2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

It's done!

gioreeko

8 minutes ago, cardigan said:

I've seen those offered there and thought it was odd that they were the same price as the Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X but both of those listings explicitly say prior generation and the X LS listing does not.  Looks like current markings in the images though.

... Yea, they will have both previous and current generation Callaway balls. But they always say "previous generation" if they are last years balls. They do come in a plain box but I actually like that better. 

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, MattM97 said:

Interesting results, I'm still not sure if the ball I'm using is hurting or helping me but it also looks like I should test the ProV1, ProV1x and maybe Left Dash. Yay more money to spend. 

Also that 2023 chart is booty cheeks compared to the 2021 version.

If you're thinking about the ProV1 - why not try the Snell Prime for a lot cheaper?  At mid-speed swing the Prime is a yard longer off the tee and only 3 yards shorter with the mid-iron.  At fast swing speed the Prime and the ProV1 go the exact same distance and the mid-irons are within 1.5 yards of each other.  At slow speeds everything is almost exactly the same  The spin numbers on the 35 yard wedge are the exact same and the spin numbers for irons are close.

Again the ProV1 is $55 and the Snell Prime is $32.  What are you getting for $23 more dollars?

2 minutes ago, iutodd said:

If you're thinking about the ProV1 - why not try the Snell Prime for a lot cheaper?  At mid-speed swing the Prime is a yard longer off the tee and only 3 yards shorter with the mid-iron.  At fast swing speed the Prime and the ProV1 go the exact same distance and the mid-irons are within 1.5 yards of each other.  At slow speeds everything is almost exactly the same  The spin numbers on the 35 yard wedge are the exact same and the spin numbers for irons are close.

Again the ProV1 is $55 and the Snell Prime is $32.  What are you getting for $23 more dollars?

Cause I'm in Canada and after tax and shipping there is zero difference in price difference, and I don't have to wait 1-2 weeks for them to ship it. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Just now, iutodd said:

Oh that's fair.  Just was curious.

If the price was indeed different I would, it's also the reason I haven't tried the Left Dash. It's Titleist Canada website only so I have to pay for shipping on those where the ProV1, ProV1x and AVX I can walk into any golf shop and buy. 

I do know someone that could order balls for me and I might just buy a few boxes of the Left Dash and ProV1X and probably get a small discount from him.

Lefty - WITB Thread

2 hours ago, Snowman9000 said:

The Tour Response was so bad that it makes me wonder if they had a 5 MPH headwind when it was being tested.  They said they only tested in 0-5 MPH winds, but 5 MPH isn't nothing.  We have no way to know.  I've not been impressed with that ball to begin with, so no loss to me personally.  But it makes you wonder.

Good point.

The spin was 400rpm higher this year off the driver, so maybe it’s just not great in this particular launch condition.

1 hour ago, iutodd said:

Again - why would I switch to the Vice?

On mid speed driver the Snell has slightly more/basically the same ballspeed (145.87 vs 145.60) than the Pro and carries farther (242 v 239).  The Vice Pro Plus (which is much firmer) has 146.0 ball speed but only carries 240.  

On fast speed the Vice Pro and Snell are almost equal - ball speed on the Vice is 1 mph more but carry is only 1 yard farther.  The Vice Pro Plus is 4 yards farther on fast speed but again it's just much firmer.

I am something like 105 mph speed with the driver so I'm between the two speeds - what do I gain by switching to Vice??

The Spin numbers for 35 yard wedges are all within 100 RPMS of each other.

The Vice does go a few yards farther with the mid-irons on mid-speed (on fast speed the mid-iron numbers are within one yard of each other)...but like I said - the Vice balls are shorter off the tee so what do I gain by switching?

you said you were between speeds, the faster you go, the more the Vice pulls away. It's 10 yards longer at 115mph. Say you start doing some speed training or something, and you start to be in the fast category and not in the middle, you'll start to see the difference. They're basically the same price, though the Vice has buy 5 get 1 free all the time. Cast cover on Vice vs. TPU on the Snell, which used to be cast, and I absolutely love the MTB-X.  Plus the highly visible lime green and orange/yellow fade on the Vice, and I think it's the better ball and value. 

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

Maxfli options just seem great for the price. The buy more save more option + buying when the app gives $30 off a purchase > over $150 is a GREAT deal for performance. I think it came out to like $21/doz or something?

• Like 2

DRIVER - Titleist TSI3- Tour AD DI 6x

FAIRWAY WOODS - Callaway Rogue ST LS 3W- Rogue Silver X

HYBRIDS - PING G410

IRONS - Taylormade P760-DGS300

WEDGES - Cleveland Zipcore 56 / Callaway MD4 60

PUTTER - SeeMore 

18 minutes ago, gioreeko said:

you said you were between speeds, the faster you go, the more the Vice pulls away. It's 10 yards longer at 115mph. Say you start doing some speed training or something, and you start to be in the fast category and not in the middle, you'll start to see the difference. They're basically the same price, though the Vice has buy 5 get 1 free all the time. Cast cover on Vice vs. TPU on the Snell, which used to be cast, and I absolutely love the MTB-X.  Plus the highly visible lime green and orange/yellow fade on the Vice, and I think it's the better ball and value. 

The cover durability of the Vice models is better than the new Prime too. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

I found the test a little underwhelming this year. No dispersion testing which stinks. Basically all it told me were my four choices for ball are all "good" (Pro V1, Pro V1x, Diamond, CSX) and it depends on what's best for me.

Just further solidifies using this as a starting point. If you really want to narrow it down, go get some numbers on a sim somewhere and then go online and pay for Ballnamic. Using this test and your fitting results, probably only need to test two, maybe three balls, before an educated decision can be made.

Driver - AI Smoke Triple Diamond, Tensei 1k Blue 6tx

3 Wood - Callaway AI Smoke Max, Tensei AV Blue 75x

2 Iron - Titleist U505, Graphite Design AD-DI 8x

4-PW - T150, Project X 6.5

50 Degree - SM10 50.12F, Project X 6.5

54 Degree - RTX6 Zipcore, mid bounce, Project X wedge 6.5

58 Degree - RTX6 Zipcore, low bounce, TI s400

Putter - Custom shop 2022 Phantom 5.5

2023 Pro V1

1 hour ago, gioreeko said:

Where are you seeing that the Vice is 10 yards longer than the Snell MTB Prime at 115 mph?

The data I'm seeing says that with driver the Vice Pro is ~1 yard longer than the Snell Prime at 115 mph.  The Pro Plus (which is higher compression) is ~4 yards longer.  The mid-iron distances at high swing speed are all within one yard of each other.  This is the crosstab data that I screenshotted:

Screenshot 2023-08-29 at 4.21.26 PM.png

12 minutes ago, iutodd said:

Where are you seeing that the Vice is 10 yards longer than the Snell MTB Prime at 115 mph?

The data I'm seeing says that with driver the Vice Pro is ~1 yard longer than the Snell Prime at 115 mph.  The Pro Plus (which is higher compression) is ~4 yards longer.  The mid-iron distances at high swing speed are all within one yard of each other.  This is the crosstab data that I screenshotted:

Screenshot 2023-08-29 at 4.21.26 PM.png

MTB prime X, 305 carry, 335 total, Vice Pro Plus, 314 carry, 345 total, right there on the chart.

• Haha 1

Maltby TSW sand wedge

3 hours ago, MattM97 said:

That chart I'm fine with it's the one with the balls, compression and price. It's much smaller and a red background is always hard to read. 

That's definitely more difficult to read, especially on a mobile device.  On an actual pc/laptop, I just right-click on it, choose copy image address, and open that in a different tab. Much easier to read but the red background is still problematic.

Just now, cardigan said:

That's definitely more difficult to read, especially on a mobile device.  On an actual pc/laptop, I just right-click on it, choose copy image address, and open that in a different tab. Much easier to read but the red background is still problematic.

Yeah but we shouldn't have to honestly the last one was perfect and cleaner. This years test is honestly lacking and kinda on par for where MGS has been heading lately it seems. 

• Like 3

Lefty - WITB Thread

A

3 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

This years test is honestly lacking and kinda on par for where MGS has been heading lately it seems. 

Agreed. I think it's more of the same insights as 2021, with some risers/fallers in performance, based upon their test parameters.

I would be interested to see what the results would be when filtered for statistical significance.

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 9* |  Ventus Blue Velo 6S

TaylorMade Stealth+ 3W   | Ventus Blue Velo 7S

Titleist TSR3 5W | Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist TSR2 4H  |  Graphite Design AD-DI 85S

Titleist T150 5 - GW | Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105X

TaylorMade MG3 54*  58* | Dynamic Gold S400

TaylorMade Spider GT Notchback

Titleist Pro V1 | Srixon Z-Star Diamond

Mid swing speed 60 year old guy here. From my analysis , the best less expensive, lower 40$ price, balls at 100 mph swing speed, are the Mizuno RB tour (#10 in driver distance, #6 in 7 iron distance) and the Maxfli Tour X (#6 in driver distance, tied highest driver ball speed). I have used both of these balls with good results. Both are fairly long and spin well off irons. The Mizuno X ball also tested well but I have not tried it yet.  I had no durability issues with the Mizuno ball that some have reported. The spy recommended the Wilson Triad as the value choice at this driver speed but it was notably shorter in the driver testing, 8-9 yards shorter, than the Mizuno RB and Maxfli X models. 

On 8/28/2023 at 3:39 PM, Lord Helmet said:

In the 100 mid range the 5x was 10yds or so shorter than 1x with driver.  Interesting.  I have read on wrx this version of the 5 and 5x arent perhaps up to prior generation snuff.

Also - the Callaway chrome soft x ls seems to do well in that mid area, which I am in terms of speed.  Ive actually never hit a Callaway ball, might try one this weekend.

Swing speed around 102.  Been playing Chrome soft x TT for two years.  Very happy to see it did well in our range.

I think you'll be very happy with the ball.

Hit em straight!

I see quite a difference in distance between 2021 and 2023 tests.   The given club swing data is similar between 2 years but 10 yards difference in driving?  what about the rest of the data?  Is it valid?

