2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

PXG 0311 Black Ops driver

lefthack

2 minutes ago, roundersmitty said:

Will the high toe miss be as good or better with the BO? Last round I hit 2 that were 3/8”-1/2” high center and high toe (brutal and possibly even -AOA) And these launched higher and spun the perfect amount to get mind blowing results from such a poor strike.  

Best way is to compare the two on the range by testing.  You have 30 days to try the PXG club and then return with a restocking fee however.

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 9* and 10.5*,  Ventus Blue+ 5x / Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

10 minutes ago, BirdieBob said:

Best way is to compare the two on the range by testing.  You have 30 days to try the PXG club and then return with a restocking fee however.

The driver bnib is 33% off retail on marketplace….so I couldn’t return it. Really on the fence about the purchase.  Over the years bought and sold lots of PXG drivers and have a collection of weights to put in any new purchases…a bit of a plus. 

1 minute ago, roundersmitty said:

The driver bnib is 33% off retail on marketplace….so I couldn’t return it. Really on the fence about the purchase.  Over the years bought and sold lots of PXG drivers and have a collection of weights to put in any new purchases…a bit of a plus. 

Get the Black Ops Driver and compare it with your Gen6 on the range over a period of 30 days.  Return the BO Driver if not satisfied.

Really the only way to know if you will like it better due to better dispersion with the BO.

• Like 1

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 9* and 10.5*,  Ventus Blue+ 5x / Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

18 minutes ago, roundersmitty said:

Well…I’m a WRXer…even if I shot the course record I would be thinking of a possible equipment change that could be better 

Then skip the feigned indecision and buy. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven (Still Acclimating)

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

22 hours ago, roundersmitty said:

played my second round with the Gen6 std.  getting the most consistent, longest and most accurate drives as I can remember.  I choke down 1” and use 2 7.5g weights on front and 10g in the back.

Interesting with the weights. When I was fit for my Gen 6, it came with 7.5g weights in the heel and back, and a 2.5g weight in the toe for a draw bias. Recently, having a full weight kit to experiment with, I went with the 7.5g weights in the toe and heel and a 5g weight in the back. To perhaps gain even a little more distance by increasing swing speed, I have considered going a little lighter, with 5g weights in the toe and heel, and a 7.5g weight in the heel, or stay with the same overall weight using a 10g weight in the back. Your thoughts?

This PXG Gen 6 is the most consistent driver I have ever owned. The shaft is the Motore X, 1/2" shorter than standard, and I am always amazed after hitting my drive how consistently in the center of the club face I am striking the ball. I can't imagine a Black Ops being that much better.

My buddy, who claims he got 15 more yards than his Gen 5 driver during his Black Ops challenge (though dispersion was way worse for him), said his driver is "on its way". I will get a first-hand look at any distance gains he sees on the course as soon as he gets it, and I'll report back.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fresh Greens said:

Anyone know what weight settings you need in the normal BO to make it 10k moi?

I believe the stock 2.5 on the toe and heel and the 15 gram replacing the 12.5 in the back sole. At least that’s what I’ve found, though the advice was to make the sole weight a few grams heavier, without a specific weight recommendation. Right now I’m experimenting with 2.5 toe, 2.5 sole, 15 in the heel to get a draw bias and lower flight. 
my driver battle was AI smoke Max D vs BO standard and the BO won out. 

Edited by JAM01
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, phil75070 said:

Interesting with the weights. When I was fit for my Gen 6, it came with 7.5g weights in the heel and back, and a 2.5g weight in the toe for a draw bias. Recently, having a full weight kit to experiment with, I went with the 7.5g weights in the toe and heel and a 5g weight in the back. To perhaps gain even a little more distance by increasing swing speed, I have considered going a little lighter, with 5g weights in the toe and heel, and a 7.5g weight in the heel, or stay with the same overall weight using a 10g weight in the back. Your thoughts?

This PXG Gen 6 is the most consistent driver I have ever owned. The shaft is the Motore X, 1/2" shorter than standard, and I am always amazed after hitting my drive how consistently in the center of the club face I am striking the ball. I can't imagine a Black Ops being that much better.

