2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Golf and Daylight Savings Time...

Barfolomew

40 minutes ago, 596 said:

Go back to standard time 12 months of the year. It's just wrong to tee off at 7:30am in the dark! 

But that is easy to say when you're in Florida, and have summer all year round.  When you live north where golf etc., is out of your hands for 4-6 months of the year, you're not going to want sunlight at 4:30 am, you want it later in the day where you can actually take advantage of it. 

It's very much a region/area dependent thing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, golfortennis said:

But that is easy to say when you're in Florida, and have summer all year round.  When you live north where golf etc., is out of your hands for 4-6 months of the year, you're not going to want sunlight at 4:30 am, you want it later in the day where you can actually take advantage of it. 

It's very much a region/area dependent thing. 

Absolutely. STD Time would kill golf after work for all those who work 8-5 (not to mention all the other sports - esp. kids).

It's bad enough one has to get up at 4:30am to get to work by 5:30 so you can be ready for the 6am start.  I can't imagine having to get up at 3:30 for a 5am start to satisfy a few people who have to be home by 9am so they can get in their nap before they play pickleball in the afternoon and tucked in for bed at 8pm. 

Now, if 535 people had done their job a year ago, all of N. America would already be on DST, year round and this discussion would be moot.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Courses are closed here all winter so it doesn't bother me. The thing that would are the talks of getting rid of daylight savings and sticking with standard time all year, that would be devastating for me, I'd be fine with daylight savings time all year though. 

• Like 3

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

On 10/24/2023 at 10:37 PM, TwistedSister said:

You have the same amount of sunlight no matter whether Standard or daylight savings time.  I think?

What? You mean when human beings change the arbitrarily assigned time designations expressed with oddly shaped animal scratch marks on dials, it doesn't actually in any way alter the revolution of the earth on its axis, or its orbital characteristics around the sun? I had been lead to believe the universe revolved around us. This news certainly shatters my entire sense of stability in life. 🤣

Mucking about with the randomly organized time intervals we invented in the first place seems a bit silly, but on the whole we're mostly governed by people from the Ministry of Silly Walks anyway, so not that surprising. But pretty much any method for trying to mesh clock time (constant, regulated 24 hour days) with natural time (that changes with the seasons depending on distance from the equator) is going to be kinda goofy. And the US excels at goofy. We not only do DST, but whether to do it is decided on a state by state basis. Even further, the actual time zones are hilariously irrational. There's parts of Oregon (for instance) on Mountain time that are literally two or three hundred miles west of the (Pacific time) Idaho panhandle. 

BUT! We could toss all that out (if times zones and clock changes are irritating) and try something equally goofy in the opposite direction. Doing business in China, for instance, is really freaking fun. It doesn't have anything like standard or daylight savings time. They don't change their clocks. In fact (this is a hoot), it doesn't even bother with time zones. It has one official time ("Beijing Time"). Despite being geographically slightly wider than even the US, when it's, like, 8PM in China, it's 8PM everywhere in China. Just means that on the same day in different parts of China the sun could rise at anywhere from 4:30 to 9:00 AM. Anywhere anyone lives just gets used to it.

Holy crapsticks Batman, I'm getting jet lag just writing this!.

Personally - I think we in the US should just make what we now call DST into our permanent standard time. Would seem to make the most sense for the most people. But that would require our politicians to make sense. Not exactly holding my breath for that to happen. But who knows? Might happen. In (um) ... time ...

Edited by bobfoster
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

23 hours ago, Mostly said:

This is a regular debate in the UK with a lot of people in the South advocating keeping “summer” time all year so they can get an extra hour daylight in the evening.  Here in Edinburgh sunrise on 30 December this year will be at 8.43am and sunset at 3.45.  I don’t think getting daylight until quarter to five is worth waiting until quarter to ten for sunrise!

I hear you!! Sunset where I am on 21st December is 3.30pm. I can deal with that on the basis that in June and July I can be on the course well after 10pm without any issue...beyond my increasing age making me tired all of the time anyway!!

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

This is a regular debate in the UK with a lot of people in the South advocating keeping “summer” time all year so they can get an extra hour daylight in the evening.  Here in Edinburgh sunrise on 30 December this year will be at 8.43am and sunset at 3.45.  I don’t think getting daylight until quarter to five is worth waiting until quarter to ten for sunrise!

I hear you!! Sunset where I am on 21st December is 3.30pm. I can deal with that on the basis that in June and July I can be on the course well after 10pm without any issue...beyond my increasing age making me tired all of the time anyway!!

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

9 hours ago, bobfoster said:

What? You mean when human beings change the arbitrarily assigned time designations expressed with oddly shaped animal scratch marks on dials, it doesn't actually in any way alter the revolution of the earth on its axis, or its orbital characteristics around the sun? I had been lead to believe the universe revolved around us. This news certainly shatters my entire sense of stability in life. 🤣

Mucking about with the randomly organized time intervals we invented in the first place seems a bit silly, but on the whole we're mostly governed by people from the Ministry of Silly Walks anyway, so not that surprising. But pretty much any method for trying to mesh clock time (constant, regulated 24 hour days) with natural time (that changes with the seasons depending on distance from the equator) is going to be kinda goofy. And the US excels at goofy. We not only do DST, but whether to do it is decided on a state by state basis. Even further, the actual time zones are hilariously irrational. There's parts of Oregon (for instance) on Mountain time that are literally two or three hundred miles west of the (Pacific time) Idaho panhandle. 

BUT! We could toss all that out (if times zones and clock changes are irritating) and try something equally goofy in the opposite direction. Doing business in China, for instance, is really freaking fun. It doesn't have anything like standard or daylight savings time. They don't change their clocks. In fact (this is a hoot), it doesn't even bother with time zones. It has one official time ("Beijing Time"). Despite being geographically slightly wider than even the US, when it's, like, 8PM in China, it's 8PM everywhere in China. Just means that on the same day in different parts of China the sun could rise at anywhere from 4:30 to 9:00 AM. Anywhere anyone lives just gets used to it.

Holy crapsticks Batman, I'm getting jet lag just writing this!.

Personally - I think we in the US should just make what we now call DST into our permanent standard time. Would seem to make the most sense for the most people. But that would require our politicians to make sense. Not exactly holding my breath for that to happen. But who knows? Might happen. In (um) ... time ...

Sounds great ... until you have to figure out 7 am in California would be pitch black, and 10 pm would be bright and sunny. I wouldn't really look to China as an example of enlightened society.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

On 10/24/2023 at 3:29 PM, Barfolomew said:

Is there anyone who dislikes changing back to Standard time from Daylight Savings more then golfers? No.  The winter is depressing enough so its nice to play 9 holes late in the afternoon after work once in a while...... in states that aren't covered in snow.

All year we heard we weren't changing the clocks back this November.... giving us golfers an extra hour of sunlight this winter.  Google said I'm dumb and sit down fat boy cause you're losing that hour.  Everyone at work hates leaving in the dark at 5pm.

Would anyone get hurt if most everyone just agreed to finally not change the clocks? It would be harmless and who cares anyways..... nobody, except for guy in basement who doesn't do anything but complain...

We got 12 days till Nov 5th..... golfers should care the most so do your best to spread the word and Need some of you that got way more reach to Champion sunlight for golfers!

I have called it Golf light savings time for years. Wish we would keep it instead of falling back. 

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

I will also add we have spent some time on the west side of the time zone line in Florida about 10 miles from the time zone change. It is wonderful to have it seems like close to an hour of extra daylight, my next home will be on the west side of the time zone. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

On 10/26/2023 at 10:27 AM, tatertot said:

Sounds great ... until you have to figure out 7 am in California would be pitch black, and 10 pm would be bright and sunny. I wouldn't really look to China as an example of enlightened society.

One difficulty is that time zones are configured by longitude (distance +/- from Greenwich England ... 0 UTC), but a lot of the sunlight variances of the seasons are due to the effect of latitude (distance N/S from the equator). "California" doesn't have a sunrise. Sunrise in Redding CA on December 21 is close to a full 45 minutes later than sunrise in San Diego. 

Problem with America is that it is not only (4 time zones) wide, but is also quite tall. There's simply going to be no system that is going to optimize for everyone in a nation with our geographical footprint. There's always some people that are going to be fine, others slightly irritated, and a few really irritated. 

So, my reasoning? First, for 330 million people to go through the bother of living under clocks changed by an hour twice a year just seems like flat out foolishness.

