Best WARM winter golf jacket

NevinW

On 10/12/2023 at 6:46 AM, mmoran said:

Footjoy lined sweater is the best combination of warmth and unrestricted swing I've found.  Add a vest if it's in the 30's.

This ^

Just got one of the lined sweaters two days ago and at first I was a little concerned that it was just too thin and lightweight to serve its intended purpose.  Over the years I've had several of the much heftier FootJoy lined pullovers that were extremely warm but considerably more bulky than this version.

However I wore it yesterday for the first time and was most impressed.  I had on an Under Armour Heat Gear mock and the FootJoy sweater and the temperature was 43 with a steady 15 mph breeze blowing.  Cold enough that you definitely had to keep your ears covered - you know that "eye watering" kind of cold and wind.

Anyways I couldn't believe how warm and windproof that sweater was.  The high got to 48 for about a half an hour and when the sun started going down it dropped back into the low 40's real quick like and the wind never subsided.

Slipped on a Peter Millar vest for the last hole for a little extra warmth but never once got cold and I'm an old guy that doesn't do cold well at all.

To be honest I never really expected to wear just the sweater to play yesterday.  I only took it along to kind of field test to see if it would work at all but fully expected to have to change into something much more substantial as it was pretty dang cold.

Anyways I'm completely sold on the FootJoy lined sweater.  The only way it could be better is if it had pockets although I know most guys don't like 'em in a pullover.

At $165 it ain't cheap but it's well worth the money in my opinion and I'll likely pick up another one in a different color now that I know how good it is.

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

9 hours ago, vernon said:

This ^

Just got one of the lined sweaters two days ago and at first I was a little concerned that it was just too thin and lightweight to serve its intended purpose.  Over the years I've had several of the much heftier FootJoy lined pullovers that were extremely warm but considerably more bulky than this version.

However I wore it yesterday for the first time and was most impressed.  I had on an Under Armour Heat Gear mock and the FootJoy sweater and the temperature was 43 with a steady 15 mph breeze blowing.  Cold enough that you definitely had to keep your ears covered - you know that "eye watering" kind of cold and wind.

Anyways I couldn't believe how warm and windproof that sweater was.  The high got to 48 for about a half an hour and when the sun started going down it dropped back into the low 40's real quick like and the wind never subsided.

Slipped on a Peter Millar vest for the last hole for a little extra warmth but never once got cold and I'm an old guy that doesn't do cold well at all.

To be honest I never really expected to wear just the sweater to play yesterday.  I only took it along to kind of field test to see if it would work at all but fully expected to have to change into something much more substantial as it was pretty dang cold.

Anyways I'm completely sold on the FootJoy lined sweater.  The only way it could be better is if it had pockets although I know most guys don't like 'em in a pullover.

At $165 it ain't cheap but it's well worth the money in my opinion and I'll likely pick up another one in a different color now that I know how good it is.

Ive contemplated that pocketless Footjoy lined sweater for quite a number of years now. Only problem is when the weather calls for that sweater it usually means 40s and blowing. And when its 40s with windchill, my hands are going to be cold too. So where do i put them lol ?? And thats why i dont own it. I love midlayers/pullovers with pockets. Theyre not easy to come by tho. 

TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

13 hours ago, bunta said:

Ive contemplated that pocketless Footjoy lined sweater for quite a number of years now. Only problem is when the weather calls for that sweater it usually means 40s and blowing. And when its 40s with windchill, my hands are going to be cold too. So where do i put them lol ?? And thats why i dont own it. I love midlayers/pullovers with pockets. Theyre not easy to come by tho. 

Agreed.

I'm planning on adding a lightweight vest (with pockets) when conditions are as you describe.

Even without the pockets it's a damn fine garment though.

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Yeah all the way into the mid 40s I just wear a typical polo with a Nike 1/4 zip over it and my KJUS rain jacket and I’m good.  That stops the wind and keeps me warm inside.  I wear the FJ mittens in between holes that have hot hand warmers in them.  I have a Ping Norse but it’s a tad bulky unless it’s sub 40 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder how the mobile warming heated vest from Costco performs.  Unlike my other heated vests which are insulated and puffy, this one is a base layer heated vest.   Then you could put a lighter shell over the top and stay relatively light up top and stay warm.  Hmm. Seems interesting.  Anyone try it ? IMG_0595.jpeg.e86168e14c6b384ba30eb6ee4bfe9795.jpegIMG_0594.jpeg.31494e16058cd008d0fced59ecfcb53e.jpeg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Minarets said:

