2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Comparisons by forum members between the Mizuno and Srixon irons

wings02

I owned the OG ZX5s and loved them.

I got excited about the 923 Hot Metals after going through a Mizuno Shaft Optimizer session with the HMPs. I went through a fitting session at Second Swing. The numbers in the fitting session were fantastic.  I ordered the standard HMs with the shaft that was the best fit (DG 105 S300).  I opted for a bit more forgiveness in a package that didn't seem (in the store) to be that much bigger.

I just didn't jive with them at all on the course. I take a pretty good divot and the V-sole is just perfect for my swing.  The Hot Metals felt harsh and the distances felt inconsistent.  I'm a 13.6. My short game is the weakest part of the game. I rely on iron play to save my bacon.  It just didn't work for me with the 923 HMs.  They also felt a bit bulky compared to my old ZX5s.

I wish I got the HMPs instead.  The MSO fitter felt they were the Mizuno equivalent to the ZX5.

I used the 90 day playability deal and got some Mkii Z5s with the Modus 105s I'd used before.  (4th best shaft for me on the MSO).  From the very first swing at the range, they were perfect.  They feel much better than the Mizzies.  They are forgiving. They are accurate.  The v-sole is witchcraft.

Everyone is different, but for the the ZX5s were head and shoulders above the Mizzies.

IMG_8819.jpg

• Like 1

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

Two completely different irons as far as turf interaction goes.  I played Mizzy JPX919s and loved them.  I tried my buddies ZX5/7 combo set and just did not care for the way the clubs worked for me.  Hit them both on grass and see which works best for you.

• Like 2

"Obviously you're not a golfer." ~ The Dude
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it
." ~ Ferris Bueller
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight." ~ Ben Hogan

Woods:    Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5* (D,-1) - VA Composites Slay 65 Four | Callaway Rogue ST Max 15* 3W - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S | Callaway Rogue ST Max 20* HeavenWood - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S

Irons:      Artisan FC 4-P - Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff | Mizuno MX-20 4-P DG300S (when I am not getting along with the Artisans)

Wedges:  Artisan 50*, 54*, 58* - DG300S

Putter:     Artisan 0920 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie | Artisan 0220 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie

Ball:         Titleist Pro V1 | Bridgestone Tour B X

20 hours ago, mantan said:

I owned the OG ZX5s and loved them.

I got excited about the 923 Hot Metals after going through a Mizuno Shaft Optimizer session with the HMPs. I went through a fitting session at Second Swing. The numbers in the fitting session were fantastic.  I ordered the standard HMs with the shaft that was the best fit (DG 105 S300).  I opted for a bit more forgiveness in a package that didn't seem (in the store) to be that much bigger.

I just didn't jive with them at all on the course. I take a pretty good divot and the V-sole is just perfect for my swing.  The Hot Metals felt harsh and the distances felt inconsistent.  I'm a 13.6. My short game is the weakest part of the game. I rely on iron play to save my bacon.  It just didn't work for me with the 923 HMs.  They also felt a bit bulky compared to my old ZX5s.

I wish I got the HMPs instead.  The MSO fitter felt they were the Mizuno equivalent to the ZX5.

I used the 90 day playability deal and got some Mkii Z5s with the Modus 105s I'd used before.  (4th best shaft for me on the MSO).  From the very first swing at the range, they were perfect.  They feel much better than the Mizzies.  They are forgiving. They are accurate.  The v-sole is witchcraft.

Everyone is different, but for the the ZX5s were head and shoulders above the Mizzies.

IMG_8819.jpg

Which iron is this?

16 minutes ago, Mobert19 said:

Which iron is this?

it was a 923 7-iron, but the loft (28.5) is closer to ZX5 6-iron.  So much so that I bought a 6-GW set.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

On 8/18/2023 at 2:28 PM, Maroon_19 said:

Two completely different irons as far as turf interaction goes.  I played Mizzy JPX919s and loved them.  I tried my buddies ZX5/7 combo set and just did not care for the way the clubs worked for me.  Hit them both on grass and see which works best for you.

Spot on.  The Srixon V-sole is a love it / hate it thing. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10K Driver, TaylorMade Aeroburner 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 
Callaway 2015 XR 4, 5 hybrids

Titleist 716 AP1 6-GW irons

Cleveland CBX4 52, Smart Sole 4.0 58 wedges
Axis1 Rose putter

I own a single 919 HMP in i5 version. Do not like it at all, very harsh feeling. 
my Srixon 785 set is a love thing, not because of the sole, more because of the size of the head. Nice big sized but not bulky and ugly.  But ZX 4 are different animals I have no idea about the felling of them. 

