Caddies? Yes or No?

Olson12

So I finalized my iteneraty for next year with the help of many members on my other thread.  I wanted to start a new topic to see what ya'll thoughts were on caddies and if they add to the experience.   Here are the courses I'm playing.  So far the only 36 hole day I have booked is at Turnberry so I already locked in a caddy for that day.  Should I get a caddie for any of these other courses?  

Background:
3 handicap

never played abroad or any links style course

• Gullane Golf Club No.1  
  • Dunbar Golf  
  • Prestwick Golf 
  • Western Gailes 
  • Kingsbarn
  • Eden  ( Camping for Old Course in AM for Afternoon time)
  • Jubilee
  • Castle

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

Depends in part on age, health(walking ability), how many days in a row you're  playing, budget and how you feel about taking a caddy (some players prefer not using them(. I'm old and usually only take a caddy on the second round of a 36 hole day. Prestwick has several blind shots where a caddy can be a real help. You don't really need one anywhere else on your list.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sabram said:

Depends in part on age, health(walking ability), how many days in a row you're  playing, budget and how you feel about taking a caddy (some players prefer not using them(. I'm old and usually only take a caddy on the second round of a 36 hole day. Prestwick has several blind shots where a caddy can be a real help. You don't really need one anywhere else on your list.

Thank you for the info. 

2 of us are in our thirties and the 3rd is an active 50 something. I usually walk but with a push cart.  We are there for 9 days and have 11 rounds planned.  I have budgeted for caddies but wondering if that can be used for other items if they aren't needed.  I'm mostly concerned with the blind shots and knowing where to play shots etc.  

Edited by Olson12

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

Using a Caddy for blind shots has everything to do with whether you can hit the ball in the direction he says.  They provide clarity and a smile to an otherwise ambiguous situation that could otherwise involve a lot of guessing and apprehension.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

Prestwick is a must in my mind. Tons of blind shots and worth it for the humor alone. We used one every round to save the energy and that along with the humor was worth the cost for sure. We really enjoyed them at Western Gailes too but the layout is a little more in front of you there. Turnberry was easy to see as well, but with a 36 hole day, I'd save the energy. If you are looking for food near Turnberry, Wildings was good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cardia10 said:

Prestwick is a must in my mind. Tons of blind shots and worth it for the humor alone. We used one every round to save the energy and that along with the humor was worth the cost for sure. We really enjoyed them at Western Gailes too but the layout is a little more in front of you there. Turnberry was easy to see as well, but with a 36 hole day, I'd save the energy. If you are looking for food near Turnberry, Wildings was good.

Thank you!

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

2 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

Using a Caddy for blind shots has everything to do with whether you can hit the ball in the direction he says.  They provide clarity and a smile to an otherwise ambiguous situation that could otherwise involve a lot of guessing and apprehension.

Have you played any of the courses I listed?

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

Had my third trip to Ireland in June.  Mostly have had a caddie for every round . Some 33 rounds in those trips combined.  
Got spoiled my first trip in 2000, had a professional caddy at RCD.  Could read putts very well, he picked up on my game and suggested shots and lines based on my typical flight path. 

After that I was always disappointed,  came to realize the most you can expect is carrying the bag and lines for blind shots.  Starting on the second trip I told them, I’ll read my own putts. 

So I’d say have at least one caddie in the group whether carrying a bag or a fore caddie.  

Haven’t  played any of the courses you listed , but good to have someone in the know with you who knows the courses for blind shots, doglegs and out of site bunkers.  

And has been mentioned, lots of good times and stories can be had with the caddies.  Also helpful for driving directions, restaurants etc.  

Have a good trip.  

• Like 1

I’ve played all on your list except Castle and Gailes.  If you are a 3, not sure a caddy is going to be a huge help on the courses, other than taking a strain off the back or legs. 

Of the list, Prestwick has several blind shots where local knowledge would be helpful. Kingsbarns is also not a bad course to have a caddy. You don’t really need one for Eden or Dunbar IMO. Same for Gullane and Jubilee.  If you get on TOC, take a caddy. If not, just remember to “miss left”. 

