Why Am I the only one that thinks the T100 and T150 irons feel horrible?

Wardonation

22 hours ago, MelloYello said:

Titleist MBs tend to be some of the more punishing in terms of feel so they're just about as hard to hit as any on the market if you're in search of good feel. It's there, but boy do you have to earn it!

Over the last 20 years Titleist MBs won on looks but lost out to consumers who pretty much universally thought Mizuno, Nike, Miura and others made better feeling MBs. If you were on these boards 10 years ago that's all you read: "why are Titleist MBs so clicky...". I'd attribute that to Mizuno having a friendly sole (more bounce), Nike having a larger face (and plenty of Pro Combo sets available) and Miura just being a mythical brand. I seriously doubt there was much more to it. They were virtually identical if you were flushing them.

During that time Titleist did use endo to forge their blades along with mizuno so it wasn't a question of material its just the classic case of form vs function in that sweet spot was literally smaller than a penny 😳

I love the 150’s, they feel great to me on center strikes and definitely let me know when they’re off center but still go straight and 90% of the distance 

On DGX100’s 

Driver:           45" Titleist TSR3 Fujikura Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6X 
Fairway:        Titleist TSR2 3 Wood Mitsubishi 1K Black 75g X
Hybrid:          Titleist TSR2 4 Hybrid Mitsubishi 1k Black 85g X

Irons:             Mizuno Pro 243 Modus 105x
Wedges:       Blue Mizuno T24 50/56/60 
Putter:           LAB Golf Blue 37" CB DF3 w/ White Accra Shaft

Ball:               Pro V1/MaxFli Tour
Bag:               VESSEL Grey Player III Stand   

I sold the T150s within a week of using them and re-bought a set of T100S. I wouldn't call the T100S "soft" but they do have a unique feel that feels powerful and a nice 'snap'. The T150s almost feel like a bunch engineers from a different industry were put in a room with forged clubs and said "go make this 'soft'". Its a strange feel.

Edited by dlovage
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I have the previous two generations of the T100, I loved the older one (2018ish). The previous one and the current one also feel quite hard and "clicky" to me, but I've also used Miura MC502s pretty much exclusively for the past year so it's not an entirely fair comparison

I like Vokeys because I treat wedges as more of a consumable than a club, I owned some Miura tour wedges but they looked too chunky at address and I didn't like them at all. 

I have some Artisan wedges that are undergoing a shaft swap now, those are by far the worst feeling in terms of impact though. Every time I hit one my friend would turn around thinking I shanked it even though it was a great strike

PXG's Sugar Daddy II's are also pretty clicky but I'd still say they feel pretty good to hit. Can't quantify why

I did absolutely love the TSR2 when I played it last weekend though and I've ordered one. No driver has felt this right for me, the ball feels like it's going to blow up on impact

EIther way, this is all a very long way to say that Titleist to me has become a company that I go to for putters above all, as of recent woods too, and lastly irons. They just feel a little too mechanical somehow

I think the CB's are the best feeling/sounding in the range. 

• Like 2

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60L Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

6 hours ago, mvvraz said:

I have the previous two generations of the T100, I loved the older one (2018ish). The previous one and the current one also feel quite hard and "clicky" to me, but I've also used Miura MC502s pretty much exclusively for the past year so it's not an entirely fair comparison

I like Vokeys because I treat wedges as more of a consumable than a club, I owned some Miura tour wedges but they looked too chunky at address and I didn't like them at all. 

I have some Artisan wedges that are undergoing a shaft swap now, those are by far the worst feeling in terms of impact though. Every time I hit one my friend would turn around thinking I shanked it even though it was a great strike

PXG's Sugar Daddy II's are also pretty clicky but I'd still say they feel pretty good to hit. Can't quantify why

I did absolutely love the TSR2 when I played it last weekend though and I've ordered one. No driver has felt this right for me, the ball feels like it's going to blow up on impact

EIther way, this is all a very long way to say that Titleist to me has become a company that I go to for putters above all, as of recent woods too, and lastly irons. They just feel a little too mechanical somehow

I’d get the artisans checked out as I’ve got the wedges and the irons and are by far the best feeling I’ve hit I’ve got s200’s in the wedges 

The 2021 100 and 100S are modern classics, tremendous in every way. Now if you're talking about the 2023 100 and 150, yeah I think they took a step back, especially the 150. It's like they removed the elements of the 100S that made it such a great head in the first place and reduced it to a generic run of the mill head.

• Thanks 1

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Black 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon MKii DI 3 Axiom 105

Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-PW KBS Tour 

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

Haven’t tried the new ones but hated feeling of last gen t100. Tried a fitters set of their MBs and loved it, felt just as good as my set of tc 502.  I had previously tried the 101s and didn’t care for them.

Same feeling when I tried the SM9s,(seeing other posters comment) felt very clicky

Always going to be subjective and vary from user to user.  Swing your swing, game your clubs, have fun !

