2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

PXG 0311 Black Ops driver

lefthack

Starting to dail my regular 12 degree black ops in,coming from the hooks with TSR3.

I'm set at 11 with 2.5 in heel ,9.5 in back and 5 in the toe.  Really straightened out my ball flight. I was surprised to see that standard was 12.5 and 2 2.5 weights. Think this driver is really going to wow people if they get out and hit it.

Waiting for the txg/CC driver final to be posted. I hit the cobra dark speed ls last weekend and swung it faster and recorded my fastest ball speed ever with it and I was hitting it side by side my tsr2 with autoflex. I did order it on the spot but if the PXG has a really good showing against it I’ll likely get the tour 1. Anxiously been waiting for the video to post. They said later this week on Wednesday and we are into the new week already so I’d imagine it’s dropping today or tomorrow 

1 hour ago, rjp322 said:

Waiting for the txg/CC driver final to be posted. I hit the cobra dark speed ls last weekend and swung it faster and recorded my fastest ball speed ever with it and I was hitting it side by side my tsr2 with autoflex. I did order it on the spot but if the PXG has a really good showing against it I’ll likely get the tour 1. Anxiously been waiting for the video to post. They said later this week on Wednesday and we are into the new week already so I’d imagine it’s dropping today or tomorrow 

Would not put much value into these tests as it boils down to which he, the operator, hits the straightest.  A few off line and that driver is out.  And that goes for most all these drivers in 2024...all very good.

• Like 2

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 9* and 10.5*,  Ventus Blue+ 5x / Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

6 hours ago, snagy2000 said:

Looks like @PXGSocialTeam didn't realize how great Wrxers smash the ball and only made a limited run on Tour-1. 😂 Add in Club Champions driver bracket, they gonna sell a lot more this year. 

LOL, but who doesn't want to game a driver that says "Tour" on it? Then, there are folks who will purposely not game it because they feel like they don't want to be pegged as someone who is hitting it because it says Tour on it. It's sort of a Lose/Lose scenario...... But 2 get the next 1 double price! 😄 

In all seriousness, the biggest adjustment with the Tour-1 I think is the taller face which will require a tee adjustment for most. Still yet, most people aren't going to be able to make that adjustment in a fitting, so the Standard will result in them hitting more or less the same spot as they normally would for a given swing.

So, do they truly fit in to the Standard better? I'm willing to spend $150 to test that theory when the time comes. Just not yet. 😄 

I love the testing part.

Edited by Mikey_HACKilroy

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven (Still Acclimating)

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

FINALS.........and THE WINNER IS.............

Edited by BirdieBob
  • Like 2

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 9* and 10.5*,  Ventus Blue+ 5x / Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

6 minutes ago, snagy2000 said:

Both are so much better than last year's, find the proper shaft for either one and bombs away!

While I liked the cobra, I was just not as consistent with it, but I compared it to the standard black ops. For me it came down to the ping 10k and the black ops. For those two there was no discernible difference. I get a better deal on the Pxg so that’s what I bought. I will say I didn’t hit the tour-1 and I wish I had. But the standard is the best driver I’ve ever hit. 

Black Ops standard vs AI Smoke Max D on trackman today. Both 9 * heads. Riptide vs Tensei Blue. Hit 5 each, made some loft and weight adjustments, then went back and forth. First real swings of the year. Distance, dispersion and spin all leaned to the Black Ops on decent and not so decent swings. My goal is to go with the driver that plays nice when my swing is a mess. Today it was Black Ops. I don’t have any data other than what I saw on the screen. I can spin a driver like a lob wedge, the PXG did well in keeping the spin relatively lower. 

• Like 3

It's crazy how consistent the BO is. Every drive I hit was within 10 yards including some really bad mishits.  I can't wait for it to arrive but now I have a nagging voice in the back of my head that I should have went with the tour since most say it's not much different forgiveness-wise.  Plus I swing horribly in simulators which probably didn't help me leaving the tour out to the right...oh well...I guess I can go the ho route and trade it in within the 30 day window for not much of a loss.

Driver: PXG Black Ops TenseiAV Raw White 65x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: Srixon MKII 18* MMT 105x
Irons: Srixon Zx7 MKII Project X 6.5
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

Went and got my 9* BO Tour-1 Driver at the store on Sunday morning. Only needed the head really as I intended on playing it in both my Autoflex and Proxima.

