Tiger and Nike golf to separate after PNC? (*** MERGED ***)

5 hours ago, sharkiesj said:

Just wondering if clothes/shoes with this old TW logo will become a lot more valuable or if it will become instant trash and start showing up at TJ Maxx along with all the Golden Bear shirts for $14.99.  

I don’t think the old TW logo stuff will become more valuable unfortunately.  Really stinks that the old logo is dead now.  

• Like 1

We'll see how long that old logo stays dead. If one thing is for certain, if TM and Tiger believe it can make them money and people would be nostalgic and buy shirts with the old logo it will show up again eventually. Look at the TW13's, 10 years later they returned and were a hit. No question in my mind at some point there will be a "retro" line of Tiger stuff from SDR with the old logo. Even if they promote it as a limited release or something, if it shows it can help the brand move product it will continue to show up. Marketing 101, if the people want something you generally don't try and fight them on it because they are basically doing your job for you by telling you what they want. Nothing is ever truly dead as long as it will still sell. 

You're telling me if they dropped a clean red polo right now with the old TW logo on the back of the neck/between the collarbones it wouldn't sell like hot cakes? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dimitrym91 said:

We'll see how long that old logo stays dead. If one thing is for certain, if TM and Tiger believe it can make them money and people would be nostalgic and buy shirts with the old logo it will show up again eventually. Look at the TW13's, 10 years later they returned and were a hit. No question in my mind at some point there will be a "retro" line of Tiger stuff from SDR with the old logo. Even if they promote it as a limited release or something, if it shows it can help the brand move product it will continue to show up. Marketing 101, if the people want something you generally don't try and fight them on it because they are basically doing your job for you by telling you what they want. Nothing is ever truly dead as long as it will still sell. 

You're telling me if they dropped a clean red polo right now with the old TW logo on the back of the neck/between the collarbones it wouldn't sell like hot cakes? 

Thus is EXACTLY what I’m talking bout. For example, let’s say these Masters color TW13 shoes, if kept in pristine condition and unworn for 10 years, what’s the value gonna be for a pair of these shoes?  It does make me wonder…

On 2/14/2024 at 12:22 PM, Walkerdb7 said:

Golf Threads Blog “now we’ve got white shoes with black pants?”

IMG_6293.jpeg

81C0A463-55D1-40C9-9DC8-30D00D1B8E4C.jpeg

Had no idea white shoes and black pants were a bad thing? Just did it yesterday lol

TM Qi10 (9*) | Speeder Evolution IV 661 X

TM M6 3w (15*) | HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.0

TM Stealth2+ 5w (18*) | HZRDUS Yellow 83 6.5

PXG Gen4 0311 X (20*) | HZRDUS Black 105 6.5 

PXG Gen4 0311 T (4) | DG X100

TM P730 (5-9) | DG X100 

TM MG3 (46.09, 54.13, 60.TW) | DG S300 

TM TP Soto CB

Ball: Taylormade TP5x 

2 hours ago, dimitrym91 said:

I think they’ve had some clean red polos with the TW logo on the back and they didn’t sell well at all - why the breakup.

I get there’s lots of Tiger-Nike fans here, but I’ve seen reports Tiger’s relationship with Nike had been souring for a while (it wasn’t enough they they were the only sponsor to stand by him with his reprehensible behavior followed by his reckless car crash). And like MJ, Tiger loves holding grudges. He’s not going to give permission for Nike to use the TW logo or his name or likeness for anything, ever again.

So you’re gonna have to choose: Nike stuff, old TW stuff, or the new SDR stuff with the crayon logo made in Canva. 

• Haha 1

Great take on “Fully Equipped” pod. They were saying he owns the TW logo and could launch it at a later as a retro collection sort of thing. 

They pointed out that using the TW logo today might confuse people he’s still in Nike. Maybe the plan is clean break for PR purposes and then worry about selling it. 

• Like 1

Epic Max LS - HZRDUS SMOKE iM10

Epic Max 7W  - HZRDUS SMOKE iM10
4- P  T100S LA Golf A Series - BB and F Ferrule OG Squall
Raw Vokey SM9 50F, 54D, 58M S400 - BB and F Ferrule OG Squall

Vokey 64 Jimmy Walker S400 - BB and F Ferrule

Cameron Futura X11.5 - BGT Shaft - Super Stroke Flatso 1.0

1 hour ago, Walkerdb7 said:

Great take on “Fully Equipped” pod. They were saying he owns the TW logo and could launch it at a later as a retro collection sort of thing. 

They pointed out that using the TW logo today might confuse people he’s still in Nike. Maybe the plan is clean break for PR purposes and then worry about selling it. 

Exactly. According to Tiger, the old logo is never coming back though. 

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

6 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

Exactly. According to Tiger, the old logo is never coming back though. 

Exactly. Just going to make it even more exciting and hyped up when he does it...

He looks good today, I support the fit and the concept.

image.png.5e27b46c50115de27f42e721375432f7.png

image.png.0948f440f680415f9ff350adff5d07db.png

• Like 3

Epic Max 7W  - HZRDUS SMOKE iM10
4- P  T100S LA Golf A Series - BB and F Ferrule OG Squall
Raw Vokey SM9 50F, 54D, 58M S400 - BB and F Ferrule OG Squall

Vokey 64 Jimmy Walker S400 - BB and F Ferrule

Cameron Futura X11.5 - BGT Shaft - Super Stroke Flatso 1.0

On 2/11/2024 at 8:05 PM, jds101086 said:

Valid.

Tiger didn’t decide to leave Nike. Nike cut a ton of players as they didn’t want/couldn’t afford them any longer. I’m sure it was open discussion and Tiger knew this before anyone outside of the decision makers at Nike. Probably why a mock up of his logo came out so soon after the announcement.

I could be wrong(probably am) that if Tiger had no suitors for an apparel line, he wouldn’t pursue one on his own from the ground up. He’s not a fashionable guy and seems to not give a sh*t what he wears.

If TM were to buy Grayson they would have wanted it regardless of having a TW line. As we all know Tigers Nike line never sold well, I’d have to assume a single digit percentage of their golf apparel sales. It’d be a reasonable thing to assume that SDR line would capture cannibalize some go Grayson sales and grow it marginally. TM being as large as they are and Grayson being as niche as they are I can’t imagine a scenario where TM would look at the projections and numbers and feel good about the investment. If Nike gets out of an industry where they make money, but not enough money; I’d assume TM would feel the same. Is the juice worth the squeeze or are we getting into a new market just because we can? 

Also TM being owned by private equity plays a part. Those people aren’t looking to make big investments and buying up companies.

Grayson is made in Peru, it’s not like they have their own factories spitting out polos. TM could pick up the phone and in 5 minutes have 5 comparable factories. Quality is not something you have to learn or throw massive R&D money at. Grayson doesn’t do anything a major company couldn’t learn in a week. If this were clubs then yes you’d have to figure how much time and money you’d save in R&D by just buying a company who already has that done.

So they buy Grayson for $100mil(no clue their value) and what are they getting they couldn’t figure out in a short amount of time? A growing company, a reputation, and saving a handful of months of time to spin up the SDR line? 

The way TM and Tiger make the most out of this is doing it themselves. launching a new line, next to the one you bought already in the hole $100mil? Obviously there will be large start up costs but not $100mil.

Not touching the equity piece as we have no clue who has what and what it’s worth.

Stepping away from the business side and back to a golfer who buys this stuff. Travis Mathews quality has fallen off a cliff since Callaway bout them. No reason not to assume as much if TM buys Grayson. Grayson will never be near top 5 in clothing as far as volume. Too niche, expensive, small presence at clubs and retail. Obviously they will continue to grow but I can’t imagine anyone over 40 wearing their fit/style of clothing.

Then you have Tigers new logo… and it’s a**. JT doesn’t make one ounce of a difference in Tiger and TM’s decision making. He doesn’t move the needle at all. If equity plays out and JT gets a little extra cash thanks to a deal it’s a happy little sidenote.

Tell me you've never worn GREYSON, without telling me....

Their "fit" is more apt for older guys.  They have just as many plain/striped polos as wild prints.  And the cashmere, shorts, pants etc, fit every age of golfer.  I can see them being top 5 and if a major supplier buys them, they will blow TM out of the water.

2 hours ago, NBowling11 said:

Tell me you've never worn GREYSON, without telling me....

Their "fit" is more apt for older guys.  They have just as many plain/striped polos as wild prints.  And the cashmere, shorts, pants etc, fit every age of golfer.  I can see them being top 5 and if a major supplier buys them, they will blow TM out of the water.

You're right. Only 8+? polos and 4 QZips. Qzips in M fit a little less snug in the gut vs Peter Millar, but still a fairly athletic cut. Polos in S make me think I'm Camilo but aren't to be worn within 12 hours of eating Chipotle. In M almost identical sleeve length but a few inches more in the waist(and a few inches longer).

Their polos are fantastic quality, as good as anyone. QZip's are kind of a let down with inconsistent stitching and lighter materials. Even then they are still good. PM makes the best QZips in my mind.

Obviously where your market is totally dictates how much Greyson you'll see. Being from the midwest and now down in Scottsdale I don't personally know anyone over 40 who would fit in/wear Greyson. Thinking on it I have seen Greyson in maybe 1-2 pro shops out of 40+?

You're right, TM(Taylormade or Travis Mathew) won't get to Greysons quality. MY big concern with the TM/Tiger deal is they'd buy Greyson and ruin it. f*** the suppliers and continue to grow organically. Pro shops can only have so many $100+ polos and odds are they have had PM, GFore.

• Like 1

Taylormade Stealth Plus 10.5 - Fujikura Evo II 665 X

Callaway Mavrik SZ 16.5* - Fujikura Speeder Evo V 757 X

4-PW Titleist CNCPT CP02 True Temper Monaco X

46, 50, 54, 60 Vokey SM9 Raw - True Temper Monaco X and S

Taylormade Spider Tour

On 2/18/2024 at 1:20 AM, jds101086 said:

You're right. Only 8+? polos and 4 QZips. Qzips in M fit a little less snug in the gut vs Peter Millar, but still a fairly athletic cut. Polos in S make me think I'm Camilo but aren't to be worn within 12 hours of eating Chipotle. In M almost identical sleeve length but a few inches more in the waist(and a few inches longer).

Their polos are fantastic quality, as good as anyone. QZip's are kind of a let down with inconsistent stitching and lighter materials. Even then they are still good. PM makes the best QZips in my mind.

Obviously where your market is totally dictates how much Greyson you'll see. Being from the midwest and now down in Scottsdale I don't personally know anyone over 40 who would fit in/wear Greyson. Thinking on it I have seen Greyson in maybe 1-2 pro shops out of 40+?

You're right, TM(Taylormade or Travis Mathew) won't get to Greysons quality. MY big concern with the TM/Tiger deal is they'd buy Greyson and ruin it. f*** the suppliers and continue to grow organically. Pro shops can only have so many $100+ polos and odds are they have had PM, GFore.

Interesting.  I can wear a L and sometimes XL in other brands.  When it comes to Greyson their M fit me.  If I tried to wear an XL it's like a big trash bag.  

Now, the Cherokee polo is a little more fitted than the others, but that's it. 

On 2/18/2024 at 1:20 AM, jds101086 said:

I'm 44 and love Greyson. A lot of guys in my golf friend group do as well, and are all in the 43-50 age range.

Wearing a Greyson polo and shorts in my profile pic actually.

Edited by 1puttTUT
  • Like 2

Greyson isn’t nearly as skinny fit as I assumed considering who wore it on the pro circuit.  I stayed away for a few years just assuming it was other skinny fit stuff.  I was 270 and now am 235 ans when I was 270 a XXL fit well and plenty of room. Now a XL fits great.

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

• 1 month later...

Lucas Glover in Nike shoes now

Edited by Walkerdb7