I wonder how the mobile warming heated vest from Costco performs.  Unlike my other heated vests which are insulated and puffy, this one is a base layer heated vest.   Then you could put a lighter shell over the top and stay relatively light up top and stay warm.  Hmm. Seems interesting.  Anyone try it ? IMG_0595.jpeg.e86168e14c6b384ba30eb6ee4bfe9795.jpegIMG_0594.jpeg.31494e16058cd008d0fced59ecfcb53e.jpeg

Got this and will give it a go.  $100 and Costco has great return policy.  Will try it out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ruleschamp said:

The only negative of the FJ lined sweater for me previously was that it was too heavy.  The latest version is a sleeker version and doesn't feel as heavy.   I like that.

Minarets -- give us an update once you try it for a round or two if you don't mind.   That looks interesting to me.

Will do. It’s very thin. Fleece lined. The outer shell is more of a windbreaker type. But this is definitely a base layer. And not like an outer thicker, warmer vest. Which I like the idea of to wear under like a rain shell that will keep the wind off and still stay relatively light up top.

edit: just tried it on.  It runs small.  Maybe that’s not the best way to word it.  It is an undergarment, so to say.  It not an outer shell.  I am a XL in most and zips and stretches fine it’s juts something i would never wear on the outside. But I think that’s the point. It is kind of compression but not tight.  Like fitted.  Seems built well.  Thin, fleece inner lining. Windproof like outer.  Has a great silicone strip around the bottom to stay put like a lot of shorts.  

the battery is SMALL. wondering how long it will last.  Shows 7hrs at 25%.  3hrs at 50%. So will be interesting. Would need a backup if you need full power for 4+ hr round. 

playing tomorrow morning in 42° weather so we will see.  Hope to wear a long sleeve shirt, vest and rain jacket.  Will see.  

Edited by Minarets
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok. Here are my thoughts.  Played yesterday. 42° to start the round at 9am. It was cloudy all day and windy. It was tough to start out there.  I didn’t turn on the vest until I really needed it as I was worried about battery life. As soon as I was done on range I was cold so turned it on going to #1. The app works great. Can control all settings from there.  

i had on a 32 degree long sleeve shirt, the vest and my KJUS rain jacket.  I turned the vest to 25%. Was hoping to never use more since the battery life says 7hrs at 25%. By hole #4 I was too hot and starting to sweat some.  It was 45° by then.  Still overcast and windy.  Ended up taking it off all together as I didn’t want to sweat then get cold.  It did awesome at 25% keeping me toasty for about an hour.

I like the fit. At first I didn’t as I was thinking it was a vest that I would wear on top like all the others I have but it states it’s a base layer and it is. Sits snug but stretches and has plenty of range.  Again, battery is small. Like the size of packet of gum. I didn’t really get to test the life of it unfortunately.  It would be great to wear to a football game or something you’d be sitting at for a long time.  But for golf I got to think hard how often I’d use it.  It’s the only reason I bought it.  It certainly helped yesterday but I won’t find many playing partners when it’s colder than 40 and overcast.  

I do like it tho and if you want to keep layers light up top when playing in cold, I would recommend this.  It’s built well. No clue how long it will last but love the fleece lining and silicone strip at bottom to keep it still. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/23/2023 at 8:50 AM, Minarets said:

Ok. Here are my thoughts.  Played yesterday. 42° to start the round at 9am. It was cloudy all day and windy. It was tough to start out there.  I didn’t turn on the vest until I really needed it as I was worried about battery life. As soon as I was done on range I was cold so turned it on going to #1. The app works great. Can control all settings from there.  

i had on a 32 degree long sleeve shirt, the vest and my KJUS rain jacket.  I turned the vest to 25%. Was hoping to never use more since the battery life says 7hrs at 25%. By hole #4 I was too hot and starting to sweat some.  It was 45° by then.  Still overcast and windy.  Ended up taking it off all together as I didn’t want to sweat then get cold.  It did awesome at 25% keeping me toasty for about an hour.

I like the fit. At first I didn’t as I was thinking it was a vest that I would wear on top like all the others I have but it states it’s a base layer and it is. Sits snug but stretches and has plenty of range.  Again, battery is small. Like the size of packet of gum. I didn’t really get to test the life of it unfortunately.  It would be great to wear to a football game or something you’d be sitting at for a long time.  But for golf I got to think hard how often I’d use it.  It’s the only reason I bought it.  It certainly helped yesterday but I won’t find many playing partners when it’s colder than 40 and overcast.  