So I tried every weight configuration / loft combo during the below:

36 holes on Sunday

Went to Golf Galaxy on Monday and rented a bay to hit on Trackman so I could see the actual numbers. I think I hit 87 drives.

Played another 27 holes today

Summary - FOR ME the BO's Tour-1 just isn't better than my current set up. I probably hit current set up better overall. For whatever reason I just got lucky and have it dialed in perfectly.

I will say this though, the Tour-1 head is very forgiving. My miss is on the toe side and the few times I hit it there I didn't lose much at all.

• Like 1

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTERS - LAB MEZZ MAX Blue Head w/White Accra Shaft

LAB MEZZ MAX Red Head w/Black Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

I went back to my local PXG just for a spec check and make sure everything was locked in (went to local sim and had some weird numbers).  I even had him put together a standard head model just cause I was so in my head.  I thankfully and my fitter agreed that the Tour was the best option for me.  It's crazy how good this thing is and I can't wait to get out and have some on course results.

I was in such a good mood.  I ended up walking out of there with a new 3W!  

Edited by iKOH423
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Driver: PXG Black Ops Tour-1 10.5deg - Tour AD TP 6S

Fairway Wood: PXG Black Ops 0311 15deg - Tour AD VR 7S
Hybrid: PXG Black Ops 0311 19deg - Tour AD DI Hyb 85S
Irons: PXG Gen6 0311P 4-GW - DG Mid 115
Wedges: Mizuno T24 54 & 58 S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 / Never Compromise Dinero Prototype 

Ball: Srixon ZStar Diamond (Other testing in progress)

I went over to Golftown here in Nova Scotia to see about a Black Ops fitting once they start selling PXG clubs here in Canada.  Unfortunately it seems that only 10 stores in Canada will actually carry any of the clubs.  My local store can only order but will not have any clubs for fitting or testing.  I have played the Gen4, Gen5, and Gen6 drivers and am very interested in a BO driver.  I asked this question previously but thought I should ask again since I have no way of trying the clubs myself.  

Given a 100mph swingspeed and approximately 3 degrees upward swing, how would the spin rates compare between a 9 degree BO and a 10.5 degree BO Tour-1?  I realize the numbers can change from person to person, but if anyone has any insight I would appreciate it.

PXG Gen6 0311 9.0 with Aldila Rogue MSI125 stiff

PXG 0211 3 and 5 woods

PXG 0317CB with Project X LZ 6.0

Bettinardi Queen Bee B11

54 minutes ago, denismcg said:

I went over to Golftown here in Nova Scotia to see about a Black Ops fitting once they start selling PXG clubs here in Canada.  Unfortunately it seems that only 10 stores in Canada will actually carry any of the clubs.  My local store can only order but will not have any clubs for fitting or testing.  I have played the Gen4, Gen5, and Gen6 drivers and am very interested in a BO driver.  I asked this question previously but thought I should ask again since I have no way of trying the clubs myself.  

Given a 100mph swingspeed and approximately 3 degrees upward swing, how would the spin rates compare between a 9 degree BO and a 10.5 degree BO Tour-1?  I realize the numbers can change from person to person, but if anyone has any insight I would appreciate it.

I float in the 100 - 105 mph range with upward AoA and went with the 10.5* w/ my trusty Ventus Black from my Gen5. Shoots out great, lower than the standard BOP, and rolls a mile. Just me, but I would not consider anything less than 10.5* degrees in Tour-1 unless you can move it 110+ mph. There's a video posted in one of the BOP threads which talk about results at 100 mph and they basically say the same thing. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, denismcg said:

Thanks,. I was thinking either a 9* BO or 10.5 T1.  Just wish I could demo them.

Likewise, looking to compare one to my current setup with all of the chatter! 

Titleist TSR2 11 w/ 2024 Fujikura Ventus + Blue 6 

TaylorMade Qi10 16.5 w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 7

Titleist TSR2 7 wood 21 w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8 

PXG 0311X 18 w/ Graphite Design DI 95

PXG Gen 6 DC P's 5-GW w/ Fujikura Axiom 105

PXG SD2 56/60 Raw w/ LA Golf WV 115

Scotty Cameron 009 

Titleist ProV1X

Vessel Player IV

I have had my standard BO driver a few weeks now.  10.5* set to 12*  At the time of the fitting the BO didn’t outperform the G425 Max but I bought it because the fitter took $150 off.   Last night I hit the best drive I have had in a very long time.  On Trackman, 250 carry, 284 yards total distance, 142 mph ball speed, 13.1* launch.  I’m happy enough with this that I’m looking at the fairways and hybrids although I’m happy with the Gen 6 I have now.  

just got my notification that the driver is ready for pickup and I'm playing on Saturday.  I'll report back.  I'm playing a course I know well so it should be pretty easy to tell about any on-course gains.

Driver: PXG Black Ops TenseiAV Raw White 65x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: Srixon MKII 18* MMT 105x
Irons: Srixon Zx7 MKII Project X 6.5
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

On 3/12/2024 at 5:29 PM, ferrispgm said:

It's crazy how consistent the BO is. Every drive I hit was within 10 yards including some really bad mishits.  I can't wait for it to arrive but now I have a nagging voice in the back of my head that I should have went with the tour since most say it's not much different forgiveness-wise.  Plus I swing horribly in simulators which probably didn't help me leaving the tour out to the right...oh well...I guess I can go the ho route and trade it in within the 30 day window for not much of a loss.

Ya know, I had the same exact experience. I know it is because I'm not used to using them, but indoor simulators still mess with my senses. I get completely psyched out.

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

1 hour ago, snagy2000 said:

Plus, you're not always using the ball you play. I bring mine for any fitting. 

I suppose, but given the experience I'd need a ball that could hit itself... lol

I know it was an outlier at least. I think I'd probably like either one, but the deeper face of the T-1 has me convinced it's calling my name.

Tough call if I should invest in the BO

played my second round with the Gen6 std.  getting the most consistent, longest and most accurate drives as I can remember.  I choke down 1” and use 2 7.5g weights on front and 10g in the back.  I middled close to 2/3 drives, and the hits high on the face travel close to middle strikes and are accurate.  The shaft is soft to flex, so I’m debating tipping it 1” to lower the spin a bit more. 

I picked this up mint second hand for 300cnd, about 220usd and see a nib BO for 600cnd….its about 1/3 off retail. Tough decision to “upgrade” when I tuned the loft/lie and weights where I like them in the Gen6.  We all know PXG is great but loses its resale value fast, so if I buy will get stuck losing some $. 

so…I would need a really good argument to purchase.  Something like 10yards more carry, even tighter dispersion (dunno if that’s possible) and better carry/accuracy on mishits (dunno if that’s possible either) 

1 hour ago, roundersmitty said:

played my second round with the Gen6 std.  getting the most consistent, longest and most accurate drives as I can remember.  I choke down 1” and use 2 7.5g weights on front and 10g in the back.  I middled close to 2/3 drives, and the hits high on the face travel close to middle strikes and are accurate.  The shaft is soft to flex, so I’m debating tipping it 1” to lower the spin a bit more. 

I picked this up mint second hand for 300cnd, about 220usd and see a nib BO for 600cnd….its about 1/3 off retail. Tough decision to “upgrade” when I tuned the loft/lie and weights where I like them in the Gen6.  We all know PXG is great but loses its resale value fast, so if I buy will get stuck losing some $. 

so…I would need a really good argument to purchase.  Something like 10yards more carry, even tighter dispersion (dunno if that’s possible) and better carry/accuracy on mishits (dunno if that’s possible either) 

Due to the improved face (AFM) you will find better dispersion in the Black Ops drivers vs Gen6.

Here is the chart data on that:

image.jpeg.8f6e26e6c0cf069c4ffe3a8c40d1d573.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roundersmitty said:

If you're happy with the Gen 6 and it is a great improvement, stick with it for a while.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BirdieBob said:

Due to the improved face (AFM) you will find better dispersion in the Black Ops drivers vs Gen6.

Here is the chart data on that:

image.jpeg.8f6e26e6c0cf069c4ffe3a8c40d1d573.jpeg

Will the high toe miss be as good or better with the BO? Last round I hit 2 that were 3/8”-1/2” high center and high toe (brutal and possibly even -AOA) And these launched higher and spun the perfect amount to get mind blowing results from such a poor strike.