New Graphite Design VF shafts - 2023 3M Open

GolfWRX_Spotted

22 hours ago, mattman said:

Posted in the GT thread on clubtecs, but going to x-post here because I think it’s noteworthy and this is a more active thread due to new GD release interest. Would be curious to hear opinions from people who’ve hit both. EI curves indicate VF and Diamana GT are highly similar profiles. If anything GT has an ever so slightly less prominent mid-dip.

B676311E-5B9E-456F-840A-046D59C47818.jpeg

3583FC45-0E0B-41A4-8C50-1F499747879A.jpeg

Thanks for this. Saved me some time and money. I had a GT in my TSR that I never could get to work. Profile just didn't jive with my swing. 

• Like 2

Posted in the GT thread on clubtecs, but going to x-post here because I think it’s noteworthy and this is a more active thread due to new GD release interest. Would be curious to hear opinions from people who’ve hit both. EI curves indicate VF and Diamana GT are highly similar profiles. If anything GT has an ever so slightly less prominent mid-dip.

Thanks for this. Saved me some time and money. I had a GT in my TSR that I never could get to work. Profile just didn't jive with my swing. 

On 1/31/2024 at 8:13 AM, mattman said:

I note that the VF EL Area for the 50s (57g) is 16 whereas the EL for the GT 50S (57g) is only 14....ie less stiffness overall.

Edited by BirdieBob
  • Like 1

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 8*, 9* and 10.5*,  Diamana WB 53X / Ventus Blue+ 5X / Vanquish 4TX

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

On 1/31/2024 at 10:56 AM, eric61 said:

This is super interesting, and I don’t think it’s a crazy comparison.

This isn’t quite apples to apples. I’m 103-104 swing speed, so not as fast as a lot of folks here, but I hit the VF 6S and the made-for Diamana T+ (which is supposedly a very similar profile to the GT, just I’d imagine using less premium materials) a couple days ago back-to-back … and I did think they felt similar. The Diamana T+ felt more active in the mid-section to me, but both had pretty stable handles and tips, and I was seeing similar launch characteristics and shot shapes from them. I’d say VF was a little more linear but it wasn’t at all like swinging a board, there’s definitely some feel there.

I liked the T+ well enough that I’ve ordered both it in a 60S and the real-deal GT 60S for a QI10 Max. I also have a Paradym Ai Smoke Max with a VF 6S ordered, so I can weigh in more once they arrive.

I think @phizzy30 has or has at one point had the VF in driver and GT in a fairway wood. He’d have more insight on this point, especially for higher-speed folks.

I actually have the VF in driver and GT in 3 metal right now, lol.  I've tested both in opposite heads as well.  VF feels more linear overall whereas the GT has a slight kick to it in the mid.  Both are super smooth.  I'd say launch/spin are similar.  GT has a softer tip but a firmer handle compared to the VF if you look at the EI profiles.  GT seems to be a little more stable however, I see slightly higher ball speeds with the VF. 

• Like 3

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

22 hours ago, mliedtke02 said:

I have had both the vf and get in my driver and woods.  I like them both because if some similarities, however the VF is more stable throughout, where the GT has kick you can feel coming from the mid section that is different than the VF.

Yes, the GT kicks in the mid whereas the VF feels more linear but you can feel a slight bend just under the handle. 

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

6 hours ago, lbsc1985 said:

Was randomly looking at custom builds for the new Taylormade driver on their website and noted that when I selected the VF it says it won't s*** until May 2024--anyone know what's up with that? I thought this shaft was in production...

lol of course it's in production...taylormade just chose to drag their feet and not order it in time for the Qi release. All the other OEMs have it.

• Like 1

AITD MAX  10.5° + UB6 AIMAX 16.5° + 21° + 24° + UB6+7+8 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / JWS RW + MODUS120 / Too many putters idk

Tiger cleared out their stock of 6X for now 😅

:titleist-small: TSi2 10 (A4) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD VF-6X

:cobra-small: Speedzone 14.5 (13.5) w/ Tensei Blue AV 65S

:titleist-small: TSi2 18 (D4) w/ Tensei Blue AV Raw 65S 

:callaway-small: Paradym Hybrid 21 (+1) w/ Project X Hzrdus Silver 75S 

:mizuno-small: Pro 223 5-PW w/ Nippon Modus 3 115S

:taylormade-small: MG3 52(51)/56 SB :vokey-small: SM9 60.08 M 

:cameron-small: Phantom X 5.5 :taylormade-small: 2024 TP5X

:footjoy-small: Pure Touch :footjoy-small: Metalwood Field LX

15 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

I actually have the VF in driver and GT in 3 metal right now, lol.  I've tested both in opposite heads as well.  VF feels more linear overall whereas the GT has a slight kick to it in the mid.  Both are super smooth.  I'd say launch/spin are similar.  GT has a softer tip but a firmer handle compared to the VF if you look at the EI profiles.  GT seems to be a little more stable however, I see slightly higher ball speeds with the VF. 