What I found is that 2023 test data is consistently about 10 yards shorter than 2021 test data regardless of swing speed.  

2023 Ball test - mid speed drivers
image.png.67049a58ed9f063c862c0b31561886f7.png

2021 Ball test - mid speed drivers

image.png.ea762605e7ab033e5797a17062225e02.png

Edited by flushem

15 minutes ago, flushem said:

I see quite a difference in distance between 2021 and 2023 tests.   The given club swing data is similar between 2 years but 10 yards difference in driving?  what about the rest of the data?  Is it valid?

What I found is that 2023 test data is consistently about 10 yards shorter than 2021 test data regardless of swing speed.  

2023 Ball test - mid speed drivers
image.png.67049a58ed9f063c862c0b31561886f7.png

2021 Ball test - mid speed drivers

image.png.ea762605e7ab033e5797a17062225e02.png

The real data you should try to compare is carry distance as the total distance was carry plus the USGA formula. No idea if they followed that protocol in 2021? In this years test, they also calibrated launch conditions to the proV1 and based all balls off of that. I don't believe they did that in 2021 either. Again, this is all a starting point as we all swing a golf club different than a robot.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

On 8/28/2023 at 12:55 PM, hammergolf said:

I don’t like the LS version, feels like a rock to me. The CSX and Tour BX are the best two balls for me. However, based on this new test, I’m going to try the Z Star Diamond as well.

According to this test, the CSX-LS is lower compression than CSX.

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

7 hours ago, MattM97 said:

Cause I'm in Canada and after tax and shipping there is zero difference in price difference, and I don't have to wait 1-2 weeks for them to ship it. 

Additionally, Titleist has ball durability dialed. I can play the same ProV1X for 4 rounds and it looks better than a CSX or Tour BX after 1 round.

If you're not losing balls or bouncing them off cart paths, Titleist has a lot of value that way.

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Nike Neo

ZStar

3 hours ago, klbcec said:

Swing speed around 102.  Been playing Chrome soft x TT for two years.  Very happy to see it did well in our range.

I think you'll be very happy with the ball.

Hit em straight!

Looking forward to trying Chrome soft x ls!

Aerojet 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

9 minutes ago, Fairways_and_Greens said:

Additionally, Titleist has ball durability dialed. I can play the same ProV1X for 4 rounds and it looks better than a CSX or Tour BX after 1 round.

If you're not losing balls or bouncing them off cart paths, Titleist has a lot of value that way.

I've been pretty decent this year on lost balls really depends on my swing but I definitely haven't lost as many as last year despite playing 2x more rounds so far. 

I've been playing the latest CSX a bunch this year along with a few others and the durability at times does suffer. I did toss a CSX after maybe 5 holes on the weekend after hitting a tree. 

I may finally have to try some Titleist, my biggest issue before was the attributes of each ball but they seem to be not as drastic as before. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

11 hours ago, MattM97 said:

I've been pretty decent this year on lost balls really depends on my swing but I definitely haven't lost as many as last year despite playing 2x more rounds so far. 

I've been playing the latest CSX a bunch this year along with a few others and the durability at times does suffer. I did toss a CSX after maybe 5 holes on the weekend after hitting a tree. 

I may finally have to try some Titleist, my biggest issue before was the attributes of each ball but they seem to be not as drastic as before. 

this times 1000. Played a couple of rounds now with CSX just testing them out, even just average speed wedges are tearing the cover up. Last round went through 4 and didn’t lose a ball, nowhere near as durable as Pro V1.

Driver - AI Smoke Triple Diamond, Tensei 1k Blue 6tx

3 Wood - Callaway AI Smoke Max, Tensei AV Blue 75x

2 Iron - Titleist U505, Graphite Design AD-DI 8x

4-PW - T150, Project X 6.5

50 Degree - SM10 50.12F, Project X 6.5

54 Degree - RTX6 Zipcore, mid bounce, Project X wedge 6.5

58 Degree - RTX6 Zipcore, low bounce, TI s400

Putter - Custom shop 2022 Phantom 5.5

2023 Pro V1

On 8/29/2023 at 6:21 AM, this_is_golf said:

How did the Maxfli Tour and X perform? 

Short of just going and looking at the data, they did very well.  Very comparable to the ProV1/V1x, and you'll see a lot of that reflected anecdotally in the WRX thread on the Maxfli balls, as well.  Maybe a touch longer off the driver, similar performance off irons and wedges.  For me, the Tour is maybe an infinitesimal bit firmer in feel versus the V1.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, iutodd said:

Oh - I was just thinking of the Prime.  The Prime X is clearly not a great ball.

sad, the Snell MTB-X is an all time favorite for me, and even the regular MTB was really good. I wish they'd go back to cast covers, I think that's why I like the Vice and Maxfli more now.

• Like 3

Maltby TSW sand wedge

59 minutes ago, Potatohead said:

That's the easiest way for them to make it lower spin. Plus the 2022+ version is different than the OG 2021 version, so if guys tried the original it's not the same ball.

That’s a really good point on lowering spin through softness. It kinda went from a Left Dash alternative to a Left Dot alternative. 

• Like 1

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Nike Neo

ZStar