Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8

8,9 Eleven 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 6&GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Ping Sigma G Ketsch B

4 minutes ago, jomatty said:

The difference is he suggested an iron in line with what the op asked for…

No he didn't. Read the OP. He asked for something more forgiving that he can play in to. He's already shooting 84 to 90 so I'll assume he's at worst an ok ball striker who plans to improve. I recommended a more forgiving club in the 223 that he can "grow into". He recommended 2 clubs designed for poorer ball strikers that need help launching the ball at the sacrifice of stopping power and consistency. He's not growing into those clubs unless he plans to get worse at golf.

1 hour ago, jomatty said:

Everyone else might disagree with you but I thought the same thing.  I’m a 2 handicap and the 0317 are a little too much for me, imho.  He should be looking at the Mizuno 225’s or jpx forged as well, not the 223’s imho.  Sure he can play anything but given his post and his average scores there is no way he is gonna have the confidence he is looking for with a very compact players cb.  
people should play what they want, and how it effects their score is not the end all be all…if a 12 cap wants to play blades or a players cavity because they enjoy it more than someth8ng with more forgiveness Im all for it, but don’t tell someone looking for forgiveness that they are as forgiving as something like the apex line.

I’m a 4 and play ZX5 4-6 and ZX7 7-PW. I just went for a PXG fitting because I’m in Maui and well, why not? The 0317 was much better for me than the T. But the P model really maintained ball speed on bad shots which the 0317 lost some. I could have gone 0317 and  maybe even MB in 8-PW but my goal was to be more consistent so I went with the P all the way through. Should have it next week.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Frank Newport said:

That's what I said. The doctor will determine the symptoms, or more specifically, what ails you and determine the treatment.  

What you feel and what is real are 2 different things. You'll tell him what YOU feel and he'll tell you what is "real" (actually happening) based on your conversation and a battery of tests. Then he or she will treat what ails you. 

I have bad news for you, that conversation you're having with your doctor is only a small part of the equation. It's why we have X-rays, MRIs, and more importantly launch monitors.

I am thinking more the angle of fitters who force GI irons on their clients because the numbers are supposedly better even though the client does not like those irons. Feel lies but feel is also real.

The OP’s request is on the surface strikes me as something of a contradiction: he says he wants clubs easier to use than his current clubs, yet he wants clubs he can grow into, which would be harder to use than his current clubs (or else he could just grow into his current clubs).

His current clubs have plenty of MOI, IIRC.  People say they hit new clubs better than say ten year old clubs, and they may, but more MOI probably isn’t the reason.  More likely it’s the cog placement and other features adapted to a loft adding, slower swing.

When this sort of question comes up (as it does everyday) I wonder whether the OP has asked himself honestly basic questions like whether he hits the ball before he hits the ground.  Then, if not, whether he wants to learn to or just maximize his current swing.  Then, whether new clubs are really likely to help much with either goal.

Every swing you make with a club that you might like because it covers your faulty swing makes it harder to ever learn a good swing.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, blades_are_life said:

I am thinking more the angle of fitters who force GI irons on their clients because the numbers are supposedly better even though the client does not like those irons. Feel lies but feel is also real.

I agree with your sentiment. I do think it's important for a client to tell a fitter whether or not he or she likes what is recommended and it's important for fitters to take that into consideration. 

I had a great fitter who was cognizant of the fact, without me specifically telling him, that I cared about the whole look of the iron. I wasn't going to buy something I didn't enjoy looking at, but I also wasn't going to buy something beautiful that I didn't have the game for. We were on the same page from beginning to end and it's why I believe that fitting was so successful.

I agree that the communication process of fitting is important especially when it comes to looks and feel of clubs. I think the performance is where the diagnostic portion of the fitting takes over and both are important to a successful fitting.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jomatty said:

That may be true for some people.  But he already has a compact players iron and wants something different/more forgiving.

I don't consider the 800 Pro a "compact player's iron" and the only current Mizuno irons I believe fall into that category are the Tours and 221s. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Frank Newport said:

I agree with your sentiment. I do think it's important for a client to tell a fitter whether or not he or she likes what is recommended and it's important for fitters to take that into consideration. 

