2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Padraig Harrington’s golf tips?

jonsnow

GoLow, 

My post stands as written.

Michael Jacobs doesn't get enough credit. He should have got some more on this thread.

It's sure fun talking to screen names.

13th ranked Teacher in America on Golf Digest's Top 50 List  (6th consecutive time in the Top 50). 7-time and current Golf Magazine Top 100 Teacher in America.

3 minutes ago, Brian Manzella said:

GoLow, 

My post stands as written.

Michael Jacobs doesn't get enough credit. He should have got some more on this thread.

It's sure fun talking to screen names.

Your posts are shite.

MJ is great - I'll bet no one in this thread knows PH works with him .... let alone that he was finally turned around by MJ. So tell that story in your first post.

My name is Geoff (any more I'd feel like you are doxxing) and I have degrees in this field so I can keep up. 

Love to talk to you and debate (agree with 90% of most good   golf instructors) I just have trouble having patience when they gain tremendous understanding thru GEARS, scientific research etc. comprehending what "happens" in the golf swing but still lose their way in understanding what you "do" in the golf swing. Maybe you'll put your teaching cap back on and I'll come away with new respect. We can go to Michelangelo's I'll have some bread (assume its pizza dough based which I like) but the food is awful .... been there once.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MPStrat said:

Thanks for joining in on the discussion. We appreciate when smart teachers share their insight. 

I think posters here are pretty well aware that Paddy received instruction from Jacobs. It has been discussed here many times.

Truth be told, there are reasons Jacobs doesn’t get much attention on this forum.

Number one there is a perception that much of what he teaches is intentionally kept a secret. Most of what has been discussed about Jacobs and Jacobs 3D comes from what you have shared on some of the more mainstream golf influencer social media channels. Most of the content Jacobs has created over the years is not easily digestible for the average golfer. If one desires more attention from an audience, they should create more content for that audience. It’s no coincidence that the teachers who are discussed on here the most are not necessarily the best teachers, although some are really good, but the ones who are great at marketing and are continuously creating content.

That’s spot on!

Brian was gracious enough to talk with me a bit over a month ago on the phone about a couple different topics. It was a great conversation and during that conversation I did stated that I thought when Michael Jacobs put something out there I generally didn’t find any actionable items in the material. Whether that is his style or maybe I’m too dumb to understand it I don’t know but I can tell you that Paddy has a fantastic way explaining things. Nobody here knows what’s Jacob’s material or what was Torrence’s or even Cowan’s when it pertains what is in his videos so I would say if anyone feels they didn’t get their credit then they should ask Paddy for guest spot in the videos or at minimum “I learned this during my time with X instructor”. 

i’m sure I’m not alone with me saying this forum would love to have a lot more Jacobs 3d learnings to delve into. 

• Like 2

I actually used his technique today on the tee box. Took my driver and really swung it as hard as I could. Really opened my body up. My playing partners were surprised a bit, then I pounded one down the middle of the fairway. 😂😂

• Like 1

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

1 hour ago, shortpockets said:

"(Jacobs) had an interesting comment in a podcast stating "every great player" gets further from the ball during the "entire downswing".   Not sure I completely understand that particular segment but I don't believe the comment is accurate.  Thoughts? " 

The very high end golfer's COM gets further from the ball the whole downswing. Merry Christmas!

• Like 1

13th ranked Teacher in America on Golf Digest's Top 50 List  (6th consecutive time in the Top 50). 7-time and current Golf Magazine Top 100 Teacher in America.

Yes. The non-elite player COM moves toward the ball when early extending. That’s a pretty simple definition for EE.

People express themselves differently and convey information differently. It may click with some and not with others. As long as the information is good and applies to many rather than just a few, 

what’s not to like?

Golf instruction is no different than any career. Not everyone is a Michelin star chef. There are those who study hard, are thoughtful, inquisitive and sincere. And there are those who aren’t. It ain’t easy because there are just as many bad students as teachers.

The world is one big normal curve. If you go to many instructors and they’re all bad, maybe it’s you.

• Like 4

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

Brian - thanks for popping in here!  loved the video's you did with 'Be Better Golf' - very helpful for a lot of players to try and digest some of what the jacob's 3d ideas actually are - his youtube videos (jacob youtube) can be pretty hard for the average joe to implement

Padraig's channel is really great imo - seems like a really decent guy

loved watching Padraig vs Cejka battle it out at the senior open 

• Like 1

Paddy's Tips have come up in a few threads for good reason. While there's a lot to digest, he explains things well overall and pretty much gives away a lifetime's worth of golfing knowledge for free, proved out by multiple wins that include Majors. One thing he does better than many is explaining almost every aspect of the swing down to the finest relevant detail, which a lot of playing & teaching pros as well as helpful friends on the first tee or range forget to share because they've been doing it so long and take a lot for granted that many players have simply never learned through years of trial & error in the same way.  