You sell your ventus yet? 😉🤣

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Yes, the GT kicks in the mid whereas the VF feels more linear but you can feel a slight bend just under the handle. 

Interesting. I wonder if the small differences in profile make the VF feel more linear or if it’s a materials thing. 

Titleist TSR2 10* - Speeder Evo VI 661 X

TM SIM2 Ti 15* - Tensei AV Raw White 75 TX

TM M5 Ti 19* - Tour AD DI 8 X

TM P7MC 4-P - X100

Ping Glide PF 50*, Epon Tour M 56*, 60*- Modus 125 W

Ping Anser 2

Played around in the front yard this morning with the VF 6s in the Smoke Max head and it was surprising to me the UB 6s "seemed" to feel stiffer in the same head, only hit a couple of balls with each but the VF felt excellent  and seemed to load easier than the UB.

Now I have really enjoyed the UB all this past summer so if the VF gives me a little bit of something over the UB that will be a real treat. 

Playing a super tight Course on Sunday, so a trail by fire for the 1st time out.

• Like 2

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX CB  5-11 Steelfiber i95 r

Chikara 54* Steelfiber 110 s

Chikara 58* Steelfiber 110 s

SLED # 1  35.5

3 hours ago, Gtyler14 said:

You sell your ventus yet? 😉🤣

Trade in.  Debating on picking up a Diamana WB as well, lol. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mattman said:

Interesting. I wonder if the small differences in profile make the VF feel more linear or if it’s a materials thing. 

Could be either but I think it's more of a EI profile thing.  For example, most shafts that have a true whiteboard EI profile feel linear however there's a slight unloading sensation underneath the handle IMO.  Diamana PD, Ahina, VF, Kai'li white, etc. 

5 hours ago, Gtyler14 said:

I think I’m going to order one in the next few days

It essentially looks like a GT on paper with a stiffer mid.  Very intriguing.  Some of the mashers on tour have it in their bag like Woodland and Champ.  It's also supposed to be the lowest launching/spinning in their entire 2024 line up which isn't exactly what I'm looking for either.  The PD was low launch/spin enough for me.  Anyways, let us know how it goes. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pdiddy3 said:

Got a few more coming in, but also have the denali black coming in. Anyone hit these 2 and can compare? I know the denali won't be as stiff as a hzrdus, but I was figuring it would be very close to the VF or XC. I may also throw a linq black in the mix in the 8 degree cobra I'm ordering!!!

Haven't tested the denali black yet but the Lin-q black is pretty linear and stout without feeling too boardy.  VF feels smoother than pretty much any mid-low/low shaft that I've tested. 

Edited by phizzy30

On 2/1/2024 at 4:40 PM, JohnnyHangs said:

Has anyone had a chance to directly test the X vs TX? 

Well, not directly. A couple of months ago I tried the 60X at my local shop, that was the heaviest VF they had to demo.  I found it to be looser that I anticipated it to be when I waggled it.  I decided to go with the 60g TX and had that ordered (I was playing a 70g X Tensei but wanted to try a lighter shaft). When the shaft arrived I had it trimmed to .5" longer than standard and choke down when I tested it.  It felt, to me, similar to the X but with fewer misses to the left.  I decided to have it tipped .5" to be brought to standard length and after that it was slightly firmer than before.  This VF was bought to be used on my TSR3.  

My previous shaft was a Tensei AV White 75 X (made for Callaway) that I pulled from my Rogue to use on my TSR3.  That shaft was stock and is stiffer feeling than the TX VF. 

At the time of tipping the TX VF I felt that the X VF could have worked if tipped more than the .5" but the TX was less prone to left misses.  I now can take the easiest swings with the TX and still get great results or really lean into it and not lose the feeling of where the club head is in my swing.  Now that I've used the TX for a couple of months, I don't think I would have as many left misses as I initially did with the X if I were to try it again.  The GD VF is a very well designed shaft, I used to think I would only be using "boardier" shafts but they made a very "smooth" shaft that's easy to control.  

I still like the firm feeling of shots with the Tensei White, but I game the GD VF. 

Hope this helps man, these shafts are expensive 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 9* GD VF 6TX

Titleist TSR3 15* Tensei White 70X

Cobra KingTec 19* MMT 80X

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 4-GW X100

Mizuno S23 56-10 X100

Mizuno S23 60-06 X100

(figuring it out) Odyssey Ai One Milled Eleven 33" 

SC Super Select Golo6 33"

18 minutes ago, TheFatBackBand said:

Well, not directly. A couple of months ago I tried the 60X at my local shop, that was the heaviest VF they had to demo.  I found it to be looser that I anticipated it to be when I waggled it.  I decided to go with the 60g TX and had that ordered (I was playing a 70g X Tensei but wanted to try a lighter shaft). When the shaft arrived I had it trimmed to .5" longer than standard and choke down when I tested it.  It felt, to me, similar to the X but with fewer misses to the left.  I decided to have it tipped .5" to be brought to standard length and after that it was slightly firmer than before.  This VF was bought to be used on my TSR3.  

My previous shaft was a Tensei AV White 75 X (made for Callaway) that I pulled from my Rogue to use on my TSR3.  That shaft was stock and is stiffer feeling than the TX VF. 

At the time of tipping the TX VF I felt that the X VF could have worked if tipped more than the .5" but the TX was less prone to left misses.  I now can take the easiest swings with the TX and still get great results or really lean into it and not lose the feeling of where the club head is in my swing.  Now that I've used the TX for a couple of months, I don't think I would have as many left misses as I initially did with the X if I were to try it again.  The GD VF is a very well designed shaft, I used to think I would only be using "boardier" shafts but they made a very "smooth" shaft that's easy to control.  

I still like the firm feeling of shots with the Tensei White, but I game the GD VF. 

What is your swing speed and transition like?  

Also I am curious as to whether the TX is the perverbial “different animal” than the X which is so common with shaft OEM’s. 

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Mizuno STZ Max 230 15.0 MCA Kaili Blue 70X

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cleveland RTX Full Face 2 58/8 DG Spinner

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5S 34” (Yes the Rife Phenom.Z 34” of 10+ years may be retired) 

1 minute ago, Lemonde said:

Also I am curious as to whether the TX is the perverbial “different animal” than the X which is so common with shaft OEM’s. 

My swing speed is 117, and my transition is smooth.  

I didn't think that the TX was a different animal than the X, this is comparing the 60gram versions of the shaft.  I haven't had the chance to try the 70g versions, but after using the 60g for a while I'd like to try one of the heavier ones out.  Initially I'd be lying if I said I didn't have some buyer's remorse, but after tipping and a very patient range session it kind of went away.  I very much enjoy the 60g TX VF and have no thoughts of switching back to my Tensei (which I still like). 

I remember not liking the S version of the Tensei compared with the X, and I've never hit the TX version of the Tensei so I can't comment on that.  

Titleist TSR3 9* GD VF 6TX

Titleist TSR3 15* Tensei White 70X

Cobra KingTec 19* MMT 80X

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 4-GW X100

Mizuno S23 56-10 X100

Mizuno S23 60-06 X100

(figuring it out) Odyssey Ai One Milled Eleven 33" 

SC Super Select Golo6 33"

2 minutes ago, TheFatBackBand said:

My swing speed is 117, and my transition is smooth.  

I didn't think that the TX was a different animal than the X, this is comparing the 60gram versions of the shaft.  I haven't had the chance to try the 70g versions, but after using the 60g for a while I'd like to try one of the heavier ones out.  Initially I'd be lying if I said I didn't have some buyer's remorse, but after tipping and a very patient range session it kind of went away.  I very much enjoy the 60g TX VF and have no thoughts of switching back to my Tensei (which I still like). 

I remember not liking the S version of the Tensei compared with the X, and I've never hit the TX version of the Tensei so I can't comment on that.  

👍 

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5S 34” (Yes the Rife Phenom.Z 34” of 10+ years may be retired) 

3 hours ago, Lemonde said:

When it comes to GD shafts, I feel as though the TX versions are different animals.  First of all, TX, CPM about 8-12 cycles on average higher than X.  TX seems to also be more stable as well.  TX for DI/TP/VF feel more stout than X as well.  UB and HD, not so much, IMO.  

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

When it comes to GD shafts, I feel as though the TX versions are different animals.  First of all, TX, CPM about 8-12 cycles on average higher than X.  TX seems to also be more stable as well.  TX for DI/TP/VF feel more stout than X as well.  UB and HD, not so much, IMO.  

Great insight and fairly typical for most OEM’s.  Thank you sir. 

21 hours ago, TheFatBackBand said:

This is modern day poetry - Thx for the detailed response, and yes it's indeed very helpful. In hindsight, would you stick with your choice or go with an X tipped an inch or so? 

I definitely do not enjoy the left side of the course when missing, but I also have learned to enjoy some more feel in shafts. I'm similar to you speed wise,  around 120 avg but more tempo focused now than I used to be. I also play shorter at around 44.5-44.75 total which stiffens it up a bit I find 

Just now, StillCantPutt said:

Have any higher swing speed players 120mph+, compared this to the Ventus Black TR? That’s what I’m playing right now and I can’t imagine this shaft would out perform it. 

I had the TR Black which went head to head with the VF late last year.

TR Black = More stable/anti-left.  Lower ball speeds.  Lower launch/spin. 

VF =  Super smooth, high ball speeds but dispersion pattern is wider especially left. 

Edited by phizzy30