I do like it tho and if you want to keep layers light up top when playing in cold, I would recommend this.  It’s built well. No clue how long it will last but love the fleece lining and silicone strip at bottom to keep it still. 

I've been looking for something like this for the last several winters.  

I've tried several different versions and have returned them all.

One fit weird, one had pitiful battery life and one was just way too bulky.

Each one was shipped directly from China although the quality of a couple wasn't too bad.

Just ordered the Costco version although I got a feeling it's going to be too small.

Wish they offered a XXL but we'll see.

Regardless thanks for posting and the review!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vernon said:

I've been looking for something like this for the last several winters.  

I've tried several different versions and have returned them all.

One fit weird, one had pitiful battery life and one was just way too bulky.

Each one was shipped directly from China although the quality of a couple wasn't too bad.

Just ordered the Costco version although I got a feeling it's going to be too small.

Wish they offered a XXL but we'll see.

Regardless thanks for posting and the review!

They do have XXL in store 

this one is made in Bangladesh according to the box. Also, battery life is my only concern. It’s nice not having a big, bulky heavy battery like some of my other vests. This thing is hardly noticeable, but again at full power isn’t going to last you very long. but at 25% I was already starting to sweat in 42° overcast and windy 

Edited by Minarets
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Minarets said:

this one is made in Bangladesh according to the box. Also, battery life is my only concern. It’s nice not having a big, bulky heavy battery like some of my other vests. This thing is hardly noticeable, but again at full power isn’t going to last you very long. but at 25% I was already starting to sweat in 42° overcast and windy 

Can you hook up a different battery/power bank to it or do you have to only use the one that comes with it?

11 minutes ago, Unteachable said:

Can you hook up a different battery/power bank to it or do you have to only use the one that comes with it?

It does not take a generic usb a connection.  It has one of those skinny dac plugs that goes in to the battery 

I did just look at their site. fieldsheer is the brand.  They have replacement batteries and a XL option that comes with the premium jackets.  May be worth the $40 or so to get that if the vest works.  I love the fit and base layer type to keep me in a light jacket to swing freely.  May get another battery.  IMG_0612.png.d876ca4d8164206ce93a951eaf938927.pngIMG_0611.png.1ec8322f8af136489a122634063b4a0a.png

Edited by Minarets
  • Thanks 1

This is their XL battery times.  I was trying to see how long I could last with 25% since that gave me the runtime. I thought I would need to get a full round of golf in. Was afraid if I got too cold I would kill the battery too soon on what you get. However, I never did get cold enough as I had to ditch the vest after three holes or four holes because I was too warm. but a back up battery especially the tiny one would be perfect.   It’s the smallest battery I’ve ever had in one of these jackets. My other heated jackets come with like 10,000 million batteries that weigh a ton and get annoying when trying to swing the golf club.

IMG_0613.png

I think the bigger question, and not judging, but who the heck wants to play golf below 45 degrees, and even 45 for me is pushing it. That's said as a 59 year old, who has come to hate the cold. When I was younger, I routinely played in the 30's and didn't care. 

That said, I love UnderArmours Men's ColdGear® Infrared Long Sleeve Golf Mock, NOT their fitted mock (the former is $70 vs $55 of the fitted mock). It's so much better than the fitted mock, as the infared is warmer, and the fit is not like a scuba suit, and also not loose, I call it just right. Then from there, I will use a vest, a variety of 1/4 zips of various thickness, and a SunMountain wind sweater. I have a SunIce jacket that is just too hot. Just picked up on Black Friday sale a PUMA primaloft jacket with the "thinner" sleeves thing here that everyone mentions, and we shall see, but it fit amazing at the store, and found it 25% off online.

Interesting on the Arc'Teryx Atom, to those that have it, how is the fit? In Puma, Adidas, et al, I usually wear XL.

Anyway, don't sleep on the infared ColdGear Mock, best $70 base layer, owned mine for years, and all starts with that garment for me.

12 minutes ago, mikec3672 said:

I think the bigger question, and not judging, but who the heck wants to play golf below 45 degrees, and even 45 for me is pushing it. That's said as a 59 year old, who has come to hate the cold. When I was younger, I routinely played in the 30's and didn't care. 

