2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

It's done!

gioreeko

At a glance, it seems like the TM discrepancy is primarily at the slowest swing speed, mainly driven by higher spin. Otherwise, it’s within 1-2 mph of ball speed of Titleist counterparts.

I always enjoy the in-depth study from MGS, but I think the differences are sometimes blown out of proportion in their top 10 charts. They at least show the overall difference from best to worst, where differences are often minimal. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 9* |  Ventus Blue Velo 6S

TaylorMade Stealth+ 3W   | Ventus Blue Velo 7S

Titleist TSR3 5W | Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist TSR2 4H  |  Graphite Design AD-DI 85S

Titleist T150 5 - GW | Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105X

TaylorMade MG3 54*  58* | Dynamic Gold S400

TaylorMade Spider GT Notchback

Titleist Pro V1 | Srixon Z-Star Diamond

I don't know that any of the data makes me want to go out and switch from the Snell Prime into something else.  I'm somewhere between mid and fast - closer to mid.

What else would I switch into at that compression and that price point?  They recommend the Triad as a good buy - but the Prime is longer off the tee and spin on the 35 yard wedge was the same.  The Prime wasn't great in mid-speed mid-iron carry distance - but if a ball is 6 yards longer off the tee and 3 yards shorter with the iron (as is the case with the Prime vs. the Triad)..like...doesn't that still put the Prime "ahead"?  It's a similar story with the Vice balls and the Maxfli balls - but the gaps are somewhat smaller there.  And if we're down to talking about 1-3 yards difference...like...I dunno...

The Tour Speed is long...but the spin on the 35 yard pitch shot was way less and disqualifying.

So I'll stick with the Primes.

I am in the mid speed bucket and have been playing Pro V1, Vice Pro, B XS.   B XS scores much lower than the V! but the Yellow Pro V1 better than the White Pro V1?  Did I read that right?  Interesting if I did.

Titleist TSI3 - 9 degree w/Tensei AV Orange S 65
Ping 5 Wood - Tensei AV Orange S 75

Ping 7 Wood - Tensei AV Orange S 75
Titleist TSi2 21 
Ping i525 - AWT 2.0 Stiff + .25” - Green Dot (5-GW)
Ping Glide 4.0 (54 & 58)
Sub 70 Sycamore 005 Wide Blade / Ping Anser2
Pro V1

Yep I saw that too, different numbers for a yellow ProV1. Why would they test that ball in different colours? The data confirmed what I am seeing on course, with mid 90s swing speed on a good day and a 240-250 yard driver the Chrome Soft will be fine and, I can have it white, yellow, with stripes and in multiple Truvis!

• Like 1

Driver = Callaway Rogue ST Max w Kai’li White 60S

3HL = Callaway Paradigm X w Tensei AV Blue 75S

3UI = Srixon ZX Mkii w Recoil DART 90
5-PW = XXIO X 12 w N.S. Pro 950GH Neo DST

Wedges = Cobra Snakebite 48 | 52 | 58

Putter = Wilson Staff Model 8802

Ball = 2024 AVX 

36 minutes ago, iutodd said:

I don't know that any of the data makes me want to go out and switch from the Snell Prime into something else.  I'm somewhere between mid and fast - closer to mid.

What else would I switch into at that compression and that price point?  They recommend the Triad as a good buy - but the Prime is longer off the tee and spin on the 35 yard wedge was the same.  The Prime wasn't great in mid-speed mid-iron carry distance - but if a ball is 6 yards longer off the tee and 3 yards shorter with the iron (as is the case with the Prime vs. the Triad)..like...doesn't that still put the Prime "ahead"?  It's a similar story with the Vice balls and the Maxfli balls - but the gaps are somewhat smaller there.  And if we're down to talking about 1-3 yards difference...like...I dunno...

The Tour Speed is long...but the spin on the 35 yard pitch shot was way less and disqualifying.

So I'll stick with the Primes.

Try the Vice Pro or Pro Plus. I've been a long time Snell MTB-X user, and started using the Vice Pro Plus when Snell had delays. The Vice Pro Plus is just as long, if not a few yards farther, than the Snell, and readily available. 

