PXG 0311 Black Ops driver

lefthack

It’s driver testing week for me. This Black Ops head is legit. Sizeable ball speed jump vs my gamer. Massive upgrade in sound and feel. Liked the feel instantly and that did not happen with prior PXG releases that felt fine, but not super. I am not an authority on PXG drivers but this is the best one I’ve ever hit — it beat my Paradym Triple D on longest drives and longest averages. The new face delivers a very satisfying smack and the ball gets out there. Compared them back to back and the Black Ops’ ball speed was consistently 4 mph faster. 

Hit the Tour and the standard. The standard is my fit. The head looks like a blend of a Callaway and Ping shape. Very classy finish and confidence inspiring from address. But the main things I noticed were consistent distance, no low-spin knucklers and the face feels powerful, no hollow sound at all. It’s an A-list contender well worth a test drive for those looking at drivers this year. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

59 minutes ago, snagy2000 said:

PIG Review of Tour-1 gives good details on spin comparisons, sound and forgiveness. 

PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 Driver Review - Plugged In Golf

That one may work for me, the regular Black Ops certainly didn't. My new Double Black G6 XP's are supposed to be delivered to the store tomorrow afternoon. Going to call the store today to see of the Tour model is in yet. Will definitely have to demo this while I'm there.

My Gen 4 Driver has been the "one" since it came out. Out of curiosity I did a Driver fitting at Impact Precision last week. Hit multiple head/shaft combinations and still nothing beat the G4/Autoflex combo. The only two that came close were the TSR3 and Callaway Smoke triple diamond heads, both with a TPT shaft. 

• Like 1

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG One and Done w/Super Stroke 5.0
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

9 minutes ago, SEP1006 said:

That one may work for me, the regular Black Ops certainly didn't. My new Double Black G6 XP's are supposed to be delivered to the store tomorrow afternoon. Going to call the store today to see of the Tour model is in yet. Will definitely have to demo this while I'm there.

My Gen 4 Driver has been the "one" since it came out. Out of curiosity I did a Driver fitting at Impact Precision last week. Hit multiple head/shaft combinations and still nothing beat the G4/Autoflex combo. The only two that came close were the TSR3 and Callaway Smoke triple diamond heads, both with a TPT shaft. 

They didn't have it yesterday, good luck!

10 hours ago, snagy2000 said:

They didn't have it yesterday, good luck!

Came in this afternoon right after lunch. 

• Like 1

Rated PXG BL Driver best in Sound/Feel

Performance not the best.....swing speed about same as the Mizuno ST-Max at 117.5 but ball speed for PXG was 169.4 vs Miz at 171.8.

The PXG had the lowest ball speed of all tested except the Qi10 Max which has a shorter shaftand thus slower swing speed.

Of course, ball speed will be dependent upon face impact location.

image.png.a9664c219dadd24790ae75dc35b0abdc.png

Edited by BirdieBob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

2 hours ago, BirdieBob said:

Performance not the best.....swing speed about same as the Mizuno ST-Max at 117.5 but ball speed for PXG was 169.4 vs Miz at 171.8.

The PXG had the lowest ball speed of all tested except the Qi10 Max which has a shorter shaftand thus slower swing speed.

Was this for the tour version or the standard 311 black ops?

Driver: Cobra LTDX 9 degree; HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black

Fairway Wood: Taylormade M6 15 degree

Titleist u510 2 iron

Srixon ZX5 4-PW; ACCRA iSteel 115

Wedges Vokey SM9 58/54/48

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 2 

Just now, ANimz said:

Was this for the tour version or the standard 311 black ops?

PXG 0311 Black Ops standard driver

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

I wonder at your swing speed if the numbers would be better for the tour head, and if slower speeds would be better for the standard version.  I had seen reviews for the other MAX drivers where the higher swing speed didn't suit max heads.  

Driver: Cobra LTDX 9 degree; HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black

Fairway Wood: Taylormade M6 15 degree

Titleist u510 2 iron

Srixon ZX5 4-PW; ACCRA iSteel 115

Wedges Vokey SM9 58/54/48

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 2 

4 hours ago, BirdieBob said:

This is why getting fit is so important. Randomly testing drivers with various shafts and at various lengths put you in the "spy" category of ridiculousness when it comes to the "best" or "most wanted".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, snagy2000 said:

This is why getting fit is so important. Randomly testing drivers with various shafts and at various lengths put you in the "spy" category of ridiculousness when it comes to the "best" or "most wanted".

Yes, if one can get fit for a head shaft combo to optimize ball speed, launch, and spin then that is preferrable.

What I mentioned in this testing that i find interesting is the comparison of club speed to ball speed for each head regardless of shaft is very telling.  As mentioned strike location on the faces was not provided and that is important in assessing that comparison as to its value.

1 hour ago, BirdieBob said:

Yes, if one can get fit for a head shaft combo to optimize ball speed, launch, and spin then that is preferrable.

What I mentioned in this testing that i find interesting is the comparison of club speed to ball speed for each head regardless of shaft is very telling.  As mentioned strike location on the faces was not provided and that is important in assessing that comparison as to its value.

Yes, it would be great to see how well the shots were hit. I ignore the MGS testing for the same reason. The CB that won Most Wanted last year finished 9th this year. The club didn’t get worse, it was merely a new group of hackers testing it. 

Drivers are so close in performance, I think setup and optimization is everything. Black Ops is definitely not slower. I not only saw it myself against my gamer, it also surpassed the Cobra driver a guy in the next booth had. Around here, I’m actually hearing the opposite of those Golf Monthly results — guys are gaining ball speed with the standard Black Ops because you can play less loft and it still launches. PXG says it is the face material. Whatever it is, that’s what I experienced. I can’t play a Paradym Triple D at 9 degrees (mine is 10.5) without risking knucklers but the Black Ops at 9 was launching very well and perfect spin. A better spin profile in consistency. Going down in loft and dialing in the adjustments on the standard was key. 

For me to hit 150-152 mph in ball speed these days is a benchmark and I can do that with the Black Ops, but I topped at high 140s with the Callaway. Granted, it’s the middle of winter and I have probably hit balls a total of 5 times in months, and hardly any with drivers, so 102 mph club speed  is 3-4 miles low for me, but I was impressed with the Black Ops speed. My best numbers came with the Tensei AV Raw Blue 60S. 

• Like 3

https://www.todays-golfer.com/equipment/golf-clubs/drivers/pxg/pxg-0311-black-ops-driver/

When you see "PXG In House testing"..it means ROBO tests...

data shows the Black Ops is better in (front-back) * (left -right) sq yds than prior gen6.

SmartSelect_20240201_173054_Edge.jpg.6abe45e50b1e4e48057508b73a3b2704.jpg

Edited by BirdieBob

Given the spin and launch, I feel like the T-1 + Riptide might actually be a good combination. Although, I kind of want to try a Denali Black. The Riptide can produce some really high flying drives to the degree I almost doubt the Tour-1 would necessarily do all that much to tame it; short of adjusting it down to 6.5°. I also haven't liked any of the other L/L shafts I've tried.

Still, at $650 it pretty much means I buy it with the shaft I want to try and keep the Riptide for regular use until I either find I like the new shaft or want to stick with the Riptide.

I mean, it's gonna be hard to unseat.... I've got it in all three of the "Cannons" in my bag.

Current Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven (Still Acclimating)

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Soon to be Retired)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

28 minutes ago, Mikey_HACKilroy said:

Given the spin and launch, I feel like the T-1 + Riptide might actually be a good combination. Although, I kind of want to try a Denali Black. The Riptide can produce some really high flying drives to the degree I almost doubt the Tour-1 would necessarily do all that much to tame it; short of adjusting it down to 6.5°. I also haven't liked any of the other L/L shafts I've tried.

Still, at $650 it pretty much means I buy it with the shaft I want to try and keep the Riptide for regular use until I either find I like the new shaft or want to stick with the Riptide.

I mean, it's gonna be hard to unseat.... I've got it in all three of the "Cannons" in my bag.

Have you ever tried the HZRDUS Black Gen 4 shaft? (Don’t know if they offer it.) Might be one that fits between the two you mention. The Gen 4 is the one where they really improved the feel. It is smoother than earlier ones? 

9 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Have you ever tried the HZRDUS Black Gen 4 shaft? (Don’t know if they offer it.) Might be one that fits between the two you mention. The Gen 4 is the one where they really improved the feel. It is smoother than earlier ones? 

Admittedly, I only tried it on a hybrid and wood, but it just didn't provide the right feel. Of course, that was a while ago.

It probably is worth trying again.

Current Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven (Still Acclimating)

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Soon to be Retired)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

On 2/1/2024 at 11:21 AM, BirdieBob said:

Here’s my opinion about this and I’m basing it off my swing. So obviously other peoples opinion will vary. I tested most of this years new drivers and purchased the black ops. The smoke max and cobra were faster and a little longer but not near as forgiving. Their dispersion was way worse and distance was maybe 3 yards longer on average. The 10k spun a tad more and distance was a little less but dispersion was as good as the black ops. Maybe the black ops doesn’t win out right in every category or maybe even one category but it’s the complete package. Spin is great, forgiveness is off the charts, and it’s distance will compete with any of them. As stated above, of course being fit is the best option. Obviously the weights change ball flight (better than any other drivers system in my opinion), but they also affect strike location. I have 3 shafts and have to change weights and position on the sleeve depending on which shaft is in it. I think I’m settled on the tensei white 1k.  I was between the black ops and the 10k and very happy with my choice. If you’re sleeping on the black ops because of preconceived notions based off of previous models, you’re missing out. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Aucaveman said:

Here’s my opinion about this and I’m basing it off my swing. So obviously other peoples opinion will vary. I tested most of this years new drivers and purchased the black ops. The smoke max and cobra were faster and a little longer but not near as forgiving. Their dispersion was way worse and distance was maybe 3 yards longer on average. The 10k spun a tad more and distance was a little less but dispersion was as good as the black ops. Maybe the black ops doesn’t win out right in every category or maybe even one category but it’s the complete package. Spin is great, forgiveness is off the charts, and it’s distance will compete with any of them. As stated above, of course being fit is the best option. Obviously the weights change ball flight (better than any other drivers system in my opinion), but they also affect strike location. I have 3 shafts and have to change weights and position on the sleeve depending on which shaft is in it. I think I’m settled on the tensei white 1k.  I was between the black ops and the 10k and very happy with my choice. If you’re sleeping on the black ops because of preconceived notions based off of previous models, you’re missing out. 

Good choice basis the feel/sound as discussed in this video (PXG BO, 3rd place)....but in the end this reviewer decided on the G430 Max 10k (1st place).  He discusses forgiveness also, but dismisses the PXG BO.

Edited by BirdieBob

2 hours ago, Aucaveman said:

100% my observation as well. I may be able to squeak out an extra 3-5 yards elsewhere but this thing is point and swing. My good drives are consistently longer than my gen6 and unless I miss big there is less curve as well. High straight bombs that I can work if needed (I have 10.5 lofted down to 9 standard head). It’s just so reliable after 2-3 rounds I’m sold and never looking back. Very good step up for PXG. 

I also started hitting the 3 wood more and while it’s not quite as big of a step up from Gen6 like the driver, it’s also very good. 

Edited by LoopySwing13
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, LoopySwing13 said:

100% my observation as well. I may be able to squeak out an extra 3-5 yards elsewhere but this thing is point and swing. My good drives are consistently longer than my gen6 and unless I miss big there is less curve as well. High straight bombs that I can work if needed (I have 10.5 lofted down to 9 standard head). It’s just so reliable after 2-3 rounds I’m sold and never looking back. Very good step up for PXG. 

I also started hitting the 3 wood more and while it’s not quite as big of a step up from Gen6 like the driver, it’s also very good. 

i could have put this in my previous post almost word for word. I’m amazed at how neutral the black ops is. It just wants to go straight. On swings I feel like I hooked, it’s a 10 yard draw. On swings that feel sliced, it’s a 10 yard cut. It’s very point and shoot. It’s just so easy to hit. So where I ended up at, was 9* head on Pxg (3 flat), 5 in toe, 2.5 in heel, 12.5 in rear. Again with the tensei white. I also have a brava shaft that I play and with it I play the small minus, 12.5 in toe, 5 in heel and 2.5 in rear. For me it’s an incredible driver. And to add, my club carries callaway and I only saved $30 buying the Pxg. I coulda got the smoke for $480. 

• Like 1

I received my BlackOps driver this past weekend and I’ve taken it out for a couple of nine hole rounds. So far I am impressed. Sound and feel are excellent. It’s sort of a soft, muted thud off the face. Conditions here have been fairly wet and windy so I couldn’t really gauge overall distance, but carry seems to be in line with the Gen 6 I’ve been playing for the last year. I haven’t experimented with different shafts or weight configurations yet, but I will soon. 

• Like 1

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

On 1/31/2024 at 6:53 AM, snagy2000 said:

PIG Review of Tour-1 gives good details on spin comparisons, sound and forgiveness. 

PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 Driver Review - Plugged In Golf

Well went to the store this weekend to pick up my G6 XP Double Black.

While I was there did a fitting with the BO Tour Model. Per my earlier post the regular BO's was a definite no go for me.

Anyway the Tour model was so much better. May have been me but it even felt better off the face than the regular model. So the fitting went well. Hit all the same shafts I hit before. The best results were of course with my Autoflex shaft. While it wasn't drastically better than my G4 I did hit my longest drive with it, even with a spin rate of 1810. Which is low for me, I average around 2300 with the G4/AF combo. My average with the BO Tour/AF combo was 1764, kinda low for sure.

Didn't order it but may end up trying to pick a head up on the BST at some point.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SEP1006 said:

Well went to the store this weekend to pick up my G6 XP Double Black.

While I was there did a fitting with the BO Tour Model. Per my earlier post the regular BO's was a definite no go for me.

Anyway the Tour model was so much better. May have been me but it even felt better off the face than the regular model. So the fitting went well. Hit all the same shafts I hit before. The best results were of course with my Autoflex shaft. While it wasn't drastically better than my G4 I did hit my longest drive with it, even with a spin rate of 1810. Which is low for me, I average around 2300 with the G4/AF combo. My average with the BO Tour/AF combo was 1764, kinda low for sure.

Didn't order it but may end up trying to pick a head up on the BST at some point.

Better have some nice ball speed to play with 1800 spin. That would concern me. 

i could tell no difference at all in the feel off the face between the two heads. Seemed like a smaller version of the same driver.

I’ve hit the Black Ops standard a couple of times now. It is performing as well as anything I’ve tested. The main thing for me is at a 105 swing speed I am seeing 2300-2400 spin with the standard model and reaching 152 ball speed. Kind of perfect. The fitter told me I could go to a higher lofted head to play the Tour or go 9 degree in the standard, which was my best fit and I liked it better anyway. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Better have some nice ball speed to play with 1800 spin. That would concern me. 

i could tell no difference at all in the feel off the face between the two heads. Seemed like a smaller version of the same driver.

I’ve hit the Black Ops standard a couple of times now. It is performing as well as anything I’ve tested. The main thing for me is at a 105 swing speed I am seeing 2300-2400 spin with the standard model and reaching 152 ball speed. Kind of perfect. The fitter told me I could go to a higher lofted head to play the Tour or go 9 degree in the standard, which was my best fit and I liked it better anyway. 

Hah, ball speed isn't an option for me anymore. While I'm in great physical shape I'm still fixing to turn 67 in a couple of weeks.

My Driver SS is right at 88 - 90, ball speed was averaging 128 - 131. I was hitting the 9* with 2 x 5g in the front and a 7g in the back.

1 hour ago, SEP1006 said:

Hah, ball speed isn't an option for me anymore. While I'm in great physical shape I'm still fixing to turn 67 in a couple of weeks.

My Driver SS is right at 88 - 90, ball speed was averaging 128 - 131. I was hitting the 9* with 2 x 5g in the front and a 7g in the back.

That’s pretty good speed I’d say. And I’m no fitter but it seems like you might get more optimized in the 10.5 degree, especially in the Tour head. It was considerably lower in spin when I tried it.

I mainly prefer the standard because it looks like the baby of Callaway and Ping parents, and it fits my policy of generally choosing the most forgiving driver — in terms of left to right dispersion, distance is usually similar anyway — that I like the look of. 

6 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

And I’m no fitter but it seems like you might get more optimized in the 10.5 degree, especially in the Tour head. It was considerably lower in spin when I tried it.

Yeh the fitter and I discussed that as well. But the only one they had there was the 9* at the time. My fitting wasn't scheduled as I just went there to pick up my Double Black 0311 XP's. The bay was empty so it was a last minute thing.

• Like 2

I just put Black Ops in the bag coming from Paradym.  I swore by my previous Para but could not believe how high it was spinning.  3500-3800 average spin.   PXG rep changed weights out all over the place for me and now my spin is significantly down from where I was on average to 1981 -2000 which is almost unheard of for me.  I seriously cannot wait to take this out when our fairways here are dry and watch it take off.  Sound and feel for me are fantastic.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Like 3

Yeah, Equipment Junkie on Youtube, that kid can stripe a shovel if you put in his hands.  He’s very good.   The only hiccup I have with all of these YouTubers out there when they ever test ANY PXG product, were they properly fit by a PXG rep for the club in hand that are in the videos?   That I cannot answer here.   If a PXG rep was there, in the video with him, changing out weights, perhaps shafts, how much of a difference would it have made?  I honestly dont know the answer to that.   PXG there is so much more that goes into just hitting their products and making sure all the weights are adjusted properly for your swing.  I can attest to.   Again, that guy can rip it.   I will say I was absolutely striping and I mean STRIPING my drives today on course.  Very consistent and far and the fairways were soaking wet and it was chilly. So far Black Ops for me is a hands down winner.

Edited by mtnbiker5
  • Like 4