If there's lots of blind shots and you can't arrange to play golf with someone who knows the course, a caddie is probably a necessary evil. But by the end of my golf-tourism days I was looking to avoid caddies whenever possible. It just makes for too much complication and chit-chat and detracts from the experience for me.

The ideal is to find either someone who has visited the course frequently or better yet a member who will play with you. That way you can ask about blind shots or whatever but it's still just another golfer rather than an extra person who (in my experience) often as not thinks it's his job to entertain you, offer advice or act as a combination tour guide, swing coach and David Feherty wise-a** wannabe.

Here’s the courses I would recommend a caddy for. However, this is just based on blind shots, course knowledge of bounces, and greens.

• Gullane Golf Club No.1  
  • Dunbar Golf  
  • Prestwick Golf A must in my opinion, lots of blind shots and quirky holes
  • Western Gailes 
  • Kingsbarn I would say yes
  • Jubilee
  • Castle Yes, very tricky terrain and “kickers” with a few blind shots, but very challenging greens

The other courses a course guide/yardage book should get you around the course fine.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

I’m a couple decades older than your oldest player, and I usually carry my own bag. So the physical part of playing links courses shouldn’t be a problem. A caddy for the 36 hole day would be a good idea. I tend to get a caddy for “bucket list”  courses. And I like caddies that are members. They know the course intimately, have great stories, and are proud of their home course. I’ve found that “professional” caddies throughout the UK  and Ireland, range from terrific to those that are downright arrogant.

Of the courses tha I’ve played on your list:

Gullane#1- elevation changes, a caddy would be helpful on approach shots.

Dunbar- no caddy needed.

Kingsbarns- some elevation changes, a caddy might be helpful on approaches and on the green.

Castle- kind of a long walk. Greens are really tough to read. Those are the reason most St. Andrews caddies don’t want a loop there. So you might not get a caddy even if you wanted one.

Personally = 

• Gullane Golf Club No.1  - Na just a field with great bunkering, at 3 you understand golf.
  • Dunbar Golf  - short fun course.
  • Prestwick Golf - never played
  • Western Gailes - never played
  • Kingsbarn - wide open modern links, maybe
  • Eden - Simple course, na
  • Jubilee - Fun course, only ever played it with a member but can't think anything that jumps out.
  • Castle - Never played

In all honesty when it comes to a caddie it's mainly about experience, from what I understand all the courses you are playing(except Prestwick) are fine without a caddie but local knowledge always helps. I could easy save a newbie to my course numerous shots by explaining the hole to them rather than looking at an app etc but that is the same on so many courses. I had a caddie at Turnberry in 2019 and in all honesty I hated it except the green reading; he knew the greens like the back of his hand - I was duck hooking to 12 over through 6 and then 1 under last 12, he saved me.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

15 hours ago, Raz1374 said:

I’ve played all on your list except Castle and Gailes.  If you are a 3, not sure a caddy is going to be a huge help on the courses, other than taking a strain off the back or legs. 

Of the list, Prestwick has several blind shots where local knowledge would be helpful. Kingsbarns is also not a bad course to have a caddy. You don’t really need one for Eden or Dunbar IMO. Same for Gullane and Jubilee.  If you get on TOC, take a caddy. If not, just remember to “miss left”. 

Thank you for the insights. If we got on at TOC I'll 100% be taking a caddie. 

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

11 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Here’s the courses I would recommend a caddy for. However, this is just based on blind shots, course knowledge of bounces, and greens.

• Gullane Golf Club No.1  
  • Dunbar Golf  
  • Prestwick Golf A must in my opinion, lots of blind shots and quirky holes
  • Western Gailes 
  • Kingsbarn I would say yes
  • Jubilee
  • Castle Yes, very tricky terrain and “kickers” with a few blind shots, but very challenging greens

The other courses a course guide/yardage book should get you around the course fine.

You've been super helpful in this thread and the other.  I appreciate the time you've put in helping me tie a bow on this trip!