I had a great fitter who was cognizant of the fact, without me specifically telling him, that I cared about the whole look of the iron. I wasn't going to buy something I didn't enjoy looking at, but I also wasn't going to buy something beautiful that I didn't have the game for. We were on the same page from beginning to end and it's why I believe that fitting was so successful.

I agree that the communication process of fitting is important especially when it comes to looks and feel of clubs. I think the performance is where the diagnostic portion of the fitting takes over and both are important to a successful fitting.

Well said. Like many things in life, it is about harmony and balance.

14 hours ago, Frank Newport said:

I don't consider the 800 Pro a "compact player's iron" and the only current Mizuno irons I believe fall into that category are the Tours and 221s. 

Fair enough.  
If nothing else we have given the op some different opinions he can consider.  should help him make a better decision on what is right for him.

On 7/18/2023 at 6:53 AM, Kodiak2314 said:

Just started back playing from taking a year off. Been shooting around 84 to 90. Currently play jpx 800 pro and looking for some new irons with a little more forgiveness but something I can also play into. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

ping s55. A set in great condition can be had for under 400 and you can play them from 10-pga tour

On 7/18/2023 at 7:53 AM, Kodiak2314 said:

Just started back playing from taking a year off. Been shooting around 84 to 90. Currently play jpx 800 pro and looking for some new irons with a little more forgiveness but something I can also play into. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Before anyone can give a valid opinion, please answer a few questions.  How much do you see yourself playing?  How far do you hit your 7-iron?  How old are you?  What is your miss with your 6-iron, and what is your miss with your driver.

There, now we can get started.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

On 7/18/2023 at 12:58 PM, Mobert19 said:

I’m a 4 and play ZX5 4-6 and ZX7 7-PW. I just went for a PXG fitting because I’m in Maui and well, why not? The 0317 was much better for me than the T. But the P model really maintained ball speed on bad shots which the 0317 lost some. I could have gone 0317 and  maybe even MB in 8-PW but my goal was to be more consistent so I went with the P all the way through. Should have it next week.

You like the pxg better then the srixon? They the gen 6? How did the feel compare? 

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

On 7/18/2023 at 1:30 PM, BirdieBob said:

Forgiveness you say!

image.jpeg.62c256a603b28830520fa4ae200c9fcf.jpeg

Click below for your #1 irons for forgiveness......

NEW 0311 P GEN6 Irons (pxg.com)

Funny how Golf Digest and MGS rated those exact irons almost dead last in so many categories so what are we really supposed to believe. 

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

32 minutes ago, Tiptx1122 said:

Funny how Golf Digest and MGS rated those exact irons almost dead last in so many categories so what are we really supposed to believe. 

That information was provided so that the OP could investigate for himself if the PXG irons might be to his liking.  I have found them myself to be just that...very forgiving irons.

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 8*, Vanquish 4TX // Tour 9*, Diamana WB 53X // 0311 9*, Ventus Blue+ 5X

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, KBS Tour Proto HY 95/105 S+

PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

On 7/24/2023 at 9:47 PM, BirdieBob said:

That information was provided so that the OP could investigate for himself if the PXG irons might be to his liking.  I have found them myself to be just that...very forgiving irons.

This is what was said earlier as this is so true. Don't buy too much into the marketing hype of "forgiveness" because it does not translate to better scores. Why should someone believe what some paid advertisement say's about a certain brand. The OP does need to investigate for himself plus if he is looking to buy some new irons what's wrong with the Gen 4 or Gen 5's ..nothing. What's wrong with buying last years model and saving some money or are all of last years brands out there a bad choice. PXG are forgiving but as some will say they are the best but so will someone who plays Titleist, Mizuno, Ping, Callaway, Srixon as there is no such thing as one brand the best.