‘Horrible’ is a bit extreme..unless you can’t find the center of the face. The T100 is one of the “bladiest” (for lack of a better term) cavity-back style offerings in comparison to it’s competitors. It’s a small package. So it shouldn’t be a surprise that it’s gonna feel a touch harsher on off-center strikes than some other options.

I can’t speak for the T150 but all i’ve been hearing is positive besides for some of the comments in this thread. I’d expect it to feel softer than the T100 given the larger profile..

And the stock AMT shafts are quite a bit different traditional DG’s, and probably don’t feel as nice to most people

Tsi2 (10*) AV RAW Blue 65TX 45.5"

G425 Max (14.5*) Ventus Blue 7X 42.25"

Apex UW (21*) Ventus Blue 7X 41"

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

RTX-6 56*-60* Nippon 120X

3 hours ago, mjo23 said:

‘Horrible’ is a bit extreme..unless you can’t find the center of the face. The T100 is one of the “bladiest” (for lack of a better term) cavity-back style offerings in comparison to it’s competitors. It’s a small package. So it shouldn’t be a surprise that it’s gonna feel a touch harsher on off-center strikes than some other options.

I can’t speak for the T150 but all i’ve been hearing is positive besides for some of the comments in this thread. I’d expect it to feel softer than the T100 given the larger profile..

And the stock AMT shafts are quite a bit different traditional DG’s, and probably don’t feel as nice to most people

I agree with this.  Not horrible.  The t150 isn’t a one piece forging.  It’s a multi material head with a forged face.  Compared to the mizuno 223, apex pro, p770, ping i230, zx5 it feels very similar.  Its more of a dense, heavy thud verse some others but you can feel the help you are getting.

its a great club if you want to play a club that has the aesthetics of a blade but you dont quite get the distance and launch needed out of a blade.

• Like 1

Have we forgotten this post so soon?

The T100 is rated by Maltby as GI.  Do you expect it to feel (whatever that means) like a blade?

As to what feel means, IIRC some pros hit balls with ear plugs and could not tell the difference between the feel of different clubs, suggesting feel is sound.

But those were pros, who hit the ball in the same place (and the correct place) every time.  I can see where it is also possible that hits away from the COG might well feel bad, because by one definition they are poor shots, and by another the COG is in the wrong place.

The COG of those Titleists may be too far towards the toe for pros, and too far towards the hosel for toe strikers, and just right for Jeff.

• Like 1

above all, remember that feel is a subjective thing. I personally don't see the big deal about how Mizuno irons feel -- just dull and kinda lifeless. Miura oth are hot and electric, and I can see why they wow a lot of people. wrt my current irons ZX5's, i read a review online about how bad they feel, iirc reviewer said almost cast. lol nothing could be further from the truth in my mind, i love that somewhat firmer forged feel, makes me look forward to hitting them.

• Like 2

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Black 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon MKii DI 3 Axiom 105

Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-PW KBS Tour 

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

2 hours ago, Yuck said:

TCB’s for a couple years and they feel like Mizuno’s compared to the T100.

The T100 has a spot that feels every bit as good as my MBs.  However,  that spot is teeny tiny.  Close feels solid but clicky.  When you get the spot you can also count on 5 yards more carry than the solid click.

13 hours ago, JD3 said:

above all, remember that feel is a subjective thing. I personally don't see the big deal about how Mizuno irons feel -- just dull and kinda lifeless. Miura oth are hot and electric, and I can see why they wow a lot of people. wrt my current irons ZX5's, i read a review online about how bad they feel, iirc reviewer said almost cast. lol nothing could be further from the truth in my mind, i love that somewhat firmer forged feel, makes me look forward to hitting them.

Agreed. And the Zx5's feel amazing, forget about that review. You can find bad "reviews" for every iron out there. And this isn’t a dig towards OP, I don’t disagree that softer irons in the same category exist, but feel is 1.) personal and 2.) pointless; it’s about performance, and a center strikes will never feel “horrible”. I just think *some* people often put out, or follow, these types of hot-takes to make themselves feel better in some capacity; maybe to feel better about their decision to purchase an alternative option, bc we all want to think we are buying the “best” available option for our skillset when we’re dropping ~$1300 on irons. It’s normal to want to feel like you made the best investment/choice possible, but the best option available is, more often than not, going to vary from person-to-person and will often times simply be personal preference; even at equivalent skill levels.

It could also simply be how someone genuinely feels about the club, which I think is the case with OP here (despite “horrible” being a pretty over-the-top description for both of the T100&T150; which is a little confusing since they feel quite a bit different from each other), but one's own perception of "feel" has little-to-no indication on how it will feel or (more importantly) perform for others

And as I've already mentioned: the T100's are probably too small of a profile for a lot of golfers - they're significantly smaller than my old AP2's - which might come as an unpleasant surprise for someone intent on the T100's being their new replacements for their old AP2's, or whatever iron they're coming from, only to learn that they probably need something with a larger profile, more offset, etc, for more confidence (insert T150..?). There’s a solid amount of forgiveness in the T100 but it’s without a doubt one of the smaller players-irons, excluding pure blades of course

This isn’t to say that people's gripes with the feel of certain irons aren't valid. Again, I love my T100's, but I don't think OP is totally wrong assuming he’s talking about off-center strikes or if he’s used to a soft iron (T150 🤔). Other options do exist if you want mishits to feel better. But, again, mishits probably aren't suppose to feel great. Lets also remember, for fair testing purposes, that shafts play a pretty large role in feel

Edited by mjo23
  • Like 2

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

21 hours ago, Yuck said:

I agree the feel is not great.  I played the 716 CB for a couple years and those felt great.  I have played the the TCB’s for a couple years and they feel like Mizuno’s compared to the T100.

