Best WARM winter golf jacket

NevinW

22 hours ago, gr8blueheronbird said:

Just put on the Mizuno Windlite.  You stay warm and do not need to hassle with batteries, charging them, and a bad fit.  Just keep it simple!

22 hours ago, gr8blueheronbird said:

Just put on the Mizuno Windlite.  You stay warm and do not need to hassle with batteries, charging them, and a bad fit.  Just keep it simple!

I actually have two Windlite's (although they're old and getting a little ragged) and a FootJoy lined sweater but still prefer all of them with the vest underneath.

I would buy another Windlite in a second if they were still available - not sure why they discontinued such a popular item and would have expected them to reintroduce it by now.

Surely they still get lots of requests from previous owners as well as others that have heard about them.

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

Im a huge fan of layering in which case you can choose whatever brands you like.  Ive been using a thermal under layer from followed by a Nike hoody and topped off with a Columbia Puffer vest.  This keeps me pretty warm and can always peel back layers as needed.  

HOWEVER, the one item I can NOT play in the cold without and which I would consider to be a lifesaver, is a Neck Gaiter.  Being able to keep your neck warm in addition to your body is huge and its an area that the cold can cause a lot of tension in.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, J_Tizzle said:

I have a buddy that lives by Galvin stuff.  I'm also a big fan of Zero Restriction stuff (especially the vests), I can layer with the vest very easily so its my primary go to.

Galvin is the best, and priced as such.  I don't regret the waterproof Galvin jacket I sprang for a couple years ago though.  It's a great windbreaker, is 100.0% impervious to water, and helps make miserable conditions fun.  🙂 

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

1 hour ago, wannabettz said:

Im a huge fan of layering in which case you can choose whatever brands you like.  Ive been using a thermal under layer from followed by a Nike hoody and topped off with a Columbia Puffer vest.  This keeps me pretty warm and can always peel back layers as needed.  

HOWEVER, the one item I can NOT play in the cold without and which I would consider to be a lifesaver, is a Neck Gaiter.  Being able to keep your neck warm in addition to your body is huge and its an area that the cold can cause a lot of tension in.

Neck gaiter is a complete game changer.  I have one that never leaves my golf bag.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

9 hours ago, deadsolid...shank said:

I still have two older WindLites  . I’ve never tried anything else because I never needed to. I’d wear a UA Cold gear fitted mock and the WindLite and be good anywhere from 30*-40*. Occasionally even under 30* if the sun was out at all. Anything over 40* and it’s almost too warm. 

I agree. Anything over 40 degrees with no wind, its overkill and I start sweating.  I also have 2 of the WindLites and they have held up well probably because now, I don't play golf when its in the 30's.  I have wised up as I get older...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/11/2023 at 8:52 AM, vernon said:

I think you'll be very happy with that setup - I sure hope so anyways.

Sorry if I misled you initially regarding the charging requirements and glad I thought of it before you ordered the other setup!

Of course I probably wouldn't even have the vest if it wasn't for you so thanks again for that!

Got the batteries and charger in today. They are definitely more what I thought they’d be being Amazon “cheaper” alternative.  Not as professional, I guess I should say as the fieldsheer. But if they work, they work.   

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

I live in Chicago and have had to play a CDGA MidAm where it was snowing so I can empathize. I have a range of options depending on what the weather is, but this hasn't failed me yet:

Patagonia Capilene midweight base layer (both bottoms and one size up crew)

Smartwool Merino socks

Then either:

If I feel like I'll want to shed a layer: Hoodie/q-zip and a vest (I LOVE my Rhoback vest, no restriction in my swing) 

or

If I don't think I'll need to shed a layer: Greyson Yukon Hybrid jacket

I'll also have a HotHands hand warmer in each pocket and have the Titleist Cart Mitts clipped to my bag to keep my hands warm between shots

• Like 1

On 11/29/2023 at 5:56 PM, ephmen said:

I have this jacket - solid fit and lot of mobility.  It's very warm in the chest but the arms are very thin to aid mobility so it's definitely not the warmest there.  I haven't used it on a really cold day yet so we'll see how it does there.

TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
TSR2 15* Ventus TR Blue 7X
TSi2 21* MRC Tensei Raw White  70TX
T100S 4-W Modus 120X
SM9 50F/54S/58D Modus 120X
Some sort of Cameron

This is my cold weather jacker: https://www.zerorestriction.com/collections/cold-weather-golf-essentials-for-men/products/w1018

Chest and back are insulated, but he sleeves are not. It's very easy to swing in and if you layer properly you'll be just fine into the 30s (while walking, and not raining). I don't usually ride in the winter or play if there's rain when it's that cold.