That said, I love UnderArmours Men's ColdGear® Infrared Long Sleeve Golf Mock, NOT their fitted mock (the former is $70 vs $55 of the fitted mock). It's so much better than the fitted mock, as the infared is warmer, and the fit is not like a scuba suit, and also not loose, I call it just right. Then from there, I will use a vest, a variety of 1/4 zips of various thickness, and a SunMountain wind sweater. I have a SunIce jacket that is just too hot. Just picked up on Black Friday sale a PUMA primaloft jacket with the "thinner" sleeves thing here that everyone mentions, and we shall see, but it fit amazing at the store, and found it 25% off online.

Interesting on the Arc'Teryx Atom, to those that have it, how is the fit? In Puma, Adidas, et al, I usually wear XL.

Anyway, don't sleep on the infared ColdGear Mock, best $70 base layer, owned mine for years, and all starts with that garment for me.

I ain't playing below 45 degrees either but at almost 71 years old I get plenty cold at 55 degrees if it's cloudy and the wind is blowing and I do still wanna play when it's over 45 if other conditions are reasonable.

Fortunately I have my own cart with a DoorWorks enclosure and a propane heater or I wouldn't last eighteen holes in anything under 55 degrees these days.

Still I'm always looking for something to keep my back warm as it's long been a problem area and gets stiff and tight in no time when it's cold.  However it seems that all the heated vests that I've tried concentrate the heat in the upper back (if there's heat in the back at all) and that doesn't do me any good.

I've been trying to find a USB powered electric blanket that I could sit on and/or lean back against in the cart but haven't had any luck.

Next is some way to keep my feet warm but the heated socks that I've tried weren't very good nor were they comfortable.

I live on our golf course and it kills me to look out the window at guys in open carts playing when it's in the thirties, cloudy, and spitting rain with a twenty mile an hour wind.

I know I used to do that stuff back in the day too (as well as hunt and fish) but now it makes me shiver just to think about it!

• Like 1

Picked up Sun Mountain og Colter Jacket. Wore it over a F&J lined sweater and was warm with no restriction playing at 40degrees with wind.  Cheap and very happy with performance. 

Stealth OG 10.5 Ventus Red 6s

Epic flash 18deg Fujikura pro 6.0s

Maverick 21deg 7wd Fujikura pro 7.0S

5i-Aw Srixon ZX5  KBS TGI 100

52 Glide 4.0 SS KBS TGI 100

56 Glide 4.0 WS KBS TGI 100

60 Glide 4.0 TS KBS TGI 100

Lab DF3 70 deg 35.5" Accra Black

On 11/26/2023 at 10:02 AM, mikec3672 said:

I’m one of those knuckleheads who will play in anything, and if you want to play in PA over the winter, sometimes you’re going to have to play when its in the 20’s or 30’s. Frozen green present a whole new world of challenges! 😂

So I just snagged an Arc’teryx Atom due in large part to this thread (thanks guys!). Fit pretty much true to size, but I ended up sizing up because there was little to no flex in the material and I wanted to have enough room to move in the swing. It was 33* and blowing hard today and I was wearing that jacket for work and was shocked how warm it was. So I have pretty high expectations for it for the golf course.

Edited by DoughBack18
  • Like 2

Arc'teryx Atom = true to size.  I wear XL shirts (sometimes L if they run large) - prefer looser fitting clothes vs tight.

Have the Atom in XL.  5'10" 190 lbs.

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

25 minutes ago, monkeyboy said:

Arc'teryx Atom = true to size.  I wear XL shirts (sometimes L if they run large) - prefer looser fitting clothes vs tight.

Have the Atom in XL.  5'10" 190 lbs.

I have XL and a XXL. I am 230lbs. Both fit fine. The XL is how I prefer to wear it inside a shell for rain   If I was swinging maybe the XXL. There isn’t a lot of give with them.  It would tear. 

Stealth OG 10.5 Ventus Red 6s

Epic flash 18deg Fujikura pro 6.0s

Maverick 21deg 7wd Fujikura pro 7.0S

5i-Aw Srixon ZX5  KBS TGI 100

52 Glide 4.0 SS KBS TGI 100

56 Glide 4.0 WS KBS TGI 100

60 Glide 4.0 TS KBS TGI 100

Lab DF3 70 deg 35.5" Accra Black

On 11/24/2023 at 9:42 AM, Minarets said:

I haven't been able to find them in any of the Costco's in our area so I ordered the XL online and it showed up yesterday.  Actually the fit is surprisingly good.  I'd still like to try the XX just to see but I'm sure if I just wear this over a mock neck it would be fine.

