and then try to play County Sligo and Enniscrone Weds/Thurs which both look fantastic?

Or just chill in Rosapena and play Old Tom/Sandy the 2nd day?

Edited by noahwein

1 hour ago, noahwein said:

I was able to get in touch with a member at Rosappena to host me at St Patrick's on Tuesday and/or Wednesday

Tuesday: Ballyliffin before going to Rosapena? Or drive straight to Rosapena for Tuesday and then try to play County Sligo and Enniscrone Weds/Thurs which both look fantastic?

I'm pretty sure Tuesday is maintenance day on St. Patrick's (based on my conversation with John Casey for my trip next year), so plan on Wednesday there.  Monday at Portrush (congratulations btw), Tuesday at Ballyliffin, Portsalon or Sandy Hills, Wednesday at St. Patrick's, Thursday at County Sligo would be a great way to close it out.  Such a good course that will be very different than the ones you'll play before it.  

2024 Bag

IMG_0562.JPG.732b8ddb2084e84a6aaa8ee4aa0c3d61.JPGIMG_0559.JPG.5195b801d5254182b83bad1c09846334.JPGIMG_0560.JPG.94034c064b444138319203a3598e3151.JPG

• Like 2

2024 Bag

8 hours ago, noahwein said:

If you can get Portstewart on Sunday it would be after 12:00 and would be a GREAT one to play since you’ve got Portrush on Monday. If you can’t get Portstewart, Ardglass would make a good plan B

After Portrush, make the drive to Rosapenna. Maybe play The Old Tom or Sandy Hill course in the evening. Play St. Pats the next morning. Drive to Ballina after your round. Play Carne (Wild Atlantic Links) the next morning and stay in Ballina. Next morning, play Enniscrone then drive to Dublin. They alternate the routing at Carne every other day since they have 27 holes. So you may need to flip Carne and Enniscrone depending on what day Carne has The Wild Atlantic route.

Rosses Point is a very good one, but Carne is unlike anywhere on the face of the earth. 

https://fb.watch/lv2NUwmJz0/

Edited by hammergolf

9 hours ago, noahwein said:

Portrush was a great grab - one of (maybe the) best golf courses in the world. 

Sunday - Portstewart for sure. The valley course is nice, but the two aren't even close. 

County Sligo is a GEM. The first time I played there it was only because it was on my way from North to South and I needed a stop and did not expect much. I was really wrong and loved it. Very cool amount of history to enjoy in the club house too. 

8 hours ago, ajgoodal.704 said:

I'm pretty sure Tuesday is maintenance day on St. Patrick's (based on my conversation with John Casey for my trip next year), so plan on Wednesday there.  Monday at Portrush (congratulations btw), Tuesday at Ballyliffin, Portsalon or Sandy Hills, Wednesday at St. Patrick's, Thursday at County Sligo would be a great way to close it out.  Such a good course that will be very different than the ones you'll play before it.  

Second to Rosses Point being a great place to play. 

If you are driving to Rosapenna I’d chill and relax and enjoy more golf - no need to check boxes, IMO, take it easy. There are always great golf courses you won’t get to play. If you want to play Carne I’d suggest making the trip there as “the” trip. Don’t underestimate the time/challenges of driving and try to cram too much in. And lots to see on the way to either destination - smell some roses. 

If you aren’t getting back any time you foresee - make the trip to Fife!

• Like 1

For four days there is no good reason to be galavanting around Ireland. Stay around Dublin. There is plenty of excellent golf there. Play the courses suggested by El Gringo above. That's what I would do  Portmarnock, County Louth, The Island and Corballis are the core of a memorable trip.

Edited by sabram

7 hours ago, sabram said:

For four days there is no good reason to be galavanting around Ireland. Stay around Dublin. There is plenty of excellent golf there. Play the courses suggested by El Gringo above. That's what I would do  Portmarnock, County Louth, The Island and Corballis are the core of a memorable trip.

The Island and County Louth are fantastic!  Haven’t played the others…

On 7/3/2023 at 5:52 PM, Chanceman said:

And you  could always duck down to a little course called Macreddin, pay 30 euro and feel like a bird in paradise.

I’ve played Druids Glen before the redesign, but haven’t made it to Macreddin yet. How would you compare the two? Pics look amazing on their site.

My wife having a medical issue caused some golf cancellations on our trip to Ireland last summer. I’d love to explore Northern Ireland golf and that wasn’t part of the trip anyway. Someday we’ll go back. Having said that, I’ll make a third trip to Scotland in conjunction with visiting London the next time we go overseas. 

• Like 1