2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Help me choose my next 5 Wood

Kai Slater

8 hours ago, Shushwap said:

cobra aero jet 5 wood... Its my fav club in my bag... I am seriously considering trying out the cobra driver

I use this club turned down to 17° as my 4 wood. It’s super forgiving, long, and it’s super easy to get up in the air with the right shaft. 

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

So many to pick from as PING has always been a favorite and so has Callaway so I recently picked up the Paradym X 5 and 7 wood both are easy to hit and are 2 clubs that get used very little. I had the G425 Max 5 and 7 but didn't want the G430 as you rarely see any big improvements from one model to the next and I wanted to go back to Callaway for a change as I do like the looks and the distance is there, nothing new or mind blowing and the feel is very nice. I just went with newer since I basically re-done my whole bag getting ready for WITB for 2024 Haha. So many other options out there if you want to go the cheaper route as I don't mean in quality either. Try as many as you can as it's your decision so let the journey begin and have fun testing as many as you can. You might be surprised to find something you like that no one has even mentioned.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

12 hours ago, Kai Slater said:

I am in the market for a new (er) fairway wood; preferably in the 18* range.  My old Cleveland Quadpro is still very solid, but I just think it's time to move on to more modern technology.  And, yes, I have done a search on here, but did not find really anything indicated direct comparisons between the few 5-woods that I'm considering:

-Callaway Epic Speed (that matches my driver)

-Callaway Rogue ST

-Titleist TSI2

-Paradym looks good also, but that price, oh man, that price is way out of my league right now.

These are the main 5 woods that I've been gathering info on and was just wondering what were some of ya'lls experience with these or if any of you'un's have compared/contrasted these specific models.  Yes, I also know that I should go find a "fitter" or whatever and hit all these clubs, but I just want to hear from some of you.

For the record, I am early 50s, sore lower back, driver swing speed right at 100 mph.  I'm mainly looking for something easy to hit off a low tee on a shorter or tighter par 4; and basically easy to launch off the turf when needed.  I also have a 23* hybrid that's really good for that.  So, yeah, just easy to  launch, solid, dependable 5 wood

I also have the Epic Speed driver that I have played exclusively this season. I bought it and the Epic Speed 3wd and 5wd at the same time, all with the HZRDUS Smoke iM10 shaft.  (50, 60, and 70g).  My general feedback is that if you love the Speed driver, then I would definitely recommend the Speed fairways. If you dont then no. They are that similar in look, performance,  and sound/feel. The sound/feel is what I like most about the driver, and to me the fairways are a perfect match.  I would consider the head size and face height to be right in the middle of most OEM offerings: not Ping shallow or overly compact, but not big/deep either. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AKA_Double J said:

I also have the Epic Speed driver that I have played exclusively this season. I bought it and the Epic Speed 3wd and 5wd at the same time, all with the HZRDUS Smoke iM10 shaft.  (50, 60, and 70g).  My general feedback is that if you love the Speed driver, then I would definitely recommend the Speed fairways. If you dont then no. They are that similar in look, performance,  and sound/feel. The sound/feel is what I like most about the driver, and to me the fairways are a perfect match.  I would consider the head size and face height to be right in the middle of most OEM offerings: not Ping shallow or overly compact, but not big/deep either. 

Yeah, the Epic Speed has been very solid for me.  No complaints at all.  I wonder if the Rogue St would be much of an upgrade from the Epic Speed?  both are similarly priced on 2nd swing.  I have some credit there, so most likely that's where I'll buying it from. I am kind of picky about sound and feel.  The Pings tend to be kinda loud from what I've seen from others.  Also, the Titleist TSI2 is in the running for me.

Driver--Callaway Rogue ST Max w/ProjectX Cypher Black

FW-4/7 woods--Callaway Paradym

Irons 4-5--Callaway Apex

Irons 6-PW--Callaway RazrX w/steel Uniflex-- shafts

F2 Series Gap Wedge 52* degree

SW-Cleveland CBX 56*

Putter--Odyssey White Steel

Ball-Srixon or Bridgestone E6

4 hours ago, oskaru said:

While I'm generally a fan of Titleist fairway woods, I do feel an itch to try the new Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood.

Possibly having it set a few clicks lower and weight forward to play more like a 4 wood. But the smaller 150cc head size appeals to me.

I have one - it's great if you can't hit your 3 wood, and want to replace it with something that goes far, but is a bit shorter, smaller and generally easier to get up in the air

My setup is Driver - 3 wood - 5 wood - 4 hybrid/iron - 5 iron, so the Stealth 2+ 5 wood doesn't really make it into the bag (I have the regular Stealth 5 wood in that slot instead). 

I used it a lot more before I learned how to use my 5 wood, and even had a setup of 2x 5 woods - one off the tee and one off the fairways lol

Otherwise I'd recommend OP either the callaway rogue st 5 wood if they mostly use it off the fairway, or the TM stealth / stealth 2 if they mostly use it off the tee. I own both and they each have their own advantages and strengths, great clubs all around 

Another vote for the PING G425

I have a the 5 wood turned up to 16* and it is a weapon

Perfect for short par 4 and going for the green in 2

Very easy to hit

I am also in my early 50's

Diver SS 96-99

PS

Everyone on here is going to recommend what is working for them , myself included.

