2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

90° of Clubface Rotation in a relatively short span

18 minutes ago, cav5 said:

It's comical that playing off a 5cap both @Righty to Lefty means nothing to some of the posters here. You realize how difficult that?

I've seen him do all this stuff first hand. The Hovland/mayo mania is wild to me. Dude just got his low point way ahead and takes out the shaft lean very close to the ball. That feeling lets him repeat, its not some farfetched thing. Honestly his brain probably can't comprehend engaging earlier (I know that mine couldn't), which is fine. He figured out the bounce and the internet went crazy, maybe he'll figure out how to use it even better.

If you understand what R2L is saying. There is no difference in doing what hovland/mayo do compared to putting the low point closer to ball and getting into the even turf earlier with bounce engaged. If you can't do it then you really don't know how to use the bounce.

As for uphill, bermuda, in grain- nothing changes besides how you plan for the shot. There's gonna resistance change, there's gonna need more or less speed or swing. But the goal hasn't changed you still need to be aware of and get to low point (how far in front and how far in depth) without the leading edge. You must be able to control those variables anywhere from any lie. Bad bermuda play is mainly just exposing ineffecient "standard" wedge play. Don't try to learn different shots. I try to learn how to apply a concept to a new situation.

I sought out his advice this year in person. I could not match up flush and straight. I either clanked it online or flushed it offline. I could not perceive where I felt the strike pressurized relative to the target. Thats one story, but when I arrived and saw him hitting short game shots 10x better than me, then clinically throughout the round I was like WTF. He's got the blade pointed at the middle of the ball with the club a foot behind the ball

The ballstriking comments are funny. If you met R2L he represents your average golf nut. Key difference is he went from sucks to good. Most never do despite the massive instruction industry. R2L made the realization that his swing really couldn't be that bad, he just had to put it in the right place. Simply put, he figured out its not some greasy thought that puts it all together, its a framework of understanding a swing without hit instinct, trusting his knowledge of impact to allow it to train his motion. This part is harder than it seems because you need to be aware of LOT upfront. The mental fatigue of doing it I think is 10x a swing motion change, but the time to success is half that.

Could his swing be better or more dynamic, sure. Would it matter if he didn't know what he now knows, no. Is it even easier to get better now, yes.

Personally I'm much more impressed seeing someone at ground zero figure it out than someone who stumbled upon it as a kid.

People love to bash on this forum. Same thing happened with Frozen Divots

About time you showed up. 

I'm a +3. Do you know how difficult that is? Want to learn what my feels are? They're probably perfect for you....

I'll give credit that getting to 5 handicap after switching sides is good. However, let's cut the crap about him being a 5 from both sides until we see scores posted from both sides...we need 10 rounds thr last year from each side showing he's a 5 from both.  I'll give that props if he still maintains a 5 from both sides. 

However, the premise still stands...his feels work for him and some of his feels will work for others. But none of his feels are absolutes for everyone. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Righty to Lefty said:

I know what it "feels" like to pull on the club from top of my backswing, I also know what it feels like to stop the handle end of the club when the club gets below shaft parallel on the downswing because I have a tsunami bar that will not allow you to effectively pull on the club from the top. Standby bout to make a video showing the tsunami bar and you will quickly see that it is not possible to pull on it effectively from the top of the backswing if you intend to stop the handle end.

Still feel vs real. If you didn't supply any sort of "pulling" force on your tsunami bar, it wouldn't follow you when you turned your upper body. You're just using different definitions/feels of "pulling".

The part that everyone is adamantly disagreeing with you is that you believe your feels are "The One True Feel to Rule Them All" and no other feels can be utilized.  Well that and insisting your feels are all real...

Edited by Simpsonia
  • Like 4

Short chip, 10 yards. Pin is cut 2 yards past the fringe. You must land the ball in the fringe. Tight lie so flop won't work.

Ball off trail toe, deloft a 60, shaft forward. Using a no wrists motion, strike ball first and land it where it'll hop 1 time in the fringe, and then softly release to the hole.

I just noted a time when engaging the bounce would be bad and using the leading edge is the best method.

@Righty to Lefty...am I making sense?

15 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

About time you showed up. 

I'm a +3. Do you know how difficult that is? Want to learn what my feels are? They're probably perfect for you....

I'll give credit that getting to 5 handicap after switching sides is good. However, let's cut the crap about him being a 5 from both sides until we see scores posted from both sides...we need 10 rounds thr last year from each side showing he's a 5 from both.  I'll give that props if he still maintains a 5 from both sides. 