It was originally instituted during WW1 - as a means of conserving energy. You didn't have to burn as much coal. Actually then ended for a time, and was started again during WW2. Was then made uniform in 1966 (in fact, its hours were extended between 1973-75 during the oil embargo). It was always largely done to conserve fuel, not make it more convenient to play golf (heehee). At this point I think we are just used to it, and no longer question why we do it. Personally, these days I rarely have trouble keeping the coal bin in my basement full. 😅

Thing is, changing the clocks to DST was never "universally" convenient, any more than standard time is. Mostly it is just going through a lot of idiocy that just changes who is inconvenienced. 

So if we get rid of the clock change, the real question is whether to settle on Standard or DST. General consensus amongst those who study such things is that standardizing on DST would be (very slightly) preferable to our current standard time. In fact - there is a Bill in Congress doing this - the "Sunshine Protection Act" - that the Senate has already passed unanimously (including both CA Senators), but is sort of languishing in the House. Not thinking the House will take it up in the near future, not because of questionable merits but just because it is way down on its current priority list. 

It won't be changed this year (too late now), but I suspect that there's a decent chance that when we change to DST next spring, it may a final, permanent change. If not next year, almost certainly the year after. For better or for worse, that's just the direction the political wind is blowing.

[PS. Goodness, I'd never recommend adopting the Chinese model - only included it as another approach over a billion people use. Personally, it makes me LMAO it is so ridiculous.]

Edited by bobfoster
  • Thanks 2

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

• 2 weeks later...

It’s amazing that after the clocks move back one hour, the sun rises one hour earlier. How does it know?

It might have something to do with the metric system.

Time zones should be sectioned north and south. The north gets less sunlight than the south. And has better pizza.

Time zones should really be angled and not north to south.

The good thing is that y’all don’t have to stay outside later now to gather crops. I wonder if plants are disrupted by the clock change? Could be. There really are people who think plants communicate with people.

And since the earth is flat, Daylight Saving Time may be part of a conspiracy to gaslight us that it’s not.

OK, my work is done here.

• Haha 1

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

12 hours ago, bobfoster said:

Update to this thread. It is now Sunday, 11/5. Clocks "fell back" last night. 

Had a late morning tee time, that got delayed due to something going on at the club, so didn't get out until 1ish. Barely finished the round. Sunset in the northeast was at 4:50 today. 4 freaking 50 in the afternoon. By December it will be around 4:30. 

Standard time seriously blows. 

Amen Bob! In the week before the fall back it’s already getting dark at ~5:30. So hey, I have a great idea! Let’s set the clocks back another hour so it’s dark at 4:30!!! Brilliant (said NOBODY) 🙃🤪

15 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

It’s amazing that after the clocks move back one hour, the sun rises one hour earlier. How does it know?

It might have something to do with the metric system.

Time zones should be sectioned north and south. The north gets less sunlight than the south. And has better pizza.

Time zones should really be angled and not north to south.

The good thing is that y’all don’t have to stay outside later now to gather crops. I wonder if plants are disrupted by the clock change? Could be. There really are people who think plants communicate with people.

And since the earth is flat, Daylight Saving Time may be part of a conspiracy to gaslight us that it’s not.

OK, my work is done here.

I just got done posting in my favorite GreenthumbWRX thread that there are really people that don’t think plants communicate with people. Good to know all is right in the world today 😊

Ok, I’m off to find the edge of the earth! 

• Haha 1

On 11/6/2023 at 6:19 PM, Barfolomew said:

2 days in and sucks..... but not for me I refused to change my clocks and will leave work on "my time" and will just wait for the rest of you to join me on the links even if it takes years for you to join the revolution lol 💪

Similar.  I am salary.  My boss doesn't care when I work for the most part so long as I am getting done what I need to get done.  I just kept on coming in at the same time of the day but by the clock an hour earlier.

I even changed my working hours in my outlook calendar to reflect it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smashdn said:

Similar.  I am salary.  My boss doesn't care when I work for the most part so long as I am getting done what I need to get done.  I just kept on coming in at the same time of the day but by the clock an hour earlier.

I even changed my working hours in my outlook calendar to reflect it.

Well played sir 💪 You're a true golfer adjusting to the tricky "lie" the government made you play lol

Can't figure how to like my own posts

EST sucks. At least I'm not on the eastern edge of a time zone. Sun sets a 5:20pm right now for me.

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

5 hours ago, lefty1978 said:

EST sucks. At least I'm not on the eastern edge of a time zone. Sun sets a 5:20pm right now for me.

Being on the far side (either East or West) of a Time Zone is far worse than any change from STD or DST.  

Edited by Socrates

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize