PXG 0311 Black Ops driver

lefthack

4 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

We all knew you had more. Safe trip back. Had to have went for the WM. You blackout? You chant “we want beer”??

I figured out that the Stealth 2+ is just too low spin for me. BO driver will be getting ordered without a fitting g. Just can’t decide 9 or 10.5. 

Nah, too old for that black-out stuff...The general public got cut-off, but the suites had the drinks...BOP launches high, you can always lower a 10.5* and spin as well...Not so much if you go other way...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, snagy2000 said:

Nah, too old for that black-out stuff...The general public got cut-off, but the suites had the drinks...BOP launches high, you can always lower a 10.5* and spin as well...Not so much if you go other way...

Haha. Yea, lives there for years and the WM just got tougher and tougher to go as I got older as general pop. 

Yea, I like to open it up and lower it anyway. 10.5 is what I was thinking. Using the TM made for shaft Diamana T+. Love this thing. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

22 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

Haha. Yea, lives there for years and the WM just got tougher and tougher to go as I got older as general pop. 

Yea, I like to open it up and lower it anyway. 10.5 is what I was thinking. Using the TM made for shaft Diamana T+. Love this thing. 

If you want to open it up for sure get the 10.5. You have a month to try it out anyway. The Diamana T+ huh? Is that a blueboard or whiteboard profile?

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

23 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

If you want to open it up for sure get the 10.5. You have a month to try it out anyway. The Diamana T+ huh? Is that a blueboard or whiteboard profile?

Yea, 10.5 opened a touch sounds good. T+ is a TM made for that MCA says it resembles the Diamana GT. I had an hour on the monitor with it and it was pretty unicorn for me. Cheap shaft and performed really well. More blueboard than white. Almost too low spin which is unheard for me. I can’t wait to try it in a BO. Stealth 2+ was seeing 1600-1700 spin. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

37 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

Yea, 10.5 opened a touch sounds good. T+ is a TM made for that MCA says it resembles the Diamana GT. I had an hour on the monitor with it and it was pretty unicorn for me. Cheap shaft and performed really well. More blueboard than white. Almost too low spin which is unheard for me. I can’t wait to try it in a BO. Stealth 2+ was seeing 1600-1700 spin. 

Similar experience here. “Crappy” Stock Qi 10 Diamana T+ works great! Bought a 9 degree lofted up a degree. 

Great driver! 

• Like 1

• Like 3

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

11 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

You win what?

The #BlackOpsDriverChallenge has begun Book your free challenge fitting at a #PXG store
or fitting location between Feb. 15 and March 15 to participate
HERE'S HOW IT WORKS: If our new PXG Black Ops Driver or new PXG Black Ops Tour-1 Driver
fail to outperform your current driver by delivering either more distance or tighter dispersion during your fitting, we'll email you a $100 USD Mastercard Rewards Card.

Tap here:
https://pxg.golf/PXGBlackOpsChallengeYT to
get booked
Full terms and conditions on PXG.com/en-us/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

1 hour ago, BirdieBob said:

The #BlackOpsDriverChallenge has begun Book your free challenge fitting at a #PXG store
or fitting location between Feb. 15 and March 15 to participate
HERE'S HOW IT WORKS: If our new PXG Black Ops Driver or new PXG Black Ops Tour-1 Driver
fail to outperform your current driver by delivering either more distance or tighter dispersion during your fitting, we'll email you a $100 USD Mastercard Rewards Card.

Tap here:
https://pxg.golf/PXGBlackOpsChallengeYT to
get booked
Full terms and conditions on PXG.com/en-us/

I lost the Gen6 challenge by 1 yard. 

• Like 4

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

7 hours ago, roundersmitty said:

What did it beat? I just bought a gen6 second hand for cheap.  Didn’t even hit it yet.  Just figure I could test it with various shafts I have with PXG adapters. 

Beat out my OG Stealth+ TR Blue. They put me in a AD XC 5 so I was swinging faster for sure. Like try my Stealth 2 + Diamana T+ against a BO. 

• Like 2

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Went and got fit today for the Black Ops driver at the Oak Brook, IL location.  My current gamer was just too spinny for me and was leaving a lot out there in terms of yardage.