Edited by Streuner

Had mp20 hmb that I sold and upgraded to hot metal pro 923. Played them for 1 round hated them. Did not like the jacked lofts the size the look turf interaction everything really. This is coming from someone who loves mizzy irons. Just got in my zx5 mk2 irons they look amazing I have not played them yet going out tmw so I will update you how I like them. Honestly I love Mizzy and would go back if I don’t like the Srixon but at my fitting the zx5 was a great balance of distance feel and spin. The problem I think with irons is the shaft/ head combo and they are just so personal that any of our opinions or thoughts may be total opposite for you. 

I haven't hit the 923 hot metals but used to play a set of JPX 900 forged. Currently I game a set of ZX5's (the OG, not mkii). Ultimately the Srixons just check more boxes for me and I will continue to play Srixons going forward even though Mizuno makes fantastic irons.

As you've probably noticed in the previous responses, it is going to be entirely personal. From my experience though, Mizuno and Srixon make some of the best feeling irons on the market. 

Driver: Srixon ZX5 LS 8.5 - Hzrdus Black Gen 4

3 Wood: Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White 75

Irons: Srixon ZX5 (3-P) - Modus 115

Wedges: Cleveland CBX Zipcore - Modus Wedge

Putter: TBD

I was actually hitting both these irons on the range tonight.  I have the MKII ZX5s, and my buddy has the mizunos.  I've always loved the mizuno irons,  but to me.  The Srixon just feel softer,  and I was able to fight them down easier.  I've also tried the new titleist t150s and I won't be switching anytime soon.  I love the V sole, and the consistency of these irons.  

I’ve owned darn near every MP series iron for the last 15 years as well as the z785s and zx7s. It’s all about the sole design. If you like low bounce, the Mizuno will be the choice. The Srixons are unique, though. 

I HATED the srixons when I first tried them. They felt bad and just didn’t do much for me. Every few swings, though, I would hit a decent shot - didn’t feel great but gave me a great trajectory and would be a full club longer than expected. I tweaked the lie angle and found magic. Once I got the z785s dialed in for lie angle, they turned special. GREAT feel and the turf interaction was sublime. I enjoyed the zx7s, but never as much as the z785s. The v-sole played like those irons were on rails. Perfect turf interaction - just a perfect skim over the grass - with outstanding feel, distance, and direction. The srixons never dug even a little once I got them to specs. I never should have gotten rid of them!

Try them both on grass and see which you prefer. Since going to the srixons, I’ve never found a Mizuno that I liked quite as much. 

But I’m quite certain I’ll keep trying!!!

I have been playing Srixon irons since the Z745.  I have tried SO many other sets in that time up till now and my bar is ALWAYS the Srixon 7 series.  Each one has been phenomenal.  I did venture into the MP 223 and really liked them but for me the leading edge grind always wins out.  I started getting some hand and arm pain with the Mizunos and quickly went back to the Srixons and feel like I never should have left.  The 923 HM are great irons if you need that help, and they are stronger lofted which sends missiles but I think I would still choose the overall playability of the ZX5 if I had to choose one.  These two irons may be in different categories, too.  The ZX4 may be more along the lines of the 923 HM, and have also been a really good option for people looking for more distance and forgiveness..  

IMO, Srixon is the new Mizuno, without fully discrediting Mizuno... The feel, the looks, the playability... they have it all just in a better design.  

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10* GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 3H  Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless 34"

Tried 923 HM and HMP and almost pulled the trigger. Ended up cleaning up a used set of Z785's on a whim and they ended up in the bag. Like others have said, the VT sole is wizardry. My hunch is when these wear out, I'll be in something like a ZX5/ZX7 combo.

Callaway Paradym TD 10.5*

Callaway Paradym TD 15*

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Srixon ZX 4H

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-A

Callaway JAWS 52, 58

Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2

The JPX Hot Metal irons are not analogous to the ZX-5.  The JPX Forged would be a much more apt comparison.  They're very similar in construction and have the same lofts.  The JPX HM, and HM Pro to a slightly lesser extent, are more on the SGI end of the spectrum with very strong lofts, wide soles, cast construction (vs. forged), and large heads.

Edited by forrester_fire
  • Like 2

"They're very similar in construction and have the same lofts.  The JPX HM, and HM Pro to a slightly lesser extent, are more on the SGI end of the spectrum with very strong lofts, wide soles, cast construction (vs. forged), and large heads."

Edited 26 minutes ago by forrester_fire

Are they really any smaller than the HM model? Seem very close to me by eye. 

i have played the Z785 since the first they launched a few years ago. i paid $599 for 5-PW and that was around retail, welllll below other major iron manufacturers. Fast forward to today, Srixon iron prices hovers around the same as other manufacturers, prob because they know their irons are as good if not better than most other major irons.

