Random occurrence that will help all of us get better.

6 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

One of the big issues ams have is they place too much emphasis on individual results.  One round, one range session….even one shot.

Equating good results with good process and vice versa.

The smaller the sample size, the more meaningless the results are, good or bad.

Part of this is understanding what you’re working on.  Ams tend to think backwards.  They are working on their movement and lament results of the shot at the range and then judge the results of a shot on the course by bad movements.  

When you’re working on better movements, the short term shot results are meaningless.  When you’re working on hitting shots solid and at the target, lamenting poor body movements is counter productive.

The point, judge what you’re working on.  If you’re working on a movement, shot results be damned.  If you’re on the course, don’t judge bad body movements after every shot, just do better on the next one and realize bad shots, days, weeks and and months occur even on the tour.  The more often you change course, the slower your progress will be.

The impetus for this…..I have a tendency to early tilt my shoulders on every shot and have so for 40 years.

I’m on the chopping green and flushed about 20 in a row and distance control is erratic…..because I’m not focusing on where the ball finishes and low point. 

The 21st I dumped my right shoulder, hit well behind it and holed it.

Guy next to me says nice shot.  

I said that was the worst one I had hit in a half hour.

”…but it went in.”

I briefly described what I’ve said above.

I’m wearing a T-shirt, cargo shorts and hat backwards and he said,  “You’re never going to get better, results are all that matter.”

Long term yes, but short term NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

"chopping green" is a much more suitable name

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MBAndrews21 said:

"chopping green" is a much more suitable name

Thus the infamous Frank Lickliter incident on this same practice area.  One of the 2-3 most classic moments in my career.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

My mistake, as usual, is engaging versus just saying thank you.  Happens every time someone tries to give me tips on the range.  Hopefully someday I’ll learn.

• Like 4

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

1 hour ago, MonteScheinblum said:

The point, judge what you’re working on.  If you’re working on a movement, shot results be damned.  If you’re on the course, don’t judge bad body movements after every shot, just do better on the next one and realize bad shots, days, weeks and and months occur even on the tour.  The more often you change course, the slower your progress will be.

This is the hardest thing for me to do. Work on a new movement for months, slowly hit the ball better, then have a week of terrible shots.  Look at the video and my movements are way better and I send it to you and you say it looks great. It screws with my head, I see the bad shots and want to change something. 

TSr3  10* Tour AD VR 7x

TSr2+ 14.5* Tour AD TP 8x

TSr2 18* Tour AD TP 8x

u500 4, t100 5-PW, GW Dynamic Gold x100

SM8 54s, 60d Dynamic Gold s400

Scotty Classic Newport 

This post comes at a good time for my game. Been battling a smother hook for ages. Working with ProSendr my ball flight became very neutral with very little curve shot to shot. I must have made my swing motion is slo keeping my trail hand in the cradle for as long as possible and extend my arms in follow through a billion times like in the protocol videos. Then I must have hit 8 iron a 1000 times at 50% speed or less. It’s been gruelling and my golf ego is bruised but I know this methodology will serve me for the longterm. Unfortunately a historical neck injury has kept me from hitting balls so I’m shutting down until I’m healthy. Once I’m good to go, I’ll pick up where I left off. 

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

My mistake, as usual, is engaging versus just saying thank you.  Happens every time someone tries to give me tips on the range.  Hopefully someday I’ll learn.

Never change @MonteScheinblum, we love you just the way you are!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

Good post. I played like crap today but the things I’m working on in my swing were ok.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple D w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 70TX @45.25

3W: Taylormade M2 15* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 80X.

5W: Taylormade M6 18* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 90 TX.

Irons: Miura Retro Tournament blades 3i, 4i, and 7i. Miura MB-001 5i, 6i, 8i-PW. 3i with MMT 125TX. 4i-PW are Oak doweled, DG X100 Tiger Stepped 1/4”

lofts: 3i: 20* 4i: 24* 5i: 28* 6i: 32* 7i: 36* 8i: 40* 9i: 44* PW: 48*

Wedges: Fourteen RM4 56* DG X7, Miura 59* At 61* DG X7

Putter: Taylormade Spider

Grips: Golf pride MCC+4.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

2 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

They are working on their movement and lament results of the shot at the range and then judge the results of a shot on the course by bad movements.  

I see what you're saying.  And definitely adopt that mindset for a lot of drills.  (I'd give up golf if my self-esteem hinged on how well I hit balls in that one Broomforce drill where you start at P. 6 and try to hit the ball...)

But how are we supposed to judge whether we're performing the movements correctly if we're not to use the strike or other similar indicia like the divot, not hitting some obstacle, etc.?  Video of us trying to perform the movement and comparing that to, e.g., the takeaway in your swing video where we like to see, at parallel shaft, the left hand glove logo either perpendicular to the ground or pointing slightly towards the ground? 

Completely agree with the idea, 'If we're practicing shots, evaluate the shot; if we're practicing drills, evaluate the drill.'

38 minutes ago, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

I see what you're saying.  And definitely adopt that mindset for a lot of drills.  (I'd give up golf if my self-esteem hinged on how well I hit balls in that one Broomforce drill where you start at P. 6 and try to hit the ball...)

But how are we supposed to judge whether we're performing the movements correctly if we're not to use the strike or other similar indicia like the divot, not hitting some obstacle, etc.?  Video of us trying to perform the movement and comparing that to, e.g., the takeaway in your swing video where we like to see, at parallel shaft, the left hand glove logo either perpendicular to the ground or pointing slightly towards the ground? 

Completely agree with the idea, 'If we're practicing shots, evaluate the shot; if we're practicing drills, evaluate the drill.'

That’s the value of having an instructor who knows what he’s looking at.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Under the category of do it until you can do it and don’t waver.  How many of you would have changed direction if you had this much failure?

Im a hypocrite in life like everyone else, but in golf, I’ve been working on the same thing all year, regardless of how bad I struggle for short periods of time.

IMG_0140.png

• Like 3

BERTRAND RUSSELL

12 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Under the category of do it until you can do it and don’t waver.  How many of you would have changed direction if you had this much failure?

Im a hypocrite in life like everyone else, but in golf, I’ve been working on the same thing all year, regardless of how bad I struggle for short periods of time.

IMG_0140.png

Indeed.  That young lady looked "unconscious" and was in the zone.  Just complete freedom in her play.  One of the more impressive rounds of golf I've ever watched.  Look out for her going forward, because she figured something out mentally

• Like 2

Golfers arent much different than junkie out there. Always chasing that next quick high. We get self destructive and spend way too much money.

I've been working on a change for the last 1.5 years and it's been coming together rather we'll the last few months. Hitting every club farther than ever. Finished second in our 54 hole club championship this weekend.  Was my best total score I had in the CC, finished second twice before.

• Like 2

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

12 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Imagine giving anyone a random tip on the range, let alone someone who hits it like Monte.  Some strange people in the world.

• Like 2

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

3 hours ago, blades_are_life said:

No you gotta stay true to yourself.

If that was the case, I’d be saying, “STFU and leave me alone you hack, don’t you know I’m HIM,” about 3 times a week.  🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

BERTRAND RUSSELL

If that was the case, I’d be saying, “STFU and leave me alone you hack, don’t you know I’m HIM,” about 3 times a week.  🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

Loved the first story, maybe Frank should have just pulled the "I'm a PGA Tour pro bud" and pulled out his real PGA tour card instead of the verbal beat down.

But I can understand the frustration, the range a  lot of times is your office.

1 hour ago, Ghostwedge said:

Loved the first story, maybe Frank should have just pulled the "I'm a PGA Tour pro bud" and pulled out his real PGA tour card instead of the verbal beat down.

But I can understand the frustration, the range a  lot of times is your office.

The office……that’s the key word.

If a successful hedge fund manager had one of his whales in his office and a pizza delivery boy started the same conversation, how would that have gone?🤪

• Like 1

BERTRAND RUSSELL

On 9/4/2023 at 8:03 PM, MonteScheinblum said:

One of the big issues ams have is they place too much emphasis on individual results.  One round, one range session….even one shot.

Equating good results with good process and vice versa.

The smaller the sample size, the more meaningless the results are, good or bad.

Part of this is understanding what you’re working on.  Ams tend to think backwards.  They are working on their movement and lament results of the shot at the range and then judge the results of a shot on the course by bad movements.  

When you’re working on better movements, the short term shot results are meaningless.  When you’re working on hitting shots solid and at the target, lamenting poor body movements is counter productive.

The impetus for this…..I have a tendency to early tilt my shoulders on every shot and have so for 40 years.

I’m on the chopping green and flushed about 20 in a row and distance control is erratic…..because I’m not focusing on where the ball finishes and low point. 

The 21st I dumped my right shoulder, hit well behind it and holed it.

Guy next to me says nice shot.  

I said that was the worst one I had hit in a half hour.

”…but it went in.”

I briefly described what I’ve said above.

I’m wearing a T-shirt, cargo shorts and hat backwards and he said,  “You’re never going to get better, results are all that matter.”

Long term yes, but short term NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for posting this. It’s timely for me and quite helpful mentally. I appreciate your contributions here!

• Like 1

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

Have told this story before, but always makes me laugh.  Spent time learning short game with Monte, among other things, on a visit to Cali - next day I'm at the chipping area at the course my Dad played out in Palm Desert trying to work out ball position/feel which is totally different than how I've ever hit balls around the green and not hitting good shots as such, I fact, terrible, but working on engaging the bounce and so forth - guy who works for the course apparently watching and takes the time out of his busy morning to yell, "You're doing it all wrong!" (in a tone suggesting he was extremely invested in all golfers meeting his particular standards) and signals my needing to get the ball way back in may stance, blah, blah.  I smile, wave and basically ignore, I may have said something nice about just working on stuff, but he looked at me like I was an idiot.  Sometime later I'm in the same spot hitting wonderful little shots and an older gentleman who was watching tells me he'd pay me $100 to hit shots like I was hitting them.  LOL.  

• Like 1