2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Bryson with a Krank driver

Bryson credited the woods switch with the improved play this weekend. Regardless of how polarizing he is, pretty cool endorsement for Krank between him winning and shooting 58 with it being his first week in the bag. 

• Like 4

Current Setup:

LH

Krank Formula Fire LD 4 degree Paderson Kinetixx Velocity D30+

Cobra F9 tour 13.5 turned to 12.5 Aldila RIPX 85TX

3-P Ping i210 LA golf L-Series 6 Flex

50 Ping glide forged 4.0 Lagp L-Series 6 flex

56&60 Ping glide forged pro La golf L series 6 flex

PXG Battle Ready II Blackjack double bend

Hey listen I don't care if I was wrong as he is wrong to for bad mouthing a brand that bent over backwards for him too. I don't care that he won and don't still don't care what driver he is using. Good for Bryson Time for the fan boys to go out and buy a Krank driver now I guess. Oh wait maybe it was because his putter was what really helped him to win

Edited by Tiptx1122
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

Bryson used a 6˚ driver today. Here is a post from Krank Golf regarding the club head he used.

krankgolf @tjallisongolf thank you for making that post. The Driver used was a FIRE LD 6 degree. He also has a FIRE PRO 7.5 degree. They both are on the USGA Conforming Driver List. The FIRE X and FIRE XX drivers are for moderate to slow swing speeds only. They have thinner faced. They are not on the USGA Non Conforming list. They are simply non submitted driver for testing. Slow swing speeds should not be hitting the same face thickness as Bryson. Simple science. Fair Driver Face Spring Effect for all swing speeds!!! An absolute game changer for all moderate to slow swing speeds.

Edited by pdxhak
  • Like 4

Taylor Made BRNR 11.5*

Taylor Made Stealth 2 + 5 wood

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Edel SMS 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I've been a Krank driver for the last number of years. It's two models older than the one Dechambeau put in his bag, but almost identical.

The roll of the face for the Krank (sole to crown) has quite a bit less curvature than all of OEM drivers I've used in the past. So, if you measure the loft low or high on the face it's not so different vs. a driver with lots of curvature. 

Tom Wishon has employed less roll in his driver's for some time as well. He calls it GRT or gradual roll technology. Less roll equals more consistent launch on balls struck low or high on the face.

No weld seams on the face with Krank or Wishon since they are both cup face. This is good for forgiveness since the face can flex more on off center strikes.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Cubs_Fan_79 said:

This response didn't age well lol

I also said good for Bryson that he won as I don't care what Pro is using what driver...His irons and putter really helped him to win but no one says anything about what irons or putter he was using.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

3 hours ago, Tiptx1122 said:

I also said good for Bryson that he won as I don't care what Pro is using what driver...His irons and putter really helped him to win but no one says anything about what irons or putter he was using.

Drive for sho, putt for $3.6MM, lol.

I mean sure he's kinda bananas day in and day out, but maybe what he is saying that once they get over so fast of a ball speed he needs something special, so that would make sense with the Krank.  But its odd to see a LD driver being played in a tournament, but hey whatever works.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/4/2023 at 2:20 AM, nicpamchoulman said:

Have no experience of Krank .... Anyone gaming one?

Not now, but they’ve been around for years. I recall the quality and performance was quite good even though the woods looked pretty cheap and cheesy. They now make fairway woods down to a 15 wood. What?  Anyhow, Bryson's scoring doesn't lie, I'm sure the clubs are still good, but the appearance and web site is still rough.

Overall I can’t see myself playing a club called Krank. I can see it now, “need the D here, gimmie the Krank!” 😂😂😂

Edited by mshills

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

• 2 weeks later...

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

On 9/27/2023 at 5:17 PM, Drrussell said:

Just ordered mine. Stiff. 1” short. 9 degree loft.

Let us know how you like it. 

Bryson keeps alluding to how it’s helping him… makes me think this is a covert sponsorship deal masquerading as a free agency choice.