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

18 hours ago, Olson12 said:

Have you played any of the courses I listed?

No.  My response was purely from my value of caddies.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

5 hours ago, Olson12 said:

You've been super helpful in this thread and the other.  I appreciate the time you've put in helping me tie a bow on this trip!

Happy to help. Looking forward to reading your recap!

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

I might be in the minority as I rarely take a caddie.    Have played most of the ones listed with no caddie.  Playing Prestwick next May and the group is considering caddies there.   I actually play some of my best golf on links courses because I play golf not golf swing.   The yardage books the courses have are a great investment and alternative for me.    With a caddie, I worry to much about hitting to that spot versus aiming and making a good free swing.

I carry every round unless a member-guest, etc. but if you are looking for ease instead of carrying or using a trolley then caddie is a good option.    You will also find some great caddies and some that are so so.

Really no right or wrong answer but personal preference.   Have a great trip!

Ping G430 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410  17.5* and 20.5* Tour stiff

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 
Ping I230 6-pw - Project X IO 6.0
Ping Glide 4.0 50/54/58 Project X IO 6.0
Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish

Titleist Pro V1X

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, klebs01 said:

like throw them an extra €20 or the current American style 100%? 

Not 100%, I base it on how good they were. That includes how they helped my game as well as how good company they were. 20GBP is a minimum for me, usually though more than that, closer to 33-50%of the base fee. Ask the pro shop for guidance. They will often give you a typical range and expectations. Of course if the caddy eas terrible it's appropriate not to tip. I think there are other threads here on this subject

18 hours ago, klebs01 said:

Given the lack of tipping in Europe, do y’all just pay the posted rate or do you add on a tip?

From what I have been told a caddie at Royal Aberdeen -

60 cost - 55 goes to caddy, 5 to pro shop. The average tip is 30 on top of that. Sometimes they get balls etc or items from the visitors home course. I always take markers from Royal Aberdeen and give them away to folk at away courses. 

I have actually been tempted to caddie at times, be a nice way to earn some cash and walk on a nice day. Every time I seriously think about it I would just rather play. I actually think I would be really good as basically do it every time you play with a non member. 

16 hours ago, sabram said:

Not 100%, I base it on how good they were. That includes how they helped my game as well as how good company they were. 20GBP is a minimum for me, usually though more than that, closer to 33-50%of the base fee. Ask the pro shop for guidance. They will often give you a typical range and expectations. Of course if the caddy eas terrible it's appropriate not to tip. I think there are other threads here on this subject

Quality of caddy must vary hugely; some are just students or locals. Some may be a caddy but never played the course before. To me the best ones have been junior members and just grown up playing the course so know exactly how it plays rather than just the caddies point of view. There are some awesome caddies about, I know a guy who is a full time caddies and he does lots of different courses around East Lothian but lives in Glasgow area and travels daily as it is worth it for him. He was caddying for a team mate in a match Vs North Berwick a couple years ago and he was so helpful. we lost though. I won the second day without a caddy.

Edited by scott_Donald
  • Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

33 minutes ago, scott_Donald said:

60 cost - 55 goes to caddy, 5 to pro shop. The average tip is 30 on top of that.

Thanks. This makes sense. I’ll be in Ireland and was surprised by the range of cost about €40-95 for a single bag. All the course websites said they were independent contractors and they couldn’t suggest gratuity. I’m tempted to just get the junior caddies and give them some rounds. I’ve had some bad pro caddies in the US and would be much happier helping some kids. 

58 minutes ago, El Gringo said:

The caddies I know would be disappointed with anything under £100. Often get £110-£125. 

I'm a generous tipper and cant imaging giving someone a 100% tip.  I find that hard to believe that this is the expectation.

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

6 hours ago, Olson12 said:

I'm a generous tipper and cant imaging giving someone a 100% tip.  I find that hard to believe that this is the expectation.

£100 total. It doesn’t matter what the set fee is. Caddies I know are looking to walk away with £100 or more in cash. I caddie sometimes and rarely received less than £100.