2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

Ball roll back, simpler solution: driver off the deck

Could this be a simpler solution that would require no adjustment to the ball or driver? Basically no more tee'ing the ball up.  If you want to hit driver off the tee box it's got to be off the ground.  This would bring the driver back to being one of the harder clubs to hit instead of the easiest.  Or you could keep the tees, but make a limit of 1inch height.  

As a guy who hits a DOD on 2-3 tee boxes per round, I approve this message 😂. Wait until the new complaint start being that guys are hitting too many fairways....

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS (8), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Taylormade SLDR Mini (12), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

Titleist TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

Srixon U85 (22), PX 6.5

Ping i210 (5-UW), X100

Mizuno T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

DFX 2 Ball Blade 

Srixon Z-Star XV

Nascar with less HP hasn't been that great

• Like 2

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood (HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX)

Hybrid: Nike Slingshot 5 (26 Degrees) 

Irons: Ping Zings 2 -5 , Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 6 to 8

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05)  ,  Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  Wilson Sandy Andy (57 degrees)

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

-

Ball:  Pro V1's or Yellow Callaway ERC Soft Triple Track (2023)

-

Other sets include:  1972 Wilson X31's 2 to PW , Hogan Redline's 1988  4 to E (no 7), 1988 Jack Nicklaus Super Eye-O-Matic (EOM) Persimmons

42 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Here are my suggestions for other sports, using the R&A and USGA as an example.

1.  MLB-Deaden the ball, because there are too many home runs.
2.  NBA-Raise the rim and move the 3 point line out farther, because there are too many dunks and too many 3’s being made.
3.  NFL-Narrow the field and force the QB’s to wear bigger shoulder pads because passing yardage numbers are too high.
4.  NHL and MLS-Make the goal smaller, as scoring is too easy.
5.  Tennis-Make the ball less lively because faster serves are ruining the game.

How would these changes affect the popularity of those sports.

6. Exotic dancers - make certain..."accessories", shall we say, smaller.

• Haha 4

Consider how comically absurd a modern driver would look to a golfer in the 1940s. He'd probably think it was a child's play thing. He may not even recognize it as a real golf club. 

Are players today really working harder or are they optimizing around more powerful equipment, teaching, technology, etc. and are the results really all that impressive or just a commentary on how far we've allowed things to slide? 

When you realize how ridiculous it is how far these player-friendly things have evolved to be (like the size of drivers) and what howling results when a minor adjustment is made to the ball you begin to wonder about people. 

I'm not saying the whole human race is bad necessarily but perhaps they are. 

All this talk of how far the Pro's hit their drivers and how critical it is to the popularity of the game...is that true? I haven't watched a men's pro tournament in a long time and I don't honestly recall the last lengthy conversation I had with anyone about men's pro golf outside of the LIV thing. 

Truth be told, most people I know aren't even paying attention to Pro Golf anymore. It's sort of dead with people actually playing golf and there being so much content on YT. Maybe a hot take but it's been my experience. 

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

ZX (4i) (UST Recoil)
T100 (5i-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM10 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Odyssey OG 2-Ball

15 minutes ago, MelloYello said:

Consider how comically absurd a modern driver would look to a golfer in the 1940s. He'd probably think it was a child's play thing. He may not even recognize it as a real golf club. 

Are players today really working harder or are they optimizing around more powerful equipment, teaching, technology, etc. and are the results really all that impressive or just a commentary on how far we've allowed things to slide? 

When you realize how ridiculous it is how far these player-friendly things have evolved to be (like the size of drivers) and what howling results when a minor adjustment is made to the ball you begin to wonder about people. 

All this talk of how far the Pro's hit their drivers and how critical it is to the popularity of the game...is that true? I haven't watched a men's pro tournament in a long time and I don't honestly recall the last lengthy conversation I had with anyone about men's pro golf outside of the LIV thing. 

Truth be told, most people I know aren't even paying attention to Pro Golf anymore. It's sort of dead with people actually playing golf and there being so much content on YT. Maybe a hot take but it's been my experience. 

Pro golf is dead?  Interesting take!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MelloYello said:

Shoot, just go back to the late 90s. I remember the biggest big bertha...first 460cc head, I think. That thing looked like a balloon on a stick compared to the og warbird I was playing 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MBAndrews21 said:

Does anyone think that they should’ve just stopped the balls and drivers where they were? If max distance is 315 (making that number up) with the machine, then keep it that way. Don’t let the balls/drivers get any faster, but don’t roll them back either.

Seemed like the best solution to me.

How do you propose they stop people from swinging faster?

They did "stop the balls where they were." That's what the ODS is. This is a change to the ODS to slightly reduce/lower the upper limits of what they'll test.

• Like 4

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 30. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

2 hours ago, MelloYello said:

Tell that to the guys behind the huge rv deal and all the advertisers. Seems like pro golf is still doing pretty well

1 hour ago, MBAndrews21 said:

Does anyone think that they should’ve just stopped the balls and drivers where they were? If max distance is 315 (making that number up) with the machine, then keep it that way. Don’t let the balls/drivers get any faster, but don’t roll them back either.

Seemed like the best solution to me.

They could have but the RBs were dead set on reducing distance on the pro circuit. They wanted a rollback for everyone and the industry told them no so they went with the MLR trying to force the pro tours into bifurcation. They said not happening. RBs said cool then because you won’t cooperate we will punish everyone 

1 hour ago, Nels55 said:

Pro golf is dead?  Interesting take!

I wouldn't say it's dead, least in my social circles. 

Plenty of friends still spend money on memberships and don't care about the cost of golf.  Yet, three guys who I've known since college football, each has been playing golf since their college golf days, hardly play anymore and seldom, if ever, watch TV golf.   From the conversations I've been a part of, the crap surround LIV and the PGA Tour has put a bad taste in the mouths of plenty of lifelong golfers.  I'll leave that subject there.  

Most people I know that play golf no longer aspire to emulate their favorite tour players.  I hear too often, the game is too difficult, and tour players are different.  It's sad how people give in to challenges.  And these people were amazingly successful.  I will aspire until I can't.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Fujikura Pro 95i Tour S
  • T100 (2023) 3i & 4i MMT 95S, T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SM10 F46.10, MCI Wedge 105 Mild
  • F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or new AVX

12 minutes ago, GoGoErky said:

They could have but the RBs were dead set on reducing distance on the pro circuit. They wanted a rollback for everyone and the industry told them no so they went with the MLR trying to force the pro tours into bifurcation. They said not happening. RBs said cool then because you won’t cooperate we will punish everyone 

I am pretty sure that the ruling bodies have a buy in from the ball manufactures and the various tours.  OEMs will make money off of it for sure.  LOL more then 30% of balls manufactured today are conforming to the new rules anyway.  It's a tempest in teapot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fuscinator said:

6. Exotic dancers - make certain..."accessories", shall we say, smaller.

Word

• Haha 2

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Knowledge is a tomato is a fruit and wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.   

3 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Here are my suggestions for other sports, using the R&A and USGA as an example.

1.  MLB-Deaden the ball, because there are too many home runs.
2.  NBA-Raise the rim and move the 3 point line out farther, because there are too many dunks and too many 3’s being made.
3.  NFL-Narrow the field and force the QB’s to wear bigger shoulder pads because passing yardage numbers are too high.
4.  NHL and MLS-Make the goal smaller, as scoring is too easy.
5.  Tennis-Make the ball less lively because faster serves are ruining the game.

How would these changes affect the popularity of those sports.

Funnily enough when Sampras and Ivanisevic were kicking butt at Wimbledon, there was a lot of talk about how serve volley is boring and they needed to slow the serve down. I think they did actually change the balls too, which is why it's more rallies now and less serve-volley.

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

48 minutes ago, Nels55 said:

I am pretty sure that the ruling bodies have a buy in from the ball manufactures and the various tours.  OEMs will make money off of it for sure.  LOL more then 30% of balls manufactured today are conforming to the new rules anyway.  It's a tempest in teapot.

So they claim, yet they can’t even really tell the truth. Theres zero trust for the RBs

In testing with the NP-500 ... participants reported a perceived distance reduction of about 4.9 percent (210 yards compared to a 221-yard self-reported average). This is consistent with expectations based on laboratory testing.” In other words, not quite one to five yards. Still, Thomas Pagel, the USGA's chief governance officer, told Golf Digest everyday golfers should rest easy.

"It's five yards at most and likely limited to your driver," Pagel said.

USGA/R&A make it official, announce golf ball rollback for all golfers (and drivers might be next) | Golf News and Tour Information | GolfDigest.com

• Like 1

Distance is relative. It's not a big deal. I'd rather have classic golf courses and iron play stay relevant. 

• Like 1

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

Paradym ✦✦✦ 15˚ Kai'li White 80

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

RTX Zipcore Raw 48M/54M/60L 

Byron Morgan 029x PROTO-Carbon/Toulon San Diego Garage-Naked

Pro V1X 

9 minutes ago, GoGoErky said:

So they claim, yet they can’t even really tell the truth. Theres zero trust for the RBs

In testing with the NP-500 ... participants reported a perceived distance reduction of about 4.9 percent (210 yards compared to a 221-yard self-reported average). This is consistent with expectations based on laboratory testing.” In other words, not quite one to five yards. Still, Thomas Pagel, the USGA's chief governance officer, told Golf Digest everyday golfers should rest easy.

"It's five yards at most and likely limited to your driver," Pagel said.

USGA/R&A make it official, announce golf ball rollback for all golfers (and drivers might be next) | Golf News and Tour Information | GolfDigest.com

That is a huge loss in distance for someone who goes from 220 to 209. And how about mishits? will the ball perform the same on mishits or will there be a bigger loss? In other words is the ball more or less forgiving?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MPStrat said:

I'd much rather have the extra distance and potentially slightly faster pace of play

Not any faster. The further the ball travels the bigger the miss.

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

Paradym ✦✦✦ 15˚ Kai'li White 80

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

RTX Zipcore Raw 48M/54M/60L 

Byron Morgan 029x PROTO-Carbon/Toulon San Diego Garage-Naked

Pro V1X