Bachelor parties and prime tee times

This is the kind of crap that keeps people from playing golf. 

Just a rant: I recently booked a tee time mid-day; it's normally a 4-hour round at this course mid-day (Widgi Creek; Bend, Oregon). My friend and the other 2 players paired with us were all walking and decent to good golfers (4 to 15 caps). On the tee box, we already miss our time by nearly 10 minutes due to congestion ahead. It turns out there are 3 groups of 4, all from the same bachelor party, ahead of us! WTF. It was ridiculous. In the 4some ahead of us, 3 guys on each hole were looking for their balls. They had multiple people out there scouring, and then when someone found a ball, the cart happened to be 100 yards away somehow, causing the guy with the lost ball to have to wait for his club. Why he didn't think to bring a club along, I have no idea. On at least 1/2 of the holes, we see a "well, that's not good-why is the cart driving 50 yards backwards toward the tee box again?" scenario. Complete jackasses. 

Our 4 hour round turned into about 5:30. I had to pick up on 17 as I had somewhere to be. But hey, we got to know the group behind us pretty well at each tee box, and sometimes the group behind them! The other 3 guys were pissed: they said most of their rounds are under 3:15 as they play non-trafficked courses and were just as angry as I was to be wasting much of a day hanging out at tee boxes. 

If you are a pro shop and KNOW that you have a 12-guy bachelor party that is going to piss everyone off, why book them in the middle of the day? Or give them an upfront warning; you have to keep pace of play. Everyone knows that a bachelor's party features some hacks and a lot of booze. The Marshall was the age of a WWII vet and probably didn't want to confront drunk 28 year old dudes. 

I here you. Its not about picking on anyone, but turning a course into a frat party is never good. 

• Like 2

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Long Irons: Ping Zings 2 Iron, 3 Iron 

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 or Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW or Hogan Redline's 1988 4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  , 80s Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  60s Wilson Sandy Andy

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

Ball: Yellow Srixon Q Stars

I have been a part of that before.  The bachelor party part.  Looking back it was a poor idea on our part.  You want to have all the groomsmen there and to your point, you do end up with guys that aren't golfers and some that might be but are just interested in drinking.

If you do find yourself in that scenario, trying to host a round as part of a bachelor weekend or something, try and scramble or play alternate shot or something that moves quickly.

• Like 1

I would say the middle of the day is where they belong. I had a tee time at 7AM on a Saturday (8th group out), and I got stuck behind three foursomes in ridiculous attire playing 4 person scrambles. I could not believe that the course would let this mess out in the first hour of the day, and the entire course proceeded to back up into the afternoon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoyalMustang said:

Just a rant: I recently booked a tee time mid-day; it's normally a 4-hour round at this course mid-day (Widgi Creek; Bend, Oregon). My friend and the other 2 players paired with us were all walking and decent to good golfers (4 to 15 caps). On the tee box, we already miss our time by nearly 10 minutes due to congestion ahead. It turns out there are 3 groups of 4, all from the same bachelor party, ahead of us! WTF. It was ridiculous. In the 4some ahead of us, 3 guys on each hole were looking for their balls. They had multiple people out there scouring, and then when someone found a ball, the cart happened to be 100 yards away somehow, causing the guy with the lost ball to have to wait for his club. Why he didn't think to bring a club along, I have no idea. On at least 1/2 of the holes, we see a "well, that's not good-why is the cart driving 50 yards backwards toward the tee box again?" scenario. Complete jackasses. 

Our 4 hour round turned into about 5:30. I had to pick up on 17 as I had somewhere to be. But hey, we got to know the group behind us pretty well at each tee box, and sometimes the group behind them! The other 3 guys were pissed: they said most of their rounds are under 3:15 as they play non-trafficked courses and were just as angry as I was to be wasting much of a day hanging out at tee boxes. 

If you are a pro shop and KNOW that you have a 12-guy bachelor party that is going to piss everyone off, why book them in the middle of the day? Or give them an upfront warning; you have to keep pace of play. Everyone knows that a bachelor's party features some hacks and a lot of booze. The Marshall was the age of a WWII vet and probably didn't want to confront drunk 28 year old dudes. 

I'd have called the pro shop and raised hell, maybe multiple times.

Problems all the way around there.  Golf is the worst idea for most bachelor parties, no need to list the hundred reasons why.  It's also not up to the course to know it's a tri-lambda event :D, but it is up to the course to at least attempt to maintain pace of play.  Looks like the course had the attitude "they paid their money too..."

I really enjoy a cocktail as much as most people, but I've gotten to the point that alcohol on the course is just the worst.

• Like 3

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

3 hours ago, RoyalMustang said:

A good bachelor party does not include golf with beginners.