I really do like how thin and lightweight it is although even though it's designed to be worn as a base layer I wish it had pockets.  Not a showstopper by any means however.

I also like the little rubber trim band around the bottom that keeps it from riding up - should be helpful when swinging a golf club I would think.

It also has a heat element in the lower back portion which is huge to me and as best I could tell is exclusive to this particular vest.  None of the other Fieldsheer styles that I looked at had heat in that area - only up above.

I charged up the battery and turned it on this morning just sitting at the computer and on high it went from 100% to 75% in about thirty minutes.  Turned it down to the three quarter setting and about forty five minutes later it was at 50%.  Switched to low and it stayed on for almost two more hours before it died.

Think I'm going to order a spare battery to have just in case but overall I think this thing is going to work out pretty well and for ninety nine bucks it's a relative bargain.

And you're right - this is the smallest and lightest weight battery I've ever seen for this sort of application.  

Downright tiny by comparison.

Appreciate you posting the review!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vernon said:

I haven't been able to find them in any of the Costco's in our area so I ordered the XL online and it showed up yesterday.  Actually the fit is surprisingly good.  I'd still like to try the XX just to see but I'm sure if I just wear this over a mock neck it would be fine.

I really do like how thin and lightweight it is although even though it's designed to be worn as a base layer I wish it had pockets.  Not a showstopper by any means however.

I also like the little rubber trim band around the bottom that keeps it from riding up - should be helpful when swinging a golf club I would think.

It also has a heat element in the lower back portion which is huge to me and as best I could tell is exclusive to this particular vest.  None of the other Fieldsheer styles that I looked at had heat in that area - only up above.

I charged up the battery and turned it on this morning just sitting at the computer and on high it went from 100% to 75% in about thirty minutes.  Turned it down to the three quarter setting and about forty five minutes later it was at 50%.  Switched to low and it stayed on for almost two more hours before it died.

Think I'm going to order a spare battery to have just in case but overall I think this thing is going to work out pretty well and for ninety nine bucks it's a relative bargain.

And you're right - this is the smallest and lightest weight battery I've ever seen for this sort of application.  

Downright tiny by comparison.

Appreciate you posting the review!

It really is the smallest battery I’ve seen for one of these things.  I am ordering a backup to make sure I can get a full round on high heat but don’t think I’d ever do that.  I played in 40° wet and windy and cloudy… felt way colder then the temp.  And didn’t need more than 50% heat/power. 

yes the silicone strip works great. 

Edited by Minarets

5 minutes ago, Minarets said:

It really is the smallest battery I’ve seen for one of these things.  I am ordering a backup to make sure I can get a full round on high heat but don’t think I’d ever do that.  I played in 40° wet and windy and cloudy… felt way colder then the temp.  And didn’t need more than 50% heat/power. 

yes the silicone strip works great. 

Are you gonna get one of the OEM batteries or a generic?

I saw that Amazon has a pack of two of the 7.4 volt lithiums for $39 that are 3000 mAh as opposed to the 2250 mAh of the Fieldsheer model although they appear to be a little bit larger.

And it's two for the price of one.

They look quite a bit like the 7.4 that came with my GTech hand warmer pouch.

31 minutes ago, vernon said:

Are you gonna get one of the OEM batteries or a generic?

I saw that Amazon has a pack of two of the 7.4 volt lithiums for $39 that are 3000 mAh as opposed to the 2250 mAh of the Fieldsheer model although they appear to be a little bit larger.

And it's two for the price of one.

They look quite a bit like the 7.4 that came with my GTech hand warmer pouch.

Same connection? I was gonna buy the field sheer.  Think it was only $20 something

14 hours ago, Minarets said:

Same connection? I was gonna buy the field sheer.  Think it was only $20 something

Well I'm not positive but it looks the same.  

I'll let you know though as I went ahead and ordered a pair.

The cheapest I'm seeing them on Fieldsheer is $39.99 though.

37 minutes ago, vernon said:

Well I'm not positive but it looks the same.  

I'll let you know though as I went ahead and ordered a pair.

The cheapest I'm seeing them on Fieldsheer is $39.99 though.

Ahh you’re right.  Must have been a Black Friday thing.  They were marked down.  Not anymore. 

• Like 1