Worked primarily with the standard Black Ops head and went through multiple shafts (AV White, HZRDUS Black, Motore).  In the end the optimal combo was the std Black Ops 10.5 with the GD Tour AD TP 6S shaft.   Of course my curiosity got the better of me and I was intrigued at the Tour head....oh man.  I actually loved the profile standing over it and I immediately connected with it the first few swings with the GD shaft.

The numbers were actually pretty comparable for me between the two heads and I was torn in which to go with.  Ultimately I felt more comfortable looking down at the Tour at address and that's what I ended up going with.  I can't wait to get it in and hit the course/sim....really hope I made the right choice!

• Like 4

Driver: PXG Black Ops Tour-1 10.5deg - Tour AD TP 6S

Fairway Wood: PXG Black Ops 0311 15deg - Tour AD VR 7S
Hybrid: PXG Black Ops 0311 19deg - Tour AD DI Hyb 85S
Irons: PXG Gen6 0311P 4-GW - DG Mid 115
Wedges: Mizuno T24 54 & 58 S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 / Never Compromise Dinero Prototype 

Ball: Srixon ZStar Diamond (Other testing in progress)

I took my new Black Ops I was fit at PXG for to my guy at Club Champion who I’m very good friends with and trust in terms of fitting.  Because we’re friends, he recommended I go through PXG because I also get Hero discount.   Even he said he couldn’t believe how well my ball flight/action was since changing over to BO.  Spin dropped significantly from Paradym and dispersion was super tight.  I hit Smoke driver and spin again was hovering around 3500.  We did play around with some additional shafts which PXG doesn’t carry.  I did see small improvements in distance so now that’s on my radar but even he said, he’d be more than happy to sell me a $400 shaft but didn’t think it was necessary.  

Edited by mtnbiker5
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, iKOH423 said:

Went and got fit today for the Black Ops driver at the Oak Brook, IL location.  My current gamer was just too spinny for me and was leaving a lot out there in terms of yardage.

Worked primarily with the standard Black Ops head and went through multiple shafts (AV White, HZRDUS Black, Motore).  In the end the optimal combo was the std Black Ops 10.5 with the GD Tour AD TP 6S shaft.   Of course my curiosity got the better of me and I was intrigued at the Tour head....oh man.  I actually loved the profile standing over it and I immediately connected with it the first few swings with the GD shaft.

The numbers were actually pretty comparable for me between the two heads and I was torn in which to go with.  Ultimately I felt more comfortable looking down at the Tour at address and that's what I ended up going with.  I can't wait to get it in and hit the course/sim....really hope I made the right choice!

I hope the tour head works for me because it looks fantastic.  Plan on doing my fitting with them in April locally.  

Driver: Cobra LTDX 9 degree; HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black

Fairway Wood: Taylormade M6 15 degree

Titleist u510 2 iron

Srixon ZX5 4-PW; ACCRA iSteel 115

Wedges Vokey SM9 58/54/48

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 2 

5 hours ago, ANimz said:

I hope the tour head works for me because it looks fantastic.  Plan on doing my fitting with them in April locally.  

I'm with ya!  I loved the look 1000% more at address than I did with the standard head.  I had much more confidence with the tour and felt I could get after it where I didn't really feel that way with the standard.  I can't wait for it to come in and get some swings with it and confirm I made the right choice.

Driver: PXG Black Ops Tour-1 10.5deg - Tour AD TP 6S

Fairway Wood: PXG Black Ops 0311 15deg - Tour AD VR 7S
Hybrid: PXG Black Ops 0311 19deg - Tour AD DI Hyb 85S
Irons: PXG Gen6 0311P 4-GW - DG Mid 115
Wedges: Mizuno T24 54 & 58 S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 / Never Compromise Dinero Prototype 

Ball: Srixon ZStar Diamond (Other testing in progress)

1 hour ago, iKOH423 said:

I'm with ya!  I loved the look 1000% more at address than I did with the standard head.  I had much more confidence with the tour and felt I could get after it where I didn't really feel that way with the standard.  I can't wait for it to come in and get some swings with it and confirm I made the right choice.

Look good, feel good, play good...Exactly why I bought the T-1...

7 hours ago, snagy2000 said:

Look good, feel good, play good...Exactly why I bought the T-1...

Yeh as I posted earlier the standard BO definitely didn't work for me, to spinny. Not even close to beating out the G4/AF combo.

The BO Tour was marginally better but nothing drastic. Just waiting for a Tour Head to show up on the BST. May just have to pick one up.

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG One and Done w/Super Stroke 5.0
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

I don’t think the standard Black Ops is high spin, it can be whatever you want it to be. If you get fit at PXG and the fitter is good it is very easy to get spin on the standard dialed in. Drop the loft, change the weights, shaft. Tour head looks great but I actually prefer the look of the standard. If I am going lower-spin head, I would opt for the Qi10 LS, the best looking low spin head this year IMO. But probably not my best move. 

The standard Black Ops is off-the-charts forgiving and suits my eye, reminds me of a blend of a Callaway and Ping driver. The Tour was significantly less forgiving when I tested them and I figured however it looks in a fitting bay will actually be a little worse on the course. I mean, even PXG staffer Eric Cole tested the Black Ops and put the standard in play. If he is not playing the Tour head, it’s worth noting. Solid strikes were fine, like all drivers. Standard beat it on the playability of the worst shots. It does not want to twist and you can feel that. Hit it off the toe and it does not want to twist. (It wins on producing less wanderability, which is not a real word.)

I dialed in the spin by dropping to a 9 degree head. Spin is in the 2200-2400 range, right where I need it. I was too worried I would like the look of the Tour in the fitting bay, which I did, but would see some challenges on wayward shots. And I decided to choose a head based on which one produces the best results on the worst swings because good swings don’t really matter, almost any driver works. 

Standard has been very forgiving on left/right dispersion on the course. I have had no trouble keeping it in play. Even when I leave the face open a little — my most common miss — it does not leak as far right as other drivers I’ve played. The high MOI on it has a benefit. Hard to say whether I am leaving a few yards on the table. I’m hitting it longer than my Paradym Triple D, a higher loft at 10.5. But I’m also not hitting my second shot sideways to escape the trees. 

Edited by dmeeksDC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I didn't have my driver with me at the demo, so I am doing the challenge this week for fun. I'm pretty sure the Black Ops was better, but my driver swing has been ok, so it could be interesting.

Seems like it has worked for at least a few folks here. 

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Does the Tour-1 really launch all that lower given the same swing?

Current Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven (Still Acclimating)

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Soon to be Retired)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

1 hour ago, Mikey_HACKilroy said:

Does the Tour-1 really launch all that lower given the same swing?

Black Ops Standard:

"This change helps the 0311 Black Ops to be the highest launching driver while keeping its spin in the lower half of all drivers tested, per PXG’s data.  It was also the second longest (one foot short of first) in that testing, which included every significant driver on the market."

PXG 0311 Black Ops Driver Review - Plugged In Golf

Black Ops Tour:

"The raison d’etre for the Black Ops Tour-1 driver is low spin, and it delivers.  In PXG’s testing, it was the lowest spinning driver by almost 400 RPM at 100 MPH club speed and by 140 RPM at 120 MPH.  That gap at 100 MPH is bigger than the one from #2 to #12 (last place)!  Comparing Tour-1 to standard Black Ops, the gap is about 400 RPM at 100 MPH and over 500 at 120 MPH.  That low spin is paired with low launch.  At both testing speeds, Black Ops Tour-1 was within 0.2 of the lowest launching driver.  For the high spin player, the Black Ops Tour-1 is going to be a missile launcher. "

PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 Driver Review - Plugged In Golf

Edited by BirdieBob

I guess I'm just gonna have to see. I've read it all and I guess I just keep coming back here to "graze" when I should just try it. 😄

Fitting booked for Friday. Seems a good day to do it.

I just tried out a Gen 4 Black and found it to be quite illuminating. I expected to see a notable drop in trajectory. On some drives, sure, but most were still the same trajectory as before, but noticeably farther and more accurate even.

(Of course, then some were down right duds and a few knuckle balls; but I hit those with the Riptide, too).

Current Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven (Still Acclimating)

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Soon to be Retired)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

The black ops can be a little spinny but I think it depends on shaft primarily. I dropped a good bit of spin going to the tensei white. I also play a brava and it spins a little more. But it’s the longest, lowest spin driver they’ve made and retains every bit of forgiveness. I have no regrets with the purchase. Even if the smoke or dark speed may have been a tad longer. I went back and bought a 4 wood and a hybrid I was so impressed. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

The standard Black Ops is off-the-charts forgiving and suits my eye, reminds me of a blend of a Callaway and Ping driver.

