It's done!

gioreeko

3 hours ago, BigtimeHC said:

this times 1000. Played a couple of rounds now with CSX just testing them out, even just average speed wedges are tearing the cover up. Last round went through 4 and didn’t lose a ball, nowhere near as durable as Pro V1.

Now that I'm losing less I wouldn't mind a more durable ball honestly. I played 4 rounds last week and went through maybe 8-10 balls but I think half were scuffed from various things. 

Still don't know which Titleist ball would work for me so guess I'm buying a few boxes. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I've been a loyal Srixon Z Star user for the last 5ish years. I'm a high spin player (swing/delivery faults) around 100mph driver SS. This data says I'm giving up 13 yards to a ProV1x with the driver. Color me shocked. Am I reading that right? I already feel like I'm losing distance due to my delivery and relatively high spin (good ones are straight, mishits are the high fade)... is the Z Star a pretty poor choice for me? 5 hcp. 

1 hour ago, RacineBoxer said:

I've been a loyal Srixon Z Star user for the last 5ish years. I'm a high spin player (swing/delivery faults) around 100mph driver SS. This data says I'm giving up 13 yards to a ProV1x with the driver. Color me shocked. Am I reading that right? I already feel like I'm losing distance due to my delivery and relatively high spin (good ones are straight, mishits are the high fade)... is the Z Star a pretty poor choice for me? 5 hcp. 

I would try a left dash to see if it makes a difference

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

On 8/28/2023 at 12:45 PM, Snowman9000 said:

Also, farewell Q Star Tour.  We had some good times, didn't we? 

It's not you, it's me. 

Well, actually, it's you.

Shocking to me as I was just trying to run out of current callaway supersofts before switching to the q star. I had tried them a bit and was really getting excited but now… 

what are you going to switch to?

TM 300 Mini 

Adams Idea Pro Gold Tour Proto 20*

Callaway X-Forged UT @24*

Miura CB-501's; 6-PW

Vokey Spin Milled @51*

Cleveland 588 Rotex @56*

Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4 or Odyssey WH XG #9

All tucked in a Jones Utility with a single strap

2 hours ago, pitchnputt said:

Shocking to me as I was just trying to run out of current callaway supersofts before switching to the q star. I had tried them a bit and was really getting excited but now… 

Triad.  I have played one round with it, and it played longer and straighter, and good around the greens.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

3 minutes ago, Snowman9000 said:

Triad.  I have played one round with it, and it played longer and straighter, and good around the greens.

25% more expensive though! I was already going up 15% to get the urethane cover on q star from supersofts (which I have admittedly outgrown, but stuck with for familiarity and my hio)

TM 300 Mini 

Miura CB-501's; 6-PW

Vokey Spin Milled @51*

Cleveland 588 Rotex @56*

On 8/28/2023 at 2:55 PM, hammergolf said:

I don’t like the LS version, feels like a rock to me. The CSX and Tour BX are the best two balls for me. However, based on this new test, I’m going to try the Z Star Diamond as well.

I concur and I'm in the 100-105 SS range.  Have yet to find two better performing ball in all categories.  BX, CSX all day.  Diamond was short in distance off the tee for me.

• Like 1

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

On 8/29/2023 at 5:56 PM, flushem said:

I see quite a difference in distance between 2021 and 2023 tests.   The given club swing data is similar between 2 years but 10 yards difference in driving?  what about the rest of the data?  Is it valid?

What I found is that 2023 test data is consistently about 10 yards shorter than 2021 test data regardless of swing speed.  

2023 Ball test - mid speed drivers
image.png.67049a58ed9f063c862c0b31561886f7.png

2021 Ball test - mid speed drivers

image.png.ea762605e7ab033e5797a17062225e02.png

The 2023 spin test average was 350rpm higher.  Probably accounts for some of the difference.  And points out the importance of spin when chasing distance.

4 hours ago, pitchnputt said:

So you tried Q-Stars and were excited to switch but a robot, which is not emulating your swing, or using your clubs, has you now rethinking?