9 hours ago, Hokie2k5 said:

I have this jacket - solid fit and lot of mobility.  It's very warm in the chest but the arms are very thin to aid mobility so it's definitely not the warmest there.  I haven't used it on a really cold day yet so we'll see how it does there.

Same with the Kieran jacket -- warm chest, and although the arms and back have slightly more fabric than the Reach, they are still not that warming.   KJUS seems to have designed all its golf pieces based on the layering system so that you would need to buy one of their mid-layers to provide warmth for the arms.  If you don't want to do any layering, the Radiation jacket is about the best all around they offer for golf since it is the only one that also has arm coverage.  I generally wear Radiation vest (with lightweight thermal base layer) only at temps above 52F, the Radiation jacket and a lightweight thermal base layer from 42F to 52F.   And, then the Radiation vest, Radiation jacket and thermal base layer from 32F to 42F.   Only adjustment would be if it is < 50F, cloudy and North winds 15-20mph, then I might add a lightweight windproof outer layer like a Dexter jacket.   Just my experience.  Others may differ.

The two areas where I will most compliment KJUS is that the layering of their pieces doesn't creat unplayable "bulk" like some other clothing and the stretchability (is that a word?) is second to none.   Best winter clothes I've ever played in.

Edited by Ruleschamp
  • Like 1

I just got this Sun Mountain jacket from the pro shop and have used it a few times.  Love it.  It’s warm and wind proof.  It’s very lightweight, so it’s perfect for calm 40s and windy 50s.  Layering dependent of course.

I wear a medium shirt but large fit best in this jacket.  It’s nice and trim in the torso but roomy in shoulders and arms.  I love it.  Looks like it’s on sale now for $139.

https://www.sunmountain.com/collections/mens-jackets/products/granite-ii-jacket

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

• 4 weeks later...

Dumb question but I'm looking for something that's a bit of a all-in-one like a utility jacket or pullover. Something I can keep in my bag and toss on in the spring/summer for windy rainy days with weather resistance but can also double as something I can throw on in those 45-55* gloomy fall golf days for a added layer of warmth. 

I see a lot of windproof that is warm from peoples posts, but nothing that is wind/rain proof that also has a insulated layer. Would something windproof also double as moisture proof in most cases?

Just picked up an original penguin quilted primaloft jacket.  Warmest golf jacket I own.  I hit balls in the backyard for about 40 mins. Temp was in the teens and I was fine with just a t-shirt underneath. 

Has some stretch to it and not insulated on sides and under arms to allow freedom of movement. Pockets are warm.  A little bulky up front, squishes out of the way, still slightly annoying.

Old lady thinks it looks like a fake muscle super hero costume. I kinda agree.

2 hours ago, x5andr6 said:

I have the Galvin Green Duke 1/4 zip pullover. It has some insulation on the sleeves. This with a merino wool base layer and a vest is usually warm enough for me in 30-40 degrees F.

No matter what, GG is worth the cost. I have a goretex windbreaker and will add a more insulated jacket to the rotation. Best outerwear you can buy and you can play in pretty bad weather. 🙂

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

On 10/12/2023 at 11:54 PM, bellken said:

I wear a windproof/waterproof outer layer, middle layer, with a base layer, and, I adjust the middle layer depending on the temperature. I have a couple of insulated golf jackets, but, I get too warm wearing them (I am a walker).

The Ping Norse is a nice jacket, as is the Adidas Frostguard. I own both, but, I only use them at the driving range. I prefer the ability to shed layers, when, I get too warm. 

Like a lot of other posts, layers are your friend. Sub 45* = synthetic turtleneck, 1 ply cashmere, zero restriction traveler with the lower sleeve removed, and thin down vest under the ZR if needed. This lets me mix and match based on temps, sun, and  wind variability. 

Which leads to needing a bag bigger than my hoofer lite to carry all that because I’m constantly putting on and taking off. 

On 1/17/2024 at 3:24 PM, akronswitness said:

Dumb question but I'm looking for something that's a bit of a all-in-one like a utility jacket or pullover. Something I can keep in my bag and toss on in the spring/summer for windy rainy days with weather resistance but can also double as something I can throw on in those 45-55* gloomy fall golf days for a added layer of warmth. 

I see a lot of windproof that is warm from peoples posts, but nothing that is wind/rain proof that also has a insulated layer. Would something windproof also double as moisture proof in most cases?

