2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Am I making life harder by using grips that are too large?

TheBiles

I have pretty average size hands (medium glove is perfect), and I play midsize MCC+4s in all of my clubs. I feel like they are more comfortable and allow me to get the club in my hands without any gaps.  However, could the larger grips be making it more difficult to manipulate the club face, resulting in other compensations in my swing?  I also feel like maybe they are limiting my wrist motion. 

Am I overthinking this? Would it be worth trying out some smaller grips?

I can only comment on my experience. I have large hands. I wear an XL glove. I have used midsize grips forever. I purchased the MCC+4 grips to try out. I liked the idea of having the lower portion of the grip larger. I played four rounds with them and I couldn't get used to them. I am right handed. I left the majority of my shots out to the right. I blew them off and reinstalled my MCC midsize align grips and the issue went away. 

I think it is quite individual. I wear an XL glove. And I use JM ultralite Extra Large size grips on all my clubs.  I have no problems as lots of people state that the large grips cause shots to the right. I've never experienced this at all. I'll never change back to a regular size grip. Just for info I'm a 9 cap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBiles said:

I have pretty average size hands (medium glove is perfect), and I play midsize MCC+4s in all of my clubs. I feel like they are more comfortable and allow me to get the club in my hands without any gaps.  However, could the larger grips be making it more difficult to manipulate the club face, resulting in other compensations in my swing?  I also feel like maybe they are limiting my wrist motion. 

Proper method for determining correct grip size:

golf grip fitting.jpg

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Not a popular take, but one I've researched a decent bit (not quite yet enough to publish): Grip size is almost entirely a matter of comfort. It doesn't affect your "release" or rate of closure or ability to square the face, etc. This assumes you're not going really far in changing your grip size: i.e. you're not going for JumboMax grips when you should be playing undersize due to very small hands, or vice versa.

IMO most of the "thicker grips stop you from hooking" it stuff is BS. Self-fulfilling prophecies/placebo effect type stuff.

I've compared my swing with huge jumbo and regular grips and they look nearly identical.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Louis_Posture said:

golf grip fitting.jpg

Yes, objectively I know that my grips are “too large” for my hands. I’m curious how this actually affects my swing, though. If at all. I’ve always read all of the standard -isms associated with larger grips: less grip pressure, harder to close the face, etc. I’ve gotten used to using midsize+4s for some time, and I’m trying to determine if it’s worth using the “correct” size. 

28 minutes ago, TheBiles said:

Yes, objectively I know that my grips are “too large” for my hands. I’m curious how this actually affects my swing, though. If at all. I’ve always read all of the standard -isms associated with larger grips: less grip pressure, harder to close the face, etc. I’ve gotten used to using midsize+4s for some time, and I’m trying to determine if it’s worth using the “correct” size. 

Install a correct size grip on a 7-iron and driver. After a couple of rounds of golf you will know which size grip is best.

It has to be REALLY too big for it to affect your grip negatively I’d say - i doubt the small gaps in the picture make any difference. 

comfort seems to be the key. If your grips are comfortable then you are good, no need to change. 

Peter Finch in one of his videos talked about changing to super large grips: regular grips made his hands very sore. No word about hooking/slicing or anything 

Set 1: Inesis 100 set: D, 4h, 6/7i, 8/9i, pw, sw, P + Cleveland 52o and 60o wedges

Set 2: Srixon ZX 2h, Cobra One Length 3 utility (set to 4i), MD 7i & 9i, TM RSi 50o, Cleveland RTX full face 54o & 58o, Wilson Putter

I’m a medium size glove and have been playing std tour velvet. I have a bad habit of regripping during my swing and this results in fast wearing gloves. 
Maybe i should try out some larger soze grips to see if it changes my grip pressure so i dont feel like i have to grip it hard not to let it twist at the top of the backswing.

5 hours ago, iacas said:

Not a popular take, but one I've researched a decent bit (not quite yet enough to publish): Grip size is almost entirely a matter of comfort. It doesn't affect your "release" or rate of closure or ability to square the face, etc. This assumes you're not going really far in changing your grip size: i.e. you're not going for JumboMax grips when you should be playing undersize due to very small hands, or vice versa.

IMO most of the "thicker grips stop you from hooking" it stuff is BS. Self-fulfilling prophecies/placebo effect type stuff.