Even the MSG author acknowledged that these are data points for specific setups and that individuals may get differing results. I would hope your personal testing would out rank an article on how balls responded to a robot. Just a thought.

Good luck.

Edited by rwbloom93
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, rwbloom93 said:

So you tried Q-Stars and were excited to switch but a robot, which is not emulating your swing, or using your clubs, has you now rethinking?

Even the MSG author acknowledged that these are data points for specific setups and that individuals may get differing results. I would hope your personal testing would out rank an article on how balls responded to a robot. Just a thought.

Good luck.

Good point. I guess I was just surprised to not see the q star looking flash at all. I am by no means an expert golfer and really only just settled my bag enough to start focusing on the ball. Thanks for the level headed opinion 

TM 300 Mini 

Miura CB-501's; 6-PW

Vokey Spin Milled @51*

Cleveland 588 Rotex @56*

19 hours ago, gioreeko said:

sad, the Snell MTB-X is an all time favorite for me, and even the regular MTB was really good. I wish they'd go back to cast covers, I think that's why I like the Vice and Maxfli more now.

Unless Dean opens his own factory, It's TPU unfortunately.  When Taylor Made bought Nassau Golf and screwed Dean up they almost put Snell out of business.  Foremost was unable to take on the Snell production so he was forced to redesign to a TPU cover.  I bet the Snell line up more with the Callaway balls than the Titleist balls because of that.

4 hours ago, wantacigar said:

Unless Dean opens his own factory, It's TPU unfortunately.  When Taylor Made bought Nassau Golf and screwed Dean up they almost put Snell out of business.  Foremost was unable to take on the Snell production so he was forced to redesign to a TPU cover.  I bet the Snell line up more with the Callaway balls than the Titleist balls because of that.

I get that, but Vice and Maxflix are both cast, I think they're made at Foremost? why not go there? 

Maltby TSW sand wedge

4 minutes ago, gioreeko said:

I get that, but Vice and Maxflix are both cast, I think they're made at Foremost? why not go there? 

Foremost couldn't handle the production.  with the Ionomer shortage they were barely able to keep their current customers in product (Maxfli - Vice - Wilson - There was a few others that escape me.)  Oncore had to make the Elixr a TPU because of that issue.  They were able to keep the Vero a cast.  

Think about it..Callaway is TPU.  TPU in and of itself is not a bad thing.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wantacigar said:

Foremost couldn't handle the production.  with the Ionomer shortage they were barely able to keep their current customers in product (Maxfli - Vice - Wilson - There was a few others that escape me.)  Oncore had to make the Elixr a TPU because of that issue.  They were able to keep the Vero a cast.  

Think about it..Callaway is TPU.  TPU in and of itself is not a bad thing.  

Also, Vice added the Pro Zero during that time (not cast, not produced by Foremost).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TallGuy90 said:

Unless you all are delivering the club like a robot this test means about half of what we really thing it does 

The whole point of a robot is to take away any variance.

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max 9*

Ping G425 Max 14.5*

Ping G425 17* & 19*

Titleist T100 4-6

Titleist 620MB 7-PW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* & 58*

Odyssey White Hot OG 7s

Sun Mountain Mid Stripe

13 minutes ago, TallGuy90 said:

Unless you all are delivering the club like a robot this test means about half of what we really thing it does 

It's 100 percent on because it's all relative, unless you, as a player, decide to swing differently for each ball.  Every time they do this test, someone tries to bring up the "the robot is different than your swing" theory. 

• Like 2

Maltby TSW sand wedge

Like someone else said...Did they hit the Prov1 in a 5 mph tail wind and the Kirkland in a 5 mph headwind?  It all depends upon the environmental conditions, etc.   Not saying that's what they did, just a variable to consider.  That alone could make a 10 yard distance differential in the same ball.

With all that was said by the test for an 85 mph SS , took out the Max Tour S out for a test. I’m still longer with my Titleist TruFeel . 

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

I know they list the Z star diamond as a firmer option, but I don’t find it to feel firm at all. Maybe it’s because I’ve played a prov1x for so long the diamond feels soft to me. Great ball I’ve been testing head to head on the course for a few months. Prov1x is better for me off the tee, diamond is better around the green. Can’t go wrong with either.

I look at this Ball Test as a starting point for choosing a ball based on my swing speed.  In the end it all comes down to personal preference and testing.  I currently play the 2023 Pro V1, which isn't the top performer in any category, but it's my personal preference because I love the feel, trajectory, spin and performance with my swing and current golf clubs.  I think they do as good a job as they can to give an even playing field for each ball.  Start with this data, go test for yourself to make a final decision.  

• Like 3

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9*- Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard D+ 60 X-Stiff

Fairway Woods: Titleist TSR3 15* Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard D+ 70 X-Stiff

Hybrid: Titleist TSR2 18* Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.8 X-Stiff

Irons: Titleist T100(2019) 3, 5-PW KBS C-Taper 130X

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50* KBS C-Taper 130X, 54* & 58* KBS 610 Wedge 125.

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab #10 

Ball: Titleist Pro V1(2023)

On 8/30/2023 at 9:35 PM, pitchnputt said:

25% more expensive though! I was already going up 15% to get the urethane cover on q star from supersofts (which I have admittedly outgrown, but stuck with for familiarity and my hio)

You can save two bucks a dz on Triads via Amazon subcription - If that helps you out any.  I know it's not much.  Best deal for Urathane on the softer side is probably the Maxfli Tour S at $30 in bulk.  I play the Maxfli Tour - but am going to give the Triad a whirl with the home launch monitor and out on the course for the next couple of rounds.  Cheers!

triad.jpg

It’s almost like they read wrx forum…

7074800A-504A-4B4A-85A4-367CF134F853.png

TM 300 Mini 

Miura CB-501's; 6-PW

Vokey Spin Milled @51*

Cleveland 588 Rotex @56*

as a mid speed gamer & a math major, here is my subjective conclusion.  

although I am not a fan of big OEMs, I must admit that ProV1 is the bomb.   For my preference (distance, spin, height and compression), it is the near perfect ball.  However, I chose the following balls factoring price & color choices after consideration of distance, spin, height and compression).

• Vice Pro Soft (Cast U)
  • Wilson Triad (Cast U)
  • Snell MTB Prime (TPU)
  • Seed SD-01 (Cast U)
  • Oncore ELIXR (TPU)
Edited by flushem
  • Like 1

Just stopped by my local course and picked up a sleeve of the Cally Chrome Soft x LS to try over the weekend.  The guy working said its his gamer and he loves it.  Said he tends to put too much spin on the ball off the T and this helped.  He said if there was 1 critique, its around the greens but he said its really not a big one (critique).  

Guess we will see.  The sleeve I got has those goofy alignment lines on it and I dont care for that - if I choose this ball I will get the ones without.  I think the lines are busy and look like clutter.  1st world problems over here.

Edit:  Just did some putting in my basement.  Berber carpet.  I have a long stretch where I can chip and putt.  The ball really doesnt feel all that much different off the putter compared to TP5x.  Blind test I probably couldnt pick the 2 apart.  

Edited by Lord Helmet

Aerojet 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

The differences in total distance for the 35yd wedge shot are very small, about 1 yard total.  Obviously they’re estimating the roll out, but it still seems like the differences are negligible and we may put too much importance on green side performance.  There isn’t even really a correlation between spin and distance.

Pretty interesting test.  I downloaded the data for the mid and slow speeds and merged both to average both data sets to find what balls might perform best at my swing speed. Since iron performance is the most important aspect for me that is where I start then I try and find the longest performing ball of the driver. 

The best ball off the iron are typically slow with the driver so those fall off the list pretty quick.  For example, the TM Tour Response is the highest carrying ball off the 8 iron, but one of the shortest off the driver.  Most of the balls in the top 10 in the iron category are at the bottom of the list of driver distance. 

I also excluded a couple of balls I know I would not play like Not Your Ball.

Titleist ProV1 Left Dash - this was in 10th place off the irons and 1st place off the driver.  I won't play this ball due to firmness and pricing. 

Titleist Tour Speed is a great performer across both categories; the only downside is the 35 yard wedge test. This was in 9th place when looking at irons and 8th place off the driver. I might order a dozen to see if I can live with the greenside performance. 

Callaway ChromeSoft LS - I would never have tested this ball due to the LS designation but it does not look that low spin in the numbers.  This was 14th best off the irons and second off the driver.  Not thrilled with the price per dozen...

ProV1 yellow - weird to see such separation between the yellow version and white version of the same ball.  But the yellow performs.  This was 15th place off the irons and 6th place off the driver.  Hate the price of the Prov1 though.

Mizuno RB Tour - this is a shocker. Performs well over both iron and driver and has reasonable spin.  This came in 17th place off the irons and 7th place off the driver.  Cheaper than the premium options.

MaxFli Tour - 12th in the irons category, 19th off the tee. Solid all-around performance and priced well. 

Vice pro (current gamer) - 16th in irons and 21st off the tee. Great price but the Mizuno RB Tour or Tour Speed might be worth the higher price.  I played the same ball over the past 36 holes and it is looking pretty beat up so I am questioning it's durability. 

Tour B XS (backup gamer) - 18th off the iron, 30th off the tee.  Love this ball around the greens but disappointed to see its performance off the tee. 

Really surprised how poorly the TP5 and TP5x performed.  Ouch. 

• Like 2

Iron History: Macgregor blades -> Tour Model 3 -> 20 year hiatus -> Callaway Rogue (ugh) -> PtxPro -> P790 -> MP4 -> MP32 -> 623CB -> ZX5 mkII -> Cobra Tours

Dr: Titleist TSR3

3W: Ping G430 SFT

7W: Callaway Paradym

4H: Cobra King Tec

5-GW: Titleist T100

W: Edison 2.0

P: Odessey Versa 7

3 hours ago, Jmccas said:

Pretty interesting test.  I downloaded the data for the mid and slow speeds and merged both to average both data sets to find what balls might perform best at my swing speed. Since iron performance is the most important aspect for me that is where I start then I try and find the longest performing ball of the driver. 

The best ball off the iron are typically slow with the driver so those fall off the list pretty quick.  For example, the TM Tour Response is the highest carrying ball off the 8 iron, but one of the shortest off the driver.  Most of the balls in the top 10 in the iron category are at the bottom of the list of driver distance. 

I also excluded a couple of balls I know I would not play like Not Your Ball.

Titleist ProV1 Left Dash - this was in 10th place off the irons and 1st place off the driver.  I won't play this ball due to firmness and pricing. 

Titleist Tour Speed is a great performer across both categories; the only downside is the 35 yard wedge test. This was in 9th place when looking at irons and 8th place off the driver. I might order a dozen to see if I can live with the greenside performance. 

Callaway ChromeSoft LS - I would never have tested this ball due to the LS designation but it does not look that low spin in the numbers.  This was 14th best off the irons and second off the driver.  Not thrilled with the price per dozen...

ProV1 yellow - weird to see such separation between the yellow version and white version of the same ball.  But the yellow performs.  This was 15th place off the irons and 6th place off the driver.  Hate the price of the Prov1 though.

Mizuno RB Tour - this is a shocker. Performs well over both iron and driver and has reasonable spin.  This came in 17th place off the irons and 7th place off the driver.  Cheaper than the premium options.

MaxFli Tour - 12th in the irons category, 19th off the tee. Solid all-around performance and priced well. 

Vice pro (current gamer) - 16th in irons and 21st off the tee. Great price but the Mizuno RB Tour or Tour Speed might be worth the higher price.  I played the same ball over the past 36 holes and it is looking pretty beat up so I am questioning it's durability. 

Tour B XS (backup gamer) - 18th off the iron, 30th off the tee.  Love this ball around the greens but disappointed to see its performance off the tee. 

Really surprised how poorly the TP5 and TP5x performed.  Ouch. 

What ball had the best performance when the data was merged?