The only truth one can say is their new clubs are more forgiving then last years model but even that is debatable. Demo as many as you can and come back and let us know what and why you bought what you did. Get fitted as be careful  as you can run into some very bad fitters too just like quite a few of us have had bad experiences with customer service as that is a totally different topic. This isn't to slam any particular brand as to many times when someone tells you to get this brand or that brand because it's the best or most forgiving is only trying to steer you to their brand of what they play. Their game might be on a much higher level than mine or the OP out their wanting new irons 

Edited by Tiptx1122

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

I've often read the perspective of buying clubs to grow into.  I maintain an open mind but a healthy skepticism.  Anyone run across a top teacher providing a POV on this subject? 

Ping G430 Max 10K Driver, TaylorMade Aeroburner 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 
Callaway 2015 XR 4, 5 hybrids

Titleist 716 AP1 6-GW irons

Cleveland CBX4 52, Smart Sole 4.0 58 wedges
Axis1 Rose putter

I had a stroke so I don't care what my clubs look like!  I play XXIO 12s.  I'm learning to hit the ball first in my 3rd short season, so I'm understandably making a lot of bad shots transitioning from back yard practice to the course.  I went out in the heat and humidity yesterday afternoon so I'd have the course all to myself!

To me, forgiveness is making a bad swing and having the ball roll all the way to the edge of the green.  I can do that 5 yard lob shot as well as anything else right now.

If I hit a tee shot with my 7I  or AW to take turf interaction out of the picture, the distance is very consistent.  Lots of hole high shots.  I play a high fade and had the fitter find a shaft that would help with holding greens.

Edited by ShortGolfer

13 hours ago, Tiptx1122 said:

Golf.com uses a robot for testing (somewhat objective testing); MGS uses a pool of random people with random handicaps with random skill levels with random shots, very subjective, meaning results could change on any given test (e.g. a pool of 20 players could provide vastly different results vs. another pool of 20 players with the same test). I’d just take these with a grain of salt especially knowing some of these publications are influenced from external sources (e.g. OEMs, marketing and advertising teams). 

You should only believe what you test or fit into via launch monitor data, with fitter, and (preferably) on course testing. 

26 minutes ago, HarborMike said:

Golf.com uses a robot for testing (somewhat objective testing); MGS uses a pool of random people with random handicaps with random skill levels with random shots, very subjective, meaning results could change on any given test (e.g. a pool of 20 players could provide vastly different results vs. another pool of 20 players with the same test). I’d just take these with a grain of salt especially knowing some of these publications are influenced from external sources (e.g. OEMs, marketing and advertising teams). 

You should only believe what you test or fit into via launch monitor data, with fitter, and (preferably) on course testing. 

Yep. I've had multiple experiences getting fitted for irons where a few models that are almost certainly good performers end up being horrible for me because I just struggle to hit them out of the middle (or reasonably close to the middle). It doesn't matter what any graph says if you struggle with a particular model. 

4 hours ago, dekez said:

I've often read the perspective of buying clubs to grow into.  I maintain an open mind but a healthy skepticism.  Anyone run across a top teacher providing a POV on this subject? 

I don't think many teachers would peddle this BS (unless they are also in the market to sell you clubs). I do believe in the rough categories of irons but at the same time, they also don't matter either. You can be a plus handicap and play Titleist T300 or Ping G430 irons. No problem. 

• Like 2

On 7/18/2023 at 10:33 AM, Nessism said:

I'll never understand this forum.  Dude asks for more forgiving irons than what he has, and people recommend the opposite. 🙃

The dude asked for "a little more forgiveness but SOMETHING I COULD PLAY INTO"

TBH the request is contradictory in itself........he might as well keep the same irons because the request is to eventually end up in irons "he can play into"......wouldnt these be the same irons he currently games? 

4 hours ago, tsecor said:

The dude asked for "a little more forgiveness but SOMETHING I COULD PLAY INTO"

TBH the request is contradictory in itself........he might as well keep the same irons because the request is to eventually end up in irons "he can play into"......wouldnt these be the same irons he currently games? 

Yup, irons "to play into" is a dumb concept.  Call it the golf version of the peter principal.  

The best ball striker I know uses Ping G2's.  He went to them from AP2, because they are so easy to hit.  His normal shop shape is STRAIGHT.  

Edited by Nessism
  • Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"