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

My SS is somewhere between 90-95 w/driver.  It seems the Maxfli Tour X and the Vice Pro Plus perform better than the Tour and Pro versions in the mid (100 mph) and slow (85 mph).  What's all this marketing BS about swing speed and ball model..  I play the Maxfli Tour and Vice Pro and  according to the test I should be using the Vice Pro Plus and the Maxfli Tour X. 

UUUGGGHHH!  Why do I even pay attention to this ball test!  I was enjoying the Kirkland V3!

8 hours ago, rwbloom93 said:

Why?

Is your AoA the same as the robot? Do you use the same driver? Shaft? Loft? All these things effect ball performance. See JcO post right after yours.

Regards

I do agree with some adjustments the distances could improve, but do you think I could make up that 20 yrd distance?  I dont know that answer to that but we have plenty of members that could figure it out!!  I would be open to trying out diff lofts to stay w the tpx. 

@gioreeko @chisag Is this MGS ball test changing your mind about the Kirkland?  Will you still game them?  I don't know, I have no idea if I get less distance with it or not.  I'm still gaming them.  My league or serious rounds I'm still using the Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour, although, the test seems to suggest I switch the the Tour X or Pro Plus.  

Signed; Confused.

Looks like TM will be particularly motivated to turn out a better ball for the next refresh (FWIW: I could never get ballnamic to recommend a TM ball either)

Pro V's are always at the top. 

Where can you get left dash for $48?

LA golf balls are $70 a dozen!? lol

I need to give Vice a legit test

Edited by cw1209

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

I have been playing the TP5 pix for the last few months because I got a good deal on eBay.  I normally play the Wilson Triad or the RX from BridgeStone.  I haven't noticed any lack of distance off my driver.  At least a noticeable lack of distance.  I might be a few feet shorter with the TP5 on occasion but nothing like their test is showing. I like the TP5 around the green and putting with them better than the Triad and the RX.

I was going to give the RXS a try next but I might give the Maxfli a go based on this test.

I will say, the last in depth test they did on the golf ball led me to the Snell Black, the best ball I have ever played for my game.  That is why I have been testing golf balls, I am looking for a replacement for the Snell Black.  The Prime and Prime X are no good IMO.

Right now, the Wilson Triad is going to be my ball once I run out of TP5s

I may like the TP5 in certain situations but the Triad is a complete ball for me.

Different strokes for different folks.

PS

The ProV1 is the best ball I have ever played but I am not spending $60 a dozen on golf balls.

Something about the ProV1, when I play them, they are water seeking missiles

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

11 hours ago, black bnr32 said:

Great data.  I pretty much choose my ball based solely on this test.

The data is useful as a good starting point but you should still test for yourself.  Also, if you only use this test and MGS stays on their 2 year schedule, you will be completely ruling out the new TM and Callaway balls that are expected next year until MGS does their 2025 test.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wantacigar said:

@gioreeko @chisag Is this MGS ball test changing your mind about the Kirkland?  Will you still game them?  I don't know, I have no idea if I get less distance with it or not.  I'm still gaming them.  My league or serious rounds I'm still using the Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour, although, the test seems to suggest I switch the the Tour X or Pro Plus.  

Signed; Confused.

I still keep a sleeve in my bag for days I might not have had time to warm up, are really sore from lifting weights and might spray a few, or had a damn stroke a few weeks ago!  I think they are a few yards shorter than the Vice Pro Plus, but nothing that makes that much of a difference.  For the price, they're a great option when I realize I don't have the A game that day, and have lost a few more balls than I care to. Or I'm playing a Pete Dye course, lol.

• Haha 1

Maltby TSW sand wedge

13 minutes ago, gioreeko said:

I still keep a sleeve in my bag for days I might not have had time to warm up, are really sore from lifting weights and might spray a few, or had a damn stroke a few weeks ago!  I think they are a few yards shorter than the Vice Pro Plus, but nothing that makes that much of a difference.  For the price, they're a great option when I realize I don't have the A game that day, and have lost a few more balls than I care to. Or I'm playing a Pete Dye course, lol.

Same here minus the stroke! (Hope recovery is going well).  On Long Island we have a lot of courses with water and Bethpage that is just wooded and thick fescue and rough.  I've lost balls 1 yard off the fairway.  

Last time I played Bethpage I used the Kirkland on the Red (6555 yard Par 70 from the whites) and shot a decent score for me for the Red considering I haven't been hitting it good past 2 months due to the weight loss Though I am improving. 

Again, HOPE the recovery is going well!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, black bnr32 said:

Check out decreased driver distance of the Tour Response vs 2021.

Id like to have a high spin and low spin ball.  High spin for firm greens low spin for soft.  But dang it, the results are very similar across a single brand…

The Tour Response was so bad that it makes me wonder if they had a 5 MPH headwind when it was being tested.  They said they only tested in 0-5 MPH winds, but 5 MPH isn't nothing.  We have no way to know.  I've not been impressed with that ball to begin with, so no loss to me personally.  But it makes you wonder.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

Been playing the Vice Pro Plus all year - while it's great off the tee, it really shines when it hits the green and stops much faster than any tour ball previously played.

• Like 4

ATTENTION:  Views expressed are my opinions based on my experiences playing golf.  I reserve the right to change my opinions - without notice.

Looking at the low and mid speed results and I am pretty surprised the firm X balls are so long... But of course that flips when it comes to irons. Chrome Soft X LS seems a very good middle ground option. Tour Speed did well too but simply not enough spin on the 35 yard wedge which is unfortunate. It seems there is almost no reason not to play the firmer balls at any speed unless you absolutely cannot handle the feel. 

Edited by Potatohead
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wantacigar said:

Same here minus the stroke! (Hope recovery is going well).  On Long Island we have a lot of courses with water and Bethpage that is just wooded and thick fescue and rough.  I've lost balls 1 yard off the fairway.  

Last time I played Bethpage I used the Kirkland on the Red (6555 yard Par 70 from the whites) and shot a decent score for me for the Red considering I haven't been hitting it good past 2 months due to the weight loss Though I am improving. 

Again, HOPE the recovery is going well!

Thanks! Going well, got two rounds until work got busy, and now I have to wear a heart monitor for two weeks, so no golf. I knew on the second round I was fine. Hit a gorgeous high draw with my hybrid from the light rough over some trees onto the green from about 240 yards. Proceeded to 3 putt. Same old me

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Maltby TSW sand wedge

Interesting results, I'm still not sure if the ball I'm using is hurting or helping me but it also looks like I should test the ProV1, ProV1x and maybe Left Dash. Yay more money to spend. 

Also that 2023 chart is booty cheeks compared to the 2021 version.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

4 hours ago, wantacigar said:

Signed; Confused.

... As I have always said I think any test is just a starting point because things like face angle and AOA play a huge role with driver performance and with this test they change the parameters for each swing speed category. Exactly what that means is anyone guess*.  

... But all in all the test is pretty much what I have seen with my Maxfli Tour and V3 as the performance is very close and the Maxfli may produce a few more yards off the tee when hit perfectly but more often than not my results are pretty similar. With my driver swing speed and AOA ideally around 2700 works best for me going by my last 3 driver fittings. 

... I am around 95mph so I usually extrapolate data combining the mid and slow swing speed numbers. Not perfect as I am much closer to mid speed but best I can come up with. Interestingly the V3 wasn't the highest spinning ball off the driver for mid speed with the PXG and Inesis recording higher spin numbers. And to say the V3 still produces "excessive spin" is a bit misleading as the ZStar, Chrome X, BX-S, Star Diamond and TP5 all produced spin in the 2900's for mid swing speeds along with the V3 according to the data. 

... Just keep in mind if you play a fade or a draw and your AOA is a +3 or a -3 your results can be radically different than this test data. I know my regular course well and I have not hit any drives with the V3 that came up short of my usual distance. Again, if I did a ball to ball test hitting 50 of each I may find a few more yards with the Maxfli Tour vs the V3, but If I hit a good drive and have a Pw into the green, 3 more or less yds is still a Pw and quality of my swing/strike will have a much wider variance than that. 

... If the V3 and Maxfli were the same price I wouldn't be playing the V3 but at less than 1/2 the cost for me it is a no brainer. Same as the Maxfli Tour vs the ProV1 and if they were the same price I wouldn't be playing the Maxfli. But the Maxfli is almost 1/2 less than the price of the ProV1 and my last head to head comparison they were almost identical. The only real difference I noticed was the durability of the ProV1 that is unmatched by any urethane ball I have played.

... I also think how much you play is a consideration. If I played every Saturday only, I would probably play ProV1's. But even twice a week the nod goes to the Maxfli Tour. But playing 4-5 times a week in fall/winter/spring and the desert likes to chew up covers so I start every round with a new ball and the V3 is the clear choice. All I know is for my last round I had 7 birdies with the Kirkland V3 and it did everything I want/need from my golf ball, including only costing me $14 a dozen. If I had played a ProV1 at 4 times the price I am confident my score would have been exactly the same. So If I am playing for fun the V3 will remain my ball of choice and if playing something a little more serious I will play the Maxfli Tour. 

*For each of the three speeds for the driver and iron portions of the test, the robot was calibrated to achieve specific launch and spin targets. The parameters for each portion were decided on after consulting with multiple ball manufacturers. The specific configuration for each test condition (including the clubs used) is detailed in the relevant sections below.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

I already know what the TP5x and V1x do for my game.  I am picking up a sleeve of the Callaway Chrome Soft x LS to try this weekend.  I dont have any experience with Cally golf balls so we will see how it goes.  I fall between the mid and fast on the charts and tend to be a higher launch/spin player thru the bag.

• Like 1

Aerojet 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

12 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Interesting results, I'm still not sure if the ball I'm using is hurting or helping me but it also looks like I should test the ProV1, ProV1x and maybe Left Dash. Yay more money to spend. 

Also that 2023 chart is booty cheeks compared to the 2021 version.

In the past, I posted direct links to the tableau pages where the individual charts are posted here (2019 and 2021 results).  So much easier to deal with the charts there than in the middle of the full ball test story.  MGS doesn't own tableau and tons of companies, schools, individuals, etc. host their data there.  The post was blocked when I tried to give the link to the main table for the latest test yesterday.  I do like that they added the ability to pick OEM's this time around.

12 minutes ago, Lord Helmet said:

I already know what the TP5x and V1x do for my game.  I am picking up a sleeve of the Callaway Chrome Soft x LS to try this weekend.  I dont have any experience with Cally golf balls so we will see how it goes.  I fall between the mid and fast on the charts and tend to be a higher launch/spin player thru the bag.

... One of my playing pards loves the X LS and when I sent him this link, he bought 10 dozen. 😜

https://mggolf.com/golf-balls-other/?v=BIBB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

8 minutes ago, chisag said:

... One of my playing pards loves the X LS and when I sent him this link, he bought 10 dozen. 😜

https://mggolf.com/golf-balls-other/?v=BIBB

I've seen those offered there and thought it was odd that they were the same price as the Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X but both of those listings explicitly say prior generation and the X LS listing does not.  Looks like current markings in the images though.

39 minutes ago, cardigan said:

In the past, I posted direct links to the tableau pages where the individual charts are posted here (2019 and 2021 results).  So much easier to deal with the charts there than in the middle of the full ball test story.  MGS doesn't own tableau and tons of companies, schools, individuals, etc. host their data there.  The post was blocked when I tried to give the link to the main table for the latest test yesterday.  I do like that they added the ability to pick OEM's this time around.

That chart I'm fine with it's the one with the balls, compression and price. It's much smaller and a red background is always hard to read. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

13 hours ago, gioreeko said:

Try the Vice Pro or Pro Plus. I've been a long time Snell MTB-X user, and started using the Vice Pro Plus when Snell had delays. The Vice Pro Plus is just as long, if not a few yards farther, than the Snell, and readily available. 

Again - why would I switch to the Vice?

On mid speed driver the Snell has slightly more/basically the same ballspeed (145.87 vs 145.60) than the Pro and carries farther (242 v 239).  The Vice Pro Plus (which is much firmer) has 146.0 ball speed but only carries 240.  

On fast speed the Vice Pro and Snell are almost equal - ball speed on the Vice is 1 mph more but carry is only 1 yard farther.  The Vice Pro Plus is 4 yards farther on fast speed but again it's just much firmer.

I am something like 105 mph speed with the driver so I'm between the two speeds - what do I gain by switching to Vice??

The Spin numbers for 35 yard wedges are all within 100 RPMS of each other.

The Vice does go a few yards farther with the mid-irons on mid-speed (on fast speed the mid-iron numbers are within one yard of each other)...but like I said - the Vice balls are shorter off the tee so what do I gain by switching?