I have a set of TCBs en route to come replace my T100's.  Understanding my disdain for my T100's (the sole and I do not get along after 6 months of trying), and yearning for my old Callaway MBs, the TCBs seem more like what I'm looking for.  still have yet to have a chance to hit them, but your comment is quite validating.  fingers crossed because I'm really over tinkering at the moment.  

I've never experienced it, but you are NOT alone.

If you want soft, shell out the $$$$ for Miura S20C soft carbon; the softest club heads I have experienced.  My problem with that degree of "soft" is the metal whispers to my hands through quality steel shafts, and near undetectable with composite.  Add composite to CB/GI forgiveness, there's no sensory vibration to speak of to measure.  However, that's great if someone contends with medical issues.

Nonetheless, a bit firmer forged 1025 620 MB, 620 CB and T100 irons with PX steel shafts, they talk nicely to my hands.  Install composite MMT shafts to each of those heads, they still feed sensory vibrations to my hands, so no need to look up to see where the ball is traveling.  I also played 670 MB, 714 CB & 718 CB & MB.

Last, sensing impact and identifying what the ball is doing off the face of any clubhead or design has everything to do with the users' sensory nerve receptors in their hands.  If those are damaged, regardless of head material, feeling the club head is questionable.  Related note, my buddy is a cardiac surgeon, and wears two gloves expressly to protect his hands for surgery.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113-SW.
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

28 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Related note, my buddy is a cardiac surgeon, and wears two gloves expressly to protect his hands for surgery.

This might be the only acceptable reason for someone to wear two gloves 😂😂 That’s great

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

7 minutes ago, mjo23 said:

This might be the only acceptable reason for someone to wear two gloves 😂😂 That’s great

LOL Agree. 

• TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113-SW.
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

18 hours ago, socalbonzi said:

I have a set of TCBs en route to come replace my T100's.  Understanding my disdain for my T100's (the sole and I do not get along after 6 months of trying), and yearning for my old Callaway MBs, the TCBs seem more like what I'm looking for.  still have yet to have a chance to hit them, but your comment is quite validating.  fingers crossed because I'm really over tinkering at the moment.  

I consider the TCB’s to be akin to slightly better feeling S55’s.  Similar size, sole, lofts & performance.  I played S55’s for years both before and after my 716CB’s.

I’ve Been playing the 2022 iteration of t100’s. Absolutely Love them.

Just hit the “new” 2023 t100’s. Was planning on driving to SD to get fit for a new set at the institute. Plan aborted.

IMO I like feeling a miss hit. The new t100’s feel like throwing at golf ball against a concrete wall. Zero face feel. Hit them about the same (+\- 180 7 iron carry) but the face has the same feel, maybe worse, than the CNCPT-01. Basically it feels like a game improvement iron. 

At this point I think I’m just going to buy the mizuno 225’s which are like butter. 

I have the 2023 t100 irons. Immediately meshed well with them. Best feeling irons I have felt since my old Macgregor vip 1025CB irons.  They feel just a little livelier than the mizuno 223s I have been playing.

I have to say though these irons feel much better with Nippon n*modus pro irons than the stock true temper shafts.

IMG_2302.jpeg

IMG_2301.jpeg

IMG_2304.jpeg

Driver: Titleist TSR3 - Fujikura Ventus TR Velocore Red 6-X 

3 wood: Titleist TSR2 - Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 7-X

3-GW: Titleist T-100 Nippon N.S.Pro Nodus Tour 105 S

SW, LW: Callaway Jaws RAW 54* and 58*

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 6.5

Ball: MaxFli Tour-x; Titleist ProV1; Callaway Chrome soft X

On 9/21/2023 at 1:31 PM, Wardonation said:

Played AP's for long time. Ever since the swithc to T100's, I feel like the irons have never felt like "butter". They feel way to firm to me. I love the looks of the Titleist just hate the feel. It has got to be the tungsten in them. I play the CObra Tours this year and they feel good but not great. I think my PXG ST's felt the best of all though. Am I the only one that thinks this?

I have both 0221st blades and t150s.

It's not apples to apples bc of differing shafts (graphite in pxg steel in Titleist) but the PXG irons are definitely softer getting, I agree. 

With that said though, I used to think butter soft was where it's at but honestly I don't really get bothered by it much any more. Any forged club that gets struck out of the middle with a quality urethane ball is going to feel very good... and softness doesn't lower my score. 

• Like 3