It's clear from his videos that he wants to share what he knows and luckily for many who come across his videos he does a good job of that. He doesn't have the views reflecting how insightful what he offers is simply because YouTube can't account for quality. Even with all the upvotes he has, if they didn't come in the first few days of posting they just won't get his videos seen. The good thing is all that detail will be there for years to come, as will posts here and elsewhere pointing people to his vids.

That said, I do hope that even his videos are only one of many sources a player uses to help them understand the game in a way that sees them become the best golfer possible. There's a lot of good data & research that can help bring increased insight as to what will work for an individual, and even though it can get lost in the sea of bad, there's a lot more good golf knowledge widely available to players than ever before because of the internet. It's interesting that in golf it becomes a slight for players to work with multiple people on their game at times, yet anywhere else in life the norm is to work with many experts to build a firm foundation then hone those abilities through experience and potentially even more advanced training. I like that his content is conversational, insightful, and very different than a lot of what's out there. Makes for a more well-rounded golf education. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

Yes. The non-elite player COM moves toward the ball when early extending. That’s a pretty simple definition for EE.

People express themselves differently and convey information differently. It may click with some and not with others. As long as the information is good and applies to many rather than just a few, 

what’s not to like?

Golf instruction is no different than any career. Not everyone is a Michelin star chef. There are those who study hard, are thoughtful, inquisitive and sincere. And there are those who aren’t. It ain’t easy because there are just as many bad students as teachers.

The world is one big normal curve. If you go to many instructors and they’re all bad, maybe it’s you.

Perfectly said

• Like 2

• jonsnow changed the title to Padraig Harrington’s golf tips?
On 12/24/2023 at 8:54 PM, Brian Manzella said:

GoLow (Geoff), 

I had a blast talking shop with you today.

Paddy does a great job with these videos. Mike does a great job with Paddy.

If anyone else wants to talk, call me anytime 502-417-4653

Happy Holidays, folks!

You have my respect mr Manzella. The way you interact with the community here, honest, open, respectfully and putting yourself out there where clearly you have a lot more to lose as you have to gain from interacting with only god knows who from all kinds of different skill levels, in my book is extremely classy. 

Happy holidays!

On 12/24/2023 at 12:06 PM, golow said:

He's got a personality that's for sure .... reminds me of , well ... me.

fe26a5f8-a15d-4ba7-b2f7-8980e9a03b25_text.gif.71c05bbe8f560506bdb3e8f9270011ea.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Tensei AV White 85TX 1.0 // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour X  // Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour X
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-6i 26*- 30* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 7i-PW 34*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 59* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

On 11/6/2023 at 2:36 PM, MonteScheinblum said:

Most tour players, impart their feels that work for them, he says stuff that’s actually true

Love it, Monte. I have always found his stuff to be fantastic—especially his short game stuff.

• Like 2

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

On 12/20/2023 at 7:32 PM, Lobby said:

I’ve had problems with swinging only with my arms using no hip turn all my life. 

I’ve had lessons from 4 pga pros, including a retired touring pro.  I’ve told all of them about my weak hip turn, yet they all concentrate on something else

”Your P4 and P8 position are all wrong…”

It seems to me that most pga pros intuitively understand the role of the hips in their swing. So much so, that they can’t relate to someone only swinging with their arms. 

I’d ask you teaching pros reading this thread to look out for us arm swingers, and to remember Padraig’s video. Pls incorporate this into your teaching. You’ll help a lot of people

There is a huge discrepancy in athletic ability for most people. Coaches either don't address it or don't want to offend the client. The client needs to work with a physical therapist to understand their weaknesses and physical limitations and then build around them. If you don't have an athletic background, you may not have done these movements and need to be trained from the ground up. No coach is going to be able to say "do this" as you just don't have the motor control to do the movements. 

Let's say you grew up as a competitive thrower in Track and Field (Discus, Javelin, Shot, Hammer). You intuitively understand how to generate power with your legs: the arms are for leverage and implement control. The legs control power, direction, and balance. I'd wager that if Valarie Allman here has the shoulder ROM required and had decent hand-eye coordination (which she should), given proper coaching, she'd be out-driving the Korda sisters in a month. Obviously, extreme example, but there are plenty of people who got into golf later in life and have little or no athletic background. Carts don't help: walking is great for keeping the core strong and anyone who is using a cart primarily is giving up distance and control unless they are actively exercising to keep their core strong 

valarie-allman-08-21.jpg

I just love how he tells it "like it is". As in, almost no amateurs need to play expensive balls. That's not what Titleist or Taylor Made is telling me. Lets face it: gear is such a small part of the equation asssuming you have gear decently fit for you. The exception is probably a putter: I have trouble putting with a face-balanced mallet.   

I'm glad players don't take this advice as I can play Pro V1s almost exclusively for free due to how many I find in the trees, but they aren't making a difference in my score either! 

• Like 1