Not a dumb question, it's something I've tried to solve myself for a long time. I played in a MidAm that was 40s and raining and it's been a priority for me ever since. 

That said, what I have currently in my trunk is a Patagonia Capilene Midweight crew and an Under Armour Daytona 1/2 zip. The Daytona is not perfect at protecting against rain or wind, but it does offer protection and is a sold 7/10 for both so it works, and the Patagonia is really great as a base layer. I feel like it's a perfect combo for "toss in my bag/trunk" type thing. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, liftoff88 said:

Not a dumb question, it's something I've tried to solve myself for a long time. I played in a MidAm that was 40s and raining and it's been a priority for me ever since. 

That said, what I have currently in my trunk is a Patagonia Capilene Midweight crew and an Under Armour Daytona 1/2 zip. The Daytona is not perfect at protecting against rain or wind, but it does offer protection and is a sold 7/10 for both so it works, and the Patagonia is really great as a base layer. I feel like it's a perfect combo for "toss in my bag/trunk" type thing. 

Awesome thank you. Well that is the million dollar idea then. Gortex on the outside, Under Armour on the inside. Boom! Millionaire. 😄

10 hours ago, akronswitness said:

Awesome thank you. Well that is the million dollar idea then. Gortex on the outside, Under Armour on the inside. Boom! Millionaire. 😄

Ha! Let's start a business!

Supposedly that's what this jacket from Bonobos is for, but never tried it. It's also 50% off the sale price so super cheap to try. "An aptly named weather-ready jacket that resists wind & rain."

Edited by liftoff88
  • Like 1

early on the Mizuno Windlite was always the talk. what was special about them? i never looked into them, probably should have by now.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

1 hour ago, Yanki01 said:

early on the Mizuno Windlite was always the talk. what was special about them? i never looked into them, probably should have by now.

Sweater with a liner that blocked the wind. Was great in cold and windy conditions, but sizing could be weird. Not many other options around when it came out. Stretch in tops and wind jackets has improved to the point that the old sweater look isn't as desired.

• Like 1

The beauty of the Windlite was it combined two layers into one and worked in cold windy sub 40 conditions. 100% cotton shell and nylon layer made it muggy and unbearable if you walked or if the sun peeked out.  The merino version was a little better. 
To be fair doesn’t compare to today’s breathable outerwear. Hardly used mine over the past five years. For kids winter soccer games as a spectator, stadiums etc they are great. 

19 hours ago, Yanki01 said:

I had/have three of the Windlites and they were the warmest most windproof garment ever.  

Unfortunately mine are either worn out or just don't fit anymore so they've been reduced to cold weather lawn work.

However the FootJoy lined sweater is really close to the Windlite and maybe even better as I think it's much more breathable.

I have two of the FootJoys and wear them pretty much anytime I'm playing and it's under fifty and breezy.

However I do NOT recommend them for indoor use - much like the Windlite's you could die in these things inside.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

11 hours ago, vernon said:

I had/have three of the Windlites and they were the warmest most windproof garment ever.  

Unfortunately mine are either worn out or just don't fit anymore so they've been reduced to cold weather lawn work.

However the FootJoy lined sweater is really close to the Windlite and maybe even better as I think it's much more breathable.

I have two of the FootJoys and wear them pretty much anytime I'm playing and it's under fifty and breezy.

However I do NOT recommend them for indoor use - much like the Windlite's you could die in these things inside.

Ive been wondering how the footjoy lined sweater is.  I pulled out my mizuno wildlites that i hadn't worn in years a few weeks ago and put them on for a bit.  Super warm-not very breathable.  I remembered always getting too hot in them but the mobility in them is much better than a jacket

36 minutes ago, Unteachable said:

Ive been wondering how the footjoy lined sweater is.  I pulled out my mizuno wildlites that i hadn't worn in years a few weeks ago and put them on for a bit.  Super warm-not very breathable.  I remembered always getting too hot in them but the mobility in them is much better than a jacket

I have a FJ.  It's warm, but I do not wear it.  It feels "heavy" on your arms.  It's hard to describe, but it does.

• Like 1

Ping G410 Plus Driver, TaylorMade Aeroburner 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 
Callaway 2015 XR 4, 5 hybrids

Titleist 2021 T300 6-P, 48W, 53W irons

Ping Zing Lob wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

11 hours ago, dekez said:

I have a FJ.  It's warm, but I do not wear it.  It feels "heavy" on your arms.  It's hard to describe, but it does.

Thankfully I haven't experienced that - really like mine.