My buddy, who claims he got 15 more yards than his Gen 5 driver during his Black Ops challenge (though dispersion was way worse for him), said his driver is "on its way". I will get a first-hand look at any distance gains he sees on the course as soon as he gets it, and I'll report back.

The main reason for my choice in weights was to make it neither draw or fade biased, and I wanted 7.5g more head weight because I choke down 1” and needed a bit more swing weight. 

• Like 2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, BirdieBob said:

I’ve gotta get up to Chicago and test…..

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

On 1/7/2024 at 8:56 PM, lefthack said:

I went there to test the fairways. When I walked up, he handed me the lefty driver, so I swung away. Never did try the fairways, or hear what the price was on them. 

He was talking $750 retail and that just seems insane. 

I just paid it. More, in fact, because I upgraded to the Ventus shaft. Got a hero's discount, so with tax and delivery it was just over $800. 

The fitting was the key. I'm moving out of a driver that doesn't spin enough for me anymore. (My swing speed has dropped with age and is now 98-102 mph.) Still, this driver doesn't over-spin. My biggest issue is consistent contact--I'm too high on the clubface. By teeing it a bit lower I was able to move the smash factor up a bit with better contact. 

I'm sure I could have accomplished this with a number of drivers, but I'm new to where I live and just didn't know anyone I could trust. I knew I could trust these guys and that they make a good product. Still not in the tank for PXG; it will be the only club of theirs in my bag. 

• Like 1

On 3/16/2024 at 3:24 PM, BirdieBob said:

Yeah, I gotta now. Just not sure if I use my usual or my new Stealth 2? I haven't been that impressed with the Stealth 2, so likely my Haywood. 

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

I honestly don't think I'll ever book another fitting unless it's outdoors. 😛 

Maybe the $200 challenge seems to suggest we're heading into a price decrease
soon? 😄 

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

I think it shows that they aren't losing much.  

Anyone heard if the tour 1 is on back order?  Order placed a week ago... 3 wood and hybrid on the way, but not driver. 

• Like 1

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

5 minutes ago, bogeypro said:

Anyone heard if the tour 1 is on back order?  Order placed a week ago... 3 wood and hybrid on the way, but not driver. 

Yes, i ordered a Tour 1 about 2 weeks ago. Was told that it’s in backorder….might ship in a couple weeks. 

Kind of annoying in the middle of the launch. It’s too bad that they weren’t ready for all of the good press that they’ve gotten. 

Edited by tomg1969

1 hour ago, bogeypro said:

They keep posting impressive numbers, I'm not sure they have paid out much. Considering what they are charging for it, they seem to be doing ok if it's already backordered. 

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Picked up the driver on Friday and played my first round with it on Saturday (regular BO).  Overall, the driver is solid....On a day where my swing was all over the place, the driver was extremely consistent. Every drive was in the 300-310 range minus 2 drives that felt belted but were 10 yards shorter for some reason.  It's definitely extremely forgiving, had a few that felt awful off the toe but still got out there nicely.  My only complaint is that it doesn't seem to have the bomber in it that just goes but that could also be me since I'm working on my swing after a lesson a couple weeks prior.  I'm still up in the air about going back and trying the tour on a different day and switching out but I'll give this another few rounds. 

Driver: PXG Black Ops TenseiAV Raw White 65x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: Srixon MKII 18* MMT 105x
Irons: Srixon Zx7 MKII Project X 6.5
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

On 3/16/2024 at 3:24 PM, BirdieBob said:

• Like 1

I noticed that my order was banging around all over the country... I called pxg.  The 3 wood and hybrid have shipped FedEx GROUND and they can't provide tracking or delivery estimate (can only tell me where it's been).  To add insult, the tour head is on back order... They have no idea when they'll be in.  They said they hoped by the end of the month.

Ground shipping... That sucks.  I've ordered from the competition and they ship much better.

Be better, pxg.  This is not impressive.

Edited by bogeypro
  • Confused 1

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

Bettinardi BB1 putter

On 3/18/2024 at 6:49 PM, bogeypro said:

I noticed that my order was banging around all over the country... I called pxg.  The 3 wood and hybrid have shipped FedEx GROUND and they can't provide tracking or delivery estimate (can only tell me where it's been).  To add insult, the tour head is on back order... They have no idea when they'll be in.  They said they hoped by the end of the month.

Ground shipping... That sucks.  I've ordered from the competition and they ship much better.

The 3 wood and hybrid showed up today!  Quick range session and 9 holes in golf league... They are excellent!  I can't wait to get the driver.  I generally don't like hybrids, but this 2 hybrid is my favorite that I've hit.  I actually like it!  3 wood is rasy to hit off the fairway, but didn't balloon off the tee. 

Edited by bogeypro
  • Like 1

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

Bettinardi BB1 putter

I suppose I'm glad I'm waiting to buy; I don't think I'll be in the market until I see how my finances work out over the next few months.

Waiting by choice is much easier than being forced to wait. 😄 

Edited by Mikey_HACKilroy

On 3/18/2024 at 4:49 PM, bogeypro said:

FedEx is horrible and their deliveries (for me) are consistently 1-2 days later than expected. One time their tracking showed my club was on a truck in Idaho. They initiated the lost shipment process with PXG so my money could be refunded. Then out of no where the club arrived and FedEx GPS still showed the club on the truck in Idaho.

I asked PXG if it was possible to purchase from them with another company handling shipping and then said no.

Edited by pdxhak
  • Like 1

Taylor Made BRNR 11.5*

Taylor Made Stealth 2 + 5 wood

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Edel SMS 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

42 minutes ago, pdxhak said:

FedEx is horrible and their deliveries (for me) are consistently 1-2 days later than expected. One time their tracking showed my club was on a truck in Idaho. They initiated the lost shipment process with PXG so my money could be refunded. Then out of no where the club arrived and FedEx GPS still showed the club on the truck in Idaho.

I asked PXG if it was possible to purchase from them with another company handling shipping and then said no.

I agree FedEx has always been bad with PXG and I don’t understand why PXG does not switch to UPS or at least make sure everything reaches you within two business days.   No brainer when spending this much for clubs.  You want premium clubs, then provide premium shipping too.   

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, GFish said:

I agree FedEx has always been bad with PXG and I don’t understand why PXG does not switch to UPS or at least make sure everything reaches you within two business days.   No brainer when spending this much for clubs.  You want premium clubs, then provide premium shipping too.   

EXACTLY!!!  Premium shipping should be used.

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

Bettinardi BB1 putter

Went in just to test the BOps against my driver and ended up ordering a new driver. Consistency on mishits was wild from a spin perspective. Most consistent on toe hits I’ve ever tried. Can’t wait to get this new big dog in and on the course! 

• Like 4

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke TD 8 degree w/ Ventus TR 6X
Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Tour 14.5 w/Tensei CK White 70TX

Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue 11 18 degree X flex, Adams Idea Pro 23 X flex
Irons: New Level 623 CB w/Tour Issue DG X100 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zip Core 52, 58 KBS 610 S+ 
Putter: Makefield
Ball: 2024 Chrome Tour X

3 hours ago, GFish said:

FedEx is bad PERIOD

• Like 3

Nothing is safe in my bag!

I haven’t been able to hit the driver yet, but based on all the reviews about dispersion I think PXG’s “non uniform bulge and roll design” may be their secret sauce. They don’t get too specific about it, but I’m thinking they’ve adjusted the budge/roll in certain parts of the face to help control gearing and spin axis. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

The BO Tour couldn’t beat my Callaway Epic Speed TD LS for distance (it was within about 10 yds) but the dispersion was a little bit better.   

We played with shafts and a Tensei Orange worked best — nearly dead straight.    

If they had a shaft that would have given me a slightly higher ball peak the Tour very likely could have won in distance too.   

But we couldn’t get it to peak much over 70’ whereas mine was about 82’ on average.   Ball speed was about 2 mph more with my driver too on most shots. 

The Tour driver is a very nice looking head.   Not that the normal Black Ops isn’t but the Tour just has a classy look to it due to its shape and finish.  

Was a disappointed not to win the competition?   Sure.   

But I was certainly happy that my current driver performs exceptionally well and I didn’t have to spend $1000 on a new driver/shaft.   lol.  

• Like 1