I'm playing the 0311 XF Gen 6 fairways and hybrids and am really liking the adjustability (moving weights around to produce a fade bias).

I haven't done well with Ping drivers in the past because I'm weight sensitive and their heads are heavy. Then I lighten the back weight but that reduces the forgiveness to Callaway territory, and I end up playing Callaway  because looks and sound/feel are better than Ping IMO.

The only thing that worries me about the Black Ops is the weight, which is almost in Ping territory (203g vs Ping 205g IIRC). I would be ordering blind, so does the Black Ops feel heavy to swing like a Ping in its standard weight configuration?

3 minutes ago, GolfTurkey said:

I'm playing the 0311 XF Gen 6 fairways and hybrids and am really liking the adjustability (moving weights around to produce a fade bias).

I haven't done well with Ping drivers in the past because I'm weight sensitive and their heads are heavy. Then I lighten the back weight but that reduces the forgiveness to Callaway territory, and I end up playing Callaway  because looks and sound/feel are better than Ping IMO.

The only thing that worries me about the Black Ops is the weight, which is almost in Ping territory (203g vs Ping 205g IIRC). I would be ordering blind, so does the Black Ops feel heavy to swing like a Ping in its standard weight configuration?

Are you really weight sensitive or is it that you are head weight sensitive and have you ever tested it? There’s a difference. I am with you on not liking heavy feeling drivers, but if I cannot at all middle a driver it is typically one of two things: shaft is wrong length for me or the “total build weight” is light. (Or yes, just one of those days because that’s golf.) I am a longtime Callaway driver fan and I still have a few heads here. A buddy and I were tonight hitting various combos into a net so we weighed them all for you. (There’s a strong chance I’ll be installing a Graphite Design Tour AD HD 6S in the PXG. Man that shaft is tight.)

The Black Ops is a tweener. Heavier than Callaway, lighter than Ping. I don’t know how PXG or Ping weighs them. I do it with no adaptor but it does have the adaptor screw in the head. So this at least gives you a like comparison with Callaway. 

Heads we weighed:

Callaway Rogue ST MAX LS 9, standard Speed 9, Paradym Triple D 10.5 — all are 193g. 

Mavrik Sub Zero 9 — 195g

standard Black Ops 9 — 197g

Black Ops is probably closer to Callaway weight than Ping. But it is so adjustable it can be whatever you want. If you are worried about MOI, I doubt reducing one weight for feel would be a problem so if it feels heavy to you, you could try that.

The other solution is leave the head alone and add weight under your hands. I’ve had great success with that when I am dialing in impact because like you I don’t want the club to feel heavy, but I need the weight. I do not focus on swing weight, which is not real weight. Whatever it is, it is. But total build weight I do need.  I’ve played drivers at C8 that were not at all light, so if you like the driver overall there’s more than one way to get the feel and forgiveness you seek.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

Are you really weight sensitive or is it that you are head weight sensitive and have you ever tested it?

I've tested and I would say I'm head weight, swing weight and shaft weight sensitive.

Somewhere around C8/C9, 55-62g shaft and 193-195g head weights have worked for me.

The worst driver I ever bought and played on course was a Ping fitting where I somehow (maybe I ate a steroid-laced steak the night before?) got fit into a G425 LST in a 72g shaft.

I was chunking and thinning that thing around for 9 holes before I canned it.

4 hours ago, Aucaveman said:

The black ops can be a little spinny but I think it depends on shaft primarily. I dropped a good bit of spin going to the tensei white. I also play a brava and it spins a little more. But it’s the longest, lowest spin driver they’ve made and retains every bit of forgiveness. I have no regrets with the purchase. Even if the smoke or dark speed may have been a tad longer. I went back and bought a 4 wood and a hybrid I was so impressed. 

I put the 4 wood in the bag and so far I have been super impressed with it. Makes me want to grab the driver to match it. This place is just not kind to the bank balance...

• Like 1

Has anyone compared the spin loft for loft of the standard Black Ops vs the ai Smoke Max?

I struggle to spin driver and am usually in the 2,100-2,300 range with the Callaway 10.5 degree max models. If the BO is significantly lower spin than Callaway, I'll just be hitting knuckle balls. If it's similar, I'll probably take a chance on it.