However, the premise still stands...his feels work for him and some of his feels will work for others. But none of his feels are absolutes for everyone. 

Actually Its weird I don't think its that difficult. It used to be but now just is what is. It's not any harder to be a +3 than a 5 in the sense you only know what you know. I'm not a great feel player, I sort of operate on self commands in way.

I don't know what to tell ya. I don't think he plays righty anymore, but sure in a few months he could.

Unfortunately there is always gonna be feel talk in golf. But as much as anyway I think R2L sticks to nitty gritty where I think you need to go to get better.

12 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Short chip, 10 yards. Pin is cut 2 yards past the fringe. You must land the ball in the fringe. Tight lie so flop won't work.

Ball off trail toe, deloft a 60, shaft forward. Using a no wrists motion, strike ball first and land it where it'll hop 1 time in the fringe, and then softly release to the hole.

I just noted a time when engaging the bounce would be bad and using the leading edge is the best method.

He'd probably take 65* wide open, off the toe, and cut the legs off it LOL. Basically the first shot I saw him hit. Same technique and motion just adjustments

If you didn't trust yourself with it thats one thing. Assume bogey and get out with what you know works. You've said you can't flop a tight lie, so don't. Situation dependent Id hit a stock 60 with bounce entrance into turf slightly before ball but not too far back and hope it goes in or roll ten feet out and move on. I'd consider cutting the legs out but leaving short and forcing another chip would be worrisome.

• Like 1

Qi10 9 Ventus Blk 6x

Qi10 5w Ventus Blk 8x

TM P-DHY 3i Ventus Black 10tx

P730 4-9 PX7.0

MG4 46 50 54 59

Oworks 7s - TP5x

1 hour ago, Righty to Lefty said:

I did not hit ball first...you can literally see the club brush the ground before the ball....you just don't want to see it. I said engage the turf, just like you do on a bunker shot, my AoA was -1 so the low point of my arc was still in front of the ball.   

He is me using the same technique on course: 

That is how the wedge is designed to be used. You are supposed to use the bounce...it makes the shots come off soft just like a bunker shot. You don't hit your greenside bunker shots ball first do you? Of course no...this is the exact same technique.  Go out and test and come back with your findings. 

Hmm, assuming you mean a greenside bunker shot you’ve confused me..again.  So on your use the bounce wedge shots you don’t hit the ball?  I certainly do not in a bunker shot.

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

14 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

Hmm, assuming you mean a greenside bunker shot you’ve confused me..again.  So on your use the bounce wedge shots you don’t hit the ball?  I certainly do not in a bunker shot.

quick sketch. if you are used to picking it ball first the ball will feel really far forward to you. Oh god i used the word feel lol. Really its just closer to low point. Good, now just get into the turf before, with bounce exposed.

IMG_2870.jpeg

Edited by cav5
  • Like 1

Qi10 9 Ventus Blk 6x

Qi10 5w Ventus Blk 8x

TM P-DHY 3i Ventus Black 10tx

P730 4-9 PX7.0

MG4 46 50 54 59

Oworks 7s - TP5x

1 hour ago, Simpsonia said:

Still feel vs real. If you didn't supply any sort of "pulling" force on your tsunami bar, it wouldn't follow you when you turned your upper body. You're just using different definitions/feels of "pulling".

The part that everyone is adamantly disagreeing with you is that you believe your feels are "The One True Feel to Rule Them All" and no other feels can be utilized.  Well that and insisting your feels are all real...

I am not talking about initiating the swing motion, I am talking about pulling from the top of the backswing. I created structure and support for the club but I am not pulling on it from the top of the backswing. The bottom hand is actually pressing upward like a waiter holding a tray and the bottom hand is pulling down and the handle end is being supported between the hands and countering the mass of the club head end. 

Do this..take the club to the top of your back swing and stop....then hold it for 3 seconds, then swing from there down and through impact at full speed.  If you pull from the top without giving the hips a chance to get out in front and lead you will come over the top and pull the shot.  You have to let the club fall and be passive in your upper body momentarily during that time to allow the hips to get out in front and lead. This has to happen or you will not create max leverage. This is also where the build of your clubs will come into play because if they are heavy enough you will quickly learn that pulling on the the club from the top of the backswing is inefficient.