Agree, as long as they’re not too far off.  Grips too big I haven’t seen huge issues.  Grips that are too small….way too small, I’ve seen ugliness.

• Like 3

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

3 hours ago, Louis_Posture said:

Install a correct size grip on a 7-iron and driver. After a couple of rounds of golf you will know which size grip is best.

This is the correct answer. Bring your newly-gripped 7 iron and as is 6/8 iron to the range. Hit 3 balls with one, then 3 with the other. Repeat. Decide if it's making a difference and which you feel more comfortable with.

Josh

[color=#000000]Ping G30 LST - Ping Tour 65x[/color]
[color=#000000]Mizzy Fli-Hi 3 iron - Project X 6.0
Cobra Fly-Z Pro 4-AW - DG X100 ss1x
Vokey Wedgeworks 54* K Grind- DG S200
Ping Glide (SS) 60*/Lob Combo Grind - DG S400
Cameron Select NP2[/color]

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/533027-jlevitt9s-witb-set-for-2013-possibly/"]WITB Link[/url]

5 hours ago, st1800e said:

Try a smaller grip, not larger, worked for me.  

Same here. I like to try to iron sets and buy off of here or Ebay. Before paying the money to regrip them I usually just try to make due with whatever is already on the clubs. For whatever reason the majority have come with Golf Pride's mid size plus 4's (either MCC or TV). I hate these grips. I do not understand why they are popular. The lower half is so spongy that even when I am gripping firmly it still feels like I am not in control. I must be in the minority but I like the traditional taper of grips, It lets me put the grip in my right hand's finger and allows me to grip tightly without locking up my wrists. With a traditional taper standard size or even mid size I usually have more appropriately timed and amount of wrist c*ck.

9 hours ago, Louis_Posture said:

What’s the right size grip for the OP? Not to mention two instructors have said  in their experience and research grip size doesn’t affect things like rate of closure unless you go to far to the extreme so it’s quite possible the op already has the right grip

2 minutes ago, GoGoErky said:

What’s the right size grip for the OP? Not to mention two instructors have said  in their experience and research grip size doesn’t affect things like rate of closure unless you go to far to the extreme so it’s quite possible the op already has the right grip

A too small grip size tends to promote too firm-tight grip pressure. Too large of a grip size may diminish the player's sense of head feel. 

golf grip fitting.jpg

6 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Agree, as long as they’re not too far off.  Grips too big I haven’t seen huge issues.  Grips that are too small….way too small, I’ve seen ugliness.

Standard size grips (too small for me) were the cause of a pretty nasty bout of tennis elbow that took me about 18 months to clear up. I needed way too much grip tension to securely hold them, and tension causes injury when there's impact (say with hardpan). 

Edited by Simpsonia

56 minutes ago, Louis_Posture said:

A too small grip size tends to promote too firm-tight grip pressure. Too large of a grip size may diminish the player's sense of head feel. 

golf grip fitting.jpg

Those are general guidelines and again there are experts in the field who have experience and data that show that as long as the golfer isn’t on the extreme of too thick or too thin that there is no real difference. So for most golfers all three of those sizes would work. 

12 hours ago, iacas said:

My extensive research using a sample size of exactly 1 drew the same conclusion. I prefer my grip a tad larger than what would traditionally be prescribed and whether I've gone even larger than that or smaller, my miss tendencies haven't changed a bit. It should feel good/comfortable and that's about it.

I guess I am abnormal. When I use standard size grips I tend to draw the ball. When I use jumbo grips I tend to fade the ball. When I tried the MCC+4 I faded the ball. I reinstalled my MCC align midsize grips and my shot went back to straight with an occasional fade or push which is my usual miss.

All of this may be from my swings flaws.

I have noticed a pattern when using different size grips. Whatever I am doing the grip size does affect my results.

At the moment I am 10.4 cap.

16 hours ago, 596 said:

I think it is quite individual. I wear an XL glove. And I use JM ultralite Extra Large size grips on all my clubs.  I have no problems as lots of people state that the large grips cause shots to the right. I've never experienced this at all. I'll never change back to a regular size grip. Just for info I'm a 9 cap.