This is just my personal opinion. Others may vary. I have hit many irons over the years and i have yet to come across a forged iron that feels as good as Srixons. Mizuno's included. The combination of V-sole, if they suit you, along with its feel/sound/construction/material is unlike any other irons. Its just CRISPIER. That is always the word i use when describing Srixon 7 series line up.. a "crispier" sound/feel. 

its a good feeling when you have zero desire to hit other irons on the market because you love your srixons that much.

• Like 3
TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

On 8/23/2023 at 3:03 PM, POKeefe said:

Tried 923 HM and HMP and almost pulled the trigger. Ended up cleaning up a used set of Z785's on a whim and they ended up in the bag. Like others have said, the VT sole is wizardry. My hunch is when these wear out, I'll be in something like a ZX5/ZX7 combo.

Current set 5-PW.  5 iron is ZX5.  6-PW, ZX7.  Shafts are Project X LZ 6.0 steel.  This set has been fantastic for me.  Played a number of MIzzys over the years.  Think the feel of the Srixons is just as soft... or softer.  What has sold me on the Srixons are the progressive grooves in the ZX7's.  Our greens can be less than receptive.  From 8 to PW, these grab almost as good as my old Eye 2's.  

Understand that advice is from a old codger, soon to turn 77.  Buddies keep telling me to move to graphite.  Have tried that and have trouble controlling distance.  They also say, at my age I need to be playing senior flex shafts.  From the Aldila Rogue "S" flex in my driver through to the 6.0's in the irons, I can't ask for any more.  Distance... control... Really in love with my Srixons.  1 under 71 this morning.  Ain't gonna change anything very soon!!!  :>)

• Like 4

On 8/24/2023 at 10:11 AM, Waytall said:

"They're very similar in construction and have the same lofts.  The JPX HM, and HM Pro to a slightly lesser extent, are more on the SGI end of the spectrum with very strong lofts, wide soles, cast construction (vs. forged), and large heads."

Edited 26 minutes ago by forrester_fire

Are they really any smaller than the HM model? Seem very close to me by eye. 

Here's what I can find.  Reader's digest version: ZX5 slightly shorter than all JPX models in blade length (until PW), slightly slimmer top line, and sole width is kind of all over the place.  Closer to JPX Forged in almost all measurements.  Lofts are the essentially same as Forged, HM line have "jacked" lofts (28.5 degree 7i for HM and HMP)

Fortunately, Mizuno and Srixon are practically the only OEMs that give us such detailed measurements of their iron offerings.

Source:  

https://www.srixonasia.com/srixon/zx5-irons/

https://mizunogolf.com/us/irons-comparison-table/

Blade Length in mm (4i, 7i, PW):

ZX5:  78, 78.6, 78.6

JPX F:  81.1, 79.7, 76.9

HMP:  83, 80.7, 77.3

HM:  88.1, 85.4, 80.8

Topline Width in mm (4i/7i/PW):

ZX5:  6, 6, 6

JPX F:  6.3, 6.4, 6.6

HMP:  7, 7, 6.9

HM:  7.9, 7.5, 6.9

Sole Width in mm (4i/7i/PW):

ZX5:  21.5, 20.7, 23.1

JPX F:  20.9, 20.4, 17.6

HMP:  22.9, 21.7, 18.4

HM:  24.2, 22.8, 18.4

Edited by forrester_fire

On 8/21/2023 at 5:36 AM, dekez said:

Spot on.  The Srixon V-sole is a love it / hate it thing. 

This has been a key issue for me to switch to the Srixons. Since, all the iron fitters around here use mats to fit irons...I am nervous to invest in the Srixons, despite hearing such good things about them. I may just have to buy a single iron off the auction site and try it at the local range.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ranesy said:

This has been a key issue for me to switch to the Srixons. Since, all the iron fitters around here use mats to fit irons...I am nervous to invest in the Srixons, despite hearing such good things about them. I may just have to buy a single iron off the auction site and try it at the local range.

This is a great idea.

I bought a set of zx7 based off a mat fitting and never could get along with them on the course. 

I've has MP33, MP32, MP68, JPX825 Pro... Switched to Z765 and haven't gone back to Mizuno. Played Z765, ZX7, and now ZX7 MKii... Haven't hit a Mizuno that feels as good, or gets in and out of the turf better than a Srixon.

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° Ventus Blue 7X
917F 18° ATX Green 85X

Fli Hi 3i Modus GOST
ZX5 MkII 5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Lab Mezz

ProV1