Edited by Righty to Lefty

1 hour ago, getitdaily said:

Delofting the wedge in no way gives you an advantage hitting that shot over opening up your 60 degree as much as possible and using the bounce.  You delofting the club means that you are going to sacrifice speed and spin when you put it off your back foot and lean the shaft forward which means your shot will come off with much more ball speed and less spin than using the bounce will.  Also there are times that you are in jail and have to take your medicine and can only do so much with a given shot.  There is still no situation where it is beneficial for the wedge to dig on a partial wedge shot. If I couldn't hit a full flop shot then I would close the face until which point the leading edge would get below the equator of the ball and engage the turf behind the ball like normal understanding that the shot will come out flatter, but with a ton of spin still. My 65 degree would handle this shot pretty easily though, even though the landing area requires extra precision.  

2 minutes ago, Righty to Lefty said:

Delofting the wedge in no way gives you an advantage hitting that shot over opening up your 60 degree as much as possible and using the bounce.  You delofting the club means that you are going to sacrifice speed and spin when you put it off your back foot and lean the shaft forward which means your shot will come off with much more ball speed and less spin than using the bounce will.  

There you go again with the "everyone is a moron except me". Is your name Sheldon? 

• Haha 4

On 1/3/2024 at 8:00 PM, Brian Manzella said:

I thought I'd post this here on WRX first.

These folks sure ain't doing what I see on Social Media.

Hmmm....

Untitled-7.png

Just to touch on the original subject, this is really interesting and resonates with me. But dumb question: is the shoulder line not also rotated ~45* by this position (let's call it P1.5)? Wouldn't that it make sense that the face rotates by the same amount that the shoulder line is rotated, therefore the club is square to the arc? 

Or am I way off? 

For me, this is really topical because trying to consciously keep it square to the arc and using a flexion/extension based release (after seeing the Malaska + Cogorno video) put my game in the toilet the second half of last summer, and I was hopeless going into a golf trip to Sand Valley in October and played horribly the first few days. In desperation one night during the trip, I went back to an old Monte video about hitting a ball elevated on a pole (below), and shot my personal best of 1-over at Mammoth Dunes the next day. Using that feel, I proceeded to get my handicap down to a personal best of 3.5 over the next month (been hovering between 4-6 for a few years now).

I went away from it for some dumb reason the past few months and my game went into the toilet again, and just this week went back to it and am back to hitting it well. For me, the key feels were 1.) letting the forearms rotate, rather than consciously rotating, and 2.) proper left hand grip with enough leverage to hinge. Trying to consciously keep a static face square to the arc relationship is awful for me. 

Edited by geesecougar2
  • Like 1

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

2 minutes ago, geesecougar2 said:

Just to touch on the original subject, this is really interesting and resonates with me. But dumb question: is the shoulder line not also rotated ~45* by this position (let's call it P1.5)? Wouldn't that it make sense that the face rotates 45* by then if the shoulder line is, therefore the club is square to the arc? 

Or am I way off? 

For me, this is really topical because trying to consciously keep it square to the arc and using flexion to extension (after seeing the Malaska + Cogorno video) put my game in the toilet the second half of last summer, and I was hopeless going into a golf trip to Sand Valley in October and played horribly the first few days. In desperation one night during the trip, I went back to an old Monte video about hitting a ball elevated on a pole (below), and shot my personal best of 1-over at Mammoth Dunes the next day. Using that feel, I proceeded to get my handicap down to a personal best of 3.5 over the next month (been hovering between 4-6 for a few years now).

I went away from it for some dumb reason the past few months and my game went into the toilet again, and just this week went back to it and am back to hitting it well. For me, the key feels were 1.) letting the forearms rotate, rather than consciously rotating, and 2.) proper left hand grip with enough leverage to hinge. Trying to keep a static face square to the arc relationship is awful for me. 

That feel drill shows exactly what Brian says.  90* of face rotation.  

• Like 2

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

47 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

Of course I mean greenside bunker...that's why I said "You don't hit your greenside bunker shots ball first do you?" Come on Man!! I hit the ball but the effect is more like the club is sliding under the ball like on a bunker shot because I don't want high amounts of compression and ball speed like on a normal shot and that is why I say "engage the turf behind the ball" because it makes the club skid along the turf and being that the loft is pointing straight up in the air the strike is very glancing in nature. 

Hitting partial wedge shots with whiffle balls was huge for me because it eliminated the hit reflex and helped me get used to making a swing motion and not getting much feedback because there isn't any compression against the face even with a real ball.  The reason why many fear the shot is because they get to steep by getting their low point of their swing arc too far in front of the ball and if the ball is sitting up enough you can swing right under it, I can even do that in my living room ad the carpet is only bout half an inch thick.  That is why I set up with the club so far away from the ball and engage the ground at that spot and that is because it brings my low point to just in front of the ball precisely like @cav5's diagram is showing because it means that the club will be shallow yet it allows me to be very aggressive with my swing motion. That is why I said that you have to be able to reach to the other side of the ball because if not the club will be coming off the ground and you will skull it because your low point will be behind the ball. 

Hovland's low point is much more similar to the iron low point in the diagram and thus he has to flip at the shot to get the shaft to vertical and expose the bounce whereas I don't with my technique, though both will work. Hovland will not be able to hit his flop as aggressively as I can because of his low point being so far in front of the ball whereas I have to be aggressive because my low point is so close to the ball. But this is for a full out flop that hits my 9 foot ceiling from 6 feet away. Once you've hit the shot you quickly see that it is actually not even a show off shot and is pretty simple to execute.  

IMG_2870.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Righty to Lefty said:

The low point must be in the correct orientation to the ball to strike it with leverage (fixed variable) 

The club face must point at your given start line at impact (fixed variable)

The speed required to hit a shot a given distance is a specific speed (fixed variable)

The plane angle/ shoulder line is manipulated to hit draw, fade, or straight and you have control over this and decide what shot shape you want to play.  (Variable)

I am not sure what you feel is misguided.  

"Your swing did not create the bad impact...your position in relation to the ball created bad impact and thus you demonstrate that you don't know impact with as much depth as you claimed and that is why I am so adamant in these threads."

This. All of this. This notion that simply reverse-engineering the swing from impact will cause you to hit the ball well, reducing the variables involved in hitting the intended shot to plane angle/shoulder line, and spewing pseudo-philosophical nonsense like "your swing did not create the bad impact" is so superficial and unhelpful that it just has no place in a thread like this.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, cav5 said:

quick sketch. if you are used to picking it ball first the ball will feel really far forward to you. Oh god i used the word feel lol. Really its just closer to low point. Good, now just get into the turf before, with bounce exposed.

IMG_2870.jpeg

I get all that…you missed the point I guess.  When you and R2L say use the bounce and hit pitches like a bunker shot you the face doesn’t hit the ball?

Thats what was said that I replied to.  If you two want to “teach” you need to be precise.

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

7 hours ago, geesecougar2 said:

Just to touch on the original subject, this is really interesting and resonates with me. But dumb question: is the shoulder line not also rotated ~45* by this position (let's call it P1.5)? Wouldn't that it make sense that the face rotates by the same amount that the shoulder line is rotated, therefore the club is square to the arc? 

Or am I way off? 

For me, this is really topical because trying to consciously keep it square to the arc and using a flexion/extension based release (after seeing the Malaska + Cogorno video) put my game in the toilet the second half of last summer, and I was hopeless going into a golf trip to Sand Valley in October and played horribly the first few days. In desperation one night during the trip, I went back to an old Monte video about hitting a ball elevated on a pole (below), and shot my personal best of 1-over at Mammoth Dunes the next day. Using that feel, I proceeded to get my handicap down to a personal best of 3.5 over the next month (been hovering between 4-6 for a few years now).

I went away from it for some dumb reason the past few months and my game went into the toilet again, and just this week went back to it and am back to hitting it well. For me, the key feels were 1.) letting the forearms rotate, rather than consciously rotating, and 2.) proper left hand grip with enough leverage to hinge. Trying to consciously keep a static face square to the arc relationship is awful for me. 

It seems like Big Daddy Manzella has abandoned the thread, leaving us with Big Bro Monte.

That video of Monte's Helicopter Swing should received a GolfWRX best award.

The topic of this thread is a big Mental Snag haunting developing golfers.  We sure don't want snag in our golf swing, neither mental nor physical.  Understanding about what you do that causes the clubface rotation is very important then unless you already pocess a correct motion most likely from a good teacher.

Actions such as clubface rotation or unhinging of the wrists are reactive actions to a direct action performed by the golfer elsewhere.  These actions follows physical mechanical laws like an apple falling onto the ground when released.  This is not so complicated that requires a "theorist" to explain.

After we are done with @Righty to Lefty's cremation, let's discuss.

• Like 1

Geez....

What a thread.

I put up a graphic with 4 FAMOUS GOLFERS eerily doing the exact same thing through the ball with the clubface, something that is definitely NOT what is popular on social media, and you get THIS thread. Yikes!

I'll be happy to go on the air live with anyone to discuss any of this.

In the meantime, here is a video on some of what what talked about somewhere in the thread (among other places):

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13th ranked Teacher in America on Golf Digest's Top 50 List  (6th consecutive time in the Top 50). 7-time and current Golf Magazine Top 100 Teacher in America.

24 minutes ago, Brian Manzella said:

Geez....

What a thread.

I put up a graphic with 4 FAMOUS GOLFERS eerily doing the exact same thing through the ball with the clubface, something that is definitely NOT what is popular on social media, and you get THIS thread. Yikes!

In the meantime, here is a video on some of what what talked about somewhere in the thread (among other places):

Okay I watched the video and it seems like you are talking about static alpha force dropping the club down at impact being overcome by the pulling up move?  If so then it seems to me that the club is moving and hopefully fast so there is momentum effecting the dropping force and centripetal force has to be applied to keep the clubhead moving in an arc which would seem to account for the pulling up move.  So I am wondering if the static forces are mitigated by those dynamic forces?  I would say that the clubhead moving at speed would not have any tendency to drop down but would have a tendency to try to fly out away from the center of rotation...  LOL or possibly I completely misunderstood?  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Brian Manzella said:

Geez....

What a thread.

good video. I took lessons from Kevin weeks back in like 2015 and he use to tell me how good friends you and him were. You and him still pretty close? Pretty sure he was teaching me stuff he learned based on your friendship. 

Nels,

I wasn't talking about anything static. Everything we compute is during the swing  with everything included.

The club is trying to move in a straight line and the golfer is trying to curve it. That would be done with GAMMA FORCE, the force along the shaft.

I was isolating the BETA PLANE of motion for this video, because of what the Tour Player asked me and the "how the club and arms drop from the top" comments on this thread.

13th ranked Teacher in America on Golf Digest's Top 50 List  (6th consecutive time in the Top 50). 7-time and current Golf Magazine Top 100 Teacher in America.

1 minute ago, MK7Golf21 said:

You and him still pretty close? Pretty sure he was teaching me stuff he learned based on your friendship. 

Kevin and I are great friends.

Talk to him all the time. GREAT dude.

He is also close with Michael Jacobs and is a Jacobs 3D ambassador and the current National PGA Teacher of the Year.

Edited by Brian Manzella
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hidraw said:

The topic of this thread is a big Mental Snag haunting developing golfers.  We sure don't want snag in our golf swing, neither mental nor physical. 

Ok here's some absolutely useless information, but at least it's 100% factually accurate: "snag" is the common colloquial term for sausage in Australia.

We definitely don't want any sausage in our golf swing, either physical or mental sausage. Less sausage, more cowbell.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Righty to Lefty said:

I did not hit ball first...you can literally see the club brush the ground before the ball....you just don't want to see it. I said engage the turf, just like you do on a bunker shot, my AoA was -1 so the low point of my arc was still in front of the ball.   

He is me using the same technique on course: 

That is how the wedge is designed to be used. You are supposed to use the bounce...it makes the shots come off soft just like a bunker shot. You don't hit your greenside bunker shots ball first do you? Of course no...this is the exact same technique.  Go out and test and come back with your findings. 

I don't know why I'm doing this...but you really think you don't hit the ball first in the 2nd video on the course?

😐😐

Edited by JayMas

1 hour ago, Brian Manzella said:

The thread was hijacked and there's very little content related to the op and otherwise no substance. Sorry about that.

Though I think there are a few of us that were a little confused about the original post as it was quite vague. Can you elaborate on what it is that social media says that this graphic is countering?

Edited by KD1

1 hour ago, GolfTurkey said:

Ok here's some absolutely useless information, but at least it's 100% factually accurate: "snag" is the common colloquial term for sausage in Australia.

We definitely don't want any sausage in our golf swing, either physical or mental sausage. Less sausage, more cowbell.

You people down under do develop a new subbranch for English.

What is a synonym for snag?

snag (noun as in complication in situation) Strongest matches. barrier bug crunch difficulty disadvantage drawback glitch hitch holdup hurdle impediment inconvenience obstacle stumbling block.

Let's hear from the professionals first.  For me it is a hobby, for them it is a livelihood.

BTW, for developing golfers, alpha torque is wrist hinging/unhinging; beta torque is lead hand pronation/supination; gamma torque is motorcycle-handle twist.

Edited by Hidraw