If I wore a glove it would be a large. I too use the JMX Ultralight XL grips and have for over 9 years. Will never go back to standard or even mid-size. I hold the grip in the palm of my left (rt handed), have so much more control of the club face with the JMX. When I first swapped pickep up about 5 - 8 yards throughout the bag as well.

• Like 1

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTER -   LAB MEZZ MAX Blue head w/white Accra

LAB MEZZ MAX Red head w/black Accra
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL ON ALL

17 hours ago, TheBiles said:

In a word, YES.  Larger grips could be slowing the rollover of your hands at impact.  

I have large hands, wear a large left-handed glove, but play standard size MCC Align grips, +2 wraps.

Grip the club in your left hand as if hitting the ball; your middle longest finger should reach/touch the palm pad.  If there's a gap, grip is too large.

• TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113-SW.
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I have very big hands and should probably use a Mid or bigger grip. I've used a reg size tour velvet grip for 20 years and love them. I've tried midsize and I tried jumbo and I hated them. It comes down to personal preference IMHO. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Louis_Posture said:

golf grip fitting.jpg

I personally hate this method. I have the tiniest wee little baby hands for a male and have to go into jumbo sizes plus a few wraps to get anything approximating the middle picture.

I found grip size makes a very small difference to performance (with the exception of going to a JumboMax L), so I would just say go with whatever is most comfortable. 

Edited by b.mattay
  • Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS (8), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Taylormade SLDR Mini (12), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

Titleist TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

Srixon U85 (22), PX 6.5

Ping i210 (5-UW), X100

Mizuno T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

DFX 2 Ball Blade 

Srixon Z-Star XV

I wear a cadet ML glove, slightly above average hand size, maybe slightly short fingers.  I swear by the +4 type grips, and before they became popular, I would build up under the right hand with tape.   

I can play standard-sized grips, the right hand feels a bit small to me, however, I like to choke down quite often on the club and the standard taper on a standard-size grip makes it feel just way too skinny.  Oddly though, my current driver I did keep the standard grip on it when I got it as I hit it really well that first week before I normally would regip it, and I have kept it all year.  That probably tells me its really all in my head.........  😄

WITB
TaylorMade Qi10 9.0 Tensei AV Limited Black 65 S 

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Limited Blue 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour X L-Neck 35

Srixon-Z Star XV

6 hours ago, b.mattay said:

I personally hate this method. I have the tiniest wee little baby hands for a male and have to go into jumbo sizes plus a few wraps to get anything approximating the middle picture.

I found grip size makes a very small difference to performance (with the exception of going to a JumboMax L), so I would just say go with whatever is most comfortable. 

Sure your not gripping in the palm? I have pretty average sized hands and fingers and the method nails it for me with a proper grip.  If I grip it a bit in the palm, then 2 fingers touch easily.

Now,  beyond that,  I have no idea if there is actually any merit to the method.  

I've had midsized grips on wedges, no impact. I tried it on driver and that didn't work.  So,  I'm mostly normal size grips  

14 hours ago, iacas said:

As noted above, that doesn't align with my testing at all.

I feel like this whole thing about grip size slowing the "release" or "rollover" is an old wive's tale.

You are welcome to your opinion.  I know two pros, including a friend who was touring pro, later teaching pro, that swear by it.  It's a matter of who we trust and seek council from.  It works for me too.  

• TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113-SW.
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

15 hours ago, iacas said:

As noted above, that doesn't align with my testing at all.

I feel like this whole thing about grip size slowing the "release" or "rollover" is an old wive's tale.

I agree. It's like stepping back to the 1970's instruction era with holding the grip like a bird, fingers have be here (only) because (insert tour pro name) does it that way.

And the tried and true old instruction of don't have the grip too big or too small. It should be juuuuuust right.

Don't hold it too tight or too loose. It should be juuuuust right.

Your stance shouldn't be too wide or too narrow. it should be juuuust right.

As far releasing the club or rolling over the forearms… I can’t see how it can be affected by grip size. Put your arms in front of you with the fingers open and closed. Doesn’t change a thing.

Edited by Soloman1
  • Like 3

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

16 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

As far releasing the club or rolling over the forearms… I can’t see how it can be affected by grip size. Put your arms in front of you with the fingers open and closed. Doesn’t change a thing.

Just have to spend an hour or so at different ranges around the globe to figure out that grip size effect is probably ranked 217th on things that affect club rate of closure 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1