If there is a club near you, try to take a few demos out to the range and see what works for you

Best of luck

• Like 2

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

So I have the epic speed driver and was in this same boat a little while ago.  Thought I wanted to match the 5 wood with the driver until I hit the tsi2 18degree.  Immediately put this into the bag.  I hit the epic speed in the fitting and while it was nice, the tsi2 just beat it in every category.  I find it easy to work both ways, easy to hit it low and high.  The look down at the tsi at address was unmatched tho.  Can't wait to get me one of the Tsi or Tsr drivers some day 

15 hours ago, slugoo said:

My 425max 5wood is a rocket with a tensei orange

@Kai Slater Ping makes some of the easiest FW to hit. For sure you can find a G425 on a bargain on here or elsewhere. Hope you stay in shape and stay healthy, boss! 

• Like 1

TSR3 9* w/ Ventus Blue 6S

Stealth+ 15* w/ Ventus Blue 7S

TSR3 18* w/ Tour AD UB 8S

23' T200 4-6 w/ AMT White S300 Onyx

23' T150 7-PW w/ AMT White S300 Onyx

RTX 6 ZipCore 52, 56, 60 w/ DG Spinner

Mezz.1 Max

ProV1

Please don't tempt me with your WTS/WTT posts...

49 minutes ago, stevechooster said:

@Kai Slater Ping makes some of the easiest FW to hit. For sure you can find a G425 on a bargain on here or elsewhere. Hope you stay in shape and stay healthy, boss! 

I'm pretty much narrowed it down to the Callaway Rogue ST, Ping G425 (or 410), and the Titleist TSI2.  The one that that I'm a little sketchy about is the sound of the Ping G425.

Irons 4-5--Callaway Apex

SW-Cleveland CBX 56*

16 hours ago, Kai Slater said:

I'm mainly looking for something easy to hit off a low tee on a shorter or tighter par 4; and basically easy to launch off the turf when needed.

Uh I mean a 2H would also do this.

Edit: I know you've been using a 5W I just mean use this opportunity to consider that option.

Edited by blades_are_life

16 hours ago, Kai Slater said:

I will definitely check on the 915.  One question though, can I play it as a mid-handicapper?  I thought that the older Titleist clubs were only for really, really talented players and elite golfers.  Where the TS series and up was more for anyone.

Hell no lol 915F are playable for pretty much anyone. Launch is very forgiving with the ARC.

Thanks to all of you for the unbelievable feedback and comments as I'm deciding to upgrade my 5wood option.

I decided to go ahead with a Ping G425, 5wood; it's 17*5 degrees with the Alta CB65 Slate Graphite shaft.  It's a regular flex (please forgive me!!).  I almost pulled the trigger on a Titleist TSI2 5wood and the Callaway Rogue st Max.  I'll see how it goes with the Ping.  Someday, I'll look at upgrading the Epic Speed driver

• Like 2

Irons 4-5--Callaway Apex

SW-Cleveland CBX 56*

I hope it works for you as well as it works for me

If not, just start another thread

lol

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

21 minutes ago, me05501 said:

I played Quadpro fairway woods back when they were current. I think you'd be really comfortable with the Rogue ST Max or ST Max D line. They have a similar profile. 

I swapped through gobs of fairway woods before I landed on the Rogue Max D 16* three wood. It is money. 

I had a hunch about that, but I wanted to use my credit at 2nd swing.  There just wasn't much available in the Rogue ST Max right now (left-handed version), while the Ping g425 was available in the 5wood.  The Rogues' that were available just cost too much for my comfort zone right now, even with the credit.  If the Ping doesn't work out well for me, I'll be back on the hunt and may opt to try to the Rogue ST max as my next option.  So, yeah, if the Rogue had been available in my price range, I may have gone with that option.  There just isn't as much to choose from from the left-handed side.

• Like 1

Irons 4-5--Callaway Apex

SW-Cleveland CBX 56*

On 8/28/2023 at 6:56 PM, Kai Slater said:

Interesting, I've never really considered Cobra before.

LTDX is definitely a good option, and it's only $199 new right now. In addition to the Tsi2 (great option), the Tsi1 is worth mentioning if you think you could use a bit of help generating speed and launch (it's basically just a light-weight version of the Tsi2 having a lighter stock grip, shaft, and head)

• Like 1

Tsi2 (10*) AV RAW Blue 65TX 45.5"

G425 Max (14.5*) Ventus Blue 7X 42.25"

Apex UW (21*) Ventus Blue 7X 41"

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

RTX-6 56*-60* Nippon 120X

• 2 weeks later...

Been thinking about the TM tour issue 6 wood they have up on their site right now to be honest. Very intriguing to sit in that spot between 3W and 4i

Driver: Ping G430LST - Diamana GT 60tx

3 Wood:  TM Stealth 3W - Diamana GT 70tx

5 Wood: Ping G430 Max 5W - Tensei Pro Orange 80tx

Irons: Taylormade P770 4-PW - Modus 130s

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50.14F Modus 130x, SM9 54.12 - 58.12 - Modus 130x 

Putter: Ping PLD Anser 

Don't sleep on Tour Edge.  The last two lines especially, 722 and 723, have been really good.  Can choose between the deeper faced "C" version, or the shallower "E".  C version is adjustable, E is glued.  

• Like 1

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Lin-Q Gunmetal 6

Callaway Paradym HL (set to 15.5*) Speeder Evolution V 661

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6
Ping i530 5-UW Alta CB Black

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

Just picked up a Srixon ZX 3 wood (not Mk II) for cheap and so far it is shockingly long from the tee and easy to hit. Still testing though...

Clubs: King Cobra 454 Comp 9* / Cobra LTDx Max 3 Wood / Srixon ZX4 Irons 4-P / Titleist Wedges - S Grind / SeeMore M7x   Note: Views expressed are my opinions based on my experiences playing golf.  I reserve the right to change my opinions - without notice.