Either way he’s playing great with it compared to the Stealth and all the cobras since the LTD 

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

3 hours ago, kasting333 said:

Bryson keeps alluding to how it’s helping him… makes me think this is a covert sponsorship deal masquerading as a free agency choice.

Either way he’s playing great with it compared to the Stealth and all the cobras since the LTD 

I have a 6 degree LD head and have been shocked at how much better it is on misses. I don't know if the bulge and roll is better suited for the higher ss player but my high toe miss is a ton better with it then anything else I've had in the past 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Current Setup:

LH

Krank Formula Fire LD 4 degree Paderson Kinetixx Velocity D30+

Cobra F9 tour 13.5 turned to 12.5 Aldila RIPX 85TX

3-P Ping i210 LA golf L-Series 6 Flex

50 Ping glide forged 4.0 Lagp L-Series 6 flex

56&60 Ping glide forged pro La golf L series 6 flex

PXG Battle Ready II Blackjack double bend

On 10/6/2023 at 6:11 AM, kasting333 said:

Will do. I don’t think it’s a sponsorship deal, yet. That being said, Cobra tried to extend their contract and with LIV, there are other levels of sign-off and the PIF has to agree to the terms. From the articles that were released before he left Cobra they said they submitted paperwork and never heard back. It is possible that it’s just working through the system. 

I am super excited gonna have a new driver and new irons very soon.

• Like 1

No professional golfer will endorse a product for free like that. They might mention something generic, but a branded item? That would be stupid. And rightly so; nobody should use your likeness to sell their products without compensating you. That's well outside "fair use" since it helps create profit. So of course he's got a deal with them. If he didn't, they'd be getting sued.

Bryson's photo appears on Krank's website. That's not free for Krank, and Bryson is being compensated. End of story. There's nothing wrong with that.

Or do you think NASCAR Drivers wear a bunch of corporate logos because they like the colors? 😄

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven (Still Acclimating)

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

I got mine yesterday. Need to make a couple adjustments with loft and lie, but I tested the idea of hitting it all over the face yesterday and I was hitting the ball pretty darn straight. 

When I felt the hit, I knew the first couple were low toe. I was really surprised by the flight as the first couple swings would normally have been my diving hook. 

Sample was too small, but I will probably get out a few times this week to experiment. 

Because I am an idiot, I put the heavy jumbo max grip on yesterday. I will play it a few times and then I will switch to the ultralight (which is the same grip I have used on Cobra). When I switch, it will give me a good apples to apples comparison. 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2023 at 2:44 PM, nathans said:

I've been a Krank driver for the last number of years. It's two models older than the one Dechambeau put in his bag, but almost identical.

The roll of the face for the Krank (sole to crown) has quite a bit less curvature than all of OEM drivers I've used in the past. So, if you measure the loft low or high on the face it's not so different vs. a driver with lots of curvature. 

Tom Wishon has employed less roll in his driver's for some time as well. He calls it GRT or gradual roll technology. Less roll equals more consistent launch on balls struck low or high on the face.

No weld seams on the face with Krank or Wishon since they are both cup face. This is good for forgiveness since the face can flex more on off center strikes.

I used to compete in Long Drive and have always known Krank drivers, any model, to have far more bulge AND roll than any oem.  They are also MUCH harder. They are far under USGA COR. This works extremely well for high swing speeds OR any gofer that values accuracy over distance. They are very forgiving. 

On 10/9/2023 at 1:36 PM, Mikey_HACKilroy said:

No professional golfer will endorse a product for free like that. They might mention something generic, but a branded item? That would be stupid. And rightly so; nobody should use your likeness to sell their products without compensating you. That's well outside "fair use" since it helps create profit. So of course he's got a deal with them. If he didn't, they'd be getting sued.

Bryson's photo appears on Krank's website. That's not free for Krank, and Bryson is being compensated. End of story. There's nothing wrong with that.

Or do you think NASCAR Drivers wear a bunch of corporate logos because they like the colors? 😄

I used to compete in Long Drive and I would put money on the fact that all Bryson gets is free gear from them.

They are a small company and I don't know of them ever paying anyone to play their gear, free, yes. Cash on top is possible but unlikely.

The heads are hard and well within USGA COR. They have a lot of bulge and roll. That combined with the hardness fits his swing well. The heads are extremely forgiving for high swing speeds. 

I would also wager unless an OEM copies Krank's ideas on bulge and roll combined with hardness, and PAYS him he will never switch.

I understood his complaints about his driver and knew Krank would work for him. Given his connections to LongDrive, I am surprised it took this long.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2023 at 9:15 AM, Tbone107 said:

I have a 6 degree LD head and have been shocked at how much better it is on misses. I don't know if the bulge and roll is better suited for the higher ss player but my high toe miss is a ton better with it then anything else I've had in the past 

If you have a high SS Krank is the only way to go. I used to compete in Long Drive and I have a driver that has many thousands of hits on it. Hits from when my swing speed with a long drive club was 145. I have bulge and roll gauges and this head is still where I bought it. 

Look up bulge and roll and "gear effect" for an explanation of why this works.

10.jpg

11.jpg

15 minutes ago, fromearth said:

I used to compete in Long Drive and I would put money on the fact that all Bryson gets is free gear from them.

They are a small company and I don't know of them ever paying anyone to play their gear, free, yes. Cash on top is possible but unlikely.

I don't doubt you at all.

Though, still, consideration in the form of drivers at least counts as compensation. Krank having him using their equipment does bring them some exposure. Right now, Bryson fans everywhere are considering Krank drivers. That's at least reasonable exposure, and so if anything I would hope he'd get some sort of royalty for clicked advertisements or something like that.

Money? Well, I don't know him, so I can't exactly ask him nor would he even answer me (let alone receive my inquiry LOL). 😄

But if they use him for advertisement, gain sales, and all he gets are free drivers then he's getting ripped off.

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

On 10/12/2023 at 7:46 PM, Mikey_HACKilroy said:

I don't doubt you at all.

Though, still, consideration in the form of drivers at least counts as compensation. Krank having him using their equipment does bring them some exposure. Right now, Bryson fans everywhere are considering Krank drivers. That's at least reasonable exposure, and so if anything I would hope he'd get some sort of royalty for clicked advertisements or something like that.

Money? Well, I don't know him, so I can't exactly ask him nor would he even answer me (let alone receive my inquiry LOL). 😄

But if they use him for advertisement, gain sales, and all he gets are free drivers then he's getting ripped off.

Except he’s hitting the driver better than he ever has. He might just be playing it because it gives him the best chance to win.

Uhh.... I wasn't questioning his performance, but in the realm of marketing most Athletes aren't going to allow a public brand to use their likeness for free. Unless you think Patrick Mahomes would allow Wilson to throw his picture up on a billboard to sell footballs for free......

So why would Bryson?

Who knows, maybe golf really is that irrelevant? Yet I don't think golf is irrelevant.

But it's just my take; I don't know any more than anybody here.

4 minutes ago, Mikey_HACKilroy said:

Uhh.... I wasn't questioning his performance, but in the realm of marketing most Athletes aren't going to allow a public brand to use their likeness for free. Unless you think Patrick Mahomes would allow Wilson to throw his picture up on a billboard to sell footballs for free......

So why would Bryson?

Who knows, maybe golf really is that irrelevant? Yet I don't think golf is irrelevant.

But it's just my take; I don't know any more than anybody here.

Bryson has been fairly consistent about playing what works for him, no matter what anyone else thinks, no matter what the sponsorship money is.

He publicly criticized Cobra because they didn't have a driver head that fit his aggressive transition and extreme swing speed.  Golfers who are in it for their sponsors don't do those things.

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

I stand by my opinion.

I don't recall attacking Mr. DeChambeau's honor. Nor did I call him out for anything at all. I did say if they're advertising and using his name for sales then he's getting ripped off. So I felt like he's probably not a fool and would be getting something.

If it really is just free drivers, then so be it. That equates compensation and if that's enough for him that's fine.

I just found it unlikely.

Does anybody really have a problem with that? 😄