A great bachelor party does not include golf.    

• Thanks 2

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

The reality of it is that there is no good time for a bachelor party like this to tee off in a day. To play devil's advocate, they are paying customers and have the same right to be there as you do. How do you know that the pro shop didn't already tell them to keep pace of play?

If you are a local and want to avoid inconveniences like this, join a private club. 

I've played golf on every bachelor party I've been to (including my own) where we drank, had fun, and kept pace of play. As with everything in this world, there are outliers in every scenario which will always inconvenience someone. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Rotate the following:

Titliest TSR2 10* (@C1) Ventus TR Black 6X 

Titliest TSR2 16.5* (@A1) Fuji Speeder 8.3TS X

Titliest TSR2 21* (@A1) Fuji Atmos Blue 8X

Titliest 818H2 21* (@B3) Fuji Atmos Black 9X

Srixon ZXU 18*, ZX5 3-4, ZX7 5-PW

C-taper 125 S+ PVD Black, BBFCO "Black Ice Ice Ferrule", Pure DTX Purple Std +4 wraps

Cleveland RTX6 Raw 50*Mid Ctaper 130X, 54* Full S400 Onyx, 58* Low S400 Onyx

Mizzy MCraft VI 36.5" SS Pistol 1.0

Titliest PV1

I wouldn't call middle of the day "prime time", but I hear the complaint. No way for the course to know it was a bachelor party, or the ability of the players.

I played in one which was a bachelor's party. It was 16 of us, almost all from the same golf league, all golfers. No different than any other round. Could be that since the ages were > 45 that none of the more common problems associated with something like this occurred.

3 hours ago, mshills said:

I'd have called the pro shop and raised hell, maybe multiple times.

Problems all the way around there.  Golf is the worst idea for most bachelor parties, no need to list the hundred reasons why.  It's also not up to the course to know it's a tri-lambda event :D, but it is up to the course to at least attempt to maintain pace of play.  Looks like the course had the attitude "they paid their money too..."

I really enjoy a cocktail as much as most people, but I've gotten to the point that alcohol on the course is just the worst.

They knew it was a bachelor party: we were warned by the starter when we teed off! I complained at the turn and he said the marshall assured him it was only 2 hours on the back nine (ended up being 3).  I also called the Widgi Creek pro shop and the guy said "well, I had a 5 and a 1/2 hour round at Tokatee last week but it's such a beautiful area I didn't mind".

Good for him: he probably didn't have dinner with wife and friends planned 6 hours after he teed off. 

Moral of the story: that course won't get my money again. The day before, I had played Juniper Golf Club in Redmond (a 7200 yard course) and we walked it at 3:20. Great pace of play; there were groups on every hole but no bachelor parties! 

• Like 1

No idea of the drive involved and so forth, but honestly if someone told me I was following a bachelor party, I'd just leave and forget about playing that day - I'm to a point where I don't pay for 90% guaranteed frustration.  If you make the knowing choice to follow, may as well accept the fact you've lost control of your life for most of the rest of the day.

• Like 2

On 9/13/2023 at 3:26 PM, Hawkeye77 said:

No idea of the drive involved and so forth, but honestly if someone told me I was following a bachelor party, I'd just leave and forget about playing that day - I'm to a point where I don't pay for 90% guaranteed frustration.  If you make the knowing choice to follow, may as well accept the fact you've lost control of your life for most of the rest of the day.

Looking back, it's definitely a lesson learned! I was being overly optimistic "hey, they are probably all courteous golfers, right....?"

What pissed me off was calling and complaining and getting the "well, that's life, some round are 5.5 hours" retort. No more Widgi Creek play for me. 

• Like 1

I've been parked behind some "groups" many times in my golfing life. Can't deny it's annoying, but what are you gonna do?

Best option is to suck it up and deal. 

If you are the group directly behind, you are honestly in the best position to get some residual beers/cocktails and hijinks. Who knows what you might see? I mean, I've been stuck behind the staff of a local strip club before. Was I complaining?

At the end of the day, I'd rather be remembered for the cool dude that the bachelor party felt sorry for and gave free drinks to in in response to holding him up all day...than the douchebag getting all agro and constantly complaining.

You just gotta "Bill Murray" it sometimes (without the creepy bits, of course!). 

Edited by jholz

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

I don't get the recent trend the last few years of bringing bachelor parties out to the golf course.  They always end up like this.  Bachelor parties serve one purpose, and it's not to play golf.  If the course didn't do anything, dispute the charge with you CC company.  I've had some success over the years with that when I wasn't able to finish a round because of slow play. The course didn't provide you the experience that you paid for, and you weren't able to get your full round in because of it.

• Thanks 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy