Is there anybody who did not like or think the Mezz Max was an upgrade over their existing putter?

Kevmonton

I hate to be a negative Nelly but I am considering ordering the Mezz Max putter. Today is the last day of the 20% sale so I have to act a little quicker than I like.  The 8 week turn around time doesn't help either! This would be an expensive purchase for me so I prefer to get this one right.  I have gone up the the PGA Superstore and hit about a dozen times. I even attached a 15 gram weight to the head to see if I preferred the heavier weight. I have brought my putter with but lets be real, it is a 25 foot indoor green! I can't seem to find anyone who felt this putter was not an upgrade over their current putter.  Anybody out there?

40 minutes ago, Kevmonton said:

I hate to be a negative Nelly but I am considering ordering the Mezz Max putter. Today is the last day of the 20% sale so I have to act a little quicker than I like.  The 8 week turn around time doesn't help either! This would be an expensive purchase for me so I prefer to get this one right.  I have gone up the the PGA Superstore and hit about a dozen times. I even attached a 15 gram weight to the head to see if I preferred the heavier weight. I have brought my putter with but lets be real, it is a 25 foot indoor green! I can't seem to find anyone who felt this putter was not an upgrade over their current putter.  Anybody out there?

I want to share my recent experiences with you and also commend LAB.

During the Black Friday sale, I ordered a Mezz Max counterbalanced putter with the TPT shaft.  Less than 2 weeks later, it was in my hands and perfect.

During the still-active (as of this writing) LAB outlet sale, I ordered a custom white Link with a TPT shaft.  It was shipped after 2 days and in my hands 4 days after I placed the order.

CRAZY fast service recently.

regarding the question about what the Mezz Max will do for your game - short answer: LABs are the only putters that I will play from here on out.  I sold off everything else.  You will almost-certainly NOT regret it. 

• Like 1

I have rolled all the labs and owned 3. Neither could stick in the bag. For me, I did not like the way they lined up or the grips, and I struggled on shorter putts.  If I was to switch over to a LAB I would do the LINK so I could eliminate those issues  

It really is up to you. It's a stiff price to pay up front for buying a putter you havnt used or been fit for with that putter in hand. 

Edited by 5hort5tuff
  • Like 1

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

I played a Mezz Max the full season this year, after being a cereal putter switcher in 2022. 

I think it is a very stable putter and is worth experimenting with, but I don’t think it’s a silver bullet and will be trying something else in 2024. 

There were a few things I didn’t love about it. Something about the design had me struggling on lengthy putts. I know Lab has said there is a feeling of weightlessness that can take some adjusting. But I did give it a full season. 

Another issue is the price. I understand why their costs are high, but I didn’t see an improvement to justify the cost. I put up numbers just as well with a $99 Wilson Infinite or old 2-ball. I do have some buyers remorse because of that, knowing I can perform just as well with something substantially cheaper. But I bought into the technology and enjoy trying new stuff. 

A third issue, and it’s hard for me to describe but the best I could say is a lack of agility. To me it feels a heavy branding iron and when playing different courses or under different conditions I had a real hard time adjusting. 

Lastly the press grip. I think it’s a big negative not being able to use your favorite grip and still have the putter balance or be used as designed.  

• Like 4

I ordered a custom Mezz Max in August, did the online fitting, Accra shaft, 1.5 grip etc. Came in late September and I used it for roughly 3 1/2 weeks. If we're going by my arccos numbers, putting is the only thing holding me back from being a true scratch or plus. I'm not a "bad" putter, but I do feel like I make one or two less of those 5-10 footers per round that really "good" putters seem to make. Needless to say I was excited to get it in the mail finally.

In the 15ish rounds I used the Mezz Max my putting was objectively worse than the NP2/Spider X/Phantom 5.5 I perpetually switched back and forth with. There is a LOT of "blame the carpenter not the tools" in there, but I found it extremely hard to line up, lag putting felt odd, big breaking putts even more odd, and putting somehow felt more technical than I already make it.

I haven't sold it, and I plan on starting the 2024 season with it in the bag, fresh start with 4 more months of carpet practice, but I think it'll have a quick leash. I'm wondering if the Link is more up my alley, but its a costly experiment as we all know.

D - TSR3 | Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W - Stealth+ | Ventus Blue 7X

5W - TSR2 | AD DI 8X

4H - TSR2 | AD DI 9X

5-PW - MP-223 | PX LZ 6.5

50/55/60 - MG4 | DG TI S400

P - Studio Stainless NP2 350g

B - ProV1x

B - Linksmaster

20 minutes ago, kwainio said:

I ordered a custom Mezz Max in August, did the online fitting, Accra shaft, 1.5 grip etc. Came in late September and I used it for roughly 3 1/2 weeks. If we're going by my arccos numbers, putting is the only thing holding me back from being a true scratch or plus. I'm not a "bad" putter, but I do feel like I make one or two less of those 5-10 footers per round that really "good" putters seem to make. Needless to say I was excited to get it in the mail finally.

In the 15ish rounds I used the Mezz Max my putting was objectively worse than the NP2/Spider X/Phantom 5.5 I perpetually switched back and forth with. There is a LOT of "blame the carpenter not the tools" in there, but I found it extremely hard to line up, lag putting felt odd, big breaking putts even more odd, and putting somehow felt more technical than I already make it.

I haven't sold it, and I plan on starting the 2024 season with it in the bag, fresh start with 4 more months of carpet practice, but I think it'll have a quick leash. I'm wondering if the Link is more up my alley, but its a costly experiment as we all know.

I feel very similar. I’m a 4 hcp and see the same thing. Make a few less of those 5-10 foot putts that my playing partners, who are better are draining. Was hoping the Mezz would be revolutionary, but for me it has generally been just another putter. 

3 hours ago, vankody said:

How is the quality of the grip? They look cheap to me, but it's tough to determine via pictures only

I don't know about cheap.  Definitely try them in your hands before buying.  For me, the Press II is a hair big, and I didn't know that before trying it.  I've a Pistol from them that isn't, which I'm about to put on.

I will reiterate that you must be fitted for these to get the most out of them.  Little differences in length and lie angle matter here.  If you fit into a, e.g., 34" 66°, and you buy a 35" 70°, you're likely going to feel like you wasted your money.

As to alignment, I can see how that can be a pain.  They offer a bunch of choices for customization.  I recommend making use of them.  I am a big fan of the multiple lines extending full length, when coupled with Callaway's triple track ball.

Edit: it's also a very strange setup and feel vs, say, an Anser.  Ball is much more forward, feel is almost anesthetized in the hands, and it greatly rewards a mechanistic, pendulum-feel and stroke.  I read Pelz's, "Putt like the Pros," back in the day, so that's how I was taught putting "should" feel. Consequently, the DF was not that big an adjustment.  If you're more of a feel putter, this can be a big adjustment.

Edited by Jayjay_theweim_guy

The Lab stuff doesn’t work for me. I use putters with quite a bit of toe hang. I need that extra weight in the toe to square the face at impact. Like it was stated above, I’m sure that’s got more to do with my crappy putting stroke and I’m sure they work great for some people. 

If I had to guess, others who have more of an arc in their stroke like myself, would also struggle with these putters. 

• Like 1

Driver:           45" Titleist TSR3 Fujikura Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6X 
Fairway:        Titleist TSR2 3 Wood Mitsubishi 1K Black 75g X
Hybrid:          Titleist TSR2 4 Hybrid Mitsubishi 1k Black 85g X

Irons:             Mizuno Pro 243 Modus 105x
Wedges:       Blue Mizuno T24 50/56/60 
Putter:           LAB Golf Blue 37" CB DF3 w/ White Accra Shaft

Ball:               Pro V1/MaxFli Tour
Bag:               VESSEL Grey Player III Stand   

4 hours ago, Brooks_Cupcake said:

Worst feeling putter I ever tried….

I forgot to mention this too. They dont feel great to me either.  Of all the LAB putters the Link feels best. 

I also above said I didnt lole the grips. I dislike the superstroke style grip that the offset models require. I also dislike the look of them. I dont love their OG press grips either.  So, I dont like having to use a grip dont like on a putter that already looks and feels weird. 

I tried their LAB rubber pistol and it was fine. 

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

I bought a Mez Max 45 days ago, it's sitting in the garage right now, as I've been putting much better with my Ping Tyne C.  Distance control with the LAB is very inconsistent.  Our greens are fast and I'm not sure if it's the face, the head weight or the grip but controlling rollout is not easy.  The Ping is lighter, has a smaller non-press grip but i can control distance with it very well, especially on lag putts.  Putting on a line is about the same, maybe even better with the LAB, but without the distance control I can't keep it in the bag.  

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Not a Mezz, but a Link guy. I took a dive on it, cause putting was really the weakest spot of my game. It's not a silver bullet, like others have said, but after my first two rounds with it, I've noticed much more consistency in getting the ball rolling on my intended start line, with a very good roll. I did their online fitting process and was fit into a standard length and lie so that made things easy, plus they gave me 30% off for doing it as well which helped ease the wallet pain. So far I can say I like it, and now I'm much more confident that my read was wrong than whether or not I missed a few mm off the toe. After using it for 20+ rounds, would I buy another one? Probably.

Edited by moostache
context

I just purchased one off someone on here. A mezz max broomstick. First time ever trying a lab let alone a broomstick style. It is a little weird to look down at, takes some getting used to. Put a good roll on the ball for me, like said above. It really hits your starting line consistently. I hit putts for an hour around my course today with the mezz compared to my lajosi blade i have. Short putts it seems automatic, the distance control on long putts i can see being tricky. Overall just seems to hit the intended start line just about everytime. Everything else is up to you. 

Just purchased a DF, taking advantage of the 20% off. At $320 total, I won't take a big hit if I decide to sell it. The 73 degree upright lie was the selling point. That is what I measured out to from their fitting. I have had two Mezz's and one Link1.

If the Link one had a longer alignment line, I probabsbly would have kept it. Obviously, a longer alignment line is impossible on a Link 1 although I did have a couple of designs to increase the line. It did perform significantly better in my hands than both Mezz's did. The feeling you get when you hit a putt in the exact sweet spot of a Link 1 putter has not been felt from any putter I have ever used. My go back to putter is a Scotty Cameron Futura that I modified to center-shafted. I hope

the DF putter performs well for me. If it doesn't, it won't be the first or last time I switch putters.

IMG_0388.jpg.d03ec8a0e15a35c8325238271b217d30.jpg IMG_0388.jpg.d03ec8a0e15a35c8325238271b217d30.jpg

The first round out with it I absolutely hated it.  I found distance was great but I was pushing everything to the right.  EVERYTHING.  I put it up for sale after that on a FB page and actually had the owner of the company commenting on why I was selling the putter after one round.  We talked it over and I adjusted the ball position forward and worked on a couple "no thumb" putting exercises since the face wants to sit square.  Best decision I've made was to stick it out with that putter.  It may not be for everyone but the science is sound and I have a ton of confidence in it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, labgolf said:

I'll just say that if anyone here is struggling and still has their LAB, I can help. There's only a couple reasons why anyone wouldn't see benefit and they're easy to fix!

I did your video fitting with the intention of purchasing the Mezz Max.  I am now considering holding off until the DF3 comes out. Can I assume the specs I was given will conform for this putter as well? Thanks.

Ill preface this by saying I am very particular about look and feel of my clubs...

I had a Mezz on loan from a local fitter for a few weeks and I just could not get used to the feel.  As with all my clubs, I like to know where I struck it, but couldn't discern anything with the Mezz.  I think that may be due to the design and stability...you just don't get the torque transfer that is noticeable on mishits which probably is a good thing for consistency I'm sure.  In any case, I did not see any noticeable improvement after 6 full rounds and hours of practice compared to my gamer.  I am sure over time I would get results, but I could not give it a chance due to feel and the impact sound.

Edited by lookylookitzadam

I got fitted for a my mezz in late '22 and had it in the bag for a few months. The technology is awesome and it feels incredibly stable, I just could not get distance control down with it. I ultimately switched back to my phantom X5 where i'm a lot more comfortable. I still have the mezz and it threatens to come back into my bag every so often, but when I take it out to practice I just cant get comfortable enough to pull the trigger. I could definitely see it happening at some point though because it really is a top notch putter. I think a smaller grip might help me with it a little bit as well.  

I’ve tried the Mezz.1, Link.1, and DF2.1. I really like the DF2.1 and that looks like it will be in the bag for a while - or at least until the smaller DF3 comes out. The Mezz.1 I just couldn’t get along with. I really didn’t like how much the shaft is onset back into the putter head. It kept messing with my eyes and alignment and just couldn’t get used to it. For some reason though with the DF2.1 having way more onset it didn’t bother me. The shaft is onset so far back that I don’t really notice it and just focus on the face. Seems counterintuitive but that was my experience with the Mezz. 

PING G410 LST 10.5* --- Project X Evenflow Blue 55-S

PING G410 17.5* & 20.5* FW --- Aldila Tour Blue 65-S

Titleist 818H1 23* Hybrid --- Project X Evenflow Riptide 80-6.0

PING i210 5-UW --- Nippon Modus 105-S

PING Glide 3.0 Eye2 54* & 58* --- Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

L.A.B. DF3 --- Accra x L.A.B.

The only reason I ever got out of the LAB was because the LAB I bought off my buddy was too short for my height and posture.  After being fit into a Piretti, I can safely say that the feel of the LAB was not great, but the lie angle balance technology in it will work its way back into the bag for 2024.  It really is that easy to keep the stroke on track with the LAB

I bought a DF 2.1 about a month ago and was able to get out for a couple of rounds before it turned cold. 2 of the best putting rounds of the year for me. Everything inside 8 feet I was very confident was going in the hole and all putts if they didn't go in ended up within a foot of the hole. Putter put a very good roll on the ball and not just curious how I'll put with it as the green speeds increase during the summer. So far so good and hopefully will be the last putter purchase I make