2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

PXG 0311 Black Ops driver

lefthack

I had the same thing happen. I swing between 106-111. Collapsed on me after about 60 days of use. They approved the warranty replacement, but I had them switch it to the non tour version, as that's what it seems the "tour" players are using. Overall pleasant experience considering.

Edited by avidgolfer90

After messing around with weight settings, I ended up going back to what I was using on the gen 5 driver.

It's a different sound than the Gen 5, but I don't think it's bad. It's pretty sharp. It doesn't sound good when I hit well off center, but I'm probably the only golfer here that his it that far off from time to time. 🤣

Kidding aside, I'm really liking it. Though, I have not tried it on a real golf ball as of yet. Lol

Oh, and aside from mild mishits,  it is not forgiving. Hit too far off and it's going to come out flat. Solid strikes are rewarded nicely. Low strikes are more easily forgiven on a shallower head. Those are gonna be worn burners on the T-1.

Yeah, embarrassingly hit a few... only a few.... LOL.... 😆

Also, I really hated the Tensei... just hated it. I need to try it with the Riptide next time, but the Gen 4 Hz.B is absolutely solid. The weight does soft step it some, but even with standard weight the HB is smooth.

P.S. I'm blaming the Tensei for the worm burners.

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven (Still Acclimating)

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

On 4/6/2024 at 8:29 AM, MagicMan79 said:

Well that was fun, for about 50 balls. It was the fastest I’ve tested this year and fit my spin window

Right until it started caving in

Black Ops Tour 9°. Swing speed low 120’s. Whenever a head is a few MPH faster than the rest, I am worried 🤣

If its fast, it don’t last. Will see how they are with warranty claim, but obviously I won’t be playing this head or BO moving forward

I must say, this is probably one of the reasons we don’t see Jake Knapp in this head. This thing is 5+MPH faster than a G425 head, I have one here 

This is the reason why I always demo multiple of the same heads (if I can).... i always try to find the hot heads LOL

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

Soooooo

I am tempted, I should just schedule a fitting.

I own both versions of the Gen 5 

I honestly really like the XF LOL... its so easy to hit literally can make any swing on it and its going to be ok... but its really slow. its at least 5MPH ballspeed slower than the non XF and launches way higher. Whats weird is the XF is actually anti left which I love. I think the shallow head, plus flat lie and a bit more spin really helps with slight toe hit.

anyone have experience with the black ops compared to an XF gen 5 or even gen 6. I basically want everything the XF does but lower launch and more ballspeed. the Black Ops in 8* sounds like the ticket...

Though I have the non XF in the bag now... i do like hitting bombs, but the XF is probably better for my score

Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

3 hours ago, vietnameeh said:

Soooooo

I am tempted, I should just schedule a fitting.

I own both versions of the Gen 5 

I honestly really like the XF LOL... its so easy to hit literally can make any swing on it and its going to be ok... but its really slow. its at least 5MPH ballspeed slower than the non XF and launches way higher. Whats weird is the XF is actually anti left which I love. I think the shallow head, plus flat lie and a bit more spin really helps with slight toe hit.

anyone have experience with the black ops compared to an XF gen 5 or even gen 6. I basically want everything the XF does but lower launch and more ballspeed. the Black Ops in 8* sounds like the ticket...

Though I have the non XF in the bag now... i do like hitting bombs, but the XF is probably better for my score

I’ve played the proto, gen4x, and the gen5 non XF. I upgraded to the standard black ops from the gen5. For me, the black ops is every previous driver but in a single package. It’s my opinion, but it’s the best driver I tested this year. The ping 10k was close but I like the Pxg better. At my fitting, my numbers were ss 106-108, launch was 10-11 degrees, and spin was 2400-2600. I gained about 15 yards over the gen5 primarily due to spin reduction. On average it was 400-500 less. It’s as forgiving, spins less, and is longer. I actually went back and purchased the 4 wood and 5 hybrid. I really can’t say enough good things about the black ops line. I just wished they would’ve had the tour heads when I was fit but I can’t complain about the way I’m hitting the standard version. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, snagy2000 said:

It all depends on what works for your swing... I have the black in my 10.5* and its a great performer...

I've been using the Ventus Black in my Gen 5 but just got a Black ops tour 1 10.5 with the Tensei in it. Haven't hit it yet but was just wondering what people thought. I do like the Ventus Black though. 

Thanks for the reply.

You're gonna have to hit it and decide. I hated the Tensei the first time I tried it,  and hated it again when I bought it to try with the T-1.

Yet,  that doesn't mean you will hate it. It's a quality offering. I just found out to be too "raw" feeling. It fit the name.

I like smooth.... the AV Raw White was not smooth to me.

It's like Uni... apparently,  people like that stuff. Yet it tastes to me like the ocean sneezed in my mouth. 🤣

• Haha 1

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

23 minutes ago, Masterhacker said:

I've not hit a gen 6 but I love the gen 5.  Is there enough of a difference in them to make the switch?  

Personally, I wouldn't upgrade from Gen5 to Gen6 I would skip to Black Ops. Black Ops is Gen5 with better distance and better forgiveness. Gen6 is going to give you better forgiveness and slightly better distance. 

On 4/12/2024 at 1:07 PM, bkiser0517 said:

I've been using the Ventus Black in my Gen 5 but just got a Black ops tour 1 10.5 with the Tensei in it. Haven't hit it yet but was just wondering what people thought. I do like the Ventus Black though. 

Thanks for the reply.

I went from a Ventus blue and was put into Tensei AV Raw White.....For me, the Tensei is a dispersion killer...I thought the VB was really good but the Tensei for me is better and it's not even close.  I was definitely surprised because typically the really stout profiles don't work well for me but it's good.  Does it have the same smooth feel of the Ventus? No.  But it's not bad feeling....a touch more snappy than smooth.

• Like 1

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

I am so spoiled by all the price drops that PXG did in the past... probably the only reason I am even using the Gen 5 now 

the Black Ops just seem so pricey now LOL

• Like 1

Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

1 hour ago, vietnameeh said:

I am so spoiled by all the price drops that PXG did in the past... probably the only reason I am even using the Gen 5 now 

the Black Ops just seem so pricey now LOL

Honestly, pretty good chance the BO will be my next driver but I’m going to wait until the price drops.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Honestly, once you dial in the T-1 it's awesome! Never hit anything like it so far.

It's getting better by the day. I feel like my distance is back. The weight balance feels better than the standard. I also have found I can hit it way better with the weight I'm used to. No need to change. Best sledge hammer ever.

It is officially "The Gamer!"

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, bkiser0517 said:

Can you put a pxg fairway shaft into a pxg driver? I was looking into the black ops 3 wood, mini drivers and shaft length and I think that is one of my many problems why I struggle to hit driver so much. Im looking into a smaller shaft to possibly put on my black ops driver. 

Yes. Fairway wood shafts and driver shafts are one in the same. Though, preparation will many times differ. For example, a shaft used in a 3-Wood is commonly tip trimmed to accommodate the heavier head whilst maintaining the flex of the profile. FW shafts used for drivers usually do not undergo this step, but that doesn't mean folks don't do it. It's just not usually considered necessary.

The playing length will be different, though, because of the difference in the bottom bore to ground measurement (BBGM) of the club.

If you're used to the "standard" length (45.5" average depending on the manufacturer), I'd recommend shortening in steps for a full sized Black Ops driver rather than trying something that's approximately 2" shorter right off the bat.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mikey_HACKilroy said:

Yes. Fairway wood shafts and driver shafts are one in the same. Though, preparation will many times differ. For example, a shaft used in a 3-Wood is commonly tip trimmed to accommodate the heavier head whilst maintaining the flex of the profile. FW shafts used for drivers usually do not undergo this step, but that doesn't mean folks don't do it. It's just not usually considered necessary.

The playing length will be different, though, because of the difference in the bottom bore to ground measurement (BBGM) of the club.

If you're used to the "standard" length (45.5" average depending on the manufacturer), I'd recommend shortening in steps for a full sized Black Ops driver rather than trying something that's approximately 2" shorter right off the bat.

Thank you!

• Like 1

Going to wine for a minute. Wife would not be too sympathetic and I thought fellow club hoe's would understand my disappointment better.  I In anticipation of the new line of Titleist woods coming out shortly, I sold my TSR2 driver while I still could get a decent return for it.  I did take the Black Ops challenge and was impressed enough to purchase one with the First Responder discount.  My intention was to put my Ventus shaft that was in my TSR2 into it for now and use later with the new Titleist.  Much to my dismay I would have to trim 3/4 of an inch off of the butt to get it to my standard playing length of 45.5.  This would mean unless Titleist made a depth change in the heads of their new series it would play at 44.75 when switched back!  The Ops is performing as well as it was when I demoed it but I really thought the Ventus would give me another gear.  The way I go through clubs I can't cut it. Oh well.

Man, at some point we gotta pick and stick, right? 😄 

I think I can finally say I'm 95% there.... I suppose I will always be 95% there... LOL

• Like 1

On 4/23/2024 at 8:09 PM, Kevmonton said:

Going to wine for a minute. Wife would not be too sympathetic and I thought fellow club hoe's would understand my disappointment better.  I In anticipation of the new line of Titleist woods coming out shortly, I sold my TSR2 driver while I still could get a decent return for it.  I did take the Black Ops challenge and was impressed enough to purchase one with the First Responder discount.  My intention was to put my Ventus shaft that was in my TSR2 into it for now and use later with the new Titleist.  Much to my dismay I would have to trim 3/4 of an inch off of the butt to get it to my standard playing length of 45.5.  This would mean unless Titleist made a depth change in the heads of their new series it would play at 44.75 when switched back!  The Ops is performing as well as it was when I demoed it but I really thought the Ventus would give me another gear.  The way I go through clubs I can't cut it. Oh well.

Alternatively you could install an All-Fit adapter on your Ventus. With the All-Fit collars the BBGM difference between the TSR and Black Ops is only 1/16".

• Like 1

Tomorrow at noon since it's the last day of the challenge. 🤣 

I'm pretty sure I was hitting it further than my current club, but I didn't do head to head. 

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Honestly, I certainly hope in the next week I can certify myself as "over the yips" with the irons, because I can't wait to hit Red Bridge down in Locust, NC with the new Sledgehammer. 😄 

I cut it back down to standard and only have 5g up front and 15g in the back. My wrists are already thanking me. 😄 

Ha, the online booking had today, the website said until today, but it was actually until April 30. 🤣 

As y'all know I hit it at the pre release, but it would have been fun to do a head to head. I still might buy one if they do scale plus hero price.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

FWIW I don't regret buying the Tour-1.... but ultimately it'll have to stay in my bag for a long while.... unchanged... 😄 

Besides, I can't justify spending more money on the driver.... I need two wedges to complete my bag. 😄 

• Like 1

On 4/30/2024 at 1:41 PM, Golf Pig said:

Alternatively you could install an All-Fit adapter on your Ventus. With the All-Fit collars the BBGM difference between the TSR and Black Ops is only 1/16".

Is there a spot where the BBGM differences with All-Fit are listed? That would be really good info to have.

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

1 hour ago, eric61 said:

Is there a spot where the BBGM differences with All-Fit are listed? That would be really good info to have.

I'll remeasure later this evening, but I am fairly certain I recall measuring it at